As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tactics Ogre | LuCT remake with Matsuno [PSP] NA/EU Release Confirmed! | TGS Trailer!

• AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought the people who played this were saying this is what FFT wanted to be.

Since they share the same director...well FFT lifts a lot of elements from TO's plot. TO has more replay value in my humble opinion
    ...it's 4 different paths right? It's been a while.

A lot of elements barely even begins to cover it. Some main character are xeroxed right from one to the other.

With chocobos!

Aroduc on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Final Fantasy Tactics really could have benefited from multiple story paths. Watching those characters act like morons and not having a say in the matter was annoying.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Final Fantasy Tactics really could have benefited from multiple story paths. Watching those characters act like morons and not having a say in the matter was annoying.

Yeah coming from TO I really expected it to be in FFT as well.

Updated OP with screens and art.

Joule on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Which characters were lifted from TO?

Sheep on
    edited July 2010
    NA RELEASE CONFIRMED.

From john tv at Neogaf
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

THE TRUE VISION IS FINALLY REALIZED; SQUARE ENIX ANNOUNCES
    TACTICS OGRE: LET US CLING TOGETHER
    Dream Team of Developers Reunites to Bring the Beloved Strategy RPG to the PSP System

LOS ANGELES (July 21, 2010) – Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in North America, announced today the upcoming release of TACTICS OGRE™: Let Us Cling Together™, a PSP® (PlayStation® Portable) system reinvention of the strategy RPG. The timing of the release will be announced at a future date.

TACTICS OGRE is one of the most beloved strategy RPG titles of all time, with the game being the only one to place in the Japanese gaming magazine Weekly Famitsu’s “Top 20 games voted by readers” for 14 years running.

Having also worked on such hit titles as FINAL FANTASY TACTICS®, VAGRANT STORY® and FINAL FANTASY® XII, key members of the original TACTICS OGRE development team have reformed to deliver the ultimate version of this definitive strategy RPG experience. Hiroshi Minagawa (Director), Akihiko Yoshida (Character Design), Yasumi Matsuno (Game Design), Hitoshi Sakimoto and Masaharu Iwata (Composers) are pleased to return to TACTICS OGRE and to revitalize their masterpiece for a new format and era – created with the simple idea – “how TACTICS OGRE would be if it was developed and played now.”

TACTICS OGRE: Let Us Cling Together, is being reborn from the ground up, with reworked visuals and effects, a re-arranged soundtrack by the original composers, new character growth mechanics and a new Wheel of Fortune system that adds even more replay value to the game.

For more information about TACTICS OGRE please visit the official website at http://www.tacticsogregame.com.

Story:

Long ago,
    Power was everything.
    It was a time called Xytegenia,
    where metal, and evil that was enshrouded in darkness was in control.

Features:

• From the creators of FINAL FANTASY TACTICS, VAGRANT STORY and FINAL FANTASY XII. The original TACTICS OGRE development team reform to revitalize their iconic title.
    • Tactical, turn-based battles are brought to life with stunning graphics, sounds and animation.
    • New 3D maps that enhance the concept of height and improved battle engine, offering more compelling and realistic battles than ever before.
    • Uncover the truth in a gripping tale of intrigue, betrayal and heroism.
    • Near-endless customization and hundreds of abilities to choose from.
    • New characters not included in the original game
    • New Battle Skill ability, adds to the range of play beyond Magic and Special abilities
    • New graphics, music, gameplay and much more make this the definitive version of TACTICS OGRE.
    • New and improved visuals that create a TACTICS OGRE experience with more detail than ever before.
    • Re-arranged soundtrack from the original composers including 15 new compositions.

About Square Enix, Inc.
    Square Enix, Inc. is a U.S. based wholly-owned subsidiary of Square Enix Holdings Co., Ltd., a holding company leading Square Enix Group. Square Enix, Inc. publishes and distributes entertainment content under the Square Enix Group’s internationally renowned brands such as Square Enix, Eidos and Taito in the Americas. The Square Enix Group includes a global network of leading development studios located in North America, Europe and Japan. The Group boasts a valuable portfolio of intellectual property including: FINAL FANTASY, which has sold over 97 million units worldwide; DRAGON QUEST®, which has sold over 54 million units worldwide; TOMB RAIDER®, which has sold over 35 million units worldwide; and other well-established products and services.

More information on Square Enix, Inc. can be found at http://www.square-enix.com.

DRAGON QUEST, FINAL FANTASY, FINAL FANTASY TACTICS, SQUARE ENIX and the SQUARE ENIX logo are registered trademarks of Square Enix Holdings Co., Ltd. in the United States and/or other countries. TACTICS OGRE and VAGRANT STORY are registered trademarks or trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd. Eidos and Tomb Raider are registered trademarks of Square Enix, Ltd. Taito is a registered trademark of Taito Corp. “PlayStation” and “PSP” are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

###

Tactics Ogre: Game of Miracles.

Joule on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fantastic. Squeenix don't waste time.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That has to be the fastest "Japanese announcement, NA release confirmed" in a while.

Gilder on
    edited July 2010
    Good show.

I'm going out on a limb by guessing that the new Battle Skills will just be a expanded version of Knight of Lodis's character achievement things. People love that stuff.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    edited July 2010
    ogre24.jpgogre23.jpgogre22.jpgogre21.jpg

The uncompressed screens look really good.

I think I've updated the thread like 8 times today. Jeez. <3

Joule on
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can I say that I still hate this dumb subtitle? "Let us cling together"

Cling is such a dumb word.

blaze_zero on
    edited July 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Can I say that I still hate this dumb subtitle? "Let us cling together"

Cling is such a dumb word.

It's a song from Queen. All Ogre Battle games must be named after their songs.

Cling isn't dumb blaze : (

Joule on
    edited July 2010
    I don't care. Queen is awesome, but it's still a dumb title.

blaze_zero on
    edited July 2010
    Don't worry, the subtitle has been changed to the more generic and boring Wheel of Fate.

Page- on
    stream
    edited July 2010
    Don't worry, the subtitle has been changed to the more generic and boring Wheel of Fate.

Actually the press release above says TACTICS OGRE™: Let Us Cling Together™ so unless it changes later on it'll be LUCT for the NA release.

Joule on
    edited July 2010
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Hug in the Shade

blaze_zero on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tactics Ogre: Go Find your PSP

Shit, where's the charger?

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looking at the VC on my PAL wii. There is "March of the Black Queen" and Ogre Battle 64 available.

Are both of these worth getting? Why isn't LUCT on there.

Lenore03 on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2010
    Lenore03 wrote: »
    Looking at the VC on my PAL wii. There is "March of the Black Queen" and Ogre Battle 64 available.

Because the English localization was done for the PSX port. I don't think Sony would be thrilled by that.

And they're both awesome games. Probably worth looking over an FAQ just to understand the alignment and charisma mechanics better. Also, MotBQ has a few kind of inane things (like a normal hidden item is the key to starting onto the Good Ending path), but they're fun. OB64 has a lot more flash and pizazz, but is generally a lot easier.

Aroduc on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am always up for more SRPG goodness. Always. Although I didn't get much out of the original, so I'm hoping the tweaks are significant.
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Tactics Ogre: Go Find your PSP

Shit, where's the charger?

Pfff, all the gentlemen with PSPs are playing Peacewalker.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lenore03 wrote: »

It should be said that these aren't srpg games like Tactics Ogre/FFT, though - but well worth playing all the same.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In those four screens, is it just my imagination, or are the battlefield graphics in the top 2 far more crisp than the bottom two? The bottom 2 look just like the SNES/PSX version to me (beside the obvious enhanced character portraits

Vincent Grayson on
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have nothing to add except I think the concept of this is awesome. If they did the same thing with Final Fantasy Tactics and put it on the PS3, I would be about the happiest person that ever lived.

As it is, it's things like this that make me consider purchasing a PSP. But I just don't need another piece of hardware.

Michael H on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Michael H wrote: »
    I have nothing to add except I think the concept of this is awesome. If they did the same thing with Final Fantasy Tactics and put it on the PS3, I would be about the happiest person that ever lived.

As it is, it's things like this that make me consider purchasing a PSP. But I just don't need another piece of hardware.

Technically it is already on the PS3 (PSN Store...). I'd rather they work on a proper FFT sequel. No offense to FFTA fans (I own both titles and love the 2nd one) but I hope they eventually work out something in that Ivalice. Just keep the themes going, I don't have to know what happened with Delita's kids or something.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    well fuck, guess i'm buying a psp

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited July 2010
  • SchwhatSchwhat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    I want this really really badly.

But not badly enough to buy a PSP. God dammit Square, quit putting this awesome shit on the handheld nobody buys. :(

QFT. I was crying when they put DQ9 on DS... FU Lvl 5 for cranking out crap like White Knight Chronicles instead of a DQ game for the PS360s.

Wait, someone said the old tactics won't work on this new game? So recruiting the medusa monster from the 99 lvl dungeon and cheesing the rest of the game by allowing the medusa monster to literally stare petrify all the monsters won't work anymore?

What about the spell to change one of your members into a sword making the one who wields it OP?

And did any of you who played the game actually get the blind swordsman on the first try? That guy had the worst suicide complex for me. It pretty much played out like:

Cut scene with the dual wielding blind swordsman running away from the enemy. Then my team walks onto the map and my char says "We've come to save you!"

Dual wielding blind swordsman, says "Haha, I got Schwhat as my back up now you b-t-hes. I can take you all on at once!"

5 moves later he's running towards the enemy and then promptly gangbanged from all sides before I can make it to him.

Schwhat on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2010
    Schwhat wrote: »
    Wait, someone said the old tactics won't work on this new game? So recruiting the medusa monster from the 99 lvl dungeon and cheesing the rest of the game by allowing the medusa monster to literally stare petrify all the monsters won't work anymore?

What about the spell to change one of your members into a sword making the one who wields it OP?

Those would be the hard/tedious ways to break the game. There are so many much better solutions.

Aroduc on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

But not badly enough to buy a PSP. God dammit Square, quit putting this awesome shit on the handheld nobody buys. :(

QFT. I was crying when they put DQ9 on DS... FU Lvl 5 for cranking out crap like White Knight Chronicles instead of a DQ game for the PS360s.

Uh that was Horii's decision, not Level-5's. And Horii always puts Dragon Quest on the best selling system of the gen. Which is why IX is on the DS and X on the wii.

And you're missing out on one hell of a game with DQIX just because its on a handheld.

Zerokku on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm tempted to try to find a cheap PSP (an oxymoron I know) this Christmas for this, FFT, and the Star Ocean ports.

It'll be like 1999 all over again. 8-)

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited July 2010
    And did any of you who played the game actually get the blind swordsman on the first try? That guy had the worst suicide complex for me. It pretty much played out like:

Cut scene with the dual wielding blind swordsman running away from the enemy. Then my team walks onto the map and my char says "We've come to save you!"

Dual wielding blind swordsman, says "Haha, I got Schwhat as my back up now you b-t-hes. I can take you all on at once!"

5 moves later he's running towards the enemy and then promptly gangbanged from all sides before I can make it to him.

Haborym is really good if you get him. He can be fairly suicidal in every route. One of my strategies sometimes was to use my archers to reduce his HP enough so his AI will tell him to run away and then I heal him once he does.

As for those strategies well, you could just pack a group of archers and call it a day.
    I'm tempted to try to find a cheap PSP (an oxymoron I know) this Christmas for this, FFT, and the Star Ocean ports.

PSP 3000's aren't really that expensive. More so if you get it used.

Joule on
  • SchwhatSchwhat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zerokku wrote: »

Uh that was Horii's decision, not Level-5's. And Horii always puts Dragon Quest on the best selling system of the gen. Which is why IX is on the DS and X on the wii.

And you're missing out on one hell of a game with DQIX just because its on a handheld.

Yeah, I'm hearing that a lot with DQIX. I am hoping to distract myself with SC2 to ease my pain. I do have a DS lite, but early on in my ownership, I decided to play games just before I slept.

I ended up sleeping on top of it one time (I closed it shut though). It seems it must have damaged the wires leading up to the top screen, now all it gets on the top screen is a white garbled screen. I don't want to buy another DS (especially with the 3DS on the way - still skeptical on the 3DS until I see hardware specs).

I hate to see DQX on the Wii, it's so wasted. I thought they would learn their lesson since the last DQ game on the Wii bombed so badly.

I figured they learned the lesson that serious(for hardcore) games (except Nintendo ones) usually don't sell well on the Wii. Anything that's not a party game for the Wii doesn't do so well.

Schwhat on
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

By next year they'll be giving them away (The 3DS will be out and the PSP2 should be announced by then) so I would wait.
    I hate to see DQX on the Wii, it's so wasted. I thought they would learn their lesson since the last DQ game on the Wii bombed so badly.

I figured they learned the lesson that serious(for hardcore) games (except Nintendo ones) usually don't sell well on the Wii. Anything that's not a party game for the Wii doesn't do so well.

Considering Monster Hunter Tri sold nearly double what any PS3 game in Japan did in 2009 (with the exception of FFXIII) and DQ gets the vast majority of its sales in Japan, I don't see how you can make that statement.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
    edited July 2010
    Aroduc wrote: »

Those would be the hard/tedious ways to break the game. There are so many much better solutions.

By the time you've broken the game that badly you could have beaten it anyway. Saying old tactics won't work anymore means more than just removing the lich->reflesh bug.

I'm hoping it's more of a general promise for balance. By buffing the terrible classes, making heavy armour worthwhile, making melee, and swords in particular, useful in the early game, buffing status magic, and cleaning up easily exploitable AI. I'd be all for them make the game generally easier, as long as they add a hard mode as well.

Page- on
    stream
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    throw rock

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd be weary of used PSPs...that analog nub can't take a beating.

Also, I often forget how amazed I was when I saw Squires throw rocks in FFT.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I beat a minmaxed Ramza on FFT multiplayer with that

He used either ignore elevation or teleport to get up to a 25 or so peak

I threw a rock which knocked him back one square

he died from fall damage

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    edited July 2010
    Throwing rocks is rarely worth the effort early on. If you want to actually hurt someone and you're too far away, throwing instead of just waiting will delay your next action by a huge amount.

But it's still funny.

Page- on
    stream
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zerokku wrote: »

Yeah, I'm hearing that a lot with DQIX. I am hoping to distract myself with SC2 to ease my pain. I do have a DS lite, but early on in my ownership, I decided to play games just before I slept.

I ended up sleeping on top of it one time (I closed it shut though). It seems it must have damaged the wires leading up to the top screen, now all it gets on the top screen is a white garbled screen. I don't want to buy another DS (especially with the 3DS on the way - still skeptical on the 3DS until I see hardware specs).

Also the last DQ game on the Wii was a spinoff and still did around one million units worldwide.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited July 2010
    Throwing rocks is rarely worth the effort early on. If you want to actually hurt someone and you're too far away, throwing instead of just waiting will delay your next action by a huge amount.

But it's still funny.

It's useful to milk enemy leaders (or otherwise higher level enemies) for exp when you obviously have the battle won. Takes some time but the gains can be worth it.

Joule on
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Joule wrote: »

But it's still funny.

It's useful to milk enemy leaders (or otherwise higher level enemies) for exp when you obviously have the battle won. Takes some time but the gains can be worth it.

That's what a Monk in the middle of a cross formation is for. XP griiiiiind

Michael H on