As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] : Are you in the Alpha/Beta? Cause I'm not :(

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    When you're making a MMO you have to decide between making your game look good to appeal to a certain demographic, and making it run on 5+ year old computers to appeal to a certain demographic. Frankly, people that can't afford to upgrade their computers every 5 years probably cant' afford to pay a subscription consistently either, so I wouldn't be gunning for them either.

Oh come on, how can you possibly say that with a straight face? I'm sure there are TONS of people pay for WoW subscriptions who are running on nothing much better than a netbook!
    I have two friends that aren't going to be able to play FFXIV or SWTOR because they have no money and shitty computers. It sucks for them, but that's life.

It doesn't suck for them at all, they can play WoW instead. It sucks for Square and perhaps Bioware, though, 'cause they get less money.
    Also, whoever said SW:TOR looks shitty compared to FFXIV needs to rethink that. I've seen the game in action in beta, and it looks wonderful. Yes it has a different art style, but it's still going to take a good machine to run the game, because there is a lot of environmental shit going on. It's not comparable to WoW in any way. Bioware didn't go with that art style to skimp on polygons like WoW, they went with it because 'realistic' graphics in MMOs almost always turn out to be ridiculous looking. See Vanguard.

I haven't played, but I've seen videos, and I'm willing to bet the "recommended" system specs for SW aren't going to be anywhere near as steep as for FFXIV. Not as low as WoW, perhaps, but a lot more forgiving than FFXIV at this moment.

Look I'm sorry, but anyone who says that making your product accessible to as large an audience as possible has no impact on its success is simply not paying attention.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ran the bench on high yesterday.

My system specs:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz
    4 gigs DDR2 RAM
    NVIDIA GTX 280, 1.024 gigs

On high I got a 2309 benchmark. Not really sure what that means about the machine's ability to run FFXIV well.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It doesn't suck for them at all, they can play WoW instead. It sucks for Square and perhaps Bioware, though, 'cause they get less money.

Look I'm sorry, but anyone who says that making your product accessible to as large an audience as possible has no impact on its success is simply not paying attention.

No, it does suck for them, because they want to play FF14 and TOR and not WoW and they're not going to get to because they have no money. As I said though, that's life, and one of them does have a PS3 so he can just play on there I guess.

Nobody is saying making the game accessible is not a good thing. The point is if you design your game so 5+ year old PCs can run it, the first reviews are just going to start with "This game looks like shit." New games require better computers than old games, this is not a new concept. When I was 14 years old I worked at a restaurant as a dishwasher to pay for a video card for my parents computer so I could play this new Everquest game that was going to come out. =P

$500, which is a reasonable amount to expect most people to have to spend to upgrade to a FF14 capable PC, amounts to saving 27 cents per day for 5 years.

Seriously, do this many adults really not have any savings, or have such little discretionary income that they can't fathom having to upgrade their computer to play a brand new game?

Joshmvii on
  • simsim Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ran the bench on high yesterday.

My system specs:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz
    4 gigs DDR2 RAM
    NVIDIA GTX 280, 1.024 gigs

On high I got a 2309 benchmark. Not really sure what that means about the machine's ability to run FFXIV well.
    [8000 and over] Extremely High Performance
    Easily capable of running the game on the highest settings.
    [5500–7999] Very High Performance
    Easily capable of running the game. Should perform exceptionally well, even at higher resolutions.
    [4500-5499] High Performance
    Easily capable of running the game. Should perform well, even at higher resolutions.
    [3000-4499] Fairly High Performance
    Capable of running the game on default settings. Consider switching to a higher resolution depending on performance.
    [2500-2999] Standard Performance
    Capable of running the game on default settings.
    [2000-2499] Slightly Low Performance
    Capable of running the game, but may experience some slowdown. Adjust settings to improve performance.
    [1500-1999] Low Performance
    Capable of running the game, but will experience considerable slowdown. Adjusting settings is unlikely to improve performance.
    [Under 1500] Insufficient Performance
    Does not meet specifications for running the game.

I have a very similar system (with 3ghz core2 and an 8800GTX) and landed in the same category.

sim on
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nobody is saying making the game accessible is not a good thing. The point is if you design your game so 5+ year old PCs can run it, the first reviews are just going to start with "This game looks like shit." New games require better computers than old games, this is not a new concept. When I was 14 years old I worked at a restaurant as a dishwasher to pay for a video card for my parents computer so I could play this new Everquest game that was going to come out. =P

People say that about WoW, but as far as I know the game is still incredibly popular. Shitty graphics does not make a shitty game.
    Seriously, do this many adults really not have any savings, or have such little discretionary income that they can't fathom having to upgrade their computer to play a brand new game?

You have heard that there is a recession going on, right? Most people--especially people still dependent on their parents--will not have much discretionary income.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    edited July 2010

You're missing the point.

The point is, if anyone out there is on the fence about purchasing FFXIV, having to spend $500 on upgrades that they wouldn't have to spend otherwise is not a point in FFXIV's favor.

The question you have to ask yourself is: Is Squeenix hoping to compete with Blizzard? If so, why should anyone buy FFXIV instead of WoW?

If Squeenix's market for FFXIV is only the 100 000 or so (I don't know the actual number) hardcore Final Fantasy XI enthusiast who still play in Vana Diel AND has an up-to-date system and is looking to take better advantage of it, then fine, those people will buy this game. But if Squeenix hopes to compete with WoW, I don't see this game as having much of a chance, as much as that saddens me, because I think they otherwise have a pretty good thing going here.

Romantic Undead on
    edited July 2010
    http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2010/07/22/the-18-disciplines-of-final-fantasy-xiv/

I have 61 days to decide which class+craft I'm going to devote myself. Every MMO I swear that I'm going to stick to one thing, and every MMO I fail.

sim on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, that's a helluva thing. I'm probably going to end up levelling Gladiator, Thamaturge, Summoner, Lancer, Archer, and Pugilist to achieve the approximations of my favorite FFXI classes, WHM, BRD, PLD, RDM

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    FFXIV has zero chance to compete with WoW. It just won't happen. WoW basically multiplied the success of the previously most successful MMO by about 20 times. WoW is basically Diablo with MMO crack mixed in, and thus it has become this cultural phenomenon.

FFXIV does not have to compete with it. You don't even have to break 200k subscribers to keep an MMO successful long term. The fact is, this is not a case of FFXIV needing a brand new PC to run. It just won't run on a toaster. If the game is good it's not going to matter that a few poor people didn't get to play it because they couldn't afford a PC upgrade or a PS3. If you're 'on the fence' about playing FFXIV then you are obviously somebody who plays games, and as I mentioned before, if you can't afford $300 for a PS3 or $500 to upgrade your PC, you're not a particularly attractive customer to a company that is going to ask you to pay $150+ a year to play their game.

Joshmvii on
    edited July 2010
    Bad memories of mithra thf...vs...good memories of nin. Pugalist has me very conflicted.
    pugilist2.jpg

sim on
  • jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I built my computer with second-line parts about 1.5 years ago:

Windows 7 x64
    E8400 (2x3GHz, 6MB cache)
    4G DDR2-1066 5-5-5-18
    GeForce 8800GT 512MB, Overclocked
    2x 7200RPM in RAID0

Made it in the 3000-3500 range. Not sure how I'm scoring higher than similar setups. And I just costed the major components for a better one for less than $500. That's CPU, MB, memory, GPU.

jdmichal on
    XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
    edited July 2010
    jdmichal wrote: »
    I built my computer with second-line parts about 1.5 years ago:

Windows 7 x64
    E8400 (2x3GHz, 6MB cache)
    4G DDR2-1066 5-5-5-18
    GeForce 8800GT 512MB, Overclocked
    2x 7200RPM in RAID0

Made it in the 3000-3500 range. Not sure how I'm scoring higher than similar setups. And I just costed the major components for a better one for less than $500. That's CPU, MB, memory, GPU.

I am curious why your rig would be significantly outperforming mine, considering they're pretty similar and my video card has twice the RAM (not sure about the overall performance of my card relative to yours, though).

Grundlestiltskin on
  • jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am curious why your rig would be significantly outperforming mine, considering they're pretty similar and my video card has twice the RAM (not sure about the overall performance of my card relative to yours, though).

It probably has something to do with mine being clocked at 720MHz. Assuming yours isn't overclocked, it's at 600MHz.

The RAID0 might not be insignificant either. I've got the Intel RAID drivers, and I'm sure they're good enough to split reads across the two drives.

The memory only matters if the data doesn't fit. It's not like adding more magically makes it faster.

jdmichal on
    XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
  • draw4wilddraw4wild Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was playing the beta with a benchmark score in the 700s and although in the fields I was able to play, anywhere near a town or crystal meant I got like 1 frame every 5 seconds. My specs are pretty much athlonx2, 2gb ram, xp, and a ati hd2600 so at or below min specs.

I was looking for a bandaid fix just to be able to play until the ps3 version comes out so I wound up picking up a 5670 from bestbuy for $90. My benchmark score rose to between 1700 and 1750, but I have to wait for the next test window to really test it out. I haven't bought a new computer in about 4 years though so if $90 is all I have to spend to get the game playable, I don't really see why people are saying you need a top of the line pc to play it.

draw4wild on
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    draw4wild wrote: »
    I was playing the beta with a benchmark score in the 700s and although in the fields I was able to play, anywhere near a town or crystal meant I got like 1 frame every 5 seconds. My specs are pretty much athlonx2, 2gb ram, xp, and a ati hd2600 so at or below min specs.

I was looking for a bandaid fix just to be able to play until the ps3 version comes out so I wound up picking up a 5670 from bestbuy for $90. My benchmark score rose to between 1700 and 1750, but I have to wait for the next test window to really test it out. I haven't bought a new computer in about 4 years though so if $90 is all I have to spend to get the game playable, I don't really see why people are saying you need a top of the line pc to play it.

Because exaggerated claims make them feel vindicated.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Heh - I just ran the benchmark program on low on the very computer from which I submitted my test data, and got a score of 271. I'm pretty sure that's not very good.

It's only a little over a year old too.

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
    edited July 2010
    I ran through the whole benchmark on high and ended up with like 1900

is that good

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • OtakingOtaking Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This game doesn't have enough departure from bog-standard MMO gameplay that's already been done to death to justify upgrading for. I can easily afford it, but I don't like wasting money just to frustrate myself.

I only barely tried 11 but I've played almost everything else.

Otaking on
    edited July 2010
    Otaking wrote: »
    This game doesn't have enough departure from bog-standard MMO gameplay that's already been done to death to justify upgrading for. I can easily afford it, but I don't like wasting money just to frustrate myself.

I only barely tried 11 but I've played almost everything else.

Hello Kitty Island Adventure?

Grundlestiltskin on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ran the benchmark at both High and Low settings.

On High, I got a little over 2500

On Low, I got a little over 4500

I'm thinking maybe I can run this game if I want to play it.

Renzo on
  • SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gotta love it when a company states that they've fixed server congestion and load, only to start another beta and its STILL suffering from 13001.

Woo.

Sigtyr on
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    so do we have a server picked where fellow pa beta testers are playing on?

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    I am getting error zero. Just timing out all over the place.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    An hour and a half and I haven't gotten past character creation YET AGAIN!

Less than 60 days until retail, and the game is quite literally unplayable.

Screw this noise, I'll see you duders when this heap goes live.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just found out that my girlfriend was accepted in the beta too. Neither of us can run this game.

I have been thinking about building a new computer but I might pass on this game at release.

Noxy on
  • SaphierSaphier Aka Errant Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I got a 3000 score with everything maxed (including catalyst settings), 4000 on low settings with everything minimal. I can play! Too bad no beta invites for me. /waits impatiently for release.

I was pretty sold on archer, but that pugilist picture has me torn... I'm easily swayed by impressive aesthetics.

Saphier on
  • WhoAreYouWhoAreYou Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Its probably much better to play when the PS3 releases. (Even on the pc). Seems like a heap o' fail.

WhoAreYou on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    so i did the ffxi benchmark test and scored over 9000 for high setting, i am guessing i am good for this mmo?

by the way people were talking i thought my rig would underperform by shitton D:

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Stryker43Stryker43 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You might want to use the FFXIV benchmark... http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/media/benchmark/na/

Stryker43 on
    camo_sig2.png
    XBL/PSN/Origin/NNID: StrykerFL GuildWars/GW2: Anton Firemaker FFRK: erNA
  • markRAWRmarkRAWR Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    So i got accepted to beta and i am not sure if this issuehas been touched on but hey.
    I registered for the beta at JE in france at the square booth, and not long after i returned home i got an email stating i was accepted to ty the beta. Now in the email which was french the one language i can't understand a word of it said i had to wait for an email with details on how to log in. With this i said screw that and created my own Square ID with the email registered. Now the issue is when i try to get on any beta tester site it says my account is not registered which i find annoying and strange. I didn't have an account to begin with so has anybody had this problem and solved it?
    I btw have phoned the Japanese, American and European support centres only to get 0 help. Thank you.

markRAWR on
    edited July 2010
    It figures that the morning after I pitch a fit on the forums I can get in.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    so i did the ffxi benchmark test and scored over 9000 for high setting, i am guessing i am good for this mmo?
    Yep, you're good for FFXI.
    ;-)

Glal on
    edited July 2010
    So, do we have a server picked out? I can get in now.

Romantic Undead on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i thought it was strange, i must have misread a post thinking it said you have to score over 2500 on the ffxi benchmark, i ran the ffxiv benchmark on high and scored 1250 haha

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • RooXRooX Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i thought it was strange, i must have misread a post thinking it said you have to score over 2500 on the ffxi benchmark, i ran the ffxiv benchmark on high and scored 1250 haha

I think the benchmark is a bit fubar'd anyways.

I just scored a 2100

I have:

a Core I7
    HD5870
    8GB ram
    SSD HHD

yeah.. kind of expected a bit more than that.

saying that, the game runs just fine at 1080p, with everything maxed.

RooX on
    Only dead fish swim downstream.
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fonjo wrote: »
    I just found out that my girlfriend was accepted in the beta too. Neither of us can run this game.

I have been thinking about building a new computer but I might pass on this game at release.

I'll be happy to take one of those keys off your hands if you're not using it. :D

Topia on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    Yep, you're good for FFXI.
    ;-)

Basically, what Square Enix is trying to tell all of you is:

lalafailed.png

Get a better rig kkthxbye.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited July 2010
    I'd like to take time here to note that the benchmark was hella cinematic.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The benchmark should be you standing at an auction house.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Soooooo, what server is everyone on?

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
This discussion has been closed.