As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Quest IX: RIGHT NOW in North America. Go Buy It!

1575859606163»

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    I'm sorta camping out at that "dungeon" to the west of Coffin... Coffin-something... There are the occasional Metal Slimes in those hallways, so I'm grinding up a bit before I go back to the Alltrades tower.

My advice would be to try and do the armamentalist quest if you haven't done so already while you're grinding the metal slimes since its a bloody pain and you need a fair amount of luck to get it.

Effin' armamentalist quest.

Where do I get this quest? I'm fairly early in the game, everyone is about level 17.

At the alltrades tower after you beat the boss there.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have not been able to make any real use of the armamentalist force skills at all.

I am delightfully dapper though.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Armamentalist sounds like a buffer/debuffer yet people don't seem to like them too much.

Why is this?

Sipex on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oooo, new thread time...

GPIA7R on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    The Armamentalist sounds like a buffer/debuffer yet people don't seem to like them too much.

Why is this?

It's easier and better to spread your buffs/debuffs across two or more characters.

You could have a mage who has sap and also awesome strong magic, and a priest who has buff and also awesome strong heals...or you could have one guy who has both and is pretty mediocre and weak, and can't use both on the same turn.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited July 2010
    I admittedly have unlocked armamentalist, but haven't used the class yet.

So on the knife discussion, is that no one really uses knives? I think I may switch her over to a claw user and grab the buffs from thief and martial artist.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited July 2010
    My thief uses knives, they've got pretty good attack power and crit rate plus many have interesting side effects on hit.

Sipex on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is there a list somewhere of what each weapons gimmick is? My main is going sword/board, because that's what Dragon Quest Hero's should do, god damnit.

But on my other chars, I'd like to know what the various utilities of each weapon is. Specifically things like Fan and Spear.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited July 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Is there a list somewhere of what each weapons gimmick is? My main is going sword/board, because that's what Dragon Quest Hero's should do, god damnit.

But on my other chars, I'd like to know what the various utilities of each weapon is. Specifically things like Fan and Spear.

I was thinking that this would be good for OP material, along with farming points (linked jpg somewhere in this thread), which weapons each class can naturally wield (posted by blackjack earlier).

chrono_traveller on
    edited July 2010
    My thief uses knives, they've got pretty good attack power and crit rate plus many have interesting side effects on hit.

Is there some hidden stat on the weapon about crit rate or is that just a function of being a thief and having high deftness?

chrono_traveller on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So what is the point of Egg On? I have to use my main character's turn to use it, and not attack with the guy being egged on, for several turns to get to max?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
    edited July 2010
    So what is the point of Egg On? I have to use my main character's turn to use it, and not attack with the guy being egged on, for several turns to get to max?

You can combine it with the target using Psyche Up to get max faster.

GPIA7R on
    edited July 2010

Huuuuge damage! I think its something like 8x damage with max tension, and especially if you're also psyching up while being egged on, you essentially lose 4 turns (2 for each character) to get 8x damage with (hopefully) your biggest physical damage dealer.

chrono_traveller on
    edited July 2010

Is there some hidden stat on the weapon about crit rate or is that just a function of being a thief and having high deftness?

Unsure but one of the key stats must up it since my thief crits pretty regularily (compared to the others). The weapons path increases the crit rate twice at least as well.

Sipex on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Talith wrote: »
    Wait until enemies start getting criticals for more than you have max health.

Just wait until you do more damage to yourself with Double-Edged Slash than you(r entire party) has max health.

Been grinding on Slime Hill today. It's... good. Really good. Better than the Bowhole Liquid Metal Slimes, as it's faster over time.

Also: The fact that we have finally, after years of not managing it, maxxed out a Dragon Quest thread on these forums fills me with pride.

A new thread approaches! Command?_

KiTA on
  • hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No DQVC update today? Same stuff as yesterday, even has the stuff I bought yesterday grayed out.

hamdingers on
    edited July 2010
    GPIA7R on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »
    Where in the Tower of Nod do Metal King Slimes appear?
    5th Floor. They don't have their own sprite there, though. Just a chance to be in a fight with other things.

As for fans being great Metal Killers, there are fans that, outside of the very rare dodge, never miss metal slimes so a few of those + Fandango for everyone...
    and these fans are... damn. being cryptic isn't very helpful

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't know which ones! If I did I would have named them!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just passed the 50 hour mark and
    awakened Celestia

How much further do I have to go? Not that I want it to end, but if I'm close I'd like to just stomp on through and get on with the post game stuff :D

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • DarkDeadDarkDead Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    Egg doesnt care so much just get psyche up and feel the burn sance and then you have to much tension let a mage cast oomph and ur the boss but slime quest doesnt matter where i egged on my co mate and 3 slimes keeped backing up so just kill all slime except last 1 and keep egging simple quest and yeah gladiator are 1 of the best vocations

ask me anything completed the game allready ^-^

DarkDead on
    edited July 2010
    chrono_traveller on
  • klompryklompry Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So im at the
    wyrmwood creak
    and i was wondering back at
    alltrades abbey part
    did anyone do the
    leviathon part at port lathen
    before beating
    master of nu'un

klompry on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey folks, it's my birthday today!

I got a custom title, but anyone know if other fun stuff is unlocked or can occur if I play today?

DarkPrimus on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    When I can't tell what part of the game you're at, I can't click on the spoiler 'cause I don't know if you're in front or behind me.

Also, use this thread guys: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=124337. This one's getting a bit long in the tooth.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm at alltrades now. When/where should I have gotten alchemy? Seems like I passed it.

Huxley on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bless you, my child. Please turn the thread OFF.

jothki on
This discussion has been closed.