As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tactics Ogre | LuCT remake with Matsuno [PSP] NA/EU Release Confirmed! | TGS Trailer!

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Both of which are terrible. PSN release would kinda fix the latter and do nothing about the former.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd heard that the psx version had better sound. Doesn't make much sense for it not to.

Also, I really hope they don't do what they did with the FFT redux; that game already had terrible dialogue, and they just made it even worse. At least in Tactics Ogre people talk like they're not in some community theatre version of a wannabe Shakespeare play.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Err, no. PSX version of TO:LUCT is a lot like every single other SNES>PSX conversion. Terrible music, poor load times. This game adds fuel to the fire by having an early and kinda wonky but still workable translation and sort of a washed out color palette.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    *remembers the PSX version of MMX3*

Eyugh.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh god, yes. Especially if they add in some of those cel shaded cut scenes like in the PSP FFT port

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just it doesn't run like shit like FFT:WOTL did for PSP.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I downloaded Tactic Ogres 64 on the VC when it came out and gave up on the game after ~20 hours because of how dull and slow the game was. PA hype had failed me once again.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ogre Battle 64 and Tactics Ogre are completely different types of games.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh, that's ... good then, I guess. I also own a PSP, so I'll keep an eye out for this title.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ogre Battle 64 was pretty lean, though. If you played it legitimately, you really didn't have any breathing room throughout the whole game, which is more than I can say for FFTGCid

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aroduc wrote: »
    SIGH

At least the franchise is sort of alive.

As a shambling zombie.

I imagine the changes will likely be to remove the extremely broken training system, marginally less broken magic/dragon magic, and make it easier, particularly at the start. Before you got good equipment, it was a struggle to keep grunts alive what with only needing 2-3 attacks to kill one and all ten of the enemy units attacking at once. But that made it fun and exciting!

Hey you more excitement.

I never really found a issue with earlier equipment and even then that phase is fairly short as by the end of act 1 you're well equiped for the most part. It was really the levels that mattered.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Updated OP with clean scans.

Wow this game really looks amazing while keeping the feel of the original game. The warren report also looks quite spiffy.

Joule on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really hope all these changes somehow include changing the way leveling/changing classes works. I always felt like the way that was handled was sloppy at best and endlessly frustrating at worst.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Interview from Famitsu: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/07/22/tactics_ogre_psp_remake_detailed/

Most of the stuff is already in the OP but there are some particulars that are interesting like how classes aren't restricted by gender anymore.

Joule on
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I probably won't get this because I don't own a PSP, but I am encouraged by this as a sign they may make a new Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle game. That would be rad.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Male Valkyries and Witches? Female Ninjas and Sword Masters?

I guess that means they'll have to make the basic male and female classes the same.

I'm assuming that one of the new story elements will be a romance of some sorts, maybe even adding the new characters to allow different romances depending on which story path a player takes. Hope that doesn't get in the way of everything else.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Male Valkyries and Witches? Female Ninjas and Sword Masters?

I guess that means they'll have to make the basic male and female classes the same.

I'm assuming that one of the new story elements will be a romance of some sorts, maybe even adding the new characters to allow different romances depending on which story path a player takes. Hope that doesn't get in the way of everything else.

I dunno, seems like every romance in a Matsuno game that I can recall tends to end pretty badly. Not that I would mind the addition of a romance that ended badly.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Things can definitely end badly in Tactics Ogre, it's just that the only semi-romance in the game is so downplayed that you'd barely notice it unless you were really looking for it.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Things can definitely end badly in Tactics Ogre, it's just that the only semi-romance in the game is so downplayed that you'd barely notice it unless you were really looking for it.

Denim x Vice 4eva

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That's a subplot addition I could really get behind.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really don't understand all the psp hate, particularly with people who enjoy RPGs and SRPGs, what exactly isn't there to like about the system? Especially in the coming months, I've heard the same people complain about P3P, Kingdom Hearts, and Valkyria 2 all at the same time.

Don't those three games alone make it worth it plus all the others that are quality? (such as this, Valkyrie profile, dissidia, disgaea ports, etc....)

Idk, overall I am happy this is coming to Psp, it should be boss.

Mattakuevan on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really don't understand all the psp hate, particularly with people who enjoy RPGs and SRPGs, what exactly isn't there to like about the system? Especially in the coming months, I've heard the same people complain about P3P, Kingdom Hearts, and Valkyria 2 all at the same time.

Don't those three games alone make it worth it plus all the others that are quality? (such as this, Valkyrie profile, dissidia, disgaea ports, etc....)

Idk, overall I am happy this is coming to Psp, it should be boss.

You hear the same complaints against any bigger title the DS gets too. Some people just have a hang-up about portables.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'd rather play a Tactics Ogre remake on a portable nowadays. The hardware is strong enough that they wouldn't have to cut anything, and the battles are structured in a way that makes it a perfect time killer. There's nothing control-wise that a home console could do better, and the sprites look nice on a smaller screen with a nice resolution.

Only problem I have with a psp release is that I don't have one.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2010
    I dream of an Ogre Battle on the DS with the battles happening at the same time as the RTS stuff.

Le sigh.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    There are problems with this announcement.

But Ogre Battle like this is better than none, and Matsuno involved. So... Gotta go find that PSP.

Sheep on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why the PSP? It's just asking to be pirated to hell and back. I'll just dust off my PS1 CD.

Seriously tho, I gotta get my a PSP at this rate.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I wonder the same thing. Largely because the DS and SRPGs are fucking made for each other.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I dream of an Ogre Battle on the DS with the battles happening at the same time as the RTS stuff.

Le sigh.

That is a nice dream. Let's hope it comes true someday.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Joule wrote: »

Le sigh.

That is a nice dream. Let's hope it comes true someday.

This definitely could be a means to gauge how strong the IP will sell.

Sheep on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I want this really really badly.

But not badly enough to buy a PSP. God dammit Square, quit putting this awesome shit on the handheld nobody buys. :(

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    THis got me pretty hyped even though I have no intention of getting a PSP. I'm thinking of getting FFT again on PSN.

JJ on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    korodullin wrote: »

But not badly enough to buy a PSP. God dammit Square, quit putting this awesome shit on the handheld nobody buys. :(

:x

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So i saw this title and I had such great memories of this game.

And then realized i was thinking of ogre battle. and my heart fell. So this is basically FFT right?

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought the people who played this were saying this is what FFT wanted to be.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    korodullin wrote: »

:x

Yeah guys, try to keep the 'why psp' and otherwise talk to a minimum.
    Crovaxan wrote:
    So i saw this title and I had such great memories of this game.

And then realized i was thinking of ogre battle. and my heart fell. So this is basically FFT right?

Yasumi Matsuno created/directed Tactics Ogre and then was later hired to make FFT. So TO is like FFT's granddad or something. As to which people prefer is up to their own tastes. I personally like TO more.

Direct screens from famitsu: http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1237859_1407.html (note just paste the the url into address bar if you get an error)

Lovely lovely graphics. Can't wait to see it all move.

Joule on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Since they share the same director...well FFT lifts a lot of elements from TO's plot. TO has more replay value in my humble opinion
    ...it's 4 different paths right? It's been a while.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Square bought Quest, who in turn helped make Final Fantasy Tactics.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Since they share the same director...well FFT lifts a lot of elements from TO's plot. TO has more replay value in my humble opinion
    3 different paths but to get to one of them you have to play through a fair amount of one of the others.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sheep wrote: »

Square bought Quest, who in turn helped make Final Fantasy Tactics.

Not quite.

Square hired a bunch of people from quest to make games. Years later they actually acquired Quest.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Joule wrote: »

3 different paths but to get to one of them you have to play through a fair amount of one of the others.

The paths and endings can also change a fair amount depending on which characters live and die.

Page- on
    stream