As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Problems with the new site?

• Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Triple B wrote:
    Searching via keyword through the comic archive is b0rked for me. It just basically reloads the page, yielding no results.
    Nothing was found and for some reason it isn't flashing the "Nothing found" box to you, can you clear your cache first and then try again?

I just performed my semi-annual reformat, and the same problem still plagues me.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited November 2005
    Hrm, I wonder if it has something to do with THIS:
    It deals with apostrophies in a retarded way. I had to run a big search/replace to get it to validate. Every apostrophy seems to become either "'" (an invalid sequence) or the hexidecimal code 0x92.
    The hex code is bad, the ' is perfectly legal though. I would like to see it sent as ' but that is a regex for later

Sorry, I thought the validator had not liked '
    The "software" is simply a form. The more I think about it, the more I realize firu's idea of having a bunch of HTML guys iterate through the newsposts is a good idea.

Oh, I thought the newspost thing was some sort of external program, or in-page one like FCK.
    We are using FCK now. :wink:

Ramius on
  • Options
    ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Random thought just occured to me: WRT IE being broken, IE7 etc, is there an issue with just using [if IE] or even [if IE6]?

Toast on
  • Options
    bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    I see this when I go to the site.

paerror.jpg

IE 6.0.29 on XP pro

my resolution is set to 1400X1050 32 bit color on my laptop.

bebarce on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    bebarce wrote:

paerror.jpg

IE 6.0.29 on XP pro

Oh my sweet fancy Moses.

Reinstall direct x.
    Seriously.
    Your graphics card hates life and all that it represents.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2005
    bebarce wrote:

paerror.jpg

IE 6.0.29 on XP pro

Oh my sweet fancy Moses.

Reinstall direct x.
    Seriously.
    It's a sad day when DirectX is required to render a 2D image correctly :(

Out of interest, why transparent PNGs alpha? The images aren't supposed to move around the page at all; surely slicing the header into JPGs would have sufficed?

Rohaq on
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    "Livemark failed to load."

No RSS

Toast is sad :cry:

[edit] Toast is considering applying for position of "Official RSS monitor"
    XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
    Line Number 23, Column 39:

It's in the description tag

Toast on
  • Options
    Lews_TherinLews_Therin Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Rohaq wrote:
    bebarce wrote:

IE 6.0.29 on XP pro  my resolution is set to 1400X1050 32 bit color on my laptop.
    Oh my sweet fancy Moses.

Reinstall direct x.
    Seriously.

Out of interest, why transparent PNGs alpha? The images aren't supposed to move around the page at all; surely slicing the header into JPGs would have sufficed?

Gabe, Tycho, the logo, and the console face could be plain PNGs. However, the nav buttons couldn't or reskinning would be borked.

I don't know why the nav buttons can't just be text, however.

Lews_Therin on
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    Rohaq wrote:
    bebarce wrote:

IE 6.0.29 on XP pro  my resolution is set to 1400X1050 32 bit color on my laptop.
    Oh my sweet fancy Moses.

Reinstall direct x.
    Seriously.

Gabe, Tycho, the logo, and the console face could be plain PNGs. However, the nav buttons couldn't or reskinning would be borked.

I don't know why the nav buttons can't just be text, however.
    Gabe and Tycho are soon going to be randomly swaped in and out with other characters \ poses. The main thing is, I wanted transparency and I hate GIFs.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    Toast wrote:

No RSS

Newspost content not validating again.

Here is the order of my fixing things:
    -Broken comics
    -Broken archive
    -RSS
    -More transitioning
    -XHTML Compliance on all pages \ CSS compliance

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    My apologies. Was just trying to help.

bebarce on
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    Toast wrote:

No RSS

Newspost content not validating again.

Here is the order of my fixing things:
    -Broken comics
    -Broken archive
    -RSS
    -More transitioning
    -XHTML Compliance on all pages \ CSS compliance

No huge rush, just flagging it up.

Toast on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Today's comic doesn't work. I get that "you are being redirected" page that goes nowhere.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2005
    The links off of the front page are dissapearing, along with the PA graphic. This is in Firefox.

example

Edit: Firefox 1.5 rc3 fixed it. I swear, Firefox have been giving me quite the headache recently.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    bebarce wrote:
    No, I wasn't mad, I was joking around. Is it all fixed?

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Framling wrote:
    I'm actually getting a different problem when posting. I keep getting a "connection closed" error message at the entered successfully screen. Gimme a sec and I'll see what it says when I post this and then edit.

EDIT: It says

Connection closed by remote server

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/posting.php

EDIT EDIT: It also does this on editing. It still loads the page fine, and then redirects back to the thread fine.
    Ramius wrote:
    t Alpha -
    Another possible cause of the Opera reload bug could be the strangeness in the headers the server is returning:
    HTTP/1.0 200 OK
    Connection: keep-alive
    Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 02:13:13 GMT
    Server: Apache/1.3.34 (Unix)
    Set-Cookie: phpbb2mysql_data=o%3Aa%3A%7B%7D; expires=Wed, 15 Nov 2006 02:13:13 GMT; path=/; domain=www.penny-arcade.com
    Set-Cookie: phpbb2mysql_sid=91f6dbb9cf78f5789395d7b175b530d2; path=/; domain=www.penny-arcade.com
    Cache-Control: private, pre-check=0, post-check=0, max-age=0
    Expires: 0
    Pragma: no-cache
    Connection: close
    Content-Type: text/html
    Content-Length: 27248
    Server: kitchen_sink 2.0/'yo-mama 3.0/FreeBSD 6.0/PostgreSQL 8.1

Why is the date being sent twice? More relevently, why is Connection set to both keep-alive and close?
    Ah. There is your refresh problem. Something is broken with lighttpd's proxying and that is why the forums are all goofed up. When Jan @ lighttpd fixes the fastcgi bug this won't become an issue anymore.

So, it's been, what, just shy of a week now. Is this ever going to happen? Or are Opera users stuck with this indescribably annoying bug? (It even does it on the login page.) Is this on your list of shit to fix, or no?

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2005
    When viewing the comic archive the current newest comic (at the moment the path is http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/11/21) ends up as a white page informing me that I'm being 'redirected', which I'm not, it just has a link to the PA mainpage.

When looking at the previous comic (path http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/11/18), if I press 'next', I get to that white redirect page, if I press "new" I get sent to the current comic page and see the 21sts comic.

Looks like either the current days comic isnt getting put into its archive position until a new one rotates in, or if thats intentional, that the archive isnt noticing it needs to point its 'next' button to the current comic when its on current day - 1.

I saw mention earlier in the thread about searching by text in comic meaning a lot of data entry for you Alpha, with 950ish comics to enter text from thats certainly true, but I'd wager there are a few of us out here in PA Fandom who would be willing to bang out a few here or there given a template for how you want it done.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    Well, no-one else has mentioned it, but *I* think the site is faster. But I'm a n00b, and only here for the jokes, so what do I know.

Bug report:
    Clicking the "comic strip" button at the bottom of today's (well, yesterday's) newspost takes you to the url
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/11/21
    which say "you are being redirected", which redirects to
    http://www.penny-arcade.com

This is only broken on today's newspost; archived newsposts "comic strip" button
    goes to the correct strip (as far as I can tell).

Unknown User on
  • Options
    GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    It didn't even redirect me.

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    bebarce wrote:
    No, I wasn't mad, I was joking around. Is it all fixed?

:D That just made my day. Thank you for being a cool guy. :D

But sadly no, directx seems to be installed properly and dxdiag didn't pull up anything abnormal.

I may have limited the problem to either IE or my video cards interaction with IE. Reason being is that the site shows up fine in Firefox.

Nvidia doesn't provide drivers for my Geforce FX Go5200. It came OEM with dell and the most recent drivers from nvidia didn't even detect it. The OEM drivers from dell didn't change anything.

I have noticed however, since i am now actually looking, is that MOST graphics that i'm viewing in IE are slightly aliaced, its just never been as apparent until this problem occured. As if there was a global image quality setting positioned at Low-Medium. I looked around for something like that but couldn't find anything. I'll see what I can do about fixing IE but i haven't seen anything in the ms knowledge base that relates.

The only other thing i can think of which would sound like its generating this problem is in the advanced settings of my video under the geforce tab their is this thing under Digital Flat Panel Settings that reads
    "These options allow you to determine how lower resolutions are displayed on your flat panel." Options are Display adapter scaling (currently set), centered output, Fixed aspect ratio scaling. That feels like the culprit but changing the settings didn't seem to have an impact.

bebarce on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2005
    I keep having issues with the page getting stuck in the middle of loading in Firefox. This only happens on pages where it loads images that other people are hosting. When it gets stuck, it claims it is connecting to some site, but the PA page does not keep loading. If I turn off loading of images from off-site, it does not have this problem any more. I have only messed around with it on this machine, but I am using the default Firefox settings in terms of pipelining and stuff.

Doc on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2005
    Framling wrote:
    Framling wrote:
    I'm actually getting a different problem when posting. I keep getting a "connection closed" error message at the entered successfully screen. Gimme a sec and I'll see what it says when I post this and then edit.

EDIT: It says

Connection closed by remote server

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/posting.php

EDIT EDIT: It also does this on editing. It still loads the page fine, and then redirects back to the thread fine.
    Ramius wrote:
    t Alpha -
    Another possible cause of the Opera reload bug could be the strangeness in the headers the server is returning:
    HTTP/1.0 200 OK
    Connection: keep-alive
    Server: Apache/1.3.34 (Unix)
    Set-Cookie: phpbb2mysql_data=o%3Aa%3A%7B%7D; expires=Wed, 15 Nov 2006 02:13:13 GMT; path=/; domain=www.penny-arcade.com
    Set-Cookie: phpbb2mysql_sid=91f6dbb9cf78f5789395d7b175b530d2; path=/; domain=www.penny-arcade.com
    Cache-Control: private, pre-check=0, post-check=0, max-age=0
    Expires: 0
    Pragma: no-cache
    Connection: close
    Content-Type: text/html
    Content-Length: 27248
    Server: kitchen_sink 2.0/'yo-mama 3.0/FreeBSD 6.0/PostgreSQL 8.1

Why is the date being sent twice? More relevently, why is Connection set to both keep-alive and close?
    Ah. There is your refresh problem. Something is broken with lighttpd's proxying and that is why the forums are all goofed up. When Jan @ lighttpd fixes the fastcgi bug this won't become an issue anymore.

So, it's been, what, just shy of a week now. Is this ever going to happen? Or are Opera users stuck with this indescribably annoying bug? (It even does it on the login page.) Is this on your list of shit to fix, or no?

It's almost ten days now. I know you guys are busy, but shit, this particular bug can't be that hard, can it? Not when you already know what's causing it?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2005
    It's almost ten days now. I know you guys are busy, but shit, this particular bug can't be that hard, can it? Not when you already know what's causing it?

Alphamonkey is no less than eight distinct types of awesome. If it isn't fixed yet, then yes it does take that long to fix.

He has a plan, and an order of operation. He will get to it, so have patience.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    I can know what causes an error and still have a lot of work to do. Especially since the error isn't under my (direct) control, the work I can do is essentially deferred until someone else fixes their bugs.

Jan @ lighttpd just released a new version (in part due to the complaints we gave him), I plan on rolling it out to see if his fixes did indeed do the trick. However, to upgrade to this we have to switch back to php4-cgi (instead of mod_php4). In the event that Jan's fixes didn't work 100% I will have to re-recompile everything back to mod_php4. While that compile is running we then have a completely broken site, and even at breakneck speeds the fastest time I can recompile all of PHP\lighttpd\fastcgi\eaccelerator is around an hour and a half and it requires both me to be sitting at commandline, and a technician to be physically near the penny arcade server. Seems kinda mean to force Sean into the data center on Thanksgiving, no?

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    Doc wrote:
    I keep having issues with the page getting stuck in the middle of loading in Firefox. This only happens on pages where it loads images that other people are hosting. When it gets stuck, it claims it is connecting to some site, but the PA page does not keep loading. If I turn off loading of images from off-site, it does not have this problem any more. I have only messed around with it on this machine, but I am using the default Firefox settings in terms of pipelining and stuff.
    I think this might be a byproduct of proxying data instead of serving it using FastCGI. Once I make the upgrade to 1.4.8 I think life should be good.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2005
    I can know what causes an error and still have a lot of work to do. Especially since the error isn't under my (direct) control, the work I can do is essentially deferred until someone else fixes their bugs.

Jan @ lighttpd just released a new version (in part due to the complaints we gave him), I plan on rolling it out to see if his fixes did indeed do the trick. However, to upgrade to this we have to switch back to php4-cgi (instead of mod_php4). In the event that Jan's fixes didn't work 100% I will have to re-recompile everything back to mod_php4. While that compile is running we then have a completely broken site, and even at breakneck speeds the fastest time I can recompile all of PHP\lighttpd\fastcgi\eaccelerator is around an hour and a half and it requires both me to be sitting at commandline, and a technician to be physically near the penny arcade server. Seems kinda mean to force Sean into the data center on Thanksgiving, no?

I'll just nod, pretend I understood more than half that, say for the record that you're pure, undiluted awesome, Alpha. I love ya, even if the reload bug does cause me to audibly yell obscenities every now and then.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    FYI, I am also (still) having this redirecting problem everyone has already mentioned.

Also the RSS feed (still) does not work. If you go to the RSS url, you will see something is wrong with the XML...

Sorry if my reports are dupes.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    Triple B wrote:
    Searching via keyword through the comic archive is b0rked for me. It just basically reloads the page, yielding no results.

Just thought I'd let you know it's still not working.

Triple B on
  • Options
    Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited November 2005
    Triple B wrote:
    Triple B wrote:

Just thought I'd let you know it's still not working.
    I got a similar problem. I think it's just that some keywords aren't there or something, since I can search for some things via that, but most it just reloads.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    Still having redirect error with the comic for the 25th. Cannot access newest comic at all, actually.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    ewerx wrote:
    FYI, I am also (still) having this redirecting problem everyone has already mentioned.

Also the RSS feed (still) does not work. If you go to the RSS url, you will see something is wrong with the XML...

Sorry if my reports are dupes.

It appears that the and ’ entities are being used in the articles which is not one of the predefined XML entities.

Something like the following should be added to the top of the XML:
    <!DOCTYPE rss [
    <!ENTITY nbsp " ">
    <!ENTITY rsquo "'">
    ]>

-Eric

Unknown User on
  • Options
    PifmanPifman Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    I had this pop when I came to the site this morning, and I remember I had it pop up the 1st day the new site launched too. (Firefox 1.0.7)

error8zu.gif

Also, the forum always double-loads each page (still). If you are fully aware of both of these then nevermind. Just tryin' to help out.

Pifman on
    PA-Signature.gif
  • Options
    GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    New problem arises:

Websense blocks the forums. How will I live at school when I finish all my work?!

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    typhoontyphoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2021

typhoon on
  • Options
    [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2005
    Friends,

I feel compelled to tell you that it is nearing 1800 hours local time, and I still cannot view today's comic. I tried from the post, clicking Comic on the navbar, hax0rzing your b0xz0rz or something, to no avail.

I get the sense that Tycho's new-daddy brain is having a hard time figuring out how to link comics to newsposts on the new site design. As a father of two young ones myself, I wholly understand that aspect of the situation, but if anyone could help me get my fix here, it'd be greatly appreciated! :)

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    [quote=[H]olyGeekboy]Friends,

I feel compelled to tell you that it is nearing 1800 hours local time, and I still cannot view today's comic. I tried from the post, clicking Comic on the navbar, hax0rzing your b0xz0rz or something, to no avail.

I get the sense that Tycho's new-daddy brain is having a hard time figuring out how to link comics to newsposts on the new site design. As a father of two young ones myself, I wholly understand that aspect of the situation, but if anyone could help me get my fix here, it'd be greatly appreciated! :)[/quote]

No, Tycho has nothing to do with it. Gabe puts up the comic when it is done regardless of if the news post is up yet or not. The fine folks in social entropy haven't linked to the new comic yet, hence it is not on the server.

Edit: Oh! 500 internal server errors!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    kithkith Registered User new member
    edited November 2005
    I cant access todays comic either and im getting a 500 Internal server error message where the banner should be.

http://www.midrealm.org/kith/pics/500errorpa.png

kith on
    Kith
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    Somewhere, Alpha is considering hanging himself. :(

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    Threads are also not being marks as read correctly again.

Threads I have responded to last even.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2005
    The fine folks in social entropy haven't linked to the new comic yet, hence it is not on the server.

Social entropy? Ye Gods, there are people who go in there voluntarily after stumbling in once by mistake?

What kind of world do we live in?

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png