As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Yearly PAX Traditions...

AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
edited January 2006 in PAX Archive
I only have two so far:

1) Had the alternator of the car I was driving crap out on the way back and leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

2) Got the flu once I returned from PAX.

For the guys who went to both expositions, did anything really odd happen both times?

Avenrosh on

• coolpcoolp Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    Go alone, then on a total off chance meet a cool group of people and hang out with them for the rest of the expo.

coolp on
    sig.php?tag=coolp1
  • AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    coolp wrote:
    Go alone, then on a total off chance meet a cool group of people and hang out with them for the rest of the expo.

Same happened to me the first time around. Met two awesome guys (who also were at PAX) in Seattle at the Space Needle and just ran all over town Sunday night.

Avenrosh on
  • Storm ShadowStorm Shadow Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    2004: Won Battlefield/DC tournament
    2005: Won Battlefield 2 tournament

Storm Shadow on
  • BongoBongo Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    Nerf Guns at the hotel parties.

Bongo on
    edited September 2005
    Morons getting banned from PAX for shooting Nerf Guns at 3AM and pissing off the conference directors.

Wait, I actually hope that doesn't happen again.

Storm Shadow on
  • BongoBongo Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    Morons getting banned from PAX for shooting Nerf Guns at 3AM and pissing off the conference directors.

In my defense, I left before that even happend. I had plenty of fun shooting around the hotel rooms before that, though.

Bongo on
  • uc4lifeuc4life Registered User regular
    edited September 2005

Im sure they dont want to see "Business Pork After-hours" again either.

uc4life on
    edited September 2005
    Porkfry Tacos and Pork After Hours would be great to see again next year though.

This is also saying nothing about the incredible Almost-Punch-You-In-The-Nuts-Game.

Storm Shadow on
  • uc4lifeuc4life Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    Porkfry Tacos and Pork After Hours would be great to see again next year though.

This is also saying nothing about the incredible Almost-Punch-You-In-The-Nuts-Game.

My arm was so fucking sore the next day, pork and I had been doing that all day.

I think that should be next years omegathon final game..you already lost.

EDIT: P.S. Porkfry tacos are allways great to see....get your woman and move up here!

uc4life on
    edited September 2005
    No, no, no... I only lost the Almost-KICK-You-In-The-Nuts-Game.

(again, I'm sorry)

Storm Shadow on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2005
    1) Having one car of people get semi-lost.
    2) Meeting up with crazy awesome people I haven't seen in a year or more randomly.
    3) Cramming more people into a room than necessary for sleeping purposes.

Unknown User on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2005
    1) Having one car of people get semi-lost.
    2) Meeting up with crazy awesome people I haven't seen in a year or more randomly.
    3) Cramming more people into a room than necessary for sleeping purposes.

Unknown User on
  • starsicknessstarsickness Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    For some reason, I insist on listening to Radiohead's Hail to the Thief on the second day of PAX before I arrive. The first year I did it, and being decently unfamiliar with the cd, I somehow got the song Go To Sleep stuck in my head (of which I only knew a few lyrics, which was annoying as hell).
    Anytime I heard that song, for a year afterward, it filled me up with that happy sentimental feeling and I could just imagine the excitement of riding along, up to the building and knowing you really WANT to be there, and how great of a time you're bound to have.
    This year, same thing. I made sure Go To Sleep was playing as we drove up.
    Next year? Probably, the same damn thing. Since I'm so predictable.

starsickness on
  • flatrabbitflatrabbit King of Toast That place, over there.Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    1) working my ass off.
    2) ....yeah that's it.

flatrabbit on
    --"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    Year before: I uh...played magic with that guy that did 18hrs of magic? Got my ass handed to me in CS (I blame the mouse), and got my name skipped over for mario kart, shared a room with a bunch of cool guys.

This year: Played "iron man" paper rock scissors in the doubletree, played magic with the same guy from last year, skipped the CS and BF2 for warmachine (though hindsight makes me wish it had been the other way around), got my name skipped over for mario kart again, and again had fun roommates.

That, and both times I ran over an inordinate number of small animals on the highway to/from pax...

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2005
    meet up with random people 1st day and hang out with them all week turned into meet up with guys from last year fly into THIER home town and drive up with them then a month later move in with them.

And I hear the be sick for ONE WHOLE MONTH after pax is a tradition as well.

graizur on
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    1) A new drinking experience
    I'm a bit of an alcohol newb, and each year, PAX has introduced me to a new aspect of the culture. Last year it was the concept of how much alcohol can cost when a group of people go drinking together (Drinking with RvB, bill was somewhere north of $500 for the night). This year, I tried my first mixed drink at the Turbine party. I asked for a Makers' Mark and Coke, but she poured me something with Bacardi and Pepsi. I don't think I cared.

2) The weeklong post-PAX flu. I got it like everyone else, just like last year. Maybe a couple packets of Emergen-C in the goodie bags would help. I dunno.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    meeting and then being promptly forgotten by JinxFD :(

Shade on
    edited October 2005
    You got to expect these things bro. Unless you are a seduction artist and you know how to insert code into a human brain through neuro linguistic programing I doubt they will remember any one.

graizur on
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    Plan nothing, then everything happens.

That's what I did!

And my friend that I went with,

had less fun then I did.

Because of that...

That and I know how to,

find the good stuff.

Highfire on
    edited October 2005
    Highfire wrote:
    Plan nothing, then everything happens.

That's what I did!

And my friend that I went with,

had less fun then I did.

Because of that...

That and I know how to,

find the good stuff.

I planned too much and nothing happened. Except during the short breaks betwean planned things.

graizur on
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    I want to make PAX a yearly tradition. . .

Same with Nerf Wars.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
    edited October 2005
    It's going to be ok dear. What's stopping you from coming next year? Besides the impending doom of all of creation.

graizur on
    edited October 2005
    My extremely heavy summer course load...

If PAX is after August 18th I'll be home free, but if it's before that, it's questionable. If PAX is anytime before August 10th, I'll definitely not be able to go.

Trillian on

• doublehawk00doublehawk00 Registered User regular
    edited October 2005

I have got to get in on this next year.

doublehawk00 on
  • groovegroove Enforcer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2005

I have got to get in on this next year.

*shudder* the sound of 3000 people cracking their knuckles....

groove on
    [E]
    axlky.jpg
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited November 2005
    Well I only went to the one this year, but here's what we did that could be kind of traditions. We slept at the airport on sunday night because we couldn't get there any later on the bus and didn't want to spend the $40 bucks for the shuttle at 3am. You guys know those big monolithic rocks in SeaTec's Lobby? Yeah, we slept on those. We also found some sweet ass parties, including the one outside on our way back from a beer run. I would recommend to everybody to throw an 18 pack of beer into a backpack when you're hunting for parties to hang out at. Nobody says no when you walk in with beer (especially when everybody else is running out). Also the Fatburger Trek rox0red. So, um, yeah, there. Also as a postnote, I have found copies of the old Super Mario Bros. Cartoons (Super Show, SMB3, and SMW) :D

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Trillian wrote:

If PAX is after August 18th I'll be home free, but if it's before that, it's questionable. If PAX is anytime before August 10th, I'll definitely not be able to go.

You can ride down with me and we can keep a tally of how many small animals are run over this next year!

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • OMGmyFACEOMGmyFACE Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:
    Well I only went to the one this year, but here's what we did that could be kind of traditions. We slept at the airport on sunday night because we couldn't get there any later on the bus and didn't want to spend the $40 bucks for the shuttle at 3am. You guys know those big monolithic rocks in SeaTec's Lobby? Yeah, we slept on those. We also found some sweet ass parties, including the one outside on our way back from a beer run. I would recommend to everybody to throw an 18 pack of beer into a backpack when you're hunting for parties to hang out at. Nobody says no when you walk in with beer (especially when everybody else is running out). Also the Fatburger Trek rox0red. So, um, yeah, there. Also as a postnote, I have found copies of the old Super Mario Bros. Cartoons (Super Show, SMB3, and SMW) :D

My first as well and I hear you on the random parties. I didn't sleep for 40 hours, hopping from hotel room to room back to the con and back to a hotel... crazy. Also, how'd you find the cartoons, man? Too cool. ^_^
    I second his tradition of party collecting. lol.

OMGmyFACE on
    No.

style5,OMGmyFACE.png
  • skitchskitch Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    geez, am i the only one that DIDN'T get sick after pax?

skitch on
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Yes.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • skitchskitch Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    well. sweet! hopefull i can keep that tradition for next year.

[edit] i don't mean its sweet that you all got sick. i mean its sweet that i didn't. sorry.

skitch on
    edited January 2006
    leaf wrote:
    Trillian wrote:

You can ride down with me and we can keep a tally of how many small animals are run over this next year!

If I don't go early, then sure ^^

Trillian on

• DrakenulDrakenul Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Hmm... I somehow keep narrowly missing parties. I'm on the same floor, but a few rooms down everytime. Although, playing poker with the NESkimos last year was awesome (as OMGmyFACE can attest).

Also, in 04, the day before PAX was my 20th birthday, and in 05, Saturday was my 21st, and I got into the Turbine party two hours before I was really eligible and about 12 minutes into my birthday I won a beta pass into DDO, and subsequently about 20-30 drink tickets (sorry everyone who gave me one, I don't really drink, but I'm making PAX from now on an exception), followed by my hanging out leading to afforementioned poker game. This year, my birthday will be on Sunday, and I as of yet don't quite know what I should do for it.

Drakenul on
  • YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2006
    skitch wrote:

I didn't. course.. I get sick maybe once a year.

Yuritau on
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    I'm gonna try to make it a tradition to pick up pretty gamer girls. :P

Don't let trillian kill me!

Shade on
  • TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2006
    skitch wrote:

i didn't

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Puerto RockPuerto Rock Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Shade wrote:
    I'm gonna try to make it a tradition to pick up pretty gamer girls. :P

Don't let trillian kill me!

Oh man, some people are never happy, this is the post I didn't want to see.

Puerto Rock on
  • OMGmyFACEOMGmyFACE Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Drakenul wrote:
    Hmm... I somehow keep narrowly missing parties. I'm on the same floor, but a few rooms down everytime. Although, playing poker with the NESkimos last year was awesome (as OMGmyFACE can attest).

Also, in 04, the day before PAX was my 20th birthday, and in 05, Saturday was my 21st, and I got into the Turbine party two hours before I was really eligible and about 12 minutes into my birthday I won a beta pass into DDO, and subsequently about 20-30 drink tickets (sorry everyone who gave me one, I don't really drink, but I'm making PAX from now on an exception), followed by my hanging out leading to afforementioned poker game. This year, my birthday will be on Sunday, and I as of yet don't quite know what I should do for it.

Nigga, where you been!? Birthday ideas, eh? Hmmmm...
    PAX after-party dedicated to our birthday boy, anybody?

OMGmyFACE on
    No.

style5,OMGmyFACE.png
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2006
    At PAX04, I yelled out KHAAAAAN at a certain point during the screening of The Wizard.

I was planning to do so during the 05 screening, but I was unable to attend PAX last year.

I plan to have my Khan-yell this year.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB