As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NSFW] Art and comics what I done. - I'm not dead.

• Options
    Boston House PartyBoston House Party Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mmmmm, self-referential humor.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Many comics have running gags.

I see you have a bashing-its-head-through-airplane-window gag.

Nice job!

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well it's not so much a running gag as a really long setup for the punchline she hadn't delivered. It's not going to show up again or anything.

Boston House Party on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ah, I see! It's incredibly extended continuity, which is a lot funnier than I gave it credit for.

What makes it difficult to get that hook is you changed your art style so much that it's hard to tell these are the same people from the previous comic. Color vs. Black & White, no cross-hatching. I couldn't tell the guy in the plane was Tom.

Granted, making this connection will be very satisfying for your most observant fans, but for the arguably dim (like myself) it's probably going to go right past them. We need more clues!

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    ohhhhh.

I think the style difference is not so bad. I would have gotten it if I'd been browsing the comics on the site, probably - it's just been so long since the first strip was posted that I'd forgotten it existed.

tynic on
  • Options
    JerichoTheKingJerichoTheKing Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I saw your strip here first. I've stumbled upon the birthday skeleton strip at least three times. I ran through all of your comics last night at bb&bpp.com. You are awesome.

JerichoTheKing on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Paradise wrote: »
    Draw backgrounds. Blank background looks boring.

I actually like them without the backgrounds. Or at least just having what is necessary. With the way that he frames his panels they'd likely just look too cluttered. I'd often agree with you, but it's a nice minimalist style...kind of. Whatever it is, I like it.

This most recent one had just enough to give context, and that's all it needed.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I've just started up a little side blog hosting the sketches I've been doing while travelling around London, the first 25 are up now.

http://peopleoftheunderground.blogspot.com/

Boston House Party on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Haha, the last comic was clever. I still think you should experiment with different types of backgrounds. Get some mood into them, and play with composition like you're doing in your sketch blog.

Speaking of which, that sketch blog is fun to look at. I like the "Cafe Edition" stuff the best.

Paradise on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Those sketches are awesome

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    Automatic JackAutomatic Jack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    These remind me of Scott McCloud's 24 Hour Comics challenges.

The sketches are really nice, but did the subjects really all have the same expression? Maybe find some couple talking animatedly and try to capture their facial emotions. Turn those frowns upside down!

Automatic Jack on
    PAsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    turns out I'm not dead, just busy as hell and moved to a new place without a scanner again! now there's a new comic up
    NSFW WARNING, CARTOON BONERS.
    JdSalinger-1.png

Boston House Party on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    would have appreciated a nsfw there bro

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sorry dude, it's spoilered now.

Boston House Party on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sorry dude, it's spoilered now.

Don't spoiler it, just make this topic NSFW! (edit the original post, go to advanced)

Or link it, because spoilered images still load on computers.

Also, I loved the build up in this one but the payoff falls flat for me.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Also guys since my sister won't shut up about it I have a tumblr now at http://booksandbeers.tumblr.com/ where I'll be posting my underground sketches instead of the blog, also cross posting most comics I make and stuff.

edit: here are my two favourites from the set I'm exhibiting soon
    DSCF2007.jpg

DSCF2006.jpg

Boston House Party on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Im nnot very fond of this comic, sorry BHP. It might be that its just not for me though.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hey all, sorry I've been sporadic, so much shit going down at the moment, and I've been feeling pretty depressed about my work. here's some stuff though I guess.

Badnews-1.jpg

DSCF2071.jpg
    DSCF2072.jpg
    DSCF2069.jpg
    DSCF2068.jpg

Boston House Party on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's both terrible and relieving at the same time.

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Another great comic! I really like the layout and flow of it.

And I really like that first portrait.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I reported this god damn thread for awesome because it has simultaneously made me laugh and gape in awe at your art. Love the style, love the humor and love the overall feel of this. Don't ever stop.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Some people have complained about the punchline of this comic, and you have said that you would really like to keep the title of the book as is, and I think I figured out how to keep everyone happy!
    billynightmarefix.jpg

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Some people have complained about the punchline of this comic, and you have said that you would really like to keep the title of the book as is, and I think I figured out how to keep everyone happy!
    billynightmarefix.jpg

Brilliant.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hahaha yes. To everything.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i need you to know that i was at a restaurant waiting for food, i checked my phone and read birthday skeleton on my facebook wall and i laughed hysterically for like 10 minutes
    i couldn't stop, people stared.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That's my favorite one. Boston, would it be okay if I printed it out on my plotter at work and hung it up on my wall as a poster?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

billynightmarefix.jpg

Brilliant.

Yeah, that works much better.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That's my favorite one. Boston, would it be okay if I printed it out on my plotter at work and hung it up on my wall as a poster?

Hey josh, feel free, if you want I can also get you a nice professionally made print done and sign it and maybe do a little doodle on it and such.

Also Primus, mind if I use your version of my comic on the site?

Boston House Party on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Also figured I might as well post this here, concept for an illustration/print, think it needs something extra but I can't think what.

DSCF2080-1.jpg

Boston House Party on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Hey josh, feel free, if you want I can also get you a nice professionally made print done and sign it and maybe do a little doodle on it and such.

You're already dangerously close to becoming my favorite person, that would put it right over the edge

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    There's a print shop in soho I could check prices at, what size would you want? Also do you just want the cover splash or the whole comic?

Boston House Party on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Would it fit on 16"x20"? I don't know what the optimal size for that particular comic would be. Maybe 12" by 36", since it's kind of long?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    NanakiNanaki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Omgah I want one! Or just permision to print one out and display it as well.

I'm a secret admirer.

Nanaki on
    Let's look death in the face and say, "Whatever, man!"
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Also Primus, mind if I use your version of my comic on the site?

Dude you don't even have to credit me, just let me send you the PSD so you can save it at whatever quality you usually post your comics at.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That really does work far, far better. I didn't laugh at that particular comic initially, but I chuckled aloud at the switcharound even though I already knew what was coming.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    2010-07-22-knockknockjokes.jpg

People who want prints: I checked a few places but they seemed too steep for what I'm willing to charge you guys, I'm going to price some more print shops in the next few days.

Boston House Party on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    sweeeeet

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Diggin' it. It's a more standard joke than you often do, but that doesn't mean it's not funny.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Some illustrations from a series that I'm going to turn in to woodcuts.

Death
    DSCF2094.jpg

Famine
    DSCF2093.jpg

Boston House Party on