As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Quest IX: RIGHT NOW in North America. Go Buy It!

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Athaedos wrote: »
    Also, the best place to fight metal slimes other than if you want the kings is the plateau directly northeast of Angel Falls (you have to be post-game). That place is awesome, you get fights with shit like 5 liquid metal slimes. One time I got a fight with 4 liquid metals and 3 medleys, and only missed one of each. In general it's way nicer too because even if you're rarely able to kill all the slimes that show up you usually get at least one or two. Not to mention it's like on top of a town instead of in a crappy dungeon somewhere.
    Are you talking about the place with a bunch of normal slimes and king slimes, with a cave? I wasn't there long enough to see if there were metals.

Slime Hill, every metal except Kings. Pity that, all things considered. Might give it a try instead of the Bowhole.

KiTA on
  • Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    Also, the best place to fight metal slimes other than if you want the kings is the plateau directly northeast of Angel Falls (you have to be post-game). That place is awesome, you get fights with shit like 5 liquid metal slimes. One time I got a fight with 4 liquid metals and 3 medleys, and only missed one of each. In general it's way nicer too because even if you're rarely able to kill all the slimes that show up you usually get at least one or two. Not to mention it's like on top of a town instead of in a crappy dungeon somewhere.
    Are you talking about the place with a bunch of normal slimes and king slimes, with a cave? I wasn't there long enough to see if there were metals.

Slime Hill, every metal except Kings. Pity that, all things considered. Might give it a try instead of the Bowhole.

Let me know your results. I've been using Bowhole pretty much exclusively for grinding LMS's, not too bad, but i'd like a place with a higher LMS spawn rate.

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Only my hero character has Egg on. He can't cast it on himself, but he's my Warrior, can I never complete the Egg On Dragon Slash quest?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gortress Help
    Beat the guy gaurding the gate eaisly but the cat guy with the sword? One hit kills me, any help here?

Algertman on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    Only my hero character has Egg on. He can't cast it on himself, but he's my Warrior, can I never complete the Egg On Dragon Slash quest?
    There is no Egg On Dragon Slash quest. There's an Egg On quest (use Egg On to get an ally to 100 Tension 5 times) and there's a Dragon Slash Quest (use Dragon Slash at 100 Tension to kill a Slime 3 times) but you can just Psyche Up (16 Points in Martial Artist skill tree) to do that one. Anyone you want to be a damage dealer should really spend the 12 levels in Martial Artist to get Psyche Up, honestly. Tension is hugely overpowered, with 100 Tension doing something like 7.5 times the damage.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Algertman wrote: »
    Gortress Help
    Beat the guy gaurding the gate eaisly but the cat guy with the sword? One hit kills me, any help here?

I'd say you were unlucky with his hits the first time, seems like all the bosses near the end of the game can crit and instantly kill anyone under level 45 or so. If it's not a critical that's killing you, you might just need to level up, or improve your strategy (use Buff and other personal stat gains).

You did, uh...
    ...put your equipment back on and go get the rest of your party again, right?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited July 2010
    yes

Algertman on
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KiTA wrote: »

The Bowhole is still about a million times better, sadly.

Billmaan on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    For some reason Ranger is a bit underwhelming. I went boomerangs (because I fell in love with them in DQ7 and used them all throughout DQ8) and she's now level 11 but barely doing any notable damage still. She's got an edged boomerang and we're at Bloomingdale.

Also, there's like...no armor for her right now. It's kind of off putting since Bloomingdale has class specific armor for every other class I have right now.

I had the same problems with my Ranger at first, but she got better. I just gave her whatever decent defense dresses were handy (mostly what she was wearing as a MA), a Golden Tiara, and used her to stall enemies with War Cry until she learned some good Boomerang skills. Crosscutter Throw and Power Throw go a long way to making boomerangs useful while you're stuck with crap equipment. Once I got her a Crucerang she did fairly well, and armor comes soon enough.

Now she's Lv43 and obliterating things.

Finished the main story mode last night, not relying on Forbearance spam except on that one boss I mentioned yesterday. Final boss raped me good the first time, then I got him on the rebound. I got lucky: he didn't spam his sleep attack like he did the first time and his ultra-nuke only took out my MC instead of the entire party; he died soon after. Did the first post-game quest (that boss hits really hard... but Knight Watch + Forbearance got me through on the third try, since that's way too good a combo to pass up), and earned the "Exterminator" accolade for apparently beating one of every monster type available "to mortals".

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is the last tension boost (from 50 to 100) completely random or is there some stat that affects its success?

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited July 2010
    Is the last tension boost (from 50 to 100) completely random or is there some stat that affects its success?
    It's random. There's about a 50% chance.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I got my party last night (all custom characters, with my families names, Priest, Mage, Martial Artist). I found it interesting the game didn't tell me that I was actually in a position to get a party, I only noticed when I walked in the inn to heal myself after soloing for a bit, but that's a tiny gripe at best.

That said, I have to say, this game is so fun. Final Fantasy XIII really poisoned me on JRPG's. I was so disappointed with it, and had been disappointed with so many "sure fire" JRPG's in the past couple years, I was almost done with the genre. So far, DQ9 has really refreshed the genre for me, and it's exciting. Really, I haven't had this much with a JRPG since...DQ8, go figure. My JRPG playing had mostly strayed to the purely nostalgic lately (until inserting DQ9, Chrono Trigger was a main stay in my DS), but this has given me hope that there is still some one making JRPG's that aren't pretentious J-Emo affairs.

I do hope DQ10 goes back to a full size console though (PS3 I would guess?). Not so much because I dislike the DS (I don't), I just want to stretch out on the couch and play Dragon Quest on my big TV.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited July 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So I got my party last night (all custom characters, with my families names, Priest, Mage, Martial Artist). I found it interesting the game didn't tell me that I was actually in a position to get a party, I only noticed when I walked in the inn to heal myself after soloing for a bit, but that's a tiny gripe at best.
    Patty tells you if you talk to her as soon as the scene in the Stornway inn is over.
    I do hope DQ10 goes back to a full size console though (PS3 I would guess?). Not so much because I dislike the DS (I don't), I just want to stretch out on the couch and play Dragon Quest on my big TV.
    DQX is going to be on the Wii. Dragon Quest has always gone onto the Market Leader of the time, that's why it went from NES to SNES to PSX to PS2 to DS.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DQX being on the Wii makes me happy...because I already own a Wii. It makes sense from a business standpoint too. It allows SE to focus their FF series on the 360 and PS3 while bringing DQ games to the Wii, giving them full platform exposure on main titles.

Sipex on
    edited July 2010
    DQX being on the Wii makes me happy...because I already own a Wii. It makes sense from a business standpoint too. It allows SE to focus their FF series on fashion and no substance while bringing DQ games to the Wii, giving them full platform exposure on main titles.

Algertman on
    edited July 2010
    Because of the really late edit (I shouldn't walk away from my comp while I'm editing), reposting question:

Also, does any one here use knives? I have a knife user that started out as a thief, then I switched her to mage (I think I did this originally because one of the knife abilities uses MP, but I'm not sure about that). But, while I'm usually big on casters, the limited/expensive ways to recover magic seems to limit me to just having my mage just steal/hope for the insta-kill proc on the assassin's knife until I get to a boss to actually use magic. Not sure what to do with this character.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited July 2010
    I took my Thief and made him a hunter and never looked back.

Algertman on
    edited July 2010
    Because of the really late edit (I shouldn't walk away from my comp while I'm editing), reposting question:

Also, does any one here use knives? I have a knife user that started out as a thief, then I switched her to mage (I think I did this originally because one of the knife abilities uses MP, but I'm not sure about that). But, while I'm usually big on casters, the limited/expensive ways to recover magic seems to limit me to just having my mage just steal/hope for the insta-kill proc on the assassin's knife until I get to a boss to actually use magic. Not sure what to do with this character.

If you have your Mage use a wand, he steals MP on hit. You don't even need points in the wand skill, just keep a wand around you can switch to mid fight and whack away a couple of times.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited July 2010
    I use Knives on my theif (who's currently rangering) and they have good power when you start putting points into them.

Sipex on
    edited July 2010

If you have your Mage use a wand, he steals MP on hit. You don't even need points in the wand skill, just keep a wand around you can switch to mid fight and whack away a couple of times.

I do know about this, and my priest uses this to great avail, but I think that works for me because she only needs to heal maybe every other round and only costs like 5 mp (I think that is what midheal costs), which she can get back in 2-3 whacks of the wand. On the other hand, crackle costs 8 MP (I think?) which usually takes like 4-5 hits to recover that MP, which ends up being rather poor damage on average. And works out that just attacking with the knife using no MP ends up doing more damage (especially when the instakill procs).

I mean, I'll be making someone go wand mage, since he is extremely useful for boss fights. I'm more just interested in what classes people use knives with (if at all)?

chrono_traveller on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Maxing wands and using wands with 8%+ MP recovery has in no way increased the amount of MP restored per hit.

What's the point of it?

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I got wands up to auto recovery but its like some bullshit amount that its pretty pointless.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I got wands up to auto recovery but its like some bullshit amount that its pretty pointless.

This is good to know. I almost started down the wand path specifically for this ability. Glad to know it's kind of crap. I'll go a different route with my mage I guess.

GnomeTank on
    edited July 2010
    I've not noticed a consistant rise in leeching MP yet (although I sometimes leech 2 MP instead of 1 now) but the amounts, so far, have been usable. It allows me to attack in easier battles and throw spells into the fray on harder ones.

I just wish wands increased magical might and mending.

Sipex on
    edited July 2010
    You want the Wands for the MP Bonuses more than anything. +100 when equipped with a Wand is not a small amount. And, honestly, the Auto-Recovery is about 2-5 a round, which isn't awful.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Talith wrote: »
    Maxing wands and using wands with 8%+ MP recovery has in no way increased the amount of MP restored per hit.

What's the point of it?

Is the %MP recovery based on the Mage's MP, on the monster's, or on the damage dealt? There's also the fact that you can't gain MP beyond your max, so unless you've cast your mage dry you might not be seeing the full effect.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited July 2010
    Wand regen for my mage has been between 1-3 MP per turn. Max wands with a higher MP steal wand still only results in 1-2 MP stolen per hit, when it actually lands. The mage skill that restores MP per turn seems to consistently restore 3 MP per turn.

SO, you can technically restore 5-9 MP per turn pretty consistently when you want to.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
    edited July 2010

This is good to know. I almost started down the wand path specifically for this ability. Glad to know it's kind of crap. I'll go a different route with my mage I guess.

Wait is auto recovery useless or the % MP recovery useless or both?

I was thinking the only way % MP recovery would be useful is if my mage is hitting for like 100+ with wands by end game. Maybe it'd be worth it if he had some of the natural +strength from warrior or gladiator? I'm just speculating here. Still in the desert town (Gleeba?) currently.

chrono_traveller on
    edited July 2010
    Wand regen for my mage has been between 1-3 MP per turn. Max wands with a higher MP steal wand still only results in 1-2 MP stolen per hit, when it actually lands. The mage skill that restores MP per turn seems to consistently restore 3 MP per turn.

SO, you can technically restore 5-9 MP per turn pretty consistently when you want to.

That's not bad at all combined with cheaper spells from Sage. You could get a Multiheal almost every other turn.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited July 2010
    It sounds like, stand alone, the freebie magic recovery options suck. You really begin to see the advantages once you combine them.

Sipex on
    edited July 2010
    I'm stuck in a rut. My characters are great but I can't get past Leviathan without somebody dying on accident. I wish my priest had a group heal.

Cantido on
    edited July 2010
    Also, something I've noticed today. I was in Bloomingdale doing the story part...
    Talking to the rich girl who's being pestered by her 'friends' who I noticed were normal NPCs. Not only that but they're normal, 2D npcs.

Up until this point I never realised the default NPCS were all 2D! It bugs me now :(

Sipex on
    edited July 2010
    I'm stuck in a rut. My characters are great but I can't get past Leviathan without somebody dying on accident. I wish my priest had a group heal.

Take the death, sometimes you just have to.

You'll be able to revive them for pretty cheap anyways.

Sipex on
    edited July 2010

Take the death, sometimes you just have to.

You'll be able to revive them for pretty cheap anyways.

But...but...OCD!

Cantido on
    edited July 2010
    Just get over it, I'd say. I did it early when I died during the part you have to solo and just rolled with it.

UncleSporky on
    edited July 2010
    Wait until enemies start getting criticals for more than you have max health.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm sorta camping out at that "dungeon" to the west of Coffin... Coffin-something... There are the occasional Metal Slimes in those hallways, so I'm grinding up a bit before I go back to the Alltrades tower.

GPIA7R on
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Vyolynce wrote: »

What's the point of it?

Is the %MP recovery based on the Mage's MP, on the monster's, or on the damage dealt?

Yes.

Seriously though, I think it's based on damage dealt, with the caveat that the monster you're attacking must actually have that much MP for you to drain. It seems wildly inconsistent, though; my casters' melee damage doesn't vary that much, but sometimes they'll leech 5-6 MP on a hit, sometimes 11-12.

Billmaan on
    edited July 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    I'm sorta camping out at that "dungeon" to the west of Coffin... Coffin-something... There are the occasional Metal Slimes in those hallways, so I'm grinding up a bit before I go back to the Alltrades tower.

My advice would be to try and do the armamentalist quest if you haven't done so already while you're grinding the metal slimes since its a bloody pain and you need a fair amount of luck to get it.

Effin' armamentalist quest.

chrono_traveller on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »

My advice would be to try and do the armamentalist quest if you haven't done so already while you're grinding the metal slimes since its a bloody pain and you need a fair amount of luck to get it.

Effin' armamentalist quest.

Where do I get this quest? I'm fairly early in the game, everyone is about level 17.

GPIA7R on
This discussion has been closed.