As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tactics Ogre | LuCT remake with Matsuno [PSP] NA/EU Release Confirmed! | TGS Trailer!

• AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2010
    Pfft. If you ever need to grind in LUCT, then you're not abusing Training enough.

Aroduc on
  • SchwhatSchwhat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also the last DQ game on the Wii was a spinoff and still did around one million units worldwide.

1 million units worldwide? What was the percentage/stats on that? Did you mean 850k+ units in Japan 150k or less from the rest of the world?

Like Rakai said, Japan is DQ crazy. I can easily see fan impulse buys rather than an normal buy bringing up the 1 million sales.
    Rakai wrote: »
    Considering Monster Hunter Tri sold nearly double what any PS3 game in Japan did in 2009 (with the exception of FFXIII) and DQ gets the vast majority of its sales in Japan, I don't see how you can make that statement.

Isn't MH a popular franchise in Japan too? I didn't recall there being a popular franchise game in 2009 for the PS3 besides FXIII. Were there any?

I do agree with you and understand why the Wii, but now I don't understand why bother with translate DQ X for a minority (outside world). Isn't time and effort better spent on a project that caters to the majority of the outside world than having that outside team concentrate on translating/QA/PR

Schwhat on
  • JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Schwhat wrote: »
    Also the last DQ game on the Wii was a spinoff and still did around one million units worldwide.

1 million units worldwide? What was the percentage/stats on that? Did you mean 850k+ units in Japan 150k or less from the rest of the world?

Like Rakai said, Japan is DQ crazy. I can easily see fan impulse buys rather than an normal buy bringing up the 1 million sales.

According to the last time DQ Swords was tracked on Famitsu it was around 480k. So the rest of the sales came from outside Japan probably.
    Michael H wrote: »
    Joule wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    Throwing rocks is rarely worth the effort early on. If you want to actually hurt someone and you're too far away, throwing instead of just waiting will delay your next action by a huge amount.

But it's still funny.

It's useful to milk enemy leaders (or otherwise higher level enemies) for exp when you obviously have the battle won. Takes some time but the gains can be worth it.

That's what a Monk in the middle of a cross formation is for. XP griiiiiind

Was referring to throwing rocks in TO though yes I should clarified since both games have the ability.

Joule on
  • SchwhatSchwhat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Joule wrote: »
    According to the last time DQ Swords was tracked on Famitsu it was around 480k. So the rest of the sales came from outside Japan probably.

Yeah, I got curious about how it got 1 million sales that Xeno said they got, so I decided to snoop around on the net for info. I must have did a shitty job, because all I got was the same info you got. Anyone have a better link to the Europe and Asia info?

Wiki site quoting Famitsu says 486,222 for Japan and 100k for North America. For the life of me, I could not find Europe and Asia numbers as it says N/A. It makes me skeptical that "1 million number units sold" was pulled out of thin air. It's beginning to seem more like under 700k, where almost 500k is from Japan and the rest was from people around the world getting suckered in "OMG-finally-a-RPG-for-Wii".

Also, I'd like to add, when they make numbers that round (like 100k straight up) my brain says it's PR padding the number up. Maybe 80-90k.

But neverthless, we are getting off topic. Additional suggestion for Tactics Orge is to remove the random stat cards you get from killing enemies; and like someone said before abusing training.

Schwhat on
    edited July 2010
    Schwhat wrote: »
    But neverthless, we are getting off topic. Additional suggestion for Tactics Orge is to remove the random stat cards you get from killing enemies; and like someone said before abusing training.

What is the problem with the stat cards? I don't think they give the player that much advantage.

Joule on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Anyone know what are the differences between the PS1 and SuFami releases? Any major bugfixes?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The PS1 version is a direct port, the only difference is that it's in English. And supposedly the sound. I know some of the sound effects are different, but I've never listened to any of the music, so I wouldn't even be able to tell if I watched some SNES youtubes or something.

Also, stat cards are fine. A +1 or +3 here and there doesn't make or break anything, and most of the time you want item drops anyway.

They could remove training, but really it's a pain to abuse it. Well, it might be easier on a handheld, since you could put it down and make a sandwich while you wait. But you don't really need to do it, especially if they make getting new characters easier.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In KoL I'd routinely set up training before going to sleep.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited July 2010
    The games aren't that hard. Especially Knight of Lodis. I don't get itttttt.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    edited July 2010
    http://www.tacticsogregame.com/

Official site NA/EU is up but there's not much in it yet.

Joule on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

In SRPGs the vast majority of difficulty comes from the very beginning. Especially if permadeath is a factor.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh god, Tactics Ogre. I play Black March and KoL so damned much; I literally loved those games.

I might actually have to buy a PSP for this.

Carnarvon on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2010

In SRPGs the vast majority of difficulty comes from the very beginning. Especially if permadeath is a factor.

As mentioned before, a lot of the difficulty comes from the high damage characters do, especially archers. If three enemies get a turn in a row (which is HIGHLY likely), then a unit can go from full HP to dead in one turn. And then permadeath and... yeah. The random battles where it's just 10 enemies literally lined up in a row on a flat field were the most dangerous in that respect. At least archers on castletops couldn't gang up on you like that.

Aroduc on
    edited July 2010
    Alexander O. Smith is officially the translator!!!!!

" Kajiya Productions: In an unprecedented move, Square-Enix has given us the go-ahead to announce we're on the translation of the new Tactics Ogre reboot on the PSP. They've even got a (mostly placeholder) website started for the English version here: http://na.tacticsogregame.com/ Check it!"

It's like everything is going right for this game. Could SE really be trying to reestablish the series?!

For those who aren't familiar Alexander O. Smith was the translator for FFT, Vagrant Story and FFXII.

Joule on
    edited July 2010
    I hope he can keep the overly fruity "period" language to a minimum this time.

Page- on
    stream
    edited July 2010
    I hope he can keep the overly fruity "period" language to a minimum this time.

I thought it was fine in the those titles. War of the Lions though was a bit much but it wasn't him that time.

Joule on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If Tactics Ogre isn't Pseudo-England then it may be safe from "thous" and "sers"

Wearingglasses on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If Smith can keep it on about the level of Vagrant Story I think we'll be fine.

But then again, I kind of enjoyed the uber-purple prose that was in FFT's remake and FFXII. It felt like it turned everyone into a scenery-chewing Shakespearean actor, which is always fun. It's like channeling a little Brian Blessed into every character.

But just a little, otherwise the game would explode.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited July 2010
    I would hardly compare it to Shakespeare.

Brian Blessed could be more accurate. But he's a comedian.

Page- on
    stream
    edited July 2010
    "Classically-trained stage actor" is less wieldy phrasing than simply saying "Shakespearean." I'm certainly not comparing the dialogue or writing to Shakespeare.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited July 2010
    I prefer "hamfisted attempts at weight and pomposity."

But Tactics Ogre had a very reasonable translation, so I hope they keep to that spirit.

Page- on
    stream
    edited July 2010
    I find hamfisted attempts at weight and pomposity entertaining, so I'm good either way.

But yeah, Tactics Ogre did have a pretty decent translation.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    I enjoyed the English localization but... Aloser?

Really? You named a recruitable party member in your localization "Aloser?"

God I felt so bad for her, with that awful name and her actual, legitimate gripes about her family being mass-murdered.

Her family that apparently named her "Aloser." Poor kid.

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
    edited July 2010
    Teaser trailer from the official site. Not much in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMDk5Ynggm8

Joule on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I was drooling over screenshots of the new portraits and interface, and I stumbled upon this,
    towof36.jpg

It seems to be a multiplayer map, and I hope it's not just them playing with a debug version of the game, but...
    Both sides seem to have Lans Hamilton, and one side also has Lans Tartare, while the other side has Warren.

Also I suspect the girl standing above the Octopus is the new girl depicted in the art, looking remarkably like Agrias.

Maddoc on
    edited July 2010
    There's also 2 versions of Kachua, the original and the bad.

The third bar is also suspicious. Health, mana, and T? Can't be experience, since that's measured in 100s and also called exp.

Page- on
    stream
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I imagine it could have something to do with one of two things.

One, it could play into the addition of "skills" to some classes that was mentioned very briefly in the Famitsu interview.

Two, it could play some role in the "Wheel of Fate" moniker, which evidently will actually be a facet of the gameplay, and was mentioned in regards to alleviating the often crippling difficulty of the original.

Some bits and pieces of information from the interview can be found here,
    http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/07/22/tactics_ogre_psp_remake_detailed/

EDIT: Ah, that was already posted, oops!

EDIT2: I'm calling it now, Tactic Points, for use with skills.

Maddoc on
    edited August 2010
    Tons of new screenshots:
    ogre29.jpgogre28.jpgogre27.jpgogre26.jpg

More at http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20100813_386779.html

The character art for some of the units including the new Rouge class have been unveiled. They're all looking very hot. The new UI looks neat! And that new deployment screen <3

Joule on
  • ArcusArcus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ugh... I hope someday I actually bother to buy a PSP and collect all these cool games/remakes I've been missing out on. I've always loved the Ogre Battle playstyle, has there been a remake of the SNES on any system?

Arcus on
    edited August 2010
    Well, there was an Ogre Battle port for PS1, no idea if it's on PSN or anything, and then there's always Ogre Battle 64.

Though it ought to be noted that "Ogre Battle gameplay" and "Tactics Ogre gameplay" are pretty vastly different. With Ogre Battle being RTS-ish, and Tactics being grid-based in the vein of FFT.

Maddoc on
    edited August 2010
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Well, there was an Ogre Battle port for PS1, no idea if it's on PSN or anything, and then there's always Ogre Battle 64.

Though it ought to be noted that "Ogre Battle gameplay" and "Tactics Ogre gameplay" are pretty vastly different. With Ogre Battle being RTS-ish, and Tactics being grid-based in the vein of FFT.

There's also the Saturn port which was pretty good I heard but never left Japan. There have been no remakes of March of The Black Queen.

Joule on
  • ArcusArcus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hmm, thanks for the info guys. There was something charming about the SNES one that I loved. I enjoyed the 64 one, but those 2D sprites and that epic art always brought a smile to my face. At least theres always VC.

Arcus on
    edited August 2010
    Those screenshots are revealing.

New stats for the characters, totally new equipment system, new WT calculations.

Three rows for deployment is beast. Will go a long way toward making come missions more tolerable.

Page- on
    stream
    edited August 2010
    Bah how come no one pointed out that I posted two of the same screenshot? Edited.

Also it seems that undead reviving mechanics have changed or are just visually represented differently base on this screenshot:
    ogre30.jpg

It could be that undead now revive in three turns or it's a general counter of when they'll revive (ie WT becomes 0). We'll have to see how that works out.
    Also we get to see some of the Rouge's skill list. It can steal, put traps and sneak attack from what's written. Maddoc's so called Tactics Points are pretty apt.

Joule on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2010
    ogre28.jpg

Heh. There's that "enemy gets 9 moves in a row thing" that leads to broken controllers. That doesn't even seem to include the golems either, who will also probably SWARM.

Aroduc on
    edited August 2010
    Ugh. Steal. I'd really hoped they'd keep that out.

Though I guess it's better than having to persuade enemies who didn't drop their gear. If they just made it so they all drop their gear then neither would be a problem, unless they plan on adding a lot of new items.

Page- on
    stream
    edited August 2010
    Aroduc wrote: »

Heh. There's that "enemy gets 9 moves in a row thing" that leads to broken controllers. That doesn't even seem to include the golems either, who will also probably SWARM.

You better be packing Quick and Slow Down. I'm hoping some classes can do some turn manipulation with their skills.

Joule on
    edited August 2010
    Looks like the release of the Japanese version of the game will be 11/11/2010. Hopefully we get a lock on the other regions soon.

Also their preorder edition gets a snazzy 22 tarot card deck.
    2iw9b21.jpg
    I hope there's a similar bonus for other regions as I quite liked the tarot cards designs in the games.

Joule on
    edited September 2010
    We've got some details about the new Wheel of Fortune systems
    Wheel of Fortune W.O.R.L.D.

After certain conditions are met, branches in the plot will have anchor points on the Warren Report, allowing the player to use the tarot card The World to return to the past to attempt other routes. Certain things will carry over when using this system, so it sounds a bit like the SOL system in BoF5.

Wheel of Fortune C.H.A.R.I.O.T.

This system allows the player to use a Chariot card to revert to any specific previous point in a battle to correct a mistake made. While there is no gameplay penalty for using this system, the Warren Report does keep a record of how many battles you have won without using it.

Misc

Instead of taking questions from gods like in the original TO, in this version you answer questions related to the meaning of certain tarot cards.

duckroll's original post

The original source at Game Watch Impress also has tons of new screens, character bios and such things.

The Chariot system should be a fine addition as long as those cards aren't too easily collected. World system should make it pretty easy to try out those missed routes.

Going to miss the Goddess questions in the beginning but a tarot one is fine too.

Joule on
    edited September 2010
    Goddess questions didn't really do anything, though. At least not for stats. They could change the elements of some of the characters, but that's about it.

Chariot cards could be good, but yes, they should be in short supply.

The branching story, though? There were only 3 main story branches and they all started and ended the same. Almost all the other stuff depended on characters living or dying, or the Warren report. Unless they're planning on rewriting a lot of things and expanding the story -- and the game was on the short side -- then I don't really see the need.

Page- on
    stream