As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Got 99 Problems But The Bench Ain't One

• Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That poem made my week.

Lail on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Picked up P90X to supplement the triathlon training. Tried Yoga X today.

ow

Definitely recommended.

Sami on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »
    I need a pep talk guys, I am not feeling it this week.

Cowboy the fuck up.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've been told working out the back helps make your overall body look bigger, what are people using for their back? They have so many machines for it at my gym.
    Is it better to just do one machine and stick to that, or do multiple sets and reps on several different machines?

Franko on
  • Options
    HerkimerHerkimer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Franko wrote: »
    I've been told working out the back helps make your overall body look bigger, what are people using for their back? They have so many machines for it at my gym.
    Is it better to just do one machine and stick to that, or do multiple sets and reps on several different machines?

do some kind of vertical pulling motion, like pullups, and some kind of horizontal pulling motion, like rows. As for sets and reps, a decent rule of thumb is to have an equal pulling volume to pushing volume. E.g., if you're doing 3 sets of bench and 3 of press at 5 reps each, do 3 sets of rows and 3 of pulldowns at 5 reps each.

Herkimer on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »
    I need a pep talk guys, I am not feeling it this week.

Can't post it as am on my phone but that video of kirk kawoski squatting 1000 always fires me up. Not the 2 rep video, though that's also awesome

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Herkimer wrote: »

do some kind of vertical pulling motion, like pullups, and some kind of horizontal pulling motion, like rows. As for sets and reps, a decent rule of thumb is to have an equal pulling volume to pushing volume. E.g., if you're doing 3 sets of bench and 3 of press at 5 reps each, do 3 sets of rows and 3 of pulldowns at 5 reps each.

a lot of people recommend more pulls than pushes

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Deadlifts, power cleans, barbell rows, clean pulls, sumo pulls, snatch pulls.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Dumbbell row, wide grip pullup, deadlift.

Imo these three elements are core elements of a good back workout.

Docken on
  • Options
    DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I recently got into dragon boat racing and, man, that can be quite the workout. The day after practices, I am sore from the top of my knees to my shoulders. Well, either it's a good workout or I've contracted malaria from the Baltimore Harbor.

Defenestrator on
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fucking ow why did i ever stop lifting fuck.

I am the littlest man.

noobert on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I recently got into dragon boat racing and, man, that can be quite the workout. The day after practices, I am sore from the top of my knees to my shoulders. Well, either it's a good workout or I've contracted malaria from the Baltimore Harbor.

Hot damn that looks fun! Wish I wasn't overweight right now or I'd like to try it.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No shame in being a little man now. Remember, the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single rep.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Remember, the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single rep.

:^:

Jyardana on
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I want to drop a fair amount of fat (25kg/55lbs), I assume I should focus on doing that first, then once I am down to a level I am more comfortable with, start focusing on gaining muscle mass/being a big man?

Or should I eat like a machine and mother fucking squat first?

noobert on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Squat like a motherfucker while keeping protein high and carbs/fats down to a moderate level.

You'll put on muscle while losing weight.
    3.jpg

Jyardana on
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    noobert wrote: »
    So I want to drop a fair amount of fat (25kg/55lbs), I assume I should focus on doing that first, then once I am down to a level I am more comfortable with, start focusing on gaining muscle mass/being a big man?

Or should I eat like a machine and mother fucking squat first?

Jyardana is right about hitting the squat rack, but keep in mind you'll be starting on lighter weights as you haven't trained up in awhile - returning lifters are prone to overtraining. Look into SS or some other preferred approach or speak to some expert trainers at your gym and appropriate a proper plan.

Depending on your tolerance, due to the lighter weights initially you should be able to mix in some light interval work on your off days as well and still be able to cope. Cardio is kinda bleh but you can do that in a pinch if you are too sore for intervals.

Have a look at your diet composition, frequency and volume - you should aim to keep your protein intake high, your intervals frequent and your volume at about maintenance - the additional workload should push you into the weight-loss range with minimal damage to muscle gain. What tends to happen over time is that if your diet fundamentals are good you'll naturally eat just enough to keep your muscle gain ticking over.

Make sure you sleep enough as well if you're going to do this - sleep assists nutrient uptake and retards catabolic activity as well (sympathetic nervous system), so it is vital.

Docken on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I figured out how to change the height of the bars in the cage (new gym=stupid me) and man, proper rack-pulls are harder than I thought. They'll make a difference though, I can tell, because moving into the lockout is my weakest point for sure.

I can already tell the difference my (light) squatting is making in my DL, the whole movement felt more explosive. I think this squatting thing will work out ok.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Training this week is kicking my ass. I'm still a bit sore from monday's change in volume and weight

Todays workout-

Medball throw circuit (64 throws from various positions) x2
    Jump circuit (80 contacts)

Hang snatch- 4x3@145
    Step ups- 4x5@235

Singlehop shot throws.

Blargh. It takes ma a solid 7-10 days to adapt to the training before I can start hitting workout volumes I'll be happy with. Prepare for lots of bitching from me.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    weighed in at 167lbs today. up a pound from last week. not much, but this is the most consistent week-to-week weight gain I've put up since my newbie gains when I started lifting over a year ago, when I went from 135 to 150ish.

squats felt really good today, too. bench was shaky but I completed all my reps.

Scudo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

a lot of people start with some pretty rad imbalances, which would make more pulls than pushes make sense.

if you're healthy, I can't see why you would emphasize one over the other

Herkimer on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

a lot of people start with some pretty rad imbalances, which would make more pulls than pushes make sense.

if you're healthy, I can't see why you would emphasize one over the other

Most people won't have imbalances to the degree that they need to emphasize more pulls than pushes. It tends to even out pretty quickly unless there's some underlying anatomical reason.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    the logic is that while it's not difficult to end up with tight pecs that pull your shoulders forward, you can't really have a back that looks too tight

it's more precautionary than correctional

plus a good back looks much better than firm perky pecs on a dude

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    urgh.

I have been hitting up the bike for funsies.

Except I am not 100% sure it is fun. I have a feeling it is hard work.

Blake T on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, I've been hurting myself whenever I go running (shin splints and stuff) and I won't be able to go to a gym place for at least another month or so (when school starts).

What exercises can you recommend that I can do at home to get ready to go back to a gym?

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pullups or pullup negatives, I don't see why you couldn't ghetto up some stand in equipment

buckets filled with water etc.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I would have to buy the buckets and such. I'm moving in about a week or so, so I guess I could use boxes full of books?

What are pull-up negatives?

Edit: Also, are there any good lower-back exercises?

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    sofa deadlifts

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    I would have to buy the buckets and such. I'm moving in about a week or so, so I guess I could use boxes full of books?

If you can't do a pullup, a pullup negative is jumping up and slowly lowering yourself down

if you can, you might also look into just springing up from your ankles

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ah, I see. That makes sense now.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I like filling a backpack or something similar with heavy books, rocks, etc and doing "bodyweight exercises" with it, like stair lunges, when I am somewhere with zero weights and I want a good workout. Works well for single leg RDLs too.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    losabiolosabio Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Get a duffel bag from the surplus store and make a sandbag. You can put your sand inside some of those contractor bags from the home improvement store to prevent sand leakage. Double bag if you like. You can pick up the play sand while you're there. Even once you have access to weights, etc. a sand bag is always fun for a change of pace every now and then. Sand bag TGUs with the bag shouldered are good finishers, and you get to suplex the bag at the end of the movement if you like.

losabio on
  • Options
    AethosAethos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Halfway through my third week of SS and enjoying it quite a bit. Question about deadlifts though. My grip strength seems to be quite lacking, and I normally have to readjust my grip 2-4 times for the set. Is this normal? Should I take the time to reset before each rep of this, or should I go one after the other like the other exercises?

Should I just keep increasing my deadlift until I can't physically hold it, while doing grip exercises on other days, or should I drop down to a weight that's not threatening to rip my fingers from my hands?

Aethos on
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Reverse hypers are good for the lower back.

Also. Do lots of pushups. And check your shoes if you get shin splints -- it is very often fixable by buying new shoes.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aethos wrote: »
    Halfway through my third week of SS and enjoying it quite a bit. Question about deadlifts though. My grip strength seems to be quite lacking, and I normally have to readjust my grip 2-4 times for the set. Is this normal? Should I take the time to reset before each rep of this, or should I go one after the other like the other exercises?

Should I just keep increasing my deadlift until I can't physically hold it, while doing grip exercises on other days, or should I drop down to a weight that's not threatening to rip my fingers from my hands?

No need to stop. When you get to a weight where you can't hold onto the bar anymore, switch from an overhand grip to a mixed grip (one hand with palm facing away from you, one hand with palm facing toward you). It makes things much, much easier.

Keep doing stuff for grip, though.

Gork on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    then when mixed grip fails add chalk or straps

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Or just add chalk right away

big l on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    the logic is that while it's not difficult to end up with tight pecs that pull your shoulders forward, you can't really have a back that looks too tight

just because you can't have a back that "looks too tight" doesn't mean it's a good idea to overdevelop some muscles wrt their antagonists.

and it is pretty difficult to end up with tight pecs if you, surprise, use a balanced routine with roughly equal volume of pulling and pushing.

Herkimer on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I squatted 190 last night but I hate using the smith machine because I know once we get a real squat rack my numbers will go down.

I'm keeping up the assisted pull-ups and dips and those are getting much more comfortable. My triceps are a lot stronger now than they were before I did skullcrushers so that's encouraging.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

just because you can't have a back that "looks too tight" doesn't mean it's a good idea to overdevelop some muscles wrt their antagonists.

and it is pretty difficult to end up with tight pecs if you, surprise, use a balanced routine with roughly equal volume of pulling and pushing.

This has been coming up a lot lately; I think it's a reaction to the bros who bench 4 ways every work out but never pull at all, so they end up hunched forward and slightly weird looking. I don't think anyone sensible would have this problem but I guess it exists?

I dunno actually, I've read a lot of things about dudes who only train the "mirror muscles" but I don't think I actually know any.

Peen on
This discussion has been closed.