As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shut the door. Have a seat.

JavenJaven Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Social Entropy++
mad-men-logo.jpg

So, season 4 premiers this Sunday, 7/25. It's awesome, and you should watch it. AMC has been showing 'Best of' episodes from all 3 seasons all this week in anticipation.

Mad Men stars this guy
don-draper.jpg
In his quest to become the suavest motherfucker on the planet.

Season 4 is very special, as the ending of season 3 made quite a few sweeping changes to the show
Sterling Cooper has been sold, Don and Betty are getting a divorce. The cast has, ostensibly been cut down drastically, though with the creation of Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce, no one is exactly sure what's going to happen to Kinsey, Cosgrove, or anyone else who didn't split with Don and co. In fact, no one really knows what's going to happen, period.

If you haven't seen the show, you probably have no taste, because it's amazing and smoking is cool.
Mad Men is set in the 1960s, initially at the fictional Sterling Cooper advertising agency on Madison Avenue in New York City, and later at the newly created firm of Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce.[5] The show centers on Don Draper (Jon Hamm), creative director at Sterling Cooper and a founding partner at Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce, as well as those in his life in and out of the office. It also depicts the changing social mores of 1960s America.

Mad Men depicts parts of American society and culture of the 1960s, highlighting cigarette smoking, drinking, sexism, feminism, adultery, homophobia, racism and antisemitism.[14][40] Smoking, far more common in the United States of the 1960s than it is now, is featured throughout the series; many characters can be seen smoking several times in the course of an episode.[14] In the pilot, representatives of Lucky Strikes cigarettes come to Sterling Cooper looking for a new advertising campaign in the wake of a Reader's Digest report that smoking will lead to various health issues including lung cancer.[41] The show presents a subculture in which men who are engaged or married frequently enter sexual relationships with other women. The series also observes advertising as a corporate outlet for creativity for mainstream, middle-class, young, white men. Along with each of these examples, however, there are hints of the future and the radical changes of the 1960s; Betty's anxiety, The early stirrings of the feminist movement with the Peggy character, the Beats that Draper discovers through Midge, even talk about how smoking is bad for health and physical appearance (usually dismissed or ignored). Characters also see stirrings of change in the ad industry itself, with the Volkswagen Beetle's "Think Small" ad campaign mentioned and dismissed by many at Sterling Cooper, although Don Draper spots the nostalgic value and market potential of renaming the Kodak 'wheel' slide projector as the Kodak Carousel. Themes of alienation, social mobility and ruthlessness also underpin the thematic tone of the show.

Pretty much every character is flawed in varying capacities, and everyone seems to have different opinions of who is an asshole and who is awesome (it's all of them)

If you HAVE seen the show, make sure and watch it this Sunday, as it is undoubtedly better than whatever else you might have done anyway.

Javen on

• Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I watched all three seasons over the last few weeks of school

very excited

Skull Man on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Javen on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also I need to actually watch this show sometime.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I love Alison Brie too.

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    DevoiDDevoiD Australia, Mate ;)Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How cool is Drinking & Smoking... I had no idea before this show...

DevoiD on
    Surprisingly, people pay me to do computer things.
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I love this show so much but I still need to catch up on Seasons 2 and 3.
    This show is the reason I started drinking Manhattans.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm still trying to get over the fact that AMC is now showing tv shows

the fact that they're apparently the best shows ever is even more confusing

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I need a picture of me in my suit so I can enter this thing

also smoking is so cool you guys

so cool

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I heard there are super hot chicks on this show.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

hoooooooomygaaaaaawwwd

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Currently half-way through Season 2.

It's pretty good.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    really need to see season 3

the only good thing balefuego ever did in his entire life was get me to watch Mad Men

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cosgrove isn't an asshole. He's like the only genuinely nice person in the office and it was sad that
    he didn't get picked to go tot he new office, though I'm hoping for a late hire.

It's been a while, so I mean the blondeish guy who was up for the promotion alongside the mega asshole.

Langly on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also, this show made me love Jon Hamm, and I'm excited about the bank robbing movie coming out just because he's in it.

(he also should have been Captain America, who gives a damn how old he is)

Langly on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Staleghoti wrote: »

hoooooooomygaaaaaawwwd

a women slowly running her hand down her body while Interpol plays in the background

alright

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've tried watching this show and I just can't seem to enjoy it

I don't really care how authentic it is, I guess

I will try some more because so many people praise it, but so far there are just no characters I like

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    apparently the lady that plays lois, the secretary/switchboard operator, is getting naked for a magazine

natek on
  • Options
    animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    When I saw the title, I thought this was going to be a Chris Hansen thread

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought this thread was going to be about Chris Hansen.

EDIT: FUCK YOU

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Honestly would have preferred a Chris Hansen thread

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So excited for the premiere!

Any word on if there's much of a time jump this time around?

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Question re: the upcoming season -

(Season 3 finale spoiler)
    Have they said if there's a significant time lapse between the end of season 3 and the start of season 4? I'm hoping they don't skip years this time - I want to see the process of building the new agency from the ground up.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Holy shit, the Season 3 finale was like 50 minutes of straight badassery.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just finished Season 2 of this.

Really need to get Season 3.

Salvatore is adorable.

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Love this show so much.

So much.

I'm a little scared that they're going to screw it up soon, though.

thanimations on
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm a little scared they're going to run out of years. At two years a season, it won't be long until Sally's in the Symbionese Liberation Army.

But oh god I love this show. With certain of my friends, you know not to schedule anything for Mad Men nights.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, they can always write Sally out as she goes to college and joins the Weatherman or something if it got to that point.

On one hand, I hope they shake things up and get the characters out of their comfort zones (and it seems that will be a theme in Season 4). On the other hand, that risks screwing up what is great about the show.

thanimations on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can someone try and sell me on this again.

I watched the first three episodes of it.

And while it wasn't bad (and was I suppose kinda interesting how they flaunt all what was the social norms of the 60's which are no longer acceptable). There just wasn't any real overarching plot for me to keep watching.

Blake T on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thought this thread was gonna be

chris-hansen-1.jpg

I guess I should watch television more often?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm so angry this show isn't on Netflix Instant or Hulu

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the best show on television that isn't breaking bad!

i've liked what i've seen so far, reminds me of six feet under sans the ominous presence of death

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Blake T wrote: »
    Can someone try and sell me on this again.

I watched the first three episodes of it.

And while it wasn't bad (and was I suppose kinda interesting how they flaunt all what was the social norms of the 60's which are no longer acceptable). There just wasn't any real overarching plot for me to keep watching.

It's something you watch for the characters. The characters are all very diverse and many are flawed in some way or another, so it's easy to connect with them. The dialogue is often very witty and well written. I would definitely call it "smart television." It's also neat to see the show reference real historical events, like the JFK assassination.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Also the women are crazy fucking hot

Javen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    thing is, some of those societal fuck ups from the past are still prevalent today and that's what makes the show's use of subtext interesting

for example, racism and homophobia are still around and kickin in the workplace

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Javen wrote: »

Well I knew that.

Blake T on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Javen wrote: »

like, it's ridiculous

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    don draper's past and self loathing developed way too much the first season

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    celandine wrote: »
    I'm a little scared they're going to run out of years. At two years a season, it won't be long until Sally's in the Symbionese Liberation Army.

But oh god I love this show. With certain of my friends, you know not to schedule anything for Mad Men nights.

or the story can just come to a logical end instead of dragging on forever

Skull Man on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    don draper's past and self loathing developed way too much the first season

I disagree

I think they had to get that stuff on the table to make him a remotely likable character to a wide audience, given his frankly reprehensible behavior

Skull Man on