As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOH Beta impressions

2»

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sladvan wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    It's worth mentioning that the single player and multi player are going to be different, as they'll each be powered by different engines and designed by different development teams.

It's worth mentioning that this has always been a strange as hell decision.

Edit spoiler : I find this relevant-
    25275.jpg?v=1

I remember back in the day all games looked like Doom.

Man, we've come a long... wait...

Also, the MoH beta is digital cancer.

Edit: I find it pretty sad that Killzone 3 supposedly takes place in some distant future or something but the red dot sight is pretty much the same.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Khavall wrote: »
    Mechanical wrote: »
    The selection screen does in fact tell you Spec Ops carries rockets.

I checked as I played today, and it definitely only tells you Spec Ops carries rockets if you are on the Insurgency, and that's because it's named "Insurgent RPG trooper" or something, down at the bottom left. If you're US it just says "US Army Ranger" Nowhere else does it say there's a rocket. At least, not when you're spawning or picking the loadout.

Unless it's somewhere and I'm missing it, I'm just not seeing it

Huh. So it does. Welp. Goes to show you what side I started playing as, I suppose. Also, anybody else find the high-power optics to be nearly unusable?

Mechanical on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, the more I play it, the more the lack of recoil bugs me.

I keep on trying to burst fire since I'm used to BC2's assault kit, and then I realize that oh right, I can just hold down the trigger and still fire perfectly.

Khavall on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, watching some gameplay of the beta, and it looks exactly like BC2, just faster paced and less recoil on the guns. Which bugs me - even the rewards and crosshair hit indicator. Couldn't DICE have tried to make something a bit different?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    So, watching some gameplay of the beta, and it looks exactly like BC2, just faster paced and less recoil on the guns. Which bugs me - even the rewards and crosshair hit indicator. Couldn't DICE have tried to make something a bit different?

It's actually quite different. But it's different in the worst way. On one of the two beta maps there's a tank, there's no vehicle on the other. The classes are sniper, mid-long range, short-mid range, with no other interesting factors. There's no spotting or motion detector unless you get 40 points in a life, and then you can choose between a mortar strike or super-radar for all your team for a while. Each class has access to pretty much 2 types of guns with unlocks. Maps are tiny. There's no bullet drop like there was in BC2.

In fact, the biggest difference is that there is no communication available essentially, which is just fine because there is absolutely no teamwork except "I'll shoot where you're shooting" and "Oh you died, but I guess the fire was in that general direction" The only things you can do are move and shoot basically, no healing, no resupply(both of those are done at specific locations on the map), no spotting, no repairing.

Also, it's a goddamn ordeal to quit through the menus while playing. You can't exit the game while dead, unless you alt-f4. It's not quite Assassins Creed PC bad, but it's really aggravating to have to respawn before quitting.

Khavall on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I downloaded today on 360 (Good Fortune struck me as one of my friends had an extra key) .I like it, but for some reason it feels like playing BC2, but with a little bit from Call of duty, and Completely focused on infantry combat. Don't get me wrong I love BC2, but for some reason, playing this feels a little stale.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Might I also add that the crouch toggle doesn't work?

I'm not sure you guys should get your hopes up about the game getting better after the beta. From where I'm from, which isn't saying much, a beta is a version in which all features are final and tweaking is the only change still ahead.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It took DICE fucking months to fix crouch toggling in Bad Company 2. I don't expect better from this thing.

I mean, I like DICE and their games usually, but they are bumfuck last when it comes to any sort of balance and fixes, beta or no beta.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    At least there's no Carl Gustav. Right?

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It just feels like a game designed by a marketing team looking at sales charts.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    finnith wrote: »

If anything the explosives are too weak in this game.

Can't count the time I've had a rifle grenade land at the feet of a group of people all bunched up only for all of them to run out of the smoke explosion completely unscathed and shoot the hell out of me.

Also deploy on the front needs more work.

Often it'll spawn you in the exact same place you died only facing the wrong direction, or it'll continually spawn you on one person who is furthest back, like sniping in the base back.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Deploy on Front is extremely hit or miss. It's particularly infuriating to have it come up on a sniper who's sitting 150 meters from the action, or a tank who's trying to snipe from the previous capture point. And god forbid it gets stuck on someone who's AFK all the way back at the start. That shit'll have your blood turn black with hate.

It's been said before, but it needs to be said again: explosives suck. Rifle grenades and regular grenades alike are impotent as fuck. You'd have more success clubbing your enemies to death with a plastic spoon than you would trying to kill them with a grenade in this game.

Combat scopes are shit, as are bolt action sniper rifles. Combat scopes especially since their Aim Down Sights view is too fucking small and feels more like it blocks your vision rather than assists it.

The interface needs work. It's not terrible, but it's not great, either. The flashing numbers and obtrusive sound effects married to the kill streaks are more distracting than helpful. Half the time I feel like my ears are being bombarded by what I can only describe as a sudden treble bursts followed by jarring bass warbles.

All in all, it feels like what it is: a console port created to copy the success of the the Modern Warfare franchise. Problem is, it copies the flaws, too. Nearly all of them, in fact. And those it doesn't copy, it creates.

It's too bad, really. I had hopes for this game, given DICE's (mostly positive) track record. Here's to hoping the single-player portion doesn't carry with it all the negative baggage of its multi-player sibling.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Its kinda weird, for all the times I've been killed by a blind-fire rifle grenade I thought I had come to hate the instant kill explosions of MW2 and BC2. But it does feel odd when I can stand onto of a grenade that someone has thrown towards me and survive. Then I hide behind a rock for a bit and I'm in top shape.

I'm not sure there's a balance to be struck there either. I think instant kill explosions are the way to go, as is bitching about them. It just feels right :lol: .

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Also I know it's a beta but they can't be accurate data back what with the over abundance of cheaters playing the game.

Was playing one game, guy had 66 kills and 1 death.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    BigDes wrote: »
    Also I know it's a beta but they can't be accurate data back what with the over abundance of cheaters playing the game.

Same. Punkbuster is a joke.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Grah. Kotaku gave out a list of beta keys today... first come first serve. After 5 minutes, they were all taken -_-

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just got a beta key in my email. Too bad I'm trapped at work.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Can't count the time I've had a rifle grenade land at the feet of a group of people all bunched up only for all of them to run out of the smoke explosion completely unscathed and shoot the hell out of me.

Often it'll spawn you in the exact same place you died only facing the wrong direction, or it'll continually spawn you on one person who is furthest back, like sniping in the base back.

I thought I was throwing smoke grenades. I mean, I had been killed by frag grenades, but I always thought I was hitting the wrong key or something.

finnith on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Same. Punkbuster is a joke.

Again, the only reason I'm not playing BFBC2 is that no matter what I do, Punkbuster kicks me as soon as I join a server. MOH is fine, but BC2? No, apparently I'm cheating. Punkbuster is the worst.

Also, yeah, explosives are terrible in this game. I have a few times been killed by a grenade, and I think I've gotten two grenade launcher kills total, when I knew exactly where they were and fired over cover. And once I got hit in the face with an RPG and that killed me. But other than that explosives do goddamn nothing.

Oh, and headshots seem to be completely hit or miss as well. I will be firing from the hip into someone and get credit for a headshot. It seems anywhere north of the waist counts as a headshot.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What level do you unlock a scope or something? Trying to snipe with a red dot at any sort of distance seems like an act of futility.

Can't determine if I like this over Bad company or not. Tank shells don't seem that effective against troops. Combat is fast and lordy do you die quickly if you stray out of cover. Headshots seem really hit or miss, but the kill streak rewards are definately intresting and seeing a Mortor, Rocket, etc strike hit is very nice visually. I just need to unlock an ACOG or a X8 + scope and see if it improves things for me. *shrug*

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    All this stuff about MoH has me pretty disappointed.

I was hoping it would be MW2 with less bullshit, but it isn't sounding that way.

Who knows, maybe they can pull a rabbit out of their hat but with 3 months to go...I doubt it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's not bad. But with MW2, Bad Company 2, and now this. Its alot of the same game all in a row. It really falls into the middle of MW2 (Arcade MP) > MOH > BC2 [Squad tactical].

I just hope they adjust the audio a bit. All the guns and such feel very muted for some reason.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    After playing this for a bit I have to agree with a lot of the posts. It really feels like a MW2 cash-in.

It's just completely derivative and generic and also holy crap I thought the UI complaints were exaggerations.

I don't even think unlockable beards can save this one.

a puddle on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I hope DICE has more foresight while developing the multiplayer. They really dropped the ball on the patching system for BC2.

finnith on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The "state of FPSes" image has no grounds - the EOTech sight/design is the only thing those three games have in common, besides guns shooting bullets at objects.

The only thing I dislike is a general lack of attention to detail and balance - the Rangers are wearing old ass chocolate chip camo, the M16 fires full auto, the grenade launchers don't do shit and I feel like I'm shooting BBs out of all my guns. In a game supposedly steeped in realism, there isn't a whole lot of it.

The Crytek guy is right about every developer needing a guy who JUST makes guns. One who has actually shot them and knows what the fuck he is doing - because every FPS has several that are modeled or operate wrong, and when your game is all about guns, they are one thing you should get right.

It drives me MAD.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VariantXVariantX Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Lol you not lying about the weak ass explosives, i was lining up a shot with my rpg when someone surpised me and i panicked and ended up shooting the ground, both of us survived the explosion with barely any damage whatsoever, and the guy was like literally in front of me. Splashdamage is just too weird and inconsistent. I can shoot a rifle grenade in to a group of say 3 people and maybe only 1 will die while the other 2 will be fine? And the one only died because i directly hit him with it. I dont have a clue about SP, but heres hoping a ton of these issues get fixed

VariantX on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    043 wrote: »
    The "state of FPSes" image has no grounds - the EOTech sight/design is the only thing those three games have in common, besides guns shooting bullets at objects.

It does have grounds, I had trouble distinguishing between MW2 and MOH, I only identified KZ3 because the viewpoint seems that of a midget.

Also to whoever said the guns sound muted; it's completely opposite for me. The M16/Ak47 sound like a damn 25mm bushwacker to me.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    They should really change the name of the sniper class to marksman or sharpshooter.

Or do the sane thing and let you start with a scope in the full game.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They should really change the name of the sniper class to marksman or sharpshooter.

It makes no sense to me that the "sniper" is issued a fucking reflex sight of all things. At a minimum, a squad designated marksman would have an ACOG, more likely something better.

Hell, I am just a driver and *I* have an ACOG (talking real life). I'm not even SF, ranger or even infantry, just a field artillery dude. It was weird picking sniper and seeing a red dot sight, that kind of sight is only for close quarters fights.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    VariantXVariantX Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    just to put this out there, dont hit the select button to check scores right after you die, wait until you get back in the game on the 360 ver because it has a tendency to freeze your xbox. Its happened to me at least 5 times this week alone.

VariantX on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yoshua wrote: »

It makes no sense to me that the "sniper" is issued a fucking reflex sight of all things. At a minimum, a squad designated marksman would have an ACOG, more likely something better.

Hell, I am just a driver and *I* have an ACOG (talking real life). I'm not even SF, ranger or even infantry, just a field artillery dude. It was weird picking sniper and seeing a red dot sight, that kind of sight is only for close quarters fights.

pfffff, realism

whatever man

also maybe this is just how tier 1 operators roll

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu