As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MOBA DOBA] League of Legends, the seasoning it is beginning.

• ArmLionArmLion Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    schuss wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    ArmLion wrote: »
    Well I finally played a few games... and even against fellow n00bs I'm extremely terrible, but I admit the game is pretty fun... don't think I'm ready to spend any money on it, but I guess the fact that I don't have to is one of the things that's coolest about it.

It's even better that way. You'll have a time to feel out characters before dropping a few bucks on skinning a favorite.

So true. Also, try different types of characters. I always play a glass cannon in MMO's, so I thought I'd be good as a nuker. Turns out I'm a tank?!?

So far I've played Blitzcrank, Fiddlesticks, Soraka, and Tristana... and have found, surprisingly, that I've been most effective (which is not very) with Tristana. I also like Blitzcrank but he seems pretty popular, so he gets picked a lot. I found Fiddlesticks to be pretty difficult to use, but I've seen people playing him really well. I'm not sure how I feel about the support role... I need to try it again now that I understand the game a bit better, but at the same time I think I should stick with Tristana until I get decent.

ArmLion on
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    man zen my ap yi experiment went horribly awry

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Which brings me to another question, what summoner spells do you use for AD Ezreal?

And is there any way to make him less anime? :<

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Melk how do you feel about Sword of the Occult for Ez?

I really love SotO for Pantheon, but haven't tried it on Ezreal. I usually do a great job of avoiding dying, so I really ought to give it a try.

Melkster on
  • iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I keep trying AP Yi, and its pretty fricking sweet to Q into the enemy team and just watch all health drop.

But after that, I'm totally unsure what to do, other than just poke people and meditate.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
    edited July 2010
    Which brings me to another question, what summoner spells do you use for AD Ezreal?

Summoner spells are not critically important on Ez, I think. I personally run with Heal/Clairvoyance. It works, but I could see justification for other summoner spells as well.

And no, there isn't. The anime part of him is the best part.

Melkster on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fiddlesticks is very much about getting a good crowstorm off. Successful crowstorms can turn games around.

Don't judge support characters based on Soraka alone. I pretty much only play support characters and I still find Soraka boring. There isn't anybody who is as hang-back, passive as her.

Honestly, just give as many characters a try as you can. If you find someone you really like then tell people and they can suggest others.

I was playing Ashe exclusively then got converted to Janna, and with this last rotation I really loved Morgana but goddamn she costs so much IP.

Asiina on
    edited July 2010
    honestly i'd like ap yi a lot better if he couldn't be CC'd out of meditate

every fucking time i alpha strike in and meditate its either "lolol feared dead" or "lolol silence dead" or "lolol stun dead"

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Dkarrde wrote: »
    so with AD Ez, should I even build Sheen into anything? if I'm not gonna be getting AP, then Lich Bane is out, and Trinity Force is handy but that's a whole lot of money that could be spent on a whole lot more AD

That's one way to go, but Triforce provides maximum health, a big chunk of move speed, Phage's chance to snare (with Ez's high attack speed, it should proc quite often), crit chance... there's really nothing in Triforce that AD Ez wouldn't find useful. Buying a BF sword first might well have its benefits, though.

Trinity, trinity, trinity.

This is how I build EZReal:

1. Vampiric Scepter (very very useful for early level mid-laning and further use in the future) OR Mana crystal + 2x health pots.
    2. Boots.
    3. Meki Pendant (if needed)
    4. Sheen >> Phage >> Trinity Force
    5. Here is where preference comes into play. I usually get a Guinsoo's blade to get more AD and even out the missing AP, but if not needed, I tend to go straight for the BF Sword into Bloodthirster
    6. Bloodthirster no matter what.

When it comes down to it, just make sure in the end you have in priority:

Trinity force > Bloodthirster > Guinsoo's > More damage.

Early game sheen is a must, the damage it outputs is literally MADE for EZReal and after that get Phage.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Vampiric Scepter is not a good choice for a first item

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Vampiric Scepter is not a good choice for a first item

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Flash/Ghost and No

neal AP Yi is a completely different play-style than homoicial asshole yi

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited July 2010

Flash/Ghost and No

neal AP Yi is a completely different play-style than homoicial asshole yi

but i like homicidal asshole yi

i want to meditate tank things

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    First item for ez should either be a doran's blade or a doran's ring

Zen Vulgarity on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    All I know is that the new Frost Ezreal skin looks pretty sweet and I like it.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited July 2010

Mana crystal or meki pendant wif potions

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Most carries need the survivability that comes from a Doran's item in the early game, usually Shield

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited July 2010
    All I know is that the new Frost Ezreal skin looks pretty sweet and I like it.

This.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    zenny is right

considering ez is going to be solo like

98% of the time

doran's blade or ring are very good for him starting (pots accompanying, of course)

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
    edited July 2010
    Most carries need the survivability that comes from a Doran's item in the early game, usually Shield

I suppose I could give this a go.
    zenny is right

considering ez is going to be solo like

98% of the time

doran's blade or ring are very good for him starting (pots accompanying, of course)

Ok I'll try this out. I don't see doran's blade being useful, but the shield possibly.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
    edited July 2010

I don't understand the justification for Doran's Blade. Could you explain why you recommend it?

Melkster on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    cheap ad that boosts his mystic shot early, making you a force to be reckonened with early game (plus easier last hits!!)

health is always good

lifesteal isn't good by itself, but on an item it's nice

plus it lets you get pots

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
    edited July 2010
    Melkster wrote: »

I don't understand the justification for Doran's Blade. Could you explain why you recommend it?

I have a page dedicated for mana regeneration

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited July 2010
    I've been using a Sapphire Crystal as my first item, with 2 health potions. The key is, of course, to get the talent in defense that adds a bit of health regen per maximum mana, which increases your staying power in lane. It also builds into a Sheen very quickly, which is when you really come into your own. As soon as I get ~1200 gold, I go back and finish Sheen, grab level 1 Boots, and as many vision wards as I can afford.

Doran's Blade seems to delay that without providing much in return.

Melkster on
    edited July 2010
    Six damage and life steal and 120 health for when inevitably someone tries to rape you in mid because they don't want ez leveling up

Zen Vulgarity on
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i never see olaf anymore. what ever happened to him. i think i'd rather fight him than xin.

Feldorn on
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I love the Clerks reference built into Olaf.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    I see Olaf as a counter-jungler

Warwick will get shit on by Olaf

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited July 2010
    Six damage and life steal and 120 health for when inevitably someone tries to rape you in mid because they don't want ez leveling up

If you're paying attention, ganking Ezreal in mid is pretty hard to do.

Melkster on
  • DrijenDrijen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ohhh no.

Enemy Singed is Riot Singed.

We are so dead.

Drijen on
    edited July 2010
    Drijen wrote: »
    Ohhh no.

We are so dead.

ho-ly-cra-p.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
    edited July 2010
    I want to learn a new character like Udyr or Teemo, but neither are free right now :d

Anyone here play Teemo? How much fun is he?

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • ArmLionArmLion Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drijen wrote: »
    Ohhh no.

We are so dead.

ho-ly-cra-p.

So the Riot skins are only for Riot employees? That's pretty cool.

ArmLion on
    edited July 2010
    I want to learn a new character like Udyr or Teemo, but neither are free right now :d

I don't play Teemo, but most of my friends describe him as effective, but boring to play.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hmm nope, they are free to buy for the most part. But I don't think the Singed one in particular is in the store yet.

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Don't think they fixed the free skin bug yet, so the Riot Singed you saw was someone who used said bug to play with that skin.

Dac Vin on
  • PolarBearPolarBear Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Supposedly there is a bug where you can use skins you don't have. I haven't tried it out yet - I was going to try and preview some of the other Sivir skins tonight though:
    I think it only works in ranked games. What you do is pick a character that you have an alternate skin for, and select the skin but don't "lock in" your character choice. You then select a different champion and lock in your choice. I'm guessing it retains the skin choice corresponding to the slot you picked on the other character or something.

Again, this is just something I read on the forums. I'm sure they will patch it soon. I know I'd really like to see if some skins are worth it at all in a video/playtest way than by some super zoomed in screenshot.

PolarBear on
    edited July 2010

I don't play Teemo, but most of my friends describe him as effective, but boring to play.

Yea I'm all for effectiveness, but when it comes to the fun factor, I don't want to buy a character if I'm going to get bored of him quick.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • DrijenDrijen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, we managed to win it because of Taric and his fabulous gems. Go me!

Wasn't a ranked game so either the bug works wherever or some shenanigans were afoot.

And unless 'Kuraii' is a stealth Riot employee I don't think thats the deal either.
    riotsinged.jpg

Drijen on
    edited July 2010

Yea I'm all for effectiveness, but when it comes to the fun factor, I don't want to buy a character if I'm going to get bored of him quick.

I mean, (obviously it depends on what you find fun), but in team fights its activate his pew pew ability, and right click and you're done. Then activate your run away ability. ;-) But if you enjoy plopping poisonous shrooms all around and being great at map awareness, then he maybe to your liking.

chrono_traveller on