As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MOBA DOBA] League of Legends. use skill close eyes play hard

• WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    Slicer wrote: »
    What wrote: »
    so I played rammus last night and he's lots and lots of fun.

I don't really play many tanks (besides singed, but I got sick of playing him all the time) so this will be quite a change.

Anyone have any recommendations towards builds?

So far I have this:

1. Doran's Butt (shield)
    2. Ninja Tabai
    3. Heart of Gold
    4. Thornmail
    5. Randuin's/Aegis?
    6. Frozen Heart

After that, if there's even a chance to get more, I'll go for Guardian or Force of Nature.

For his abilities, priority goes like W>E>R>Q? I tend to put a point in Q or E first, then max out W and E, then finish up Q.

Instead of rushing to Thornmail/Randuin, just stack triple hearts of gold. It'll give you a decent amount of income as well as health and armor. Then from there build what the other team has. Physical? THornmail/Sunfire. Magical? Banshees/Force O nature.

And don't forget to build your boots based on what the enemy team is. Which most of the time means Merc Treads.

Jesus christ, slice. Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

"Guys, should I build Tabi or Merc treads?"

"Treads."

What on
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    you mean bezerkers greaves

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • PolarBearPolarBear Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It feels like I should get Mejiahs (or however it is spelled) on Karthus because of his ult, but I don't know where to fit it in.

Also, I keep thinking I want to try a Karthus with revive someday. Being able to fight, die + keep spamming Q for 8 seconds, then hit revive and cast his Ult would be delicious.

But then I'd be that guy that took revive....

PolarBear on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Patch notes. Where are you guys reading them? Namely the one about Shaco's nerf if that was recent. Announcements board only has the release notes as of last week's season one patch.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I don't really play many tanks (besides singed, but I got sick of playing him all the time) so this will be quite a change.

So far I have this:

1. Doran's Butt (shield)
    2. Ninja Tabai
    3. Heart of Gold
    4. Thornmail
    5. Randuin's/Aegis?
    6. Frozen Heart

After that, if there's even a chance to get more, I'll go for Guardian or Force of Nature.

For his abilities, priority goes like W>E>R>Q? I tend to put a point in Q or E first, then max out W and E, then finish up Q.

Instead of rushing to Thornmail/Randuin, just stack triple hearts of gold. It'll give you a decent amount of income as well as health and armor. Then from there build what the other team has. Physical? THornmail/Sunfire. Magical? Banshees/Force O nature.

And don't forget to build your boots based on what the enemy team is. Which most of the time means Merc Treads.

"Guys, should I build Tabi or Merc treads?"

"Treads."

"Guys, what do you think: Starks or Bloodthirster?"

"Treads."

Mei Hikari on
  • jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    PolarBear wrote: »
    It feels like I should get Mejiahs (or however it is spelled) on Karthus because of his ult, but I don't know where to fit it in.

Also, I keep thinking I want to try a Karthus with revive someday. Being able to fight, die + keep spamming Q for 8 seconds, then hit revive and cast his Ult would be delicious.

But then I'd be that guy that took revive....

Main items are usually a tier-3 item. (That is, it takes another built item to build it.) I will usually build the tier-2 item that leads to the tier-3 item, then get Soulstealer, then get the tier-3 item.

Now with RoA that gets screwed up a little, because both are over-time items. Getting Soulstealer of RoA basically means you are gambling that you will kill more than you will be killed in the immediate future. If you are confident of that, build Soulstealer. Otherwise get RoA first.

If at any time you are not confident about getting kills and not dying, do not buy a snowball item. It's just a waste of money, as you generally need 3-4 stacks consistently on it in order to make it worthwhile.

jdmichal on
    XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
  • CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    CasedOut wrote: »
    Fellhand wrote: »
    nealcm wrote: »
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    why not?

why can't it look a player's leaves?

well, just because a person has a leave doesn't mean they will leave in this particular game. you never know how a person will act in that game unless they have like a ridiculous amount of leaves. it is all dependent on what happens during the game. what would they do if they calculated a person's leave chance was high? pair him with other leavers?

If someone has leaves they should just get thrown into a sort of 'bitch queue' with other players that have accumulated leaves. It wouldn't be hard to query the frequency that a player is leaving matchs and if they frequently or are on a streak of leaving then they get screwed accordingly. Not being able to play ranked games until 30 only hurts people that don't have a ton of time to play.

They should just lower the amount of experience it takes to get to 30, by a lot in my opinion. As it stands it takes a ridiculous amount of time to reach 30.

I got to 30 in under 2 months.

Not that hard/long.

do you know roughly how many games played it took you to get to 30?

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    haha, awesome I was hoping to play some ranked matches soon because I am 5 levels from 20

OH FUCKING WELL

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Patch notes. Where are you guys reading them? Namely the one about Shaco's nerf if that was recent. Announcements board only has the release notes as of last week's season one patch.

Has a couple patches back actually, just scroll down or go to next page. All else fails google with site:leagueoflegends.com

Nisi on
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Cognisseur wrote: »
    So... is Karthus really OP or did I finally find a character I do well with?

I maintain quite good kill/death ratios (my games have been 8:5:1, 17:11:13, 9:4:11, 6:3:8, and 13:6:13). All but one of those is positive kill/death, and most have more kills than I get per game with other chars.

But then I thought, kills don't measure skill if you're letting your team lose. But so far, I've been 4:2 wins/losses with him.

So then I thought, maybe I don't contribute to team-fights. But I think that I do a ton of useful stuff in team fights, from the crazy aoe damage to the snaring wall.

And naturally, I'm quite a good creep killer.

So now I'm wondering whether I can get excited, pat myself on the back, and get ready to spend 6300 IP, or if I'm just playing a cheap OP character (and if so, why do I see so few of them)?

just play the character, especially if you're digging him and are performing well.

you seemed to be liking the character a bunch last night, plus you were killin mans left and right.

I think once you get down his wall of butts, you'll become a pretty solid Karthus.

Just stick with him and I'll stick with Rammus and we will be happy mans

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
    edited July 2010

So far I have this:

1. Doran's Butt (shield)
    2. Ninja Tabai
    3. Heart of Gold
    4. Thornmail
    5. Randuin's/Aegis?
    6. Frozen Heart

It's for tanking! Tanks build almost everything based on what the other team is :P

Yea but Rammus benefits greatly with more armor + dodge, especially the armor since more armor for him = more damage and of course ARMOR.

I duno treads are cool and all, but I almost never use them. Unless the whole enemy team is magic.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow, this is really enraging. Ranked games: 6/11 have had afks in my base. Yehaw.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

So far I have this:

1. Doran's Butt (shield)
    2. Ninja Tabai
    3. Heart of Gold
    4. Thornmail
    5. Randuin's/Aegis?
    6. Frozen Heart

It's for tanking! Tanks build almost everything based on what the other team is :P

Yea but Rammus benefits greatly with more armor + dodge, especially the armor since more armor for him = more damage and of course ARMOR.

I duno treads are cool and all, but I almost never use them. Unless the whole enemy team is magic.

You'll benefit much much much much much much more from 35% reduction on CC effects than you will from the +6 damage Ninja Tabi gives you. The dodge is nice of course but against the majority of team compositions you'll want Treads as a tank because they help against most physical and all magical heroes.

Slicer on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

He benefits your team more if he's not cc'ed however. You don't usually get the treads for the MR, but for the CC reduction. The MR is just a side benefit.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    considering treads is the only item with cc reduction on them (other than quicksilver sash)

that's why most people build them

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
    edited July 2010

So far I have this:

1. Doran's Butt (shield)
    2. Ninja Tabai
    3. Heart of Gold
    4. Thornmail
    5. Randuin's/Aegis?
    6. Frozen Heart

You'll benefit much much much much much much more from 35% reduction on CC effects than you will from the +6 damage Ninja Tabi gives you. The dodge is nice of course but against the majority of team compositions you'll want Treads as a tank because they help against most physical and all magical heroes.

I see. I will experiment when I get home in a bit. This sounds like the more reasonable fit than Ninja.

Thanks slice and everyone for the Rammus advice.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Barbaric_MonkeyBarbaric_Monkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This game just sunk a bunch of ratings in my book. Got spoiled by ranked matches and being able to ban healbot Soraka and Heimer. Now I can't play ranked matches because I'm only level 24.

Now every single normal game I've been in now has Heimer in it, wherein we proceed to get stomped due to having no tier 1 towers.

I don't even want to bother playing all the way to get to 30 anymore.

Barbaric_Monkey on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Treads are usually the best purchase for a tank, though I grab Boots of Swiftness on a few tanks

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I hate giant quote trees.

As for level 30 for ranked, it was necessary for solo queue, though I don't see the point in changing it for arranged teams. If you have a level 25 on your team in arranged that's your choice, but they really did fuck up solo queue matches.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    basically don't worry about rammus passive because it ain't that exciting

Just get as fat as possible and stack whatever resist is most relevant. The longer you're alive the more time the rest of your team gets to do legitimate damage while you taunt and rollerball everybody

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Singed is a baller who doesn't give a shit about being CCed.

He was

born

to

run.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Now every single normal game I've been in now has Heimer in it, wherein we proceed to get stomped due to having no tier 1 towers.

I know what these words mean, but not in the order that you've placed them. Do you mean the Heim is on your team and not upgrading his towers?

Fellhand on
    edited July 2010
    This game just sunk a bunch of ratings in my book. Got spoiled by ranked matches and being able to ban healbot Soraka and Heimer. Now I can't play ranked matches because I'm only level 24.

I have a feeling they are going to change this very soon.

Not a lot of people seem pleased.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is there a reason they don't just turn on draft mode for unraked normal mode?

Or at least give people an option between the two? I like draft and bans but dislike risking my rating by playing a new champion or playing with folks just for fun.

Melkster on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

So gank the crap out of heimer or just constantly destroy his turrets. Especially early game his cooldown is too much to drop 3 in quick succession.

schuss on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How to fix Heimer:

1: Remove tower damage from grenades

2: Grenades have a minimum range

BlueDestiny on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I have a feeling they are going to change this very soon.

Not a lot of people seem pleased.

I don't like the change, but they really shouldn't. Before there were a billion people whining and flaming at the fact that 20's could play. Now there are undoubtedly a billion people whining and flaming that they can't. There is no point trying to please your average internet user.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Anyone ever get a "client version rejected by server" error?

I'm guessing I just need to redownload.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jdmichal wrote: »
    I have nothing to say other than this: Any system that encourages stat-whoring and last-hitting is going to be extremely bad for this game at a team level. If you think solo queue is bad now, just wait until last-hit hero killing is persistently rewarded. (ELO is forever; extra gold gain is only for that game.)

Here's an example of how even your expanded system is broken: What about Soraka players? They would be massively punished, because she generally has zero killing power for minions, heroes, or towers. So now you add in health healed.

OK, well what about Shen? His main purpose is to actually get attacked. So add damage taken as a stat?

The point is that this game is more complicated than a bunch of isolated stats can describe. Team composition and interaction are so important in this game, and that's simply not something you can quantify with individual per-champion statistics.

Pretty much the exact reasons the devs have stated such a system would not work and is not being implemented. I think pulling the 20s out of ranked will be a big improvement to the experience for those of us who are 30. There's nothing wrong with normal games.

Constrictor on
  • redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I tower dived Ezrael while he was recalling using Kassadin. My projectile got so close to him it teleported back with him, killing him at his own fountain. I'll never forget the look of horror in Teemo's eyes.

edit: Minimum range on projectiles is a cool idea. The targetting circle could become a donut around you and would help to stop heimer from just stunning you at point blank, and proceeding to set up for another. Could be a neat theme for another hero as well.

redraptor on
  • Barbaric_MonkeyBarbaric_Monkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fellhand: Sorry, but I was referring to an enemy Heimer just paving his way through our towers.

As for coordinating ganks on Heimer: It's pretty difficult to coordinate anything amongst pubbies, and with blind pick the only option for normal games it often comes down to random chance that you'll have the team composition necessary to actually be effective against a competent Heimer.

Sorry, but I had just lost 5 games in a row before my previous post...all losing to teams that had Heimer. Then of course the game I just played had Heimer on my team, wherein we proceeded to stomp the hell out of the enemy team.

I don't know how I feel about that.

Barbaric_Monkey on
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also for the sub-30 people saying this change ruined the game and you don't like having to play against Heimer or whatever, what exactly do you think everyone else has done from the time they started playing to S1 release a week or two ago?

Suck it up, ladies.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

He benefits your team more if he's not cc'ed however. You don't usually get the treads for the MR, but for the CC reduction. The MR is just a side benefit.

I'm amazed that no one has brought up the obvious fact that getting both Thornmail and Ninja Tabi is basically wasting money. Either you want to get hit or you don't; pick one and go.

Also, I would recommend not getting Thornmail unless they have a serious auto-attack DPS on their team. Like Tristana or Yi or Jax. Otherwise that 2000YordleBux can be better spent on many other things.

jdmichal on
    XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thornmail on Rammus/Shen is fine since you can taunt

It's better on Rammus since you stack it with Defensive Curl and do more damage

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited July 2010
    FightTest wrote: »
    Also for the sub-30 people saying this change ruined the game and you don't like having to play against Heimer or whatever, what exactly do you think everyone else has done from the time they started playing to S1 release a week or two ago?

Suck it up, ladies.

I regularly play with some folks that have been playing for awhile and are pretty good but still aren't 30

So no u.

Slicer on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    plus there is no reason why normal mode can't be draftban as well

in my mind, at least

or just draft, don't complicate it with banning if you want

anything except blind pick

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't know what it is about Master Yi, but whenever a Yi player is terrible they're SO TERRIBLE it's not even comparable to being terrible with any other champ.

interrobang on
  • ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

I'm amazed that no one has brought up the obvious fact that getting both Thornmail and Ninja Tabi is basically wasting money. Either you want to get hit or you don't; pick one and go.

Also, I would recommend not getting Thornmail unless they have a serious auto-attack DPS on their team. Like Tristana or Yi or Jax. Otherwise that 2000YordleBux can be better spent on many other things.

I believe thornmail will ALWAYS proc its damage based on the damage the attacking champion would have done had you been hit and had 0 armor. In other words, you will reflect back the same amount of damage regardless of your armor or dodge rating. A miss will still reflect damage back to the attacker.

I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS - It's just the word on the street.

Constrictor on
    edited July 2010
    plus there is no reason why normal mode can't be draftban as well

in my mind, at least

or just draft, don't complicate it with banning if you want

anything except blind pick

Yeah, this is pretty much the issue.

Having draft ban as an option would be great so that way the only people who get to experience the Soraka/Heimer hell games are the people who wish to do so (and presumably have the two on their team as well).

I believe thornmail will ALWAYS proc its damage based on the damage the attacking champion would have done had you been hit and had 0 armor. In other words, you will reflect back the same amount of damage regardless of your armor or dodge rating. A miss will still reflect damage back to the attacker.

I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS - It's just the word on the street.

Yeah that sounds about right. I've seen my thornmail damage minions for much more than they were doing to me.

Slicer on
    edited July 2010

Thanks, I'll make a mental note of this.

Are there any bread/butter items with Rammus that I should be aware of?

Like - items that are a necessity for him?

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png