As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

a

• MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is that why the DQVC isn't working for me? It's the first time I'm trying to connect, and Sellma keeps saying she can't find the list of stuff to sell me.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is that why the DQVC isn't working for me? It's the first time I'm trying to connect, and Sellma keeps saying she can't find the list of stuff to sell me.

I'd assume so. It isn't actually spitting out errors for us, just saying it succeeded and then not replacing the shop items.

It'd be neat if it at least reset the items. I actually have a Miracle Sword available for purchase now, but I'm a mini medal away from being able to get one for free anyway, so I'm not bothering to buy it. Is there any real reason to have two of them?

jothki on
  • MonkeyDLuffyMonkeyDLuffy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jothki wrote: »

I'd assume so. It isn't actually spitting out errors for us, just saying it succeeded and then not replacing the shop items.

It'd be neat if it at least reset the items. I actually have a Miracle Sword available for purchase now, but I'm a mini medal away from being able to get one for free anyway, so I'm not bothering to buy it. Is there any real reason to have two of them?

If you have a character with decent strength and Miracle Slash, you can equip them with a Miracle Sword and the effect will stack, similar to how using Falcon Blade with a Falcon Sword gets you four hits instead of two. You basically won't ever need to heal them unless they're critical or something, and using Miracle Slash at super-high tension will basically fully restore their HP. Also, you can use alchemy to turn a Miracle Sword into a stronger version called an Uber Miracle Sword.

MonkeyDLuffy on
    I am very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

If you have a character with decent strength and Miracle Slash, you can equip them with a Miracle Sword and the effect will stack, similar to how using Falcon Blade with a Falcon Sword gets you four hits instead of two. You basically won't ever need to heal them unless they're critical or something, and using Miracle Slash at super-high tension will basically fully restore their HP.

I used Miracle Slash + Oomph + Max tension for a 1999 hit. It heals for 25% of the damage you do, so using it with a miracle sword should be 50% maybe. Outrageous healing, basically.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Been playing this at every opportunity I could for the past few days. It's really hooked me like no other RPG has for the past long while (I put the brakes on FFXIII about 25 hours in and I'm really not feeling the desire to go back). I'm being a bit stingy with my skill points as I'm afraid I'll build myself into a corner or screw myself over in some way.

I have DQ V and VIII in my backlog, so I feel kind of bad jumping straight to this. But I think I'll work it backwards and go to VIII after this.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Important thing to remember with skillpoints is:

1. You get 2400 skillpoints before revocation or whatever it's called (going from L99 to L1).
    2. You get 200 from level 1-99
    3. You get 100 from 1-38
    4. You get 100 from 39-99
    5. Passive abilities (the 5th, unique, skilltree) is the most important for each job, as they affect every job, even level new level 1 jobs.
    6. Going from 1-38 off metal slimes / liquid metal slimes is easy.
    7. EVERYONE wants Paladin (massive defense and HP bonuses) and Sage (mana + MP cost discount)'s unique to 100.

KiTA on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Sure, if you like having at least one of each item and are gonna make one of them into the Uber Miracle Sword.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So i just stumbled upon a group of 4 Liquid Metal slimes. I can now confirm 2 things. Boomerangs do crit. And when they crit they crit the whole row. Imagine my glee!

Blood Drive on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KiTA wrote: »

1. You get 2400 skillpoints before revocation or whatever it's called (going from L99 to L1).
    3. You get 100 from 1-38
    5. Passive abilities (the 5th, unique, skilltree) is the most important for each job, as they affect every job, even level new level 1 jobs.
    7. EVERYONE wants Paladin (massive defense and HP bonuses) and Sage (mana + MP cost discount)'s unique to 100.
    Another important thing to note is that, when you revocate, all the points put into that class' unique tree are reset to zero, so in order to max everything with as few revocations as possible, leave one class' unique tree empty so you can max it on the second go around.

12 classes x 200 skillpoints per class = 2400 skillpoints
    26 skill trees x 100 points to max a tree = 2600 points

So you'll be exactly 200 away but, if you maxed out all the unique trees, you'd end up being 300 points away and getting only a net gain of 100 new points.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »

3. You get 100 from 1-38
    Another important thing to note is that, when you revocate, all the points put into that class' unique tree are reset to zero, so in order to max everything with as few revocations as possible, leave one class' unique tree empty so you can max it on the second go around.

12 classes x 200 skillpoints per class = 2400 skillpoints
    26 skill trees x 100 points to max a tree = 2600 points

So you'll be exactly 200 away but, if you maxed out all the unique trees, you'd end up being 300 points away and getting only a net gain of 100 new points.

So for those of us who just want to play the main game, and really don't plan to sit and grind out all 2600 points, should any of this matter to me? Can I bet the game making thematically fun, yet not completely retarded, point distribution decisions?

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    These quests that download... do they go away after the day is up, or do they accumulate?

I'm going to have my hands full of Comic Con all weekend, and I've only just unlocked Tag Mode, even. I don't even know who this Selma chick or Alltrades Abbey ARE yet. Just want to know if I'm totally missing out.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    It seems to me that the instant-kill dagger is better than all the rest, even though it does less damage. I don't know if I'll ever change it, unless the 100 knife quest gives something like auto-kill with any weapon.

EDIT: Does anyone know if Double Up stacks with Oomph? If not I could gain a turn on my boss fights :P

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    harvest wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Double Up stacks with Oomph? If not I could gain a turn on my boss fights :P

Pretty sure Double Up acts as one Sap + 2 Oomph (xxxx's attack increase a lot).

quaigy on
    edited July 2010
    Just one Oomph adds the 'increases a lot' message though. I need to find a way to test this somehow.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
    edited July 2010
    quaigy wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Double Up stacks with Oomph? If not I could gain a turn on my boss fights :P

Pretty sure Double Up acts as one Sap + 2 Oomph (xxxx's attack increase a lot).

This is correct. Double Up's benefit is that it's free. You can test it by doubling up, then having someone cast Oomph (or the other way around) -- you get no effect / just the lowers defense warning.

KiTA on
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just one Oomph adds the 'increases a lot' message though. I need to find a way to test this somehow.
    Yes, this is correct, and Double Up is exactly equivalent to one self-cast of Oomph (which is two "levels" of attack increase...although I'm not sure any effect in the game changes your attack "a little") and one self-cast of Sap. Oomph and Double Up do not stack.

Billmaan on
    edited July 2010
    Billmaan wrote: »
    Yes, this is correct, and Double Up is exactly equivalent to one self-cast of Oomph (which is two "levels" of attack increase...although I'm not sure any effect in the game changes your attack "a little") and one self-cast of Sap. Oomph and Double Up do not stack.

Well then I've been doing it the hard way haha. Good to know, thanks.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
    edited July 2010
    Billmaan wrote: »

There are plenty of effects that lower your attack by one level, though.

Edit: When do you get the key that can unlock cell doors? Because I'm tired of coming across doors that I can't unlock.

jothki on
    edited July 2010
    Two dungeons before the final one, iirc.

quaigy on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Finally unlocked Alltrade abbey. That boss was a bit of a groaner pun-wise. A pain to fight too, but nothing a bit of alchemy and grinding didn't fix.

Are there any other classes that can be unlocked right away besides Gladiator? I did a quick pass of the place, and got the Arma....red mage one, but all the rest look to be lv15 class armor quests.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What is the best area for scarewolves? I hate this quest, a lot.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
    edited July 2010
    North of Bloomingdale, right before you enter the Bad Cave.

quaigy on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So what happens if you do a 100 tension double-up, double-edged slash with the miracle sword equipped?

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    I presume that, since the healing part acts after your character turn is done, you'll die anyway. Might be worth a test, i guess.

On an unrelated note, i just won the accolade for playing the game one hundred hours. I think the game is telling me to take a break.

quaigy on
  • Goldhawk00Goldhawk00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    quaigy wrote: »
    I presume that, since the healing part acts after your character turn is done, you'll die anyway. Might be worth a test, i guess.

On an unrelated note, i just won the accolade for playing the game one hundred hours. I think the game is telling me to take a break.

No, that's when you win the accolade for a thousand hours played.
    I think there's another one for playing co-op too.

Goldhawk00 on
  • useruser Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My friend just came back from Day 2 of the Comic-Con with my DSi in tow. My Quester's Rest has 47 guests now, 3 floors, and a pool area in the cellar. I only picked up 2 unique maps, but one of them was from a fellow visiting from Japan! It's the Ruby Path of Doom level 87. I guess I have good target for a end game crew now.

I should add that the additional floors had red chests, one each, that contained a mini-medal. The 3rd floor had a library room with quite a few recipe books to be had. Not a big deal if you have the guide, but it's a pretty awesome touch nonetheless.

user on
    edited July 2010
    user wrote: »
    My friend just came back from Day 2 of the Comic-Con with my DSi in tow. My Quester's Rest has 47 guests now, 3 floors, and a pool area in the cellar. I only picked up 2 unique maps, but one of them was from a fellow visiting from Japan! It's the Ruby Path of Doom level 87. I guess I have good target for a end game crew now.

I should add that the additional floors had red chests, one each, that contained a mini-medal. The 3rd floor had a library room with quite a few recipe books to be had. Not a big deal if you have the guide, but it's a pretty awesome touch nonetheless.

Damn dude. Is there a way to get that shit without playing multi?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
    edited July 2010
    Doesn't seem to be, although tag mode isn't really multi-player just a passive thing. I'm not sure if I can actually overcome this crazy level 87 map in time to spread it around at a GameStop come the 31st.

user on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really wish that they had done tag mode like TWEWY in that just leaving it on for long enough would make the game randomly generate somebody. I mean really, that gamestop event is my only chance at getting people. Unless they do that again and new people show up I'm screwed. Thanks Japan for making a mode that only works in your country because you'll sell millions of units in the first week. We'll be lucky to break 500k.

Gilder on
    edited July 2010
    So what is the Gamestop event?

jothki on
    edited July 2010
    user wrote: »

AKA "Masayuki's Map." L15 has nothing but Metal King Slimes.

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    From what I understand they're going to offer an advance copy of one of the legacy boss maps which we would normally get as a DLC quest reward quite some time down the line.

edit: Yes it does say discovered by (lower-case 'm') masayuki and conquered by 'poko' who is the guy which handed me the map and is staying at my inn.

user on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's also kind of like a DQ9 LAN party. It's everybody's best bet to get people registered in their inn and do some multiplayer. It's next saturday from 1-4 in the US, and I think in Canada for some reason it's 2-4. If you go to gamestop.com and check the DQ9 page you can check to see if any stores near you are doing it.

Gilder on
    edited July 2010
    So what is the Gamestop event?

Go in on the 31st in select Gamestops, get a map with Zoma in it and meet up with others doing Tag mode.

He is also unlocked via Wifi Qwest 167, which we will get on March 12th, 2011. He is also unlocked if you are in Tag mode near a Wii playing Dragon Quest Monsters Battle Road Victory (or perhaps the arcade game) when they have unlocked the Zoma bonus boss fight in there.

It's unknown if the Zoma map is trade-able in Tag mode. I haven't tried trading Baramos's map.

KiTA on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh my god, a video game event is not only being done in Canada, but also in my city that I can actually attend? That's umpossible!

So just what are the benefits of doing these tag swaps and stuff? I figured it was just swapping maps, which I guess is neat but not really important (well, outside that one super map everybody talks about), and having other people's characters show up in your inn or something. I was just planning on going down and getting the map, but you make it sound like it's way more important to get as many people tagged as possible. So I'm curious, why should I now care to get this done on the one day it's available, and why should I be potentially angry if I don't? :)

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm going to be showing up at the event in Victoria, too. I'll have to keep an eye out for you.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Goldhawk00Goldhawk00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh my god, a video game event is not only being done in Canada, but also in my city that I can actually attend? That's umpossible!

So just what are the benefits of doing these tag swaps and stuff? I figured it was just swapping maps, which I guess is neat but not really important (well, outside that one super map everybody talks about), and having other people's characters show up in your inn or something. I was just planning on going down and getting the map, but you make it sound like it's way more important to get as many people tagged as possible. So I'm curious, why should I now care to get this done on the one day it's available, and why should I be potentially angry if I don't? :)

Basically it's a cute little novelty, you already know about exchanging maps, and having other people's character's show up in your inn. Tagging more people also means the roped off areas of the inn open up and you can grab some extra alchemy recipes and some mini-medals, as someone just posted.
    Given the ratio of population density to popularity of DQ IX in the world outside of Japan: conventions and this Gamestop meet-up are your best chance of tagging other people or playing co-op if that's your thing. If your interested in it, I would say to try to go to one if you can, as there's no guarantee (I'd even say, extremely unlikely) that there'll be any other sponsored meet-ups.

Goldhawk00 on
    edited July 2010
    My copy of DQMJ2 shipped on the 20th via Air Economy Bubble. Any ideas on a realistic ETA? I'd love to have it tomorrow (lol, no) but next week, right as finals are finishing, would be cool too.

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    Sad face. The nearest locations having the event are between 2 and 4 hours away.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif