As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Quest IX: RIGHT NOW in North America. Go Buy It!

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jothki wrote: »
    So is the boss from the first map you get random? Mine had Equinox, who proceeded to stomp me until I came back much later.

Everyone gets the exact same first map with the same boss and uses the same phrasing about being "stomped."

Except me because I didn't even bother, seeing what others have said.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Quick story related question: Is it possible to do stuff out of order, or in the wrong order, or lock yourself out of quests?

I was working on the Tower of Trades yesterday and died and lost that progress. When I started playing again I decided to go down to Port Llath or whatever its called and check things out there. I worked my way through the caves to the top and the boss came out. I did not engage the boss. Instead I used evac to leave and go heal and save.

So now I'm at a crossroads. I can go back and finish the Port story arc, or if I need to I can go back to the Tower of Trades and do that first. I just don't want to mess anything up by doing it out of order.

Lucascraft on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jothki wrote: »
    So is the boss from the first map you get random? Mine had Equinox, who proceeded to stomp me until I came back much later.

Everyone gets the exact same first map with the same boss and uses the same phrasing about being "stomped."

Except me because I didn't even bother, seeing what others have said.

Yes, stomped is apt. :( My party was somewhere around Lv 18 or when I first uncovered the map, and I was able to survive the monsters in the grotto okay (those Exploads were murder at the time, though), but then Equinox was a steamroller. I'm an average of Lv. 28 now and have stumbled on Exploads in the regular overworld, so I'm considering trying the grotto again.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So what am I supposed to do with this lizard, I cant find it.

earthwormadam on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Quick story related question: Is it possible to do stuff out of order, or in the wrong order, or lock yourself out of quests?

I was working on the Tower of Trades yesterday and died and lost that progress. When I started playing again I decided to go down to Port Llath or whatever its called and check things out there. I worked my way through the caves to the top and the boss came out. I did not engage the boss. Instead I used evac to leave and go heal and save.

So now I'm at a crossroads. I can go back and finish the Port story arc, or if I need to I can go back to the Tower of Trades and do that first. I just don't want to mess anything up by doing it out of order.

AFAIK, "out of order" only means that you tried a higher level area before a lower level one. The plot arcs don't carry over from one area to another.

Also, I don't understand what you mean by "lost that progress". I think the only thing that happens when you die is that you lose half your gold and you're revived at the temple. You don't lose any quest progress or levels. IIRC, you said this last time and we told you the same thing.

Yup, we did:
    Taya wrote: »
    Ugh. Just died on the boss of AllTrades Tower and lost like an hour of play. The difficulty kind of came out of nowhere on him. I've been breezing through every other encounter, including previous bosses, with no trouble at all. Then Whamo! This guy has some pretty nasty AoE spells.

Keep in mind that you don't really lose progress unless you shut off the game without saving. When you die, you just lose some money.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

AFAIK, "out of order" only means that you tried a higher level area before a lower level one. The plot arcs don't carry over from one area to another.

Also, I don't understand what you mean by "lost that progress". I think the only thing that happens when you die is that you lose half your gold and you're revived at the temple. You don't lose any quest progress or levels. IIRC, you said this last time and we told you the same thing.

Yup, we did:
    Ugh. Just died on the boss of AllTrades Tower and lost like an hour of play. The difficulty kind of came out of nowhere on him. I've been breezing through every other encounter, including previous bosses, with no trouble at all. Then Whamo! This guy has some pretty nasty AoE spells.

Keep in mind that you don't really lose progress unless you shut off the game without saving. When you die, you just lose some money.

We covered that, too.
    Pohl wrote: »

I just defeated this boss last night, but only barely. My team consisted of a LV 17, two LV 16, and a LV 15. He stole a ton of MP from my mage, and my martial artist took a beating and I did not stay on top of healing her so she turned into a coffin rather quickly. Finally took down the boss with repeated Crackle's thanks to that coup de grace which lets me cast spells for 0 MP. Was a literal lifesaver.

But yeah, you didn't actually lose any game progression. Just half your money. So all your grinding up to the top of the tower was not in vain!

Ugh really? Didn't know that. I cut the power off in frustration when I died. So yes, I did lose all the time played. Would have been nice if they had told me this somewhere along the way. This game's documentation isn't very good.

Although it is worth pointing out that they'll tell you that in the first town if you talk to people. The lady at the Bank mentions it, too. And so does Stella if you've accumulated a decent amount of gold.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited July 2010
    So what am I supposed to do with this lizard, I cant find it.

In the desert town?
    Talk to the people in the castle, they'll tell you where to look.
    Also, you need to clap near where he is to startle him out of hiding.
    He likes shadows and quiet, and he's not in the castle.
    He's hiding in the palm tree west of the castle.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited July 2010
    The lenient penalty for death is why I've always loved Dragon Quest. Having only half of your gold taken away means I can run pell-mell through dungeons with no real problems, and if I'm metal-slime hunting I don't have to freak out over an accidental game over.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited July 2010

I did lose the progress. I switched the system off after I died because I didn't realize it was just a gold loss.

Lucascraft on
  • quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    Unlocked Sage

Where did you find the trolls for that ? The only place i can find one every hour is a pain :|

quaigy on
  • Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    quaigy wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »
    Unlocked Sage

Where did you find the trolls for that ? The only place i can find one every hour is a pain :|

You can find them in the dungeon with the final story boss.
    I.E. gods old place after corvus shows off his redecorating skills.

Blood Drive on
  • Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So far post game i have done about 6 grotto's. All of those I could find from the air just fine. This last one, not so much. Its literally impossible to see it from the air.
    Fortunately I found this set of maps

also, one of the bosses, PURE EVIL. Has 2 area attacks that resilience doesn't seem to reduce. Guess what he did towards the end of the fight :P. Thankfully it only took one more hit to kill him, cause everyone else was dead.

Blood Drive on
  • quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I know that, but i'm into the post-game already and that place is gone. Now they spawn
    on a cliff east of the grittish empire
    and they're a huge, huge pain to find. I found two in one hour last night.

quaigy on
    edited July 2010
    Is the Gamestop DQ9 event this coming weekend? The store I work at isn't doing one so I don't really know much about it.

Lucascraft on
  • UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is the Gamestop DQ9 event this coming weekend? The store I work at isn't doing one so I don't really know much about it.

It's July 31, so Next weekend.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've still not gotten any of these "maps" that you people speak of... although I am at the boss of the Alltrades thing. Wiped me pretty bad... need to think about what I'm doing on this one. So far, my Warrior is just a wasted spot... does paltry damage, and serves no real purpose.

So what's the Gamestop event?

GPIA7R on
    edited July 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    I've still not gotten any of these "maps" that you people speak of... although I am at the boss of the Alltrades thing. Wiped me pretty bad... need to think about what I'm doing on this one. So far, my Warrior is just a wasted spot... does paltry damage, and serves no real purpose.

I think you only have like two opportunities to get maps during the main game, or maybe just the one.
    You have to do the quest for the guy on the bridge just outside Zere Rocks, which is after Alltrades. And that's always the same map for everyone, kind of an introductory thing.

The event is, take your DS there and go into tag mode and it'll download a special map for you.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited July 2010

The first map you get (at least that I know about), is on the way to the next boss after alltrades.

Also, I had the exact opposite opinion of warriors. My warrior (was using spears) was hitting like a truck by then.

chrono_traveller on
    edited July 2010

How does your warrior do crappy damage? O_o

They're the second or third strongest in the game! He should also be taking hits like a champ.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »

They're the second or third strongest in the game! He should also be taking hits like a champ.

I could see that happen if everyone else put points into their [vidURL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Ky5R-vxns"]weapon of choice[/vidURL] and the warrior just put points into his class skill.

UncleSporky on
    edited July 2010

I could see that happen if everyone else put points into their [vidURL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Ky5R-vxns"]weapon of choice[/vidURL] and the warrior just put points into his class skill.
    Even if that were the case, he should still be a good tank.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    I don't know if this optimal/common, but I usually just pick a weapon that I'm going to use, and I usually split my skill points between the weapon and the class skill, unless I'm going for something specific from that class. Seems to work out well so far.

chrono_traveller on
    edited July 2010
    The warrior is rarely picked to be attacked... he's front line, everyone else rear. He's using a shield and sword... maybe I need to do a different weapon. He does the LEAST damage of anyone.

I'll do a drive-by of Gamestop when the event starts, then :P

GPIA7R on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If your warrior has whipping boy use it

Sipex on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you're a completionist, you want your Thief to get Eye for Trouble before you kill any bosses after Hexagoon (first boss). Because otherwise, the only way to get complete boss pages is to wifi with someone who hasn't killed any bosses after Hexagoon.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    edited July 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    If your warrior has whipping boy use it

Not yet, they're level 15 or so, with most/all points in shields

GPIA7R on
    edited July 2010
    I'd say optimal is maxing out one thing first, anything, but generally a class skill and not a weapon one. But obviously you can do anything you like.

It's well worth maxing out swords on at least one person so you'll always have someone who can help take down metal slimes. Fans and shields are also worth maxing. But otherwise it's generally most desirable to max all the class skills for all the passive bonuses.

(A lot of people are all about axe and spear skills for critting metals, but I'm still fighting liquid slimes and I can often get them in the first round anyway with Falcon Sword and two Metal Slashers.)

UncleSporky on
    edited July 2010
    I'm honestly not trying to be like "you're doing it wrong!" but I literally can't imagine a situation where a minstrel, thief, or priest of equivalent levels and equipment quality could outdamage a warrior.

I mean, maybe if he's using knives and put all his points into Shield or the class skill.

edit: I found out through someone on GameFAQs that if you want to max all the skills in as few revocations as possible, then you should leave one class with 0 points in the class skill and that is the class you should revocate at 99. Apparently when you reset to level 1, you lose all the points in your class skill, so in order to completely max out in just one revocation, you'd need to leave their class skill empty.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    I know that its been said that deftness affects the probability of steal working, but does any stat affect the probability other effects working? Like say applying poison from the knife skill?

chrono_traveller on
    edited July 2010
    I'm honestly not trying to be like "you're doing it wrong!" but I literally can't imagine a situation where a minstrel, thief, or priest of equivalent levels and equipment quality could outdamage a warrior.

I mean, maybe if he's using knives and put all his points into Shield or the class skill.

edit: I found out through someone on GameFAQs that if you want to max all the skills in as few revocations as possible, then you should leave one class with 0 points in the class skill and that is the class you should revocate at 99. Apparently when you reset to level 1, you lose all the points in your class skill, so in order to completely max out in just one revocation, you'd need to leave their class skill empty.

I welcome the "You're doing it wrong" approach, as it's very possible that I am. :P

GPIA7R on
    edited July 2010
    I don't know if this optimal/common, but I usually just pick a weapon that I'm going to use, and I usually split my skill points between the weapon and the class skill, unless I'm going for something specific from that class. Seems to work out well so far.

This is what I've been doing. My characters focus on a weapon skill and either their class skill or shields, and I'll focus on one until I hit the next tier of bonus, then switch to the other. I haven't been doing much farming of new classes solely for skill points, though I did take my Gladiator through the Thief tree a bit just for the +20 Agility bonus, and my Mage has been my experimental character to try out new classes, so he's gotten plenty of free skill points as I try to suss out whether a class is worth it (Ranger seemed pretty weak with boomerangs, but maybe I just didn't give him enough of a chance).

Lunker on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, bought, played, made it to the Wight knight guy, yadda yadda...

I don't know if I'm really enjoying it though. I'm running into the exact same problem I have with every other game that has a "make your own character/party" system. I feel like I'm doing everything wrong. When given a ton of options, I freeze up and second guess everything. Which classes should I be picking? Which weapons should they use? Should I be spending skill points, or saving them for later? Should I spend in weapon skills, or character skills? There's just that stupid niggling voice in the back of my head who is constantly saying "That's wrong dude, you're screwing it up and making it harder for yourself... oh god, you picked THAT?!" and I can't shut him up. It's why I'm not a fan of the blank slate systems of RPG's.

Still though, it's been really good so far, if a bit slow though, since things haven't really kicked up yet. Looking forward to putting some more time in it.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited July 2010

I welcome the "You're doing it wrong" approach, as it's very possible that I am. :P

I mean, its not that useful if you don't have whipping boy/whistle to attract the enemy's attention to have that impenetrable wall of a warrior. If you want to have your warrior as your meat shield, you'll definitely want those skills. And, of course, if you want him to hit harder, there are some class skills to increase strength, and put some points into whatever weapon you're using.

I found spears particularly helpful for my warrior because of the mercurial ability (I forget the name) that makes her always attack first, since her agility was damn near 0 or might as well have been.

chrono_traveller on
    edited July 2010

I mean, its not that useful if you don't have whipping boy/whistle to attract the enemy's attention to have that impenetrable wall of a warrior. If you want to have your warrior as your meat shield, you'll definitely want those skills. And, of course, if you want him to hit harder, there are some class skills to increase strength, and put some points into whatever weapon you're using.

I found spears particularly helpful for my warrior because of the mercurial ability (I forget the name) that makes her always attack first, since her agility was damn near 0 or might as well have been.

Which skill tree has Whistle and Whipping boy? I don't have my game in front of me to look right now

GPIA7R on
    edited July 2010

Which skill tree has Whistle and Whipping boy? I don't have my game in front of me to look right now
    The Warrior specific one. I can't remember what it's called offhand, but it's the fifth on the list.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010

Warrior specific class tree.

Sipex on
    edited July 2010

I don't know if I'm really enjoying it though. I'm running into the exact same problem I have with every other game that has a "make your own character/party" system. I feel like I'm doing everything wrong. When given a ton of options, I freeze up and second guess everything. Which classes should I be picking? Which weapons should they use? Should I be spending skill points, or saving them for later? Should I spend in weapon skills, or character skills? There's just that stupid niggling voice in the back of my head who is constantly saying "That's wrong dude, you're screwing it up and making it harder for yourself... oh god, you picked THAT?!" and I can't shut him up. It's why I'm not a fan of the blank slate systems of RPG's.

Still though, it's been really good so far, if a bit slow though, since things haven't really kicked up yet. Looking forward to putting some more time in it.

Then you're in luck, you can't screw yourself over in this game. Choose what you like, if you find you're putting points into a skill you dislike or a class that you're not seeing the use out of don't worry, there are tons more skill points down the road and you get to change classes within a reasonable amount of time.

Sipex on
    edited July 2010

Then you're in luck, you can't screw yourself over in this game. Choose what you like, if you find you're putting points into a skill you dislike or a class that you're not seeing the use out of don't worry, there are tons more skill points down the road and you get to change classes within a reasonable amount of time.

Choice paralysis can be tough to overcome, but as I understand it, DQIX is virtually idiotproof. There's really no wrong way to do anything, unless you're obsessively min-maxing, and that's a problem that goes beyond one specific game's limitations. DQ is not Shin Megami Tensei or Etrian Odyssey; there are very few problems that can't be solved by finding better gear or gaining a few levels and then trying again. There are zero penalties for changing classes, and in fact the game encourages you to experiment by the way skill points and passive abilities can carry across multiple classes. There are also almost no penalties for wiping out; you only lose half your gold, but you keep all XP and equipment you've acquired, so if you throw your money into the bank before a dungeon you really have nothing to lose by trying.

From what I've gathered, the main game isn't nearly difficult enough for you to need a specific build or party makeup to survive the game; most of the extreme difficulty comes in postgame content, and with that you have so many avenues to grind and get fantastic equipment that any problems with character builds will dissipate quickly.

If you need guidance, just roll with a basic party at first (priest, mage and either a warrior or martial artist). Have each player pick one weapon skill, and then devote skill points between that weapon skill and the character's class-specific skill (like Guts or Faith). Generally, you'll see better returns by maxing out one skill instead of having two or three half-finished, but again, unless you're powergaming, you're not really going to need any one skill to eventually finish the game.

Lunker on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

The way I approached it is I let my siblings each create a character for my party. I'm now running with a Warrior, Martial Artist, Mage, and Thief and will upgrade to Paladin, Gladiator, Sage, and Ranger once I've got enough points in the classes. It can actually be pretty interesting trying to come up with a strategy with the party formation.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
    edited July 2010
    That's actually probably one of the most powerful teams for the mid game. :P

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

This discussion has been closed.