As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kinect is $149.99 (£129.99 / €149.99), includes Kinect Adventures - thoughts?

• fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The thing about Rock Band is, I knew exactly how much game I was going to get out of it due to Guitar Hero before I splurged the cashitos.

RB2 is my favourite game of all time. I've put countless hours into it.

And even then, I couldn't justify the price of the Beatles gear. Or the Ion kit. Though I will buy EVERYTHING for RB3, whatever the cost.

Buuut... I have no idea how much use I will get from Kinect, beyong the fact it looks cool, I know I don't really like the Wii / waggle. But I like Dance Dance, and love Rock Band. So... tricky to guesstimate.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think the fitness and dance game things are really neat.

JJ on
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd love to play Child of Eden using it on a big a screen. Other than that, meh.

Moioink on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Remember kids: never ever ever EVER buy a system/accessory for its "potential," buy it because there's a game out NOW that you want to play. Otherwise you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Like all the nerds who bought a PS3 purely for Final Fantasy XIII :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok, so over in this country Tesco are apparently selling the Wii with Wii Sports for £129.99, the same price Kinnect is due to go for. If they're aiming for the casual market who don't have consoles at the moment I can't see a Mam and Dad, who know little about video games deciding to go for Kinnect.

Personally I'm normally all over accessories, I have a large collection of light guns kicking around the house, a PSEye, the 360 camera, a few classic controllers, bongos for the wii, too many plastic instruments to count...and I have absolutely no interest in this add on.

For a start I already have enough shit in front of my TV (Sensor Bar, Front Speaker, PS Eye).

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The PSEye, Move, and game bundle is 50 pounds in the UK.

Couscous on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Firstly, that price means this is dead in the water in the UK, even if it somehow catches on elsewhere.

Secondly, what're the odds of some dim parent thinking this doesn't need the console?

Xagarath on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Secondly, what're the odds of some dim parent thinking this doesn't need the console?

Probably high. People are stupid.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »

100%

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The potential for this type of thing is exhilarating, but it has become blatantly obvious at this point that the motion control is nowhere near what was promised. Even if it was exactly what was promised, I.E. a revolutionary new way to control games, without a killer app it's just another accessory.

This needs a Halo. A game that sells well, is made by a quality studio, and fully takes advantage of the control scheme. It also needs to work flawlessly, without lag, in true 1:1. Until then it's just a proof of concept with some shitty Wii-sports type games that are fun to play with your grandma for about 25 minutes.

MikeMan on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In fact, you know what the Wii needs right now?
    Johnny Turbo.

Xagarath on
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So how does this work for the old xboxes? I mean, the new ones are saying they're "kinect ready" Am I going to have to buy some dongle to connect it to my old xbox.*

*Above theoretical question posits the theoretical situation that I would actually purchase kinect. Which I probably won't.

belligerent on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So how does this work for the old xboxes? I mean, the new ones are saying they're "kinect ready" Am I going to have to buy some dongle to connect it to my old xbox.*

*Above theoretical question posits the theoretical situation that I would actually purchase kinect. Which I probably won't.

You wont' have to buy a dongle, instead, you'll have to use a separate power plug of some kind for it.

The Kinect Ready Slims will not require you to use an additional power plug for the Kinect peripheral.

slash000 on
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Nope. Kinect works for all 360s. Only thing required for an old 360 to play is an extra power supply socket.

Edit: Beaten by slash. Not as fun as it sounds though, ladies.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

For the old "non kinect ready" xboxes you need to plug Kinect into a USB slot AND use it's own powersupply.

If you have a "kinect ready" xbox you only need one cable that you plug into the "kinect slot" and it gets power and USB connection from there.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The most I would pay for this would be... probably $25. I've already bought a console, the fucked up $100 wireless adapter, no way in hell I am buying this for $150. If I am even considering that chunk of change on a console addition, I am going to just go the extra mile and buy a Wii/PS3

Foolish Chaos on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's just sad to look at this now and see the old videos too. Clearly they thought this would work to a certain level, and it just doesn't and by the time they realized that there was no turning back. Look at the virtual dressup thing, now, I don't care about it but I'm sure that if it really worked it could have been huge as a selling point for the series but it clearly just doesn't.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The only thing that looks cool for this is my mind is Dance Central, and no way am I paying $200 to play that game.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The biggest problem with the 360/kinect pack is that at $300 it will be right on the shelf next to a Wii for $100 less.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wonder why they aren't doing a 250 Gig 360S + Kinect bundle?

I'd usually propose it's 'to avoid confusion over too many different models' but at this fucking point that can hardly be a serious concern here!?

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited July 2010
    I assume that they don't think that the crowd who wants Kinect and needs a new 360 with it will need a lot of storage space.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm holding out for VR, baby

When total immersion means whithering away attached to a glowing box wired to my brain stem, they have my money.

Kazaka on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Somehow I get the feeling that Kinect was supposed to be implemented with whatever Microsoft's next console will be and there was shareholder pressure to release it now because OMG HAVE YOU SEEN HOW MANY PEOPLE OWN A WII

Salvation122 on
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Quick question here, is there no way now (even software updates) to have the kinect compatible with regular 360 games?

Ziggymon on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Kinect looks like total shit.

It looks even worse than the Wii did at launch, except with none of the potential.

I can't think of a single good thing to say about this horrible lump of shit. Except maybe that it'll be funny to get in some lolkinects as it bombs.

PolloDiablo on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    Quick question here, is there no way now (even software updates) to have the kinect compatible with regular 360 games?

Software updates could be possible, but it is extremely unlikely for any past games to receive such a thing because the Kinect uses up about 10 to 15 percent of the 360's computing power.

The game by the REZ guy is going to be compatible with both normal controllers and Kinect. I haven't heard about anything else.

Couscous on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Somehow I get the feeling that Kinect was supposed to be implemented with whatever Microsoft's next console will be and there was shareholder pressure to release it now because OMG HAVE YOU SEEN HOW MANY PEOPLE OWN A WII

I doubt it. It would be in their best interests to increase user base wherever possible. Why would their shareholders have a different view than what their intentions would be? This generation is going to last longer than the few years the original Xbox was out for. I don't see why would they would sit on this tech for a few years if it's ready now.

JJ on
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think Kinect is headed for some truly deliciously entertaining backlash. For that reason alone, I am looking forward to the launch of Microsoft's "Wii that can you can slash have to plug into an Xbox."

Please note. I don't hate Microsoft or the 360. I just hate brutally excessive hype-mongering by empty suits trying to sell something of which they have only the most tenuous grasp.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    JJ wrote: »

I doubt it. It would be in their best interests to increase user base wherever possible. Why would their shareholders have a different view than what their intentions would be? This generation is going to last longer than the few years the original Xbox was out for. I don't see why would they would sit on this tech for a few years if it's ready now.

Because it is very clearly not ready now?

Salvation122 on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    it sucks because for $100 i might have done it, but really for that price i'd just take the hit and buy a wii. with a wii i have a list of games i KNOW are awesome, whereas i don't know if *anything* is good with kinect

Local H Jay on
  • a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't see $150 for Kinect happening for me. I have to choose between paying $150 for a console add-on that comes with a minigame collection that I'm not interested or three (or more) full games?

Gonna pick the games from what I've seen of Microsoft's offerings.

a puddle on
  • BroktuneBroktune Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not many talking about children liking it. It's weird seeing most of the videos being adults playing this thing. Like the Wii, this was made primarily for kids. Yeah, the pedo talk concerning Milo is very uncomfortable. That was made with children in mind, not 25 year olds. This thing might sell like shit, but you know there will be TONS of kids this Christmas pulling at their mom's pants leg excitedly talking about a game where you can play with a tiger.

Broktune on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    :lol:

I'll probably wait until late 2011 before I even think about buying into this.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    At 150 bucks I know for sure I'd end up getting a Wii before I get this. For 50 bucks more it comes with another pack in and has a ton of other games that I want to play on it already.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Broktune wrote: »
    Not many talking about children liking it. It's weird seeing most of the videos being adults playing this thing. Like the Wii, this was made primarily for kids. Yeah, the pedo talk concerning Milo is very uncomfortable. That was made with children in mind, not 25 year olds. This thing might sell like shit, but you know there will be TONS of kids this Christmas pulling at their mom's pants leg excitedly talking about a game where you can play with a tiger.

I'm not sure where kids liking it is relevant. The 360 has always been marketed towards the 18-35 sect.

They may want to pull in casual gamers and younger kids but they need people like us to turn a profit.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited July 2010
    I doubt they're banking on gulling stupid kids into buying it.

Especially because it's a $150 addon to a $300 system.

Unless their market is kids who happen to be drug dealers on the side.

PolloDiablo on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the videos i'm seeing in actual play environments make it look like it just plain doesn't work very well

that's pretty sad

Evil Multifarious on
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, a lot of lag, not precise at all.

This would do badly against the wii alone, even if sony wasn't also releasing their upgraded clone at the same time.

PolloDiablo on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    like, i'm sure we can all agree that the concept of precise recognition of the player's body is just completely magnificent

but frankly it looks like they tried to do that and failed, and then released their failure as a product.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited July 2010
    Broktune wrote: »

I don't doubt it'll sell a few to some excited kids, but it's not exactly an open market right now. They'll be competing with two highly entrenched kid-friendly consoles. If they're looking to get new console owners, they're competing at a higher price, which will make things doubly challenging in our still-struggling economy.

Then once you get into pre-teens and such, you run into the problem where they're ultimately competing with their own products.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png