As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game FMVs / Cinematics / Cutscenes NOT in the game?

DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
I'm sure this is mostly reserved to trailers, but can we make a shortlist (or someone point me to one) of all the notable cutscenes for games that are not actually a part of the game or included with it?

Trailers composed of gameplay footage are obviously not notable or what's being sought.

Teasers are welcome too.

Deusfaux on

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wing Commander 3 -- the explanation for the major plot twist was cut, supposedly due to disc space limitations.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Some notable companies like Square or Blizzard - are there FMVs for their games like trailers that never showed up in the game?

Starcraft II has a couple trailers now, right?

On a related note, not sure how many people noticed that once Brood Wars is installed, you no longer have in-game access to the original Starcraft intro, with the Protoss mothership over the Terran space station.

You can temporarily rename a file in the directory to bring it back, however.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Duke Nukem.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Wing Commander 3 -- the explanation for the major plot twist was cut, supposedly due to disc space limitations.

I've seen this before, and honestly it just seems too hamfisted. The cutscene is kind of awful, and if I recall correctly, didn't Hobbes explain it when you meet him on the way to Kilrah?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I recommend this thread be called the following:

From the Cutting Room Floor - Lost Scenes From Games

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The first one that springs to mind was from Chrono Cross. The intro FMV has two scenes that do not appear in the game. The first is a brief shot of Serge running in Termina, equipped with the Spectral Swallow (Hey-yo) and the second is with Harle jumping in front of the twin moons.

I've always wondered the context of the two scenes.

FMV, for old times sake

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Orogogus wrote: »

I've seen this before, and honestly it just seems too hamfisted. The cutscene is kind of awful, and if I recall correctly, didn't Hobbes explain it when you meet him on the way to Kilrah?

Hobbes doesn't explain jack. From the game script, at Kilrah:
    Ah, my old friend. As I foresaw, we meet again . . .

But this time as what we were destined to be . . . enemies.

(beat)

Enemies who now must fight to the death. You are a noble warrior. And because of that . . . I wish you well: that our last meeting be purely a duel of will and courage, subject not to arbitrary twists of fate . . .

Orogogus on
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    Some notable companies like Square or Blizzard - are there FMVs for their games like trailers that never showed up in the game?

Starcraft II has a couple trailers now, right?

On a related note, not sure how many people noticed that once Brood Wars is installed, you no longer have in-game access to the original Starcraft intro, with the Protoss mothership over the Terran space station.

You can temporarily rename a file in the directory to bring it back, however.

All the Starcraft 2 trailers are comprised of stuff from that's seen in game.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fair enough. It's probably been 15 years since I played it, so my memory is foggy. Still, I remember that cut scene, and it's really not well made.

It also lacks Tom Wilson...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tales of symphonia was epic for this. 90% of the intro wasn't in the game at all cutscene wise. The epic fights were against a "hidden uber boss" that you only got to by beating super hard versions of him, and if you miss doing so thats it forever for your playthrough.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Breath of Fire 4, i dont know exactly what but i DO remember that heaps of the awesome cutscene at thestart is not in the game.

hadoken on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Resonance of Fate's second intro/demo movie which explains the motivations behind the villains. This is the only time you get this information.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Half Life 2 was notorious for a lot of things in the preview videos not making it into the final game - most notably things like being able to barricade yourself into a building, and the blue water tentacle (apparently cut on the grounds of just being no fun to fight).

Half Life 1 also had several scenes/enemies on the back of the box that just didn't appear in that form in-game - but this was apparently standard practice, with box art being finalised many months before the game goes gold.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Planescape: Torment had a promo trailer that featured lots of cutscenes never seen in the game. Like most of those aren't in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s2Qkx3lN5s

IIRC Chris Avellone explained it as being a trailer designed to pitch the game in order to get the go ahead or something, and they later used scenes from it for advertising.

Even the intro had some stuff that would appear important but is never really explained, other than possibly as "fragments of your past lives".

subedii on