As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ITT: What was your very first comic?

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    well wildcat, you are a filthy foreigner

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    And I make my filthy foreign laugh in your all-American face, TLB!

Wildcat on
    edited July 2010
    laugh all you want

I mean you only live in the worst country imaginable

a country that is not America

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Like you have already lost the battle because you aren't American

You can never be as handsome or strong or clever or well-liked as me

Or really ever any of those things

Because you are from Sucksville, Earth

(there is no Sucksville in America)

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    I mean, I can't even contemplate actually choosing to not live in America

It's okay if you are too poor and too awful to be allowed to come here

But if you have the means

And still choose not to

It's like wanting to be terrible in every conceivable fashion

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am inspired by your speech TLB

I always thought you were Team Iceland instead of Team USA because you were wooed by the blonde teacher instead of the secret hot USA teacher.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    man the hell's the matter with you

I bleed red, white, and blue

I eat patriotism and shit freedom

I am 1/16th Eagle

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    I can never tell if you're just being an ironic hipster in regards to loving this great country, home of Journey and ZZ Top.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    I hate people who enjoy things ironically so damn much

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    OK then, this is what I want to read.

Thank you.

TexiKen on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This was my first comic.

273-1.jpg

It was given to me by a little person dressed up as a familiar character during my first trip to Disneyworld.

I was like 9, and I've been hooked since.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
    edited July 2010
    laugh all you want

I mean you only live in the worst country imaginable

a country that is not America

Well, I will admit not living in a country that had the shit bombed out of it for 30 years is appealing.

Wildcat on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man Wildcat our country is a pretty rad place to live.

I'd rather live here than in the US.

Solar on
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, but I live in the bit over the sea that half the mail order firms won't deliver to. :( I think I'd rather live in Scotland sometimes.

Wildcat on
    edited July 2010
    yeah your country is rad

I mean, if you like being awful and all that

Some people like being awful

It's cool

I guess

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Be careful TLB, we are a net exporter of snark and bombs.

Wildcat on
  • machosasquatchomachosasquatcho Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For me it was Spawn #1. I was the perfect age to be impressed by that Image stuff... I remember a kid was showing a copy in the PE locker room. And I thought it was so cool, I rode my bike to the comic shop and bought one too.

machosasquatcho on
    edited July 2010
    snark don't win wars

and our bombs are bigger
    much like our cocks
    because you see, bombs are phallic symbols
    I got a huge wang because I am American

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Pshaw, bring it doughboy.

Wildcat on
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    2wqacs9.jpg

I was 12. I had thumbed through some Marvel Comics Presents: Wolverine that a friend had loaned me and it kept talking about some team he was on called the X-Men. So I went to the local bookstore/comic shop and tried to pick out an X-Men one from the rack.

I got this one because it had this huge two page layout with all the characters with thier names listed next to them. (It was a showdown with the Marauders). Got it so I could learn all the names of the characters even though I had NO clue what was going on.

cptrugged on
  • devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    kravens-last-hunt.jpg

My uncle my started me with this series. Now, if only I kept these in good condition. I still have them all, but my god, missing covers and whatnot. As well as ASM #298-301. Oh the things you learn about comics as you grow older.

deveric on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I have the whole Kraven's Last Hunt and then some random X-Force. Then I went on hiatus for 10 years.

cardboard delusions on
    edited July 2010
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Pshaw, bring it doughboy.

I will bring it by not saving your ass in the next war you lousy tea drinkers get in over your heads in

The sun set on the British Empire a long time ago

All glory and honor to AMERICA

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    All glory and honor to the hypnotoad
    I hate myself

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited July 2010
    you should

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    But that is a biting satire of the corporate culture CL has constructed!

Wildcat on
  • majandermajander Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Yeah, but I live in the bit over the sea that half the mail order firms won't deliver to. :( I think I'd rather live in Scotland sometimes.

Scotland is the home of all that is awesome in the world. You should want to live here.

And yes, this is another long term GV lurker decloaking in this thread

majander on
  • majandermajander Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, since I've gone to the trouble of unlurking, I might as well reply to the topic. I have two main comic reading "firsts".

When I was a kid I used to get the Eagle and the Action Force comics weekly, but the one I really remember as a kid was a Spiderman annual from 1980 or thereabouts. (This was the UK annual, a hardback that reprinted a few comics and as a kid were usually given as Christmas presents). It had 2 stories I remember - a Kraven the Hunter one (including a line I remember to this day "that Whump I just Whumped you with is the same kind of Whump that once staggered the Hulk. Get the message jungle man? *Kraven collapses*He got the message" - and a vulture one that featured Spidey with the flu losing his powers and the original Vulture dying in hospital while a criminal persuades him to hand over his wings and suit and becomes a new, younger vulture.

I lost contact with comics and returned to them in the nineties - a bad time for superhero comics, but a great time for other stuff. The standout comic of this return to comics was from the Sandman. Issue thirty five or thereabouts. It was a one shot tale, a bed time story told by a grandfather to his granddaughter about the old country. The story was full of magic and it became apparent over the course of it that the grandfather was a werewolf and a lot older than he looked. It was beautiful and magical and invoked echoes of every fairy tale I had ever read as a kid. It still feels magical rereading it now.

I gave up on comics altogether later on in the nineties - it was costing me a lot and so much of it was complete crap. I returned in the last couple of eyars or so and now buy trades of all the cool stuff I haven't read over the years. And a lot of that is all your fault GV.

I

majander on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    This was my first one. I didn't know who Spoiler was, I thought he was saving a space alien or something.

16-1.jpg

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited July 2010
    majander wrote: »
    When I was a kid I used to get the Eagle and the Action Force comics weekly, but the one I really remember as a kid was a Spiderman annual from 1980 or thereabouts. (This was the UK annual, a hardback that reprinted a few comics and as a kid were usually given as Christmas presents). It had 2 stories I remember - a Kraven the Hunter one (including a line I remember to this day "that Whump I just Whumped you with is the same kind of Whump that once staggered the Hulk. Get the message jungle man? *Kraven collapses*He got the message" - and a vulture one that featured Spidey with the flu losing his powers and the original Vulture dying in hospital while a criminal persuades him to hand over his wings and suit and becomes a new, younger vulture.

I remember that Spidey annual! Good times. The Eagle and Action Force get thumbs up from me as well, particularly 13th Floor, Doomlord and Combat Colin.

Wildcat on
  • quippleyquippley Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My very first purchased comic was Detective Comics 665, from August 1993:

665-1.jpg

Little did I know I was about to be plunged into the Knightfall saga! My first acquired comics came a little earlier, my dad gave me a stack of old Marvels his late brother owned. Mostly early Amazing Spider-man (none in really good condition, however). The one I remember reading was Amazing Spider-Man 27, where he had to buy a toy costume to replace his and it shrunk in water:

27-2.jpg

quippley on
  • Stand, Killer QueenStand, Killer Queen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Green Lantern: Rebirth #1, 4th printing.

Don't look at me that way. I had no idea my city even HAD a comic book store until then.

Stand, Killer Queen on
    sig.gif
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Don't look at me that way. I had no idea my city even HAD a comic book store until then.

Don't sweat it. I think, generally, comic book fans like to hear when new people come into the hobby with recent books. It starts to look dreary and dangerously stagnant when all the fans have been around for a while.

Lux on
    edited July 2010
    I also got the then-current issue of Batgirl that day. Don't know what it was that made me get it, but I fell hard for Cassandra Cain.

She was fucking adorable. She tries to speak English and read and act normal, living a new life in Bludhaven. All while being a butt-kicking vigilante at night.

Late to the party but I got into comics like I was born for it.

Stand, Killer Queen on
    sig.gif
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lux wrote: »

Don't sweat it. I think, generally, comic book fans like to hear when new people come into the hobby with recent books. It starts to look dreary and dangerously stagnant when all the fans have been around for a while.

I read comics sparingly as a kid, when I was around 5 years old my aunt bought me a toy of the Flash that came with a comic (which my dad still has 20 years later). Around 10 years old, my friend and I used to walk to the comic shop every Saturday and he would buy the comics with his allowance and I would read them when he was done. Then I was on hiatus for quite some time, I read an article on IGN almost a year ago that really got me interested again: http://comics.ign.com/articles/102/1026877p1.html I thought the artwork was really cool and the story ideas were interesting. I lurked the forums a bit and after some suggestions eBayed ASM American Son. Then ended up picking up all of BND from the beginning and read the whole thing. After more and more immersion in the forums I branched out and picked up a handful of new titles. I now own ~400 comics and happily go to my LCS every Wednesday to pick up more. You can see my stash: http://www.stashmycomics.com/html/publicview.asp?username=mikefleischner&viewswl=mystash

cardboard delusions on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    quippley wrote: »
    My very first purchased comic was Detective Comics 665, from August 1993:

665-1.jpg

That is some really ugly art. Robin looks like Frankenstein.

PolloDiablo on
    edited July 2010
    What is with those bat ears? Even for longstyle those are ridiculous. They look like they should be flopping over like Bat-Mite.

Stand, Killer Queen on
    sig.gif
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Hood #1 is really close to it but sadly I don't remember :(

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    What is with those bat ears? Even for longstyle those are ridiculous. They look like they should be flopping over like Bat-Mite.

Kelley Jones cares not for your human physics!
    lil-batman-AAAAAAAA.jpg

gothic-computer1.jpg

_--.jpg

this-is-awesome.jpg

cape.jpg

Wildcat on
  • quippleyquippley Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That is some really ugly art. Robin looks like Frankenstein.

In the 90's just about every Batman cover (or was it Detective Comics?) had Jones' distinct artwork. He liked to give his Batmans a brooding, over-the-top dark, feel (ie, Batman brutally beating a guy with a spike). Come to think of it, I'm shocked my mom let me walk into the house with this!

But with the rise of digital coloring, Jones' sort of lost his edge for a while:

37782-796-42368-1-batman_super.jpg

notice the heavy use of airbrushing. yuck.

nowadays, with there being such a versatility with Photoshop, his stuff has more of a subtle, retro feel, imo:

8927_144156962595_48930912595_2715796_393886_n.jpg

quippley on