As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MOBA DOBA] League of Legends, the seasoning it is beginning.

1565758596062»

• Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ehhh

I never found the extra HP all that needed if you play defensively/smart

I found the 8% dodge you get from seals is very useful and will save you all game

The 18 armor pen makes carrying easy

The mana regen seals make playing mana draining heroes so much easier, etc

Health quints to me are the last piece, not the first

Zen Vulgarity on
  • CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ehhh

I found the 8% dodge you get from seals is very useful and will save you all game

Yes but see, I play like 5 different champs a night. So if I got say armor pen or magic pen, it wouldn't do much of anything for like half the champs I play that day.

edit: though I may get dodge instead of health

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So tried out Gangplank last night, he's pretty damn fun.. seemed way better than when I see him in games normally.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was in a match last night as Heimer when my connection went to hell. Turns out there was a big ISP outage in my area that must have hit just as the loading screen popped up. Sorry for all my teammates who had to go the entire round down a player. Somehow, through turret placement and blind luck, I managed to get to level 6 with a 700 ping. But around the 5th time reconnecting, I decided to just sit it out as everyone had already way outleveled me.

iamthepieman on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    CasedOut wrote: »
    Ehhh

Yes but see, I play like 5 different champs a night. So if I got say armor pen or magic pen, it wouldn't do much of anything for like half the champs I play that day.

That's why you have more than one rune page. Tier 1 runes are dirt cheap. You could fill most of a page from a single win.

But not buying any makes no sense at all. Instead of having runes that help half your champs, you are helping none of your champs.

Asiina on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dodge and -CD runes help all champs.

reVerse on
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't like the level 30 means for Ranked because that just seems like wankery to me.

Guess it's back to normal again.

If it'll reduce the number of leavers (and hopefully AFKers are correlated strongly w/ level as well) by as gigantic a percentage as the numbers suggest, I'm in favor of it. I wish it was only for solo queue though, since a full 5 man premade gets the team they deserve by definition.

programjunkie on
  • CrewMember169CrewMember169 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My team captain just banned Warick.

CrewMember169 on
  • ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ehhh

I've got like 1400 games played and I still don't have health quints.

Move speed baby.

Constrictor on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

Yeah, most of the time the only difference between my two rune pages is a magic vs. armor pen. Yellows are dodge, and blues are cooldown. Quints are either 2 hp, 1 movement speed or 3 hp.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Vladimir the Crimson Reaper is a real thing. He's another new champion extracted from the Test Realm files by Goons and other parties.

He's also completely fucking overpowered. Which is a shame because I like the idea behind his play style, but I'd feel guilty playing him.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As someone who likes Vampire themed dudes and blood mages who has no shame playing XZ currently count me in for op'd Vladimir at launch lol.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Olaf is a boss.

I have a mage setup that is 3 5ap quints with ap per level in both yellow and blue. It's how I play nidalee - spear spec.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited July 2010
    Olaf is a boss.

I have a mage setup that is 3 5ap quints with ap per level in both yellow and blue. It's how I play nidalee - spear spec.

Why per level?

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

I have one set of magic and physical damage resist runes for all my champions because I'm a cheapskate and too lazy to change runes between them. :P

Peas on
    edited July 2010
    The entire point of Runes is an early game advantage. Per level is a waste of time.

Fiaryn on
  • verbelverbel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I loved DOTA but was never really good at it. I've been thinking of giving this game a try. How is the community? People in DOTA were very un friendly when you were trying to learn and I did not like that. Also can you keep up with the other players when all you are using are the free characters?

verbel on
    steam_sig.png
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    The entire point of Runes is an early game advantage. Per level is a waste of time.

There are a lot of per level runes that give better returns by levels 4-6 compared to the flat runes

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Asiina wrote: »
    CasedOut wrote: »
    Ehhh

That's why you have more than one rune page. Tier 1 runes are dirt cheap. You could fill most of a page from a single win.

But not buying any makes no sense at all. Instead of having runes that help half your champs, you are helping none of your champs.

While this is true, I like to save my IP to buy champs. That is the main reason I haven't bought runes.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • ArmLionArmLion Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    verbel wrote: »
    People in DOTA were very un friendly when you were trying to learn and I did not like that.

I just started and haven't had too many people be really mean when I do something stupid or play poorly... having levels really helps a lot with this, I think... you can't expect too much from someone who's played 5 games... but it is competitive, and nobody likes to lose, so I have seen some people complain about how bad players are and get a bit nasty. But I've seen that in any game where you're playing with/against randoms... there are definitely much worse communities out there.
    Also can you keep up with the other players when all you are using are the free characters?
    In my early matches almost everybody is using free characters or the ones you can unlock at 450 IP (you can earn this very quickly). When you get to ranked matches I imagine this is very different.

ArmLion on
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am going to be so happy once Blitzcrank comes off rotation.

It's like people don't understand keeping a creep between you and him or that is he always looking to pull you.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited July 2010

There are a lot of per level runes that give better returns by levels 4-6 compared to the flat runes

You sure about this? The ones I remember looking at (CD reduction for example) all started to break even around level 10ish.

Also, thats why dodge % is so popular for a rune choice because it scales throughout the whole game, and isn't just an early game advantage.

chrono_traveller on
  • CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My team captain just banned Warick.

In my last ranked match our captain banned Corki. Warwick is nothing compared to that.

Cognisseur on
    edited July 2010

You sure about this? The ones I remember looking at (CD reduction for example) all started to break even around level 10ish.

Also, thats why dodge % is so popular for a rune choice because it scales throughout the whole game, and isn't just an early game advantage.
    MP5 breaks even at 5, if I remember correctly. It's what my rune page is full of~

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ArmLion wrote: »
    People in DOTA were very un friendly when you were trying to learn and I did not like that.

I just started and haven't had too many people be really mean when I do something stupid or play poorly... having levels really helps a lot with this, I think... you can't expect too much from someone who's played 5 games... but it is competitive, and nobody likes to lose, so I have seen some people complain about how bad players are and get a bit nasty. But I've seen that in any game where you're playing with/against randoms... there are definitely much worse communities out there.

I only yell at Cognisseur.

I'm nice to everyone else.

I do make fun of Rak every now and then for fighting with the camera more than the enemy.

Melkster on
    edited July 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »

MP5 breaks even at 5, if I remember correctly. It's what my rune page is full of~

Ick, I'd really advise against getting mp5 runes. I find that Doran's ring + chalice/other mp5 item is all the mp5 I need on most champs, and its stuff I'd build anyway for the +health and ap (in the case of Doran's ring), chalice for the great mp5 and magic resist, or the other mp5 item, that builds into something else.

chrono_traveller on
    edited July 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »

Ick, I'd really advise against getting mp5 runes. I find that Doran's ring + chalice/other mp5 item is all the mp5 I need on most champs, and its stuff I'd build anyway for the +health and ap (in the case of Doran's ring), chalice for the great mp5 and magic resist, or the other mp5 item, that builds into something else.
    On both champs I'm playing right now, I don't build a Chalice. =)

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • PolarBearPolarBear Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is the level 30 for ranked thing going in? When?

I think I'm done till then. I'm positive I'm not an uber pro at this game but I was approaching being ~20 wins up over my losses and finally getting some balanced and fun games in on normal where (aside from leavers) teammates were pretty competent (For the record, I am summoner level 30 and have 270 wins or so.). Then I go to ranked play where it's just a diceroll to see which team has the fewest number of incompetent people on it.

What is most frustrating is that people start at 1200 ranking. And since if you get a few leavers/complete retards in your matches, your rating quickly goes down to 1000 or so. Then you slowly start climbing up, you start feeling good about yourself again, and then BAM! Oh hai now you get to play games again with people that are queueing for their first ranked match. I don't understand it. I mean, I keep thinking I should just hold off and the terribads will sink to the bottom, except I can't, because there are always going to be new terribads getting to level 20 and starting at a rank that is (currently) higher than mine!

PolarBear on
  • NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

It is really easy to check, just pull up calculator and punch in numbers. Also there is more to why dodge is a popular choice I think, there aren't a lot of items that provide that stat for one.

Nisi on
  • KathrisKathris __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Only level 30's in ranked games as of tomorrow night...thanks the good lord!

Although the whole only 5% leavers thing is throwing me off. Ive played 12 solo ranked games (6-6) and had 11 leavers...

Kathris on
    673478-1.png
    edited July 2010
    Kathris wrote: »

Although the whole only 5% leavers thing is throwing me off. Ive played 12 solo ranked games (6-6) and had 11 leavers...

Actually I think it's already live. The announcement was yesterday.

Nisi on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I bought Twisted Fate and played a few games with him. He is so much fun, just destroying people with ridiculous attack speeds.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • ArmLionArmLion Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nisi wrote: »
    Kathris wrote: »

Actually I think it's already live. The announcement was yesterday.

Confirmed. I just looked at the play menu and it says level 30 minimum.

ArmLion on
  • PolarBearPolarBear Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I hope it will help.

I was playing so well last night, staying in lane, last hitting, keeping near my tower. I'd wait to strike when the opponent made a mistake instead of trying to overextend or tower dive and get killed by summoner spells / taunt / etc. I had a couple of nice games were we discussed champ selections in the picking phase, people called out mias, etc. And then on my 3rd game in it was just atrocious.

I can understand and accept if I'm not a 1700 elo player or whatever and maybe 1100-1200 is where my skill is at......but I honestly don't think that is the case when 1-3/5 players every match are making mistakes that I've learned to correct over 100 matches ago.

PS: every time someone queue dodges now I laugh. Why are they even playing ranked? Do they know that it counts as a loss for them when they do that? Those people have to be dropping in ratings like a rock.

PolarBear on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Played 10 ranked games with Sivir, so far 8-2.

What's the point of these ranked games, again? Other than not having to tolerate Shaco because he gets banned every game.

reVerse on
    edited July 2010
    I really enjoy the draft format.

Nisi on
    edited July 2010
    I really cannot be arsed to grind to 30. I play this game periodically because playing it regularly is an exercise in frustration.

Which is unfortunate because ranked games on the whole tend to be less frustrating.

Fiaryn on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Melkster wrote: »
    ArmLion wrote: »

I only yell at Cognisseur.

I'm nice to everyone else.

I do make fun of Rak every now and then for fighting with the camera more than the enemy.
    THIS IS A FUCKING LIE

Zen Vulgarity on
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    THE THREAD IS DEAD

LONG LIVE THE THREAD

gettin' too old for this shit.

TyrantCow on