As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

arrested develo[chat]

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also thom's idea about breaking the will of the players as DM being the truly satisfactory form of adversarial DMing is profoundly enjoyable

Evil Multifarious on
  • NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There is something deeply irritating about people who refuse to accept any objective or near-objective statement about art or entertainment

It would have to depend on the statement. Technical aspects can be judged objectively, but ultimately most art or entertainment comes down to "do I like it or not" which is, well, completely subjective.

Nostregar on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wrote a post today that I'm thinking of making a D&D topic about.

It's been a while since I braved the cold journey to the peaks of D&D to make a thread.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I reviewed a contract from a vendor, made some edits and noted some questions

sent it to my boss

she replies I agree with your edits

WHAT ABOUT MY QUESTIONS GOD

skippydumptruck on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There is something deeply irritating about people who refuse to accept any objective or near-objective statement about art or entertainment

Yeah it's really annoying when someone doesn't accept "Scott Pilgrim is the best comic ever made", what's their problem?

Sarksus on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    I think it's pretty cool to be honest. I also like the creep spread mechanic.

but being able to produce 7 units simultaneously out of one structure is more beneficial than 200 or so extra minerals. or whatever the chrono boost gives you, not sure exactly what the speed increase is.

The creep mechanic is fun. It's just the spawn larva mechanic is basically "Every X seconds click a button or you are playing sub-optimally" with chrono boost there is strategy to saving it up or using it on different buildings at different times etc. With the orbital command sometimes its smart to store energy and theres different powers you can use from that energy source that are all very useful, etc.

Spawn larva is just the boring (but still good) mechanic by comparison.

that's fair. I like the concept but I understand that it doesn't add strategy, it just adds babysitting.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

?

people like different shit

what you like is probably a product of your culture and background

It is possible to be more (or less) correct or convincing about so called "subjective" topics

sometimes it is very important

see: ethics

Evil Multifarious on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

sent it to my boss

you dont question god

Arch on
    edited July 2010
    oh inquisitor, I won my 4th citow game in a row at our small gathering last night. each as a different god, this time was slannesh.

khorne came in second in VP, tapeslinger was behind but rocketed up to the rest of us.

Boardgames need achievements. 4 wins in a row each as a different god should totally give you like, 25 real life points.

Good shit.

I thought the same thing

Variable on
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think it's pretty cool to be honest. I also like the creep spread mechanic.

but being able to produce 7 units simultaneously out of one structure is more beneficial than 200 or so extra minerals. or whatever the chrono boost gives you, not sure exactly what the speed increase is.

The creep mechanic is fun. It's just the spawn larva mechanic is basically "Every X seconds click a button or you are playing sub-optimally" with chrono boost there is strategy to saving it up or using it on different buildings at different times etc. With the orbital command sometimes its smart to store energy and theres different powers you can use from that energy source that are all very useful, etc.

Spawn larva is just the boring (but still good) mechanic by comparison.

Spawn larva is my least favourite of the new mechanics - by a long shot.

I think i like the mules the best, just because with all your command centres on one hotkey you can instantly saturate a new expansion (well, pretty much) if you need to, which is kinda handy while you maynard over SCVs or build some new ones or whatever.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

sent it to my boss

She probably agrees with those too.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    I play a Gnome Sorcerer in my tabletop game.

Not only that, one with a +13 to Intimidate.

I played a power mad Pixie Evoker in a campaign. So much fun.

HappylilElf on
    edited July 2010
    Arch wrote: »

sent it to my boss

you dont question god

such a waste

now I will have to bring it in to her office

make her focus on me

like a child

and answer the fucking questions

skippydumptruck on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm still not sure if I'm going to pick up SC2 at launch. I mainly want it for the single player campaign at this point. I wonder if Blizzard has announced the price point for the expansions yet.

Inquisitor on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    atheist rage is stupid

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    sarks you're being ridiculous.

i'm explaining what i don't like about the comics- too full of self-indulgent references and every name drop imaginable. every few pages makes me groan, because i can imagine a 20something liberal who grew up in the late 80s going "heehee, that was cool". i don't like that, it makes it difficult for me to immerse myself in the work. i think it's lame and silly.

i haven't called anyone a pedophile or a filthy, antisocial geek. you're seriously making me sound way more hateful and judgmental than i'm actually being.

What I am saying is instead of being satisfied with saying that the comic isn't for you but you don't begrudge other people liking it you are calling the comic bad when it isn't bad, it just falls outside of your own tastes. Basically I don't see why you have to invalidate other people's tastes when all you had to do was say the comic wasn't for you. It's needlessly confrontational and it spurs arguments like these when all it could have been was "this is my personal truth" and then you could have continued to dislike the comic and I could have continued re-reading volume five and it would have been fine.

There are a lot of things I don't like but I don't call them bad, I recognize that they are good. There is a lot of music, for example, that I can't get into but I believe is technically good. There is no reason for me to call into question other people's tastes and it's not an argument I want to be responsible for starting.

Man

Chu read the books, thought they were bad and aimed too directly at nerds for his tastes

This is an opinion he is allowed to have

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

sent it to my boss

Ahahaha.

There is an accident management company we contract with that has lately developed the annoying habit, when asked awkward questions, of answering a completely different question instead.

japan on
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Yeah it's really annoying when someone doesn't accept "Scott Pilgrim is the best comic ever made", what's their problem?

I haven't read it!

HA!

So, um, poor time management I guess.

Galahad on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I like to just be a dick and go "well if subjects don't exist, then how can art be subjective?"

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh did yall have movie night last night

Casual Eddy on
    edited July 2010
    Wow. Blizzard is now selling pets for WoW for real cash money.

Why am I surprised?

Inquisitor on
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i love will's necrocommentary when he's playing catch up.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide whether the fact that some of the stuff that most people find funny is not funny to me, and that most of the stuff that other people don't find super funny I find extremely funny, means that I'm smarter or stupider than everyone else.

don't even think that

stop it right now, that is a bad thought and leads to you unfairly judging people

whatever

if you find larry the cable guy amusing then there is something wrong with your brain

He doesn't even tell jokes! He just rambles like a moron, saying things which are not clever and often require a fundamental misunderstanding of how the subject works in order to find funny.

It's also an act, and he's also very intelligent and very wealthy. I give the dude props for that.

It makes me jealous but not respectful.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I read an X-Men comic about 14 years ago. I was probably pretty cool.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    edited July 2010

no we got together specifically for chaos

it was a tense game

Variable on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    japan wrote: »

sent it to my boss

Ahahaha.

There is an accident management company we contract with that has lately developed the annoying habit, when asked awkward questions, of answering a completely different question instead.

My boss is an expert at receiving emails from me like: "Hi blah blah is it okay if I take off 3 days this week or would that be a problem?"

Her reply, one word only: "Yes"

Yes it's okay or yes it's a problem?! Arrrghghghghghghg

desc on
    edited July 2010

I also like this

I typically do not catch up, myself

skippydumptruck on
    edited July 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    sarks you're being ridiculous.

i'm explaining what i don't like about the comics- too full of self-indulgent references and every name drop imaginable. every few pages makes me groan, because i can imagine a 20something liberal who grew up in the late 80s going "heehee, that was cool". i don't like that, it makes it difficult for me to immerse myself in the work. i think it's lame and silly.

i haven't called anyone a pedophile or a filthy, antisocial geek. you're seriously making me sound way more hateful and judgmental than i'm actually being.

What I am saying is instead of being satisfied with saying that the comic isn't for you but you don't begrudge other people liking it you are calling the comic bad when it isn't bad, it just falls outside of your own tastes. Basically I don't see why you have to invalidate other people's tastes when all you had to do was say the comic wasn't for you. It's needlessly confrontational and it spurs arguments like these when all it could have been was "this is my personal truth" and then you could have continued to dislike the comic and I could have continued re-reading volume five and it would have been fine.

There are a lot of things I don't like but I don't call them bad, I recognize that they are good. There is a lot of music, for example, that I can't get into but I believe is technically good. There is no reason for me to call into question other people's tastes and it's not an argument I want to be responsible for starting.

Man

Chu read the books, thought they were bad and aimed too directly at nerds for his tastes

This is an opinion he is allowed to have

Why did you pick one of the older posts where we still disagreed and not one of the newer ones where our disagreements were less. Like one of the ones where I say what you just said.

Sarksus on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Why am I surprised?

welcome to like five months ago

Arch on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Why am I surprised?

Why are you surprised?

This is like the least evil thing an MMO developer has done.

Winky on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I watched the first few episodes of the Pokémon anime when it came out in the US because I liked the game so much. I was not particularly thrilled with how terrible it was.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    edited July 2010

Why am I surprised?

welcome to like five months ago

Keeping up with WoW isn't high on my priority list. :P

Inquisitor on
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Why am I surprised?

Did you see when they started selling a mount for real cash money. I think they ended up making MILLIONS on the first day alone.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    edited July 2010
    DK you are wrong Pokemon The Anime was the best.

Sarksus on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm still not sure if I'm going to pick up SC2 at launch. I mainly want it for the single player campaign at this point. I wonder if Blizzard has announced the price point for the expansions yet.

Last I heard they're selling all three at full price. The reasoning being that each is coming with a full length campaign for it's respective race.

HappylilElf on
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    desc wrote: »
    japan wrote: »

sent it to my boss

Ahahaha.

My boss is an expert at receiving emails from me like: "Hi blah blah is it okay if I take off 3 days this week or would that be a problem?"

Her reply, one word only: "Yes"

Yes it's okay or yes it's a problem?! Arrrghghghghghghg

Just decide it's ok. That way you have a vacation, plus extra adrenaline rush. Fun times.

zeeny on
    edited July 2010
    I'm in my uncle's office, been here alone for almost two hours because supposedly he's gonna show up to do some work... but now it's 2:15 and I usually am able to leave by 3. not looking good. of course on the one day I actually want to do something after work.

well worst case if I can't go into the city at least I can go pick up a movie or two at barnes and noble. that's what I was originally gonna do actually, I forgot.

Variable on
    edited July 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    Why are you surprised?

This is like the least evil thing an MMO developer has done.

I don't know. I like to still think of Blizzard as a company I like for some reason.

Inquisitor on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

I know.

But it makes those things where you made a comment and then had to clarify worse, because then he brings up the un-clarified comment, and it is a problem all over again.

Winky on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

no we got together specifically for chaos

it was a tense game

I wish I were better at it

Casual Eddy on
This discussion has been closed.