As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Just got a Wii, Game recomendations?

EliminationElimination Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Pretty much as the title says. I've got it online as well, i've so far picked up Monster Hunter Tri, and the newest Prince of Persia.

Any game type is welcome, including Wiiware titles.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
Elimination on

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zack and Wiki Quest For Barbaros' Treasure
    LoZ Twilight Princess
    Elebits
    Animal Crossing
    SUPER MARIO GALAXY 1 AND 2

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • GuffreyGuffrey Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lego Anything
    A Boy and His Blob
    New Super Mario Bro

Guffrey on
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Metroid Trilogy / Metroid Prime Corruption
    + the Gamecube Metroid games

Hell, there's still a shitton of good Gamecube games floating out there, if you don't already have some.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well for me Smash Brothers is a must have.

One game I sunk a lot of hours into was Boom Blox

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No More Heroes and the sequel.

Jubeh on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Hell, there's still a shitton of good Gamecube games floating out there, if you don't already have some.

oh man, good luck on finding Metroid Prime Trilogy in the wild. as soon as Nintendo announced they were ceasing to press discs for MPT, they disappeared really quickly. the recommendation is definitely worth it.

i'll also second Zack and Wiki. the Trauma Center games are pretty fun.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I found this on stumbleupon the other day
    http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Wii

EskimoDave on
  • RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I know the controls aren't the best but Okami is a really solid game

And since you can play Gamecube games on the Wii as well, I'll just go ahead and suggest The Wind Waker

Rayze on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    http://slashsignal.wikispaces.com/Nintendo+Wii

Hasn't been updated since last month though!

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sir Carcass on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
    New Super Mario Bros. Wii
    Super Paper Mario (essentially a side-scrolling RPG that plays like a Mario game)

WiiWare:
    Megaman 9 and 10
    My Pokemon Ranch (essentially extra storage if you're into that sort of thing).
    The Phoenix Wright series (OBJECTION!)
    Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People
    The Monkey Island series

As far as Wii Shop, you'll just have to dig. There are hundreds of old titles here.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Excite Truck was incredibly fun in a way that almost didn't make sense for how simple the game was.

WiiWare: World of Goo

DeliciousTacos on
  • TavataarTavataar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Boom Blox!

Tavataar on
    -Tavataar
  • NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wii Resort, Red Steel 2, Mario Kart Wii, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Bleach: Shattered Blade, super Smash Brother brawl,

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My Wii came with Wii resort,it is really fun i was surprised. Also i had no idea Fire Emblem was on the Wii, that is awesome.

I got No More Heroes, that game is fantastically hilarious and fun. Especially recharging your sword.

Also how do i find my friend code so i can play Monster Hunter Tri with PA people? How do i chat online over the Wii as well? USB Keyboard? Or is there some kind of headset or something? I've had the thing for a day, not sure how it all works yet.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    WiiWare: The BIT.TRIP series, particularly BIT.TRIP BEAT and BIT.TRIP RUNNER. Look up videos on youtube.

SteevL on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm really enjoying Mario Galaxy 2

If you didn't play the Phoenix Wright games on the DS, play them on the Wii

joshofalltrades on
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Harvest Moon: Animal Parade - Many people, myself included, say this is the best Harvest Moon game in the series.

Rune Factory Frontier - Definitely the best of the Rune Factory games.

Little King Story

Zack and Wiki

New Super Mario Bros

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2

Sin & Punishment

Dragonball Z Tenkaichi Budokai 3 - shut up it has awesome Wii controls

Taya on
  • supertallsupertall Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Resident Evil 4

supertall on
  • histronichistronic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    supertall wrote: »
    Resident Evil 4

This game is just so perfect with the Wii controls. Also both Super Mario Galaxies and the New Super Mario Brothers are very good. World of Goo is a lot of fun and is only $10 iirc on WiiWare. The Metroid Series is also really good.

Not to hijack this thread or anything but are there any good RPG's for the Wii?

histronic on
    WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
    PSN: rlinkmanl
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

oh man, good luck on finding Metroid Prime Trilogy in the wild. as soon as Nintendo announced they were ceasing to press discs for MPT, they disappeared really quickly. the recommendation is definitely worth it.

Wait what!? Shit. I was gonna pick those up some time. :(

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Peter PrinciplePeter Principle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Definitely RE4 for single player and Mario Kart Wii for group play. Wii Sports and Sports resort are also great for group play. Heh.

CoD :World at War was a fun if disappointingly short game (the no-zombie level thing kinda sucked, too).

I found Alien Syndrome to be a lot of fun. It's an isometric shooter with RP elements, a bit like Diablo...in space!

Peter Principle on
    "A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I found Alien Syndrome to be a lot of fun. It's an isometric shooter with RP elements, a bit like Diablo...in space!

You have no idea how many of my buttons this sentence just pushed. This thread is turning out helpful for me. Thanks OP!

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Personally, I liked Dead Space: Extraction, but others have told me that I may be broken.

Ruckus on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Taya wrote: »
    Harvest Moon: Animal Parade - Many people, myself included, say this is the best Harvest Moon game in the series.

Confirming this to be the truth

Kochikens on
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Muramasa is still one of the best looking games I've played this year.

Artereis on
  • BinaBina Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have addiction issues with House of the Dead 2 & 3 -- cheesy, old-school arcade-style shooter. I think I just love using me some Wii Light Guns! And House of the Dead: Overkill is just ... bizarre. I recommend.

Bina on
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    RE4 Wii Edition is pretty much the best version of RE4, so if you've never played RE4 it's a must-buy. To do this day it is my favorite Wii game apart from Twilight Princess (lately I haven't had enough money or time to keep up though).

LoneIgadzra on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like the PC version of RE4, although the mouse mods were somewhat janky when I tried them, if for no other reason other than the mod that lets Leon keep his snazzy jacket through the whole game.

Orogogus on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Okami.

Seriously, get Okami.

Edit: Unless you have a PS2, the controls are much better on PS2.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
    edited July 2010
    I've already beaten Okami and RE4 on PS2 unfortunately =(

RE4 was awesome, my fav RE game. Anyhow, does anyone here know anything about the Crystal Chronicles games for the Wii? I have the Gamecube one and really enjoyed it, same with the DS one i have. If i liked the others would i like the Wii ones?

I just picked up RE Umbrella Chronicles tonight because the girl i live with is a massive RE fan and it was super cheap. Looks like there are the 4 PHantasy Star games on Wiiware, I love #2 and #4 so i'll be picking those up asap.

That harvest moon and Rune Factory whatever games look really fun too.

Elimination on
  • chezwick beatle hammerchezwick beatle hammer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    if you are up for a game you can probably only play half an hour at a time but laugh your ass off while you do it. MAD World, not a great game but fucking awesome. Also zelda twilight princess holy motherfuck zelda:mrgreen:

chezwick beatle hammer on
  • LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nyxquest/wiiware is a fun puzzle oriented side scroller. It can also be played two players in a similar way as the mario galaxy games. In that the second player controls the pointer elements of the game.

Lucid on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

RE4 was awesome, my fav RE game. Anyhow, does anyone here know anything about the Crystal Chronicles games for the Wii? I have the Gamecube one and really enjoyed it, same with the DS one i have. If i liked the others would i like the Wii ones?

I just picked up RE Umbrella Chronicles tonight because the girl i live with is a massive RE fan and it was super cheap. Looks like there are the 4 PHantasy Star games on Wiiware, I love #2 and #4 so i'll be picking those up asap.

Dude, I just picked up a Wii a month ago and got Monster Hunter Tri. We should slay some monsters.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010

Dude, I just picked up a Wii a month ago and got Monster Hunter Tri. We should slay some monsters.

This is a fantastic idea, i haven't put it online yet.

Elimination on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Little King's Story.
    Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
    Sin and Punishment: Successors of the Sky

Those are the best 3 third-party games on the system. Get them.

Xagarath on
  • physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A few of my favourites (some have already been mentioned, but they're worth repeating to emphasize how good they are):
    • Zack & Wiki: Great point-and-click puzzle/adventure game. It's extremely rewarding when you figure out the solution to the levels on your own.
    • Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2: Best 3D platformers ever made with wickedly creative level design.
    • New Super Mario Bros. Wii: One of the best 2D Mario games, in my opinion. Once again, the level design is awesome and it's pure classic Mario. I found this game to be way more fun than New Super Mario Bros. on the DS.
    • Punch-Out!: If you liked the previous Punch-Out! games, you absolutely need to play this one. They've perfected the boxer-as-a-puzzle mechanic. There's also great replay value.
    • Metroid Prime 3: If you played and liked the previous 2 games, you should play this one. Not as good as Prime 1 in my opinion, but very fun nonetheless.
    • Mega Man 9 (Wii Ware): If you like Mega Man games, you'll like this one. It has one of my favourite soundtracks in the series.
    • World of Goo (Wii Ware): Amazing puzzle game! Very original and some great game mechanics.

physi_marc on
    3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Personally, I liked Dead Space: Extraction, but others have told me that I may be broken.

I just purchased this and I'm enjoying it very much so myself. The grabby thing gets a little annoying, but I like it.

toolbert on
    edited July 2010
    Artereis wrote: »
    Muramasa is still one of the best looking games I've played this year.

I saw this one in the store for $29.99. It's 2D (Which i like actually.) but i was unsure of if it was actually any good.

Also, how long is Red Steel 2? It looks good but if it's only like 5 hours i don't want to buy it at full price.

Elimination on
  • cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've already beaten Okami

Be so very thankful, the controls with the wiimote are awful and I have given up trying to play it.

The remake of A Boy and His Blob is insanely precious and you can generally find it very cheap.

cabsy on