As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOH Beta impressions

nanthilnanthil Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
Don't be scared by the wall of text, it won't eat you.
I like to review things, try to help people understand what, or what not to invest their time in. I don't dabble with a point based rating system. I either recommend things, or don't. Looking for critiques on my writing, if you have anything helpful to add please reply.

While in ventrilo the other day a friend of mine said "I can download Medal of Honor Beta? But I didn't pre-order it." Neither had I, but lo', amongst my library of games were the words "Medal of Honor Beta". After having installed the game and wasted some of my precious time playing it, here is my impression.

Let me begin by saying that this game has no artistic direction whatsoever. Imagine the movie "Black Hawk Down." Do you have that image in your head? Good, now take all the colors, turn them white, gray, and brown, and saturate the picture, and you have this game. It appears they even stole the music directly from the movie. They even took the loading screen background from the map "Crashed" in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (COD4). And don't get me started on the User Interface.

You load the game to developer logos. Nothing special, but I was jarred when the UI loaded and I couldn't figure it out. (I'll stop right here and warn you that the next paragraph is focused on the interface, which is tedious and unintuitive to use, like wading through a sea of bricks.) There were no "buttons" to be seen and no obvious direction. The game wanted me to log into my EA account, and I suppose these boxes are some stand in for real buttons because there were none to be had. After logging in I was brought to the menu. The list of options is common to what you'd see in any other shooter, but unlike in any other shooter you have to wade through contextual menus to get anything you want. So unlike in other shooters (like COD4), where you click "Join Game" and you wind up at the server browser, in MOH you must log in twice (just to get to the menu) then click play, followed by how you join a game (in this case "matchmake") followed by which game type, and find match. More time in the menus = less time in game. Wait a second, I thought using matchamking was supposed to make it EASIER for people to join games! If you have to navigate through so many contextual menus, why not just make server browsing your primary mode of gaming... It doesn't take nearly as long. At last! you've joined a game, lets get to the action... that is after you've been visually assaulted with a cluttered class selection screen.

In other games that have class selection (Team Fortress 2, Battlefield, etc) you're given VITAL INFORMATION about the different classes. In Team Fortress 2 you can tell just by looking at the pictures what their specialties are. (i.e Pyro wears a chemical suit and holds a flamethrower, Heavy is a hulking Russian with an enormous Gatling gun, and the Spy is wearing a mask and a pinstripey suit.) Even if you haven't played the game before you can already guess what each class does. In MOH the only reason you know they're different classes is because they tell you're they're different. The class selection screen sure doesn't help differentiate between the classes, it shows you a map with no information but lots of moving peaces with no key to tell you what each graphic means, a weapon selection screen and a "Deploy in Base" box. This is my favorite, why do they give you the option to "Deploy in Base" if you can't spawn anywhere else? Why not just use the word "Ready" or "Respawn"? It is concise, and doesn't give the illusion of choice when in reality there is none.

Ah, FINALLY to the game play. You've waded through the menu's, you've waited through the loading screen, and you've selected your class and "Deployed in Base", now for some action!Or not. See, the point of a video game is to have fun, and years of game development have proven what parts of game play work and parts that don't. Things like level design, weapon balancing, spawn points, these are things that GOOD developers pay attention to. Though, it would seem DICE has left all these lessons learned in their other pants. Running through the game you can't help but wonder "did anyone design these levels or did they just hit a random map generator button" because there is no flow in this game. There are no contention points, no major thoroughfares, there aren't even any "bases" as they seem to move to wherever your team is. The weapons don't even operate properly, or it would seem that these soldiers live in a universe with no equal or opposite reactions because there is no recoil on any of the weapons. The weapons all sounds like someone with washer and bolt banging against a cardboard box in a makeshift sound studio, and reused sounds from Battlefield BC 2. Another point, why don't they ever charge their weapons?

Here's a little aside about a pet peeve of mine. In most shooters, when you reload you charge the weapon regardless of how many rounds you've fired, when in reality you don't have to charge if there's a round already in the chamber. Well in this game you don't ever have to charge the weapon, they just magically have rounds in them when you insert the magazine. Way to pay attention there game developer guy.

All that to say, I have never felt my time had been more efficiently wasted than by playing this game. My recommendation? I'm going to have to wait and see how the actual game will play, but the beta is so embarrassing that I may not even buy the game. I've played a few beta's over my time, 2 of the most recent being Starcraft 2 beta and Battlefield Bad Company 2. Both of those games were playable and enjoyable even at that early stage of development. So far this has just been a waste of time.

nanthil on

• ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have no idea what game it is you're talking about, but just from looking at the title of your thread, I can tell you that betas are an in-development process.

Taking permanent impressions off of them is monumentally stupid.

Archonex on
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Considering this game can basically be called Frantic Call of Duty Cash-in none of this is surprising, and basically just supports all the other awful stuff I've heard about it

BlindPsychic on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Archonex wrote: »
    I have no idea what game it is you're talking about, but just from looking at the title of your thread, I can tell you that betas are an in-development process.

we should all know by now that betas these days are nothing more than selective demos.

and I thought the demo was alright I guess. don't think I would end up playing it over TF2 or Bad Company 2 or anything else 2.

there just didn't seem to be that much variety in weapons and classes and everything felt like I had done it before elsewhere. fact that its going to be selling at the 60 dollar pricemark for the PC version on steam doesn't help its case any. but I mean I guess it was fun shooting guys but I already shoot guys in every other game I have

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I feels to me a lot like BFBC2 mixed with MW2, but they mostly took the bad parts of both.

It'll help, along with GTAIV and RF:G that I just finally picked up, and Alien Swarm, to bridge the gap between the SC2 beta and SC2, but......... yeah I don't think I'll buy MoH unless it's super cheap at some point.

Khavall on
  • JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This multiplayer beta is pretty horrible imo. If it wants to compete with CoD/MW2 it really has a ways to go.

I'm not going to talk about the UI stuff since you pretty much covered it. Suffice to say I don't like it too much either.

One additional thing though. When you get killed you are stuck on, what's essentially, a loadscreen with a sound loop. Very annoying. Of course I was getting killed a lot so the soundloop made the game sound like a broken record. At least in CoD or BC2 you get a view of who killed you. But no, in MoH they have to remove you from the game every time you die.

My biggest concern is with the gameplay. It's really quite bad. No recoil. Almost no way of telling where your bullets are hitting. Remember those big sparks you get when shooting a wall in CoD4/MW2? Those are very usefull in telling you where your hits are. There's also no hitsound, which I liked so much in CoD4/MW2. We've been spoiled by superbly crafted shooters these past couple of years but this game is holding back so much information, it almost feels like you're playing underwater.
    All weapons feel and sound the same. The flow of simply running and gunning feels completely broken. Running seems painfully slow, aiming down the sight feels unresponsive. Pushing shift to run (not like CoD where you do "a run" or BC2 where you can run without pushing forward). There's no need to handle your rifle. Forget about burst firing because you're shooting lasers!
    Hold down the trigger untill you get that really bad looking skidmark of a popup informing you've scored some points.

I wasn't expecting this from DICE, since the gameplay in their games has been quite good.
    My guess is that they are limited by the development time and budget and, maybe more important, the single player campaign. I can imagine they got the gun mechanics, animations and assets from SP, and are stuck with them.
    I think that if DICE would have it's way, this game would be so much better. But the quality of their game would far outshine what EA LA is doing. The difference would be too big, and "ideally" MP and SP have to be on par. Though both will be subpar compared to CoD or BF.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
    edited July 2010
    I think if DICE had its way, it just would've been BFBC2 again. Which I'd be fine with. If BFBC2s punkbuster wasn't wigging out on my all the time.

Khavall on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    Man, I spent my first 20 minutes of this game bitching about the UI to a friend.

It's as if they haven't heard of the invention of the mouse pointer device thingamabob yet.

Things that look like they should be clickable aren't. Want to switch game mode when searching for a quick game? You don't click the big button-looking game mode thingies. No, you click on the arrows on each side of the list instead.

Echo on
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

This sounds like it makes sense, but I have yet to find a beta that was god-awful but the final game was amazing-perfect. Likewise, I've never been in an awesome beta and the finalized product was a shitstorm. The beta is a pretty good indication of how a final game is going to feel and play. I'm sorry. We've seen it time and again.

So I don't buy that argument as much anymore.

Lilnoobs on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Khavall wrote: »
    I think if DICE had its way, it just would've been BFBC2 again. Which I'd be fine with. If BFBC2s punkbuster wasn't wigging out on my all the time.

I would play so much more BC2 if the game didn't see fit to kick me so often.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited July 2010
    Also, keyboards have also not been invented according to the UI.

When I was logging in and putting in the key, I would hit tab and nothing would happen. I would hit enter after typing and nothing would happen.

It's like they just took a 360 UI and said "Eh.... probably fine for PC too"

Khavall on
    edited July 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »

I would play so much more BC2 if the game didn't see fit to kick me so often.

Despite wading through port forwarding and uninstalling and reinstalling punkbuster, and updating BC2 and jumping through a million hoops, I recently moved and now punkbuster hates me, and kicks me 20 seconds into every match I try to join. Therefore I cannot play :(

Khavall on
    edited July 2010
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

This sounds like it makes sense, but I have yet to find a beta that was god-awful but the final game was amazing-perfect. Likewise, I've never been in an awesome beta and the finalized product was a shitstorm. The beta is a pretty good implication of how a final game is going to feel and play. I'm sorry. We've seen it time and again.

So I don't buy that argument as much anymore.

The game is less than 3 months away. Contrary to popular belief, you can't do a whole lot in 3 months. I don't doubt that the game will be "better" at launch, but at this point I'd say that what people are playing is fairly indicative of the final product.

My fear is that the already relatively small community that plays BC2 (compared to say MW2 or TF2) is going to be further splintered by a game that I don't think is as good.

Fig-D on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like the beta. Though for me the main draw was, is, and will always be the single player campaign.

Hacksaw on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What, some of you actually play games on a computer? what's wrong with you that's not how it's done wtf

(I still don't know how DICE managed to fuck the UI up since they did a pretty bang up job on BF:BC2, but I'm jaded enough to not even be surprised anymore. This shit sounds par for the course with PC games nowadays, and people wonder and complain about PC gamers talk about games being "consolized." beta, beta, whatever)

The new MoH seems like a game born out of EA's desperate desire to try to replicate the Call of Duty phenomenon. They want it so, so bad, and it just seems a bit sad. Single player might be fun though, no idea.

Zxerol on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Eh, UI elements change quickly. I remember when I was in the initial group of people for the Dawn of War closed beta. It was horrendous. The UI barely worked, there was placeholder art everywhere and it was pretty clunky. It was fixed repeatedly over about 2 months into what actually launched. They can do plenty to game in 3 months.

-Loki- on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, yeah, the Medal Of Honor reboot.

Two things irked me about the beta.

First, the design aesthetic is positively schizo-fucking-phrenic. Okay, so you're going for a more realistic game setting than the Michael Baysplosions of either MW2 or BC2? Works for me. But if I'm going to play a more realistic Taliban shooting at more realistic Coalition forces in more realistic Iraqi landmarks, it's a wee bit jarring to have an 80's arcade game style glowing "+23 POINTS!" pop up when I manage to actually kill someone. That shit was irksome in MW2 and it's even less coherent here.

Second, the gameplay lacks the chaotic goofiness of the Battlefield games and the tension of more realistic shooters. So I get sniped in the brainpan from a mile and a half away (with no kill-cam? Really?), but respawn 2 seconds later, over and over and over again.

Lawndart on
    edited July 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Eh, UI elements change quickly. I remember when I was in the initial group of people for the Dawn of War closed beta. It was horrendous. The UI barely worked, there was placeholder art everywhere and it was pretty clunky. It was fixed repeatedly over about 2 months into what actually launched. They can do plenty to game in 3 months.

I don't doubt that they can address many of the issues, especially UI related in 3 months. But the base game, once you get past the horrible UI, needs a lot of work too. "Level design, weapon balancing, spawn points, recoil, respawning, weapon loading" as the others have said, ALL of these things need work in addition to a UI that is barely functional at best. The game hits store selves on October 12th. When you take into account that the game needs to go gold and start production some time before that you realize that DICE has probably less than 2 months to work on this game.

Fig-D on
  • SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The MoH Beta is bad. It is the portiest port to ever port a port.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sladvan wrote: »
    The MoH Beta is bad. It is the portiest port to ever port a port.

People should just stick to BC2. Get in the Dome!

-Loki- on
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The funny thing is, I'd be excited about MOH if it looked like a MW2 clone stripped of the perks and the most excessive of the killstreak rewards, and with a single-player story that isn't Red Dawn Meets Futureweapons Meets Paint Thinner Fumes.

But hearing about shit like a beard-based leveling system is not encouraging at all. So what, you don't go prestige, instead you shave and turn your baseball cap around the right way?

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • zychizychi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The 360 version of the beta is now live.

Does anyone have a spare beta key they could pm me?

zychi on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have only played a few minutes of MW 1 and 2 and was not that impressed. BC2 has hooked me with destructible environments and vehicles. CoD was never for the MP for me, it was for the incredible SP.

"Comrades, this is the proudest day you have ever lived. You will fight the Nazi invaders with all your strength..."

RoyceSraphim on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    there's spawn at base or spawn at front line.

Also if you couldn't figure out the UI then I don't know what to tell you. Finally, the classes are Soldier with an AR, Sniper with a DMR, and Spec Ops with a SMG, what more description do you need?

The gameplay is still pretty not great though.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow, that was boring! I guess I got use to the radio chatter in BC2 because that "feels" better compared to the silence of this beta. So, UI and class selection screen, I can forgive those because they will be changed. I can forgive the bland sound design because that can be fixed as well. The game ran fine and didn't crash so hurrah. Kabul looked incredible and hopefully they take it to some of the extremes in a map because I heard you go from +100F to -2. I would like to see different versions of the same map to reflect this. Hell valley mike play different with a blanket of frost in a blizzard.

Like was said earlier, the points system was really, REALLY, annoying. I prefer BC2 because I can ignore it and focus on the shooting, having 6 square inches taken up by my score is a real pain in the ass. I didn't see any intro because my computer stopped to ask if I really wanted it to connect to the internet. I figured I would open it again to see the movies but after I quite, I uninstalled it. Someone message me when they have an update.

RoyceSraphim on
  • JMT_AOTPJMT_AOTP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i just downloaded the beta for 360, have yet to play it though. but from looking at most responses from this board and other sites i go to, i shouldn't expect to much lol. damn

JMT_AOTP on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like it. Feels better than Bad Company to me, seems to be that middle ground between it and MOD2 I was looking for. Not bad at all.

Mechanical on
    edited July 2010
    there's spawn at base or spawn at front line.

Is that in the mission with a team sort of game mode? Because in the team Deathmatch mode there is only deploy at base. And there's not really any clear indication of what or where that is,
    Also if you couldn't figure out the UI then I don't know what to tell you. Finally, the classes are Soldier with an AR, Sniper with a DMR, and Spec Ops with a SMG, what more description do you need?

What's the difference between the AR and SMG? What will the classes later get down the line?

That information isn't shared unless you jump through another 10 menus. The only one of those that gives you information about the class is the Sniper.

There's not even any information about the grenade launcher or the RPG in the spawning choice, other than the fact that the Spec Ops is carrying an RPG in the picture. If there's no further info on the classes other than "Soldier, Spec Ops, Sniper", then they might as well be "Googly, Moogly, Sniper" for all it tells the player.

Khavall on
    edited July 2010
    The selection screen does in fact tell you Spec Ops carries rockets.

Mechanical on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Beta is unadultered crap. Maybe it will get a total makeover before release. People say that a lot about shitty Betas. I have never seen it happen.

Frustrating Arcadey-Sim Mishmash with gunplay that looks, sounds, and feels like shit is hard to "tweak" away.

The UI has been covered enough to not warrant dead-horsing, but suffice it to say it is an equal crime against nature.

Scosglen on
    edited July 2010
    Outside of textures failing to load entirely at times, the 360 version actually seems to be pretty stable.

Mechanical on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's worth mentioning that the single player and multi player are going to be different, as they'll each be powered by different engines and designed by different development teams.

Hacksaw on
  • NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mechanical wrote: »
    Outside of textures failing to load entirely at times, the 360 version actually seems to be pretty stable.

stable does not a good game make.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
    edited July 2010
    True, but this also plays rather well in my opinion. Granted, I haven't bothered with deathmatch. I just expected more issues with what was reported by PC and PS3 beta players. Thus far the only ones I've actually seen is a half-second freeze on death and the texture error.

I'm interested, why is this terrible according to some of you? It's certainly derivative, but far from awful.

EDIT: On further playing, Team Assault does indeed suck, but the other mode is quite playable.

Mechanical on
    edited July 2010
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    It's worth mentioning that the single player and multi player are going to be different, as they'll each be powered by different engines and designed by different development teams.

It's worth mentioning that this has always been a strange as hell decision.

Edit spoiler : I find this relevant-
    25275.jpg?v=1

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
    edited July 2010
    Hacksaw wrote: »

It's worth mentioning that this has always been a strange as hell decision.

It was a strange decision. If they were going with different developers, they probably should have still gone with the same engine so all of the assets could be easily used in both.
    Edit spoiler : I find this relevant-
    25275.jpg?v=1

That should be 'The state of shooters', since every other genre tends to have quite a bit of diversity.

-Loki- on
  • VariantXVariantX Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Im wondering why i cant change my controller layout whatsoever. I never bind melee to the analog stick buttons because i have a tendency to push them in unintentionally. Also annoying is that theres no way (at least i have yet to discover how) to change the rate of fire on the guns (probably not needed since theres no damn recoil to begin with) Ive never had the good fortune to play a game where ive been killed about 3-4 times in a row just by respawning. Is this common in MW and MW2 since ive never played either of those games but played BC2

VariantX on
    edited July 2010
    Mechanical wrote: »
    The selection screen does in fact tell you Spec Ops carries rockets.

I checked as I played today, and it definitely only tells you Spec Ops carries rockets if you are on the Insurgency, and that's because it's named "Insurgent RPG trooper" or something, down at the bottom left. If you're US it just says "US Army Ranger" Nowhere else does it say there's a rocket. At least, not when you're spawning or picking the loadout.

Unless it's somewhere and I'm missing it, I'm just not seeing it

Khavall on
    edited July 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    snip
    That should be 'The state of shooters', since every other genre tends to have quite a bit of diversity.

That's from a Cracked.com article talking about E3. I'm pretty sure he might cover other things that aren't FPSes in it. But who knows! Don't take so much umbrage at a picture on the internet.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    This finally available for the 360 eh?

Guess I know what I'll be playing for a bit.

Sheep on
  • phishstikphishstik Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Very quick arcade mode type game. Character's textures seem crappy, almost no recoil on weapons.

Back to BC2.

phishstik on