As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

arrested develo[chat]

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Goddamn, Thoma. I'm glad I'm not your DM.

I've played and I've DMed. I've run the Tomb of Horrors. I survived an ancient dragon as a member of a group of level one adventurers. I've fucked over more Mr. Johnsons then I care to remember. I fear no other DM.
    Thom.

Stop taunting the DM.

TPK no fun.

Pfft, I bet you don't poke bears either.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    EllieEllie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    @Arch: Actually, I like this shampoo better for my frizzy curls. But the pipes in my shower clog really easily and the (motherfuckin' real bits of) coconut in it clogged my drain over the course of using up the jar, so I'm trying the stout instead.

If your plumbing isn't made of fail, go to a Lush store and get a sample of the Curly Wurly to try. It's sooooo good.

Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    Guys happylilElf's speaking voice is totally not nearly as high pitched and effeminate as I, and I'm sure the rest of you, may have imagined.

I figured Elf would sound like Tinkerbell.

I sound like tinkerbell after she's worked in a diner smoking 4 packs a day for 20 years or so.

Actually I work on the phone and get told that I should do voice acting for some reason.

The QA people at one of my jobs actually did a coordination call with another office and used a call whererin a lady called my voice sexy. I don't remember what I said back... "umm, thank you" I think? Oh and they then proceeded to include said call in the training classes so everytime there was a new hire class I had a bunch of newbies asking me to say things for them. So akward.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I tried to read Scott pilgrim and it was just awful

I literally have no idea why anyone likes it. Usually I can understand any preference, even for things I despise, and I can imagine the appeal, but I don't understand what appeal there is in SP.

I don't like the comic but I think the movie will be pretty good.

Not sure how I can hold that opinion but I do.

Hachface on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    The few scott pilgrims panels I've read, I never liked, but that's just one man's opinion.

One incredibly brilliant, sexy man.

Who is not nexus.

I cannot imagine you ever enjoying a graphic novel, Pods. Maybe that is merely my own prejudice toward your tastes!

I could read an achewood graphic novel.

I dunno, maybe some some cheesy old-school ones and maybe like Watchmen or something.

Although the only time I flipped through Watchmen, the panel that I read was this woman screaming "I should have got an abortion!" and I was like "woah dude that's some bad writing right there" and put it down.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    No, that it doesn't make testable claims because you can't falsify a tautology.

It is the same tautology by which entropy functions. Which means if that were the case, we'd have to throw out thermodynamics too.

At any rate, while you can't falsify the tautology, you can easily falsify natural selection by proving that it doesn't produce the most likely thing to exist.

I don't understand how entropy is tautologic, unless ALL natural laws are also tautologies

which they may be...

Entropy occurs because the state in which there is are the most possible microstates that fulfill the macrostate is the most likely to exist. It's a matter of probability, which is to say that the state with the highest entropy is the most likely to exist. Which can be broken down to the same tautology as natural selection.

Alright, I get you

Arch on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Goddamn, Thoma. I'm glad I'm not your DM.

I've played and I've DMed. I've run the Tomb of Horrors. I survived an ancient dragon as a member of a group of level one adventurers. I've fucked over more Mr. Johnsons then I care to remember. I fear no other DM.
    Thom.

Stop taunting the DM.

TPK no fun.

Pfft, I bet you don't poke bears either.

Oh he pokes bears alright.

The flannel wearing kind

Ludious on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't know anything about fearing DMs. That shit is just hurtful is all. Dungeon Mastering is fucking work and you gotta appease 4-6 nerds.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ellie wrote: »
    @Arch: Actually, I like this shampoo better for my frizzy curls. But the pipes in my shower clog really easily and the (motherfuckin' real bits of) coconut in it clogged my drain over the course of using up the jar, so I'm trying the stout instead.

If your plumbing isn't made of fail, go to a Lush store and get a sample of the Curly Wurly to try. It's sooooo good.

i dont know that we have a lush around here

maybe radroadkill could mail me some

Arch on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The few scott pilgrims panels I've read, I never liked, but that's just one man's opinion.

Who is not nexus.

I cannot imagine you ever enjoying a graphic novel, Pods. Maybe that is merely my own prejudice toward your tastes!

I dunno, maybe some some cheesy old-school ones and maybe like Watchmen or something.

Although the only time I flipped through Watchmen, the panel that I read was this woman screaming "I should have got an abortion!" and I was like "woah dude that's some bad writing right there" and put it down.

graphic novels aren't as good as regular novels.

there I said it.

Hachface on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm sad my awesome [chat] will be ending today. I need to think of another good one to replace it if I get the shot.

Also, I've started blogging daily again, and I'm really, really happy about this.

Seriously, It's like made me physically happy, and I need that in my life. Now I've just got to get off my ass and finish my comic book so I have something to submit to the vendors at the new Wizard World Nashville next year.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thom just called the DM out. Oh shit. He's about to get smitten
    I think you mean smote.

Smitten is something else entirely and would likely not result in any calamity befalling him.

Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You are so going to eat your words once you realize the purpose of that room.

That it exists for the DM to attempt to show how clever he thinks he is, only to be foiled by the PCs? I'm pretty sure I've seen that kind of room before. And Gygax did it better.

Nah, it's actually pretty simple, but I think the thing I ended up making is pretty cool and hopefully you'll think it's pretty cool too.

Winky on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Chu just doesn't like Scott Pilgrim because it portrays a positive Palestinian character

yeah for that alone it definitely belongs in the fiction section

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't know anything about fearing DMs. That shit is just hurtful is all. Dungeon Mastering is fucking work and you gotta appease 4-6 nerds.

An impossible task.

And they never pay attention to your backstory!

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    but seriously couldn't all natural laws be broken down into a tautology?

that is to say, disregarding one that you don't particularly like because it is tautologous is a bit logically inconsistent

Arch on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    if something can be good but you don't like it

then something can be bad and you do like it

so I say argue forever

This isn't true at all. I mean, it's true, but in terms or logical flow from one statement to the next, it's just plain fallacy. You could easily like no bad things and only some good things.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    2dj5w13.jpg

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Come to think of it, I regret DMing for the people I do DM. Most of them are children, but it's the fucking adult who is always accusing me of just trying to kill them outright and cheat. Fuck you, man. I'm working hard to give you a challenging and engaging experience. Stop shitting on me! If I wanted to murder you and all the other characters they'd already be dead!

There is no skill in just killing characters. Or even a TPK. Assuming you're taking an adversarial approach, then the real skill is in breaking the players wills. The Tomb of Horrors isn't scary simply because opening the door can wipe the group, it's scary because by the end of it, the players are a paranoid mess.
    I don't normally subscribe to the adversarial school of DMing. But busting Winky's balls? This I am all over.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Where do you live?

Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    Entropy is the worst tropy.

TV Tropy.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Where do you live?

south carolina

Arch on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I don't think this is true. But that depends on what exactly you mean by natural law.

Hachface on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Entropy is the worst tropy.

TV Tropy.

This is the force of nature that links all things back to firefly references

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Haha holy shit, Jokerman :lol:

One day man, i'm gonna cross that line too far and ellie's gonna be done with me.

:(:(:(:(

damit are you two e-dating as well

Hahahahano. He creeps on me, and I laugh. Sometimes this is a group activity. I've noticed my threshold for creep is growing the more I hang out here. I'm not sure what to make of this.

You're gonna come around to me Ellie
    She aint gonna come around...

Jokerman on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thom just called the DM out. Oh shit. He's about to get smitten
    I think you mean smote.

Smitten is something else entirely and would likely not result in any calamity befalling him.

smit·ten
       /ˈsmɪtn/ Show Spelled[smit-n] Show IPA
    –adjective
    struck, as with a hard blow.
    grievously or disastrously stricken or afflicted.
    very much in love.
    –verb
    a pp. of smite.

Your definition is the 3rd on the list. Least important.
    Here's terry pratchett to drop some knowledge on you about old timey words!!!

* Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
    Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
    Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
    Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
    Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
    Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
    The thing about words is that meaning can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
    No one ever said elves are nice.
    Elves are bad.

Ludious on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Where do you live?

south carolina

thats the dumb carolina rite?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I don't think this is true. But that depends on what exactly you mean by natural law.

Say, Boyle's law

Arch on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Who is not nexus.

I know, right. "Gotten". It's like proper grammar is a dying art.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Graphic novels rarely leverage the strengths of the medium.

Watchmen is good but it's not amazing. It does all sorts of interesting medium-specific stuff, but it fails in a few important areas. Compared to its contemporaries it is very impressive.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

An impossible task.

I ran a single city campaign for a while, the party never left the city except for a couple of forays out into the woods. They really got into the backstory.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Say, Boyle's law

I don't think Boyle's laws are tautological.

edit: maybe they would be if you defined 'gas' to mean 'matter that acts according to boyle's laws'. But I don't think that's how it works.

Hachface on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow. My boss' kid just got bombed on by an armada of wasps. Poor dude.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    Chu just doesn't like Scott Pilgrim because it portrays a positive Palestinian character

...wait who's palestnian in SP?

Jokerman on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    2183156311_6fe51c0c57.jpg

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

An impossible task.

I ran a single city campaign for a while, the party never left the city except for a couple of forays out into the woods. They really got into the backstory.

My group has actually been thinking about moving into just doing big individual encounters for a while instead of campaigns, since none of us ever care about backstory.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No, that it doesn't make testable claims because you can't falsify a tautology.

It is the same tautology by which entropy functions. Which means if that were the case, we'd have to throw out thermodynamics too.

At any rate, while you can't falsify the tautology, you can easily falsify natural selection by proving that it doesn't produce the most likely thing to exist.

I don't understand how entropy is tautologic, unless ALL natural laws are also tautologies

which they may be...

Entropy occurs because the state in which there is are the most possible microstates that fulfill the macrostate is the most likely to exist. It's a matter of probability, which is to say that the state with the highest entropy is the most likely to exist. Which can be broken down to the same tautology as natural selection.

Alright, I get you

See, the thing I've been trying to get at lately, but I just frankly don't have enough training or am smart enough to do so, is that selection and entropy are two sides of the same coin. Entropy relies on probability to create a macrostate with more microstates, selections relies on probability to cull microstates and create a macrostate with fewer microstates.

Which is close to saying something wrong like "selection attempts to generates complexity" (false) by trying to say something like "selection must necessarily generate complexity". But I don't know if that's true or not I'm just speculating.

I wish I had more reading material on the subject at hand because I'm sure very smart people have already said very smart things about it that I don't know.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »

...wait who's palestnian in SP?

totally pulled that out of my ass, brosef

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That looks like a small red baked potato.

Skippy, why is that puppy eating a small red baked potato?

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I love graphic novels, more than monthly books in a lot of cases.

It's like getting all 12 issues in a year all at once, and then waiting another year or two to get the next storyline.

Also, the writing on the new Secret Avengers is just fucking awful. I want to burn my first to copies and take it off my pull list.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
This discussion has been closed.