As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

arrested develo[chat]

• thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man this video makes me way too happy

BAT MAAAAAN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XfUwX3xXaM

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You should continue down this path, Winky. Don't let these simpletons stop you from gaining true ultimate power.

Ludious on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    its a bit like ponyposting Winky

say a snippet of something that is the tip of a deeper more complex thought, but without realizing that the snippet sounds pretty bad out of context of the rest of your thoughs

Arch on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    You should continue down this path, Winky. Don't let this simpletons stop you from gaining true ultimate power.

This is how I feel about the ethics in science discussion also.
    :P

Winky on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    Ellie wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Haha holy shit, Jokerman :lol:

One day man, i'm gonna cross that line too far and ellie's gonna be done with me.

:(:(:(:(

damit are you two e-dating as well

Hahahahano. He creeps on me, and I laugh. Sometimes this is a group activity. I've noticed my threshold for creep is growing the more I hang out here. I'm not sure what to make of this.

It means you're becoming more zerg.

Ellie is the swarm?

May God have mercy on our souls.

HappylilElf on
    edited July 2010
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So apparently Leigh is still jealous of the flirting the intern does. I know it's an insecurity on her part and I should be more supportive, but damned if I don't enjoy the stepping up in Leigh's flirting with me it causes.

Thomamelas on
    edited July 2010

say a snippet of something that is the tip of a deeper more complex thought, but without realizing that the snippet sounds pretty bad out of context of the rest of your thoughs

Yes exactly.

This also describes everything I've ever said about natural selection on these forums.

Winky on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    This is pretty ridiculous. I don't understand why this comic gets you so upset you have to trash it by using words like "pitiful".

it doesn't get me 'upset', i just think it's a lame comic. i was leaving it at that but jokerman asked me to explain exactly what was so lame about it. 'pitiful' is a step down from the definition i saw in the dictionary: a desire that is immoral or distasteful. i think you see a lot more anger behind the word 'pitiful' than i actually put there. like, a little kid swings a bat and misses a pitch and i go "wow, that was pitiful". i'm not actually going to follow him to the showers and shove him in a locker. relax.
    It's doubly ridiculous because you have interests that others don't understand and you get shit for it but here you are giving shit in kind.

you're right that i do get a lot of shit for it- people here have called me tiny-dicked, insane, deluded, and even a bigot, and other shit that is a lot harsher than 'your silly and pitiful nerd nostalgia'.
    Anyway, the sticking point is the intention of the creator. I just asked if you thought it was crafted with the intention of being popular and you said you couldn't assume that, but now you say that it was made knowing that people would eat it up, so what the hell are you talking about.

I think the creator likes these things and he made a comic about them. The comic is over-the-top and fun.

i meant that i couldn't assume he did it solely to be eaten up by this demographic. i think he likes the stuff, too- which is how he writes it well enough, and comfortably enough, that you all love it. but i also think for sure that it probably ran through his mind, how to make it even more outrageously relatable to y'all. it's probably a synergy of both.

I think you're upset because you're getting bent out of shape over a comic book, deriding it and the people who like it and making assumptions about the author which are murky as hell and unsupported thus far. Take your own advice and relax.

And so, because you get more severe shit thrown at you you are thus entitled to throw a little shit yourself, so long as it isn't as bad or something? It doesn't matter that even if your behaviour is less severe it's still the same behaviour you are subjected to?

Anyway, your last paragraph does not support the idea that he was pandering. The thought that it would be well recieved "running through his mind" is not a calculated attempt at making something that people would eat up. Do you still think it's pandering or have you changed your mind.

I'll tell you something I tell most people at the end of arguments such as these where someone hates something other people like: You don't have to like it but saying it's bad instead of recognizing that you just have different tastes is silly and you should let people enjoy what they like. Some ribbing here and there is fine but this is a little much.

Sarksus on
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Best shampoo I ever had had oatmeal in it. I have no idea what it was called. I have very fine hair that tends to frizz and also tends to get oily. That shampoo was the perfect chemistry for my scalp, no grease, no frizz.

Every once in a while I think to myself, "Hey, that oatmeal shampoo was rad!" and I go looking for it and I can never find it. Maybe I dreamed it.

Galahad on
    edited July 2010
    if ellie is the swarm i am delighted to have another in the fold
    i dont actually craft stars but i love the zerg

Arch on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

except that with pony posting, the more of the deeper more complex thought that is revealed, the more narcissistic it becomes.

Ludious on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's this awesome Brute print with a dude and a glass of stout but hell if I can find it on the internets! :(

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • EllieEllie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey wait a minute.

I thought you agreed to be at my office at 8am this morning, Ellie.
    Sorry. Forgot about my housesitting gig. They're actually paying me for this. I'm pretty sure you aren't. ;)

Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2010
    Winky wrote: »

Yes exactly.

This also describes everything I've ever said about natural selection on these forums.

i can't think of ever having seen you maek poast about natural selection, although I have seen you maek poast about evo psych

my evo psych posts are like this though

Arch on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010

Once you start down the Pony path, forever will it dominate your posting.

JustinSane07 on
    edited July 2010
    oh i need this shampoo now

or i could just buy some stout and pour it on myself in the shower

dinner AND a show!
    Here. Enjoy.

Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm trying to decide whether the fact that some of the stuff that most people find funny is not funny to me, and that most of the stuff that other people don't find super funny I find extremely funny, means that I'm smarter or stupider than everyone else.

Probably stupider.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Once you start down

the Pony path,

forever will it dominate

your posting.

nexuscrawler on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Amazon announced yesterday that sales of Kindle books outnumbered sales of hardcover books over the last three months.

:!:

skippydumptruck on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zerg is my strongest race.

TL DR on
    edited July 2010

Once you start down the Pony path, forever will it dominate your posting.

eventually the lies will get too big, and you'll be swallowed up by them.

Ludious on
    edited July 2010

Jeez Arch stop being so raw lately.

Sarksus on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    are any of you up for AS?

Nerdgasmic on
    edited July 2010
    thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Amazon announced yesterday that sales of Kindle books outnumbered sales of hardcover books over the last three months.

Doesn't a new Kindle come with like 1000 e-books?

TL DR on
    edited July 2010
    Ellie is the swarm?

May God have mercy on our souls.
    I may or may not be vying for the title of Queen Bitch of the Universe with the lovely and ruthless Kerrigan.

Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2010

what does that mean?

when was I raw?

this isn't hatin' on pony, i like the dude. i just wanted a frame of reference.

Arch on
    edited July 2010

No.

There are free eBooks available, mostly stuff that has lost copyright, but I doubt those are included in sales figures.

Sarksus on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Ellie wrote: »
    Hey wait a minute.

I thought you agreed to be at my office at 8am this morning, Ellie.
    Sorry. Forgot about my housesitting gig. They're actually paying me for this. I'm pretty sure you aren't. ;)

I was paying you in sex! WE AGREED UPON THIS! IT WAS YOUR TERMS!

Wait.

House sitting? Fo' real?

You have to have a gigantic and wacky party that ends with you scrambling to clean it up before the owners get home.

JustinSane07 on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I want to go home and buy me some Limbo. I think I will in short order.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    sarks you're being ridiculous.

i'm explaining what i don't like about the comics- too full of self-indulgent references and every name drop imaginable. every few pages makes me groan, because i can imagine a 20something liberal who grew up in the late 80s going "heehee, that was cool". i don't like that, it makes it difficult for me to immerse myself in the work. i think it's lame and silly.

i haven't called anyone a pedophile or a filthy, antisocial geek. you're seriously making me sound way more hateful and judgmental than i'm actually being.

Organichu on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    So apparently Leigh is still jealous of the flirting the intern does. I know it's an insecurity on her part and I should be more supportive, but damned if I don't enjoy the stepping up in Leigh's flirting with me it causes.

Sleep with the intern and reassure your good lady with the news that, of the two, Leigh is much better in bed.

Bogart on
    edited July 2010

what does that mean?

when was I raw?

this isn't hatin' on pony, i like the dude. i just wanted a frame of reference.

I'm making fun of him complaining about the chat being raw because we always complain about how he posts.

Now my joke is even less funny than it was before.

Sarksus on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I do not know

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/20/technology/20kindle.html?_r=1
    143 Kindle books for every 100 hardcover books

skippydumptruck on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

No.

There are free eBooks available, mostly stuff that has lost copyright, but I doubt those are included in sales figures.

Paperbacks still outsell both by like 10:1.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    edited July 2010
    especially since o'chu's initial comments were strictly intended to try and get the exact rise out of you they are getting sarks

basically you got troll'd

Arch on
    edited July 2010

Yes exactly.

i can't think of ever having seen you maek poast about natural selection, although I have seen you maek poast about evo psych

my evo psych posts are like this though

I say a lot of stuff like "The most fundamental principle behind natural selection is that things that are most likely to continue existing will continue to exist."

Which is poorly put and belies the actual thought process that generated it.

Winky on
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zerg is my strongest race.

My life for Aiur!

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Like, when I saw this icon of jesus, I laughed pretty hard. Does that make me smart or dumb?

medium.jpg

The answer is
    who cares, his abs look like a wang.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
This discussion has been closed.