As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Minecraft] - rock is my life (multiplayer survival out now)

Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insultedwhen I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology
So, there is this hip and cool indie game called Minecraft created by only one guy who quit his day job to work on his project, and apparently it's ace. The game is in the alpha stage right now and you can get it here for $13 (the price will jump to $20 soon) and start playing or try a free version (creator mode, missing a lot of features) here. You can join the PA creative server with the free version! (you need to log in)

AkimboEG explains the the different versions for you.

A short summary of what's in the game:

-Procedurally generated game world, nigh-infinite size (in glorious voxels!)
-Mine ore and craft materials, items and weapons
-Build walls, towers and traps during the day, hide in your fortress from exploding monsters at night
-use mine carts and boats to traverse the world quickly
-now with multiplayer survival mode
-and probably more!

How to get started by NailbunnyPD

Notch's development blog, check here for updates

Useful stuff:

Multiplayer server list

Survial mode (SMP)

Vic's server - pm "Vic" to get the IP
Zetx's server - zetx.myvnc.com
[strike]Fort1tude's server - IP: 74.69.34.132[/strike] (currently not in use)

Creative mode:

"Forts Fort"

Let's Play (Succession game)
(New Wangland) [on hold]

Part 1 (AJK); 2 (pabh); 3 (Kris_xK); 4 (Molybdenum); 5 (AJK); 6 (pabh); 7 (Mighty); 8 (Kris_xK); 9 (Molybdenum); 10 (UncleSporky); 11 (MetaHybrid); 12 Sonar;
13 (LionEyez); 14 (Sporklord)

Ye known world (huge file size!)

Sucession game II:

Roster:
Lux782
Sporklord
Kris_xK
Pabh

World Map (load this map and win a prize!)

the_not_so_great_forest.jpg

voled-1.png

Videos:

Discuss.

Alfred J. Kwak on

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've played this a bit in the past. Right now it's pretty early in its development, but a good bit of fun can be had just sculpting things as-is. Really looking forward to the full game though.

The best description I can think of for it is imagining a randomly-generated game world entirely made of lego. All of it. The landscape, even down to the the trees, is made of blocks which are either destroyed (via hands, pickaxes or dynamite), or created/placed.

All in all an amazing accomplishment for one dude.

Suriko on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It seems that you can now share your game world with several other players. I like the idea of having PAers competing over who can build the most impressive castles and highest dick-shaped sculptures on one map. Could be fun!

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Some examples of stuff that can be done, from a few /v/ threads (spoilered for hueg):
    1279864790595.jpg
    1277763288969.png
    1278378398138.png
    1277772319332.jpg

Also there's some amazing shit on Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWPk5zlKAEM

Suriko on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow, that's impressive! I'll have to pick it up and try it out. It looks great, I love that retro feeling style... and it looks like you could have quite a bit of fun worldbuilding with it. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ha, I barely survived my first night - I figured my defense line around the mine would be enough to keep the monsters away from me, but that green blob blasted a hole into the wall and the rest gave me chase until sunrise. I really need to find out how to craft torches and how to heal my wounds.

edit: turns out that I built my mine directly over the possibly creepiest huge cave ever and, sure enough, I die falling in a lava stream while trying to escape from an arrow-shooting skeleton that ambushed me.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am so glad to live in a world where Minecraft can make money. I'm going to get way more than $10 worth of fun out of this, I can tell already.

zilo on
    edited July 2010
    Does anyone know if you can go from a snow region into a non-snow part of the world if you started in one? It kinda sucks to not be able to take the boat.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Who's got the multiplayer invites?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's going multiplayer probably sometime next month if there aren't any giant bugs.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pretty cool I guess.

Here is a bridge I made:
    briiidge.jpg

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited July 2010
    Wow, kudos UncleSporky! I thought I was clever with my 3-room mountaintop fastness connected by ladders, with a fountain / log ride down to the ocean and cliff-diving pool for easy exit. Doesn't compare to that though.

zilo on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just tried the free demo, and I'm impressed.

Unfortunately, my little laptop started feeling quite hot after a few dozen minutes of playing...

Hexmage-PA on
    edited July 2010
    zilo wrote: »
    Wow, kudos UncleSporky! I thought I was clever with my 3-room mountaintop fastness connected by ladders, with a fountain / log ride down to the ocean and cliff-diving pool for easy exit. Doesn't compare to that though.

Yours sounds more interesting to me. :)

I think the best thing this game has going for it is the lighting system, overhanging cliffs just look awesome and I can't resist checking out every dark corner and diving into every cave.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited July 2010
    Started a new map and dug myself a Dwarf Fortress-style cave lair. I've spent the last two hours installing proper cobblestone steps everywhere, and putting in an art gallery. Soon I may have to carve out my cobblestone walls and put in some wood paneling, make the place fit for a gentleman.

Man, this game sinks its hooks deep.

zilo on
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    yes this game is the bomb-diggity

we have a succession game/lets play going on in the SE++ thread, you guys should check it out!

VALVEjunkie on
    edited July 2010
    It's going multiplayer probably sometime next month if there aren't any giant bugs.

Nope, mulitplayer was added with the latest version, although it's not fully developed yet, but I haven't tried it. I believe so far you can only build on the same map, but fortress sieges and other stuff is expected to come in the future. Our SE++ fellows have their own server I think (and what VALVEjunkie said).

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited July 2010

Nope, mulitplayer was added with the latest version, although it's not fully developed yet, but I haven't tried it. I believe so far you can only build on the same map, but fortress sieges and other stuff is expected to come in the future. Our SE++ fellows have their own server I think (and what VALVEjunkie said).

right here!

DICK WITH ANYBODIES STUFF AND WE WILL BUTTFUCK YOU

have fun! :D

VALVEjunkie on
    edited July 2010
    I think I have to contribute with an underwater base of mine.

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited July 2010
    Really fun, Peewi and I made a big dome with a skylight and tree shrine in the middle.

UncleSporky on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Do we need multiplayer invites to play on that server?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Work of an afternoon:
    39472412.png

40154950.png

The interior is rather unspectacular

34973540.png

Doesn't look like much, but keeping the water out was actually rather time-consuming.

Also, omg huge tree
    68954243.png
    Gihgehls wrote: »

Nope, not at all! It seems that everyone can just jump in and mess around a bit.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gihgehls wrote: »

No, but you do need to register on the site to play multiplayer.

Peewi on
    edited July 2010
    If you are using the PA server, you should maybe think about downloading http://www.worldofminecraft.com/Minecraft_Custom_Client_Wrapper_Download

lets you fly around, boost movement speed and other things to navigate easier around the map. You will need an account on that site though.

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited July 2010
    God this game is addictive. I just spent three hours dicking around. First I built a bridge out to a column, then I built a tower on the column, then I knocked away the support so it would become a floating tower, and finally I destroyed the bridge and removed a lot of the tower's blocks so it would look like a ruin. After that I dug channels to see if I could flood the valley's throughout the stage.

BTW, how do the tree shrub and dynamite objects work? Do they do anything on the online version?

Hexmage-PA on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you destroy my Floating House I will kill you.
    If you add on to it, there will be no murder.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
    edited July 2010

On that note: If you remove a block from my underwater dome, it'll likely flood. If it floods, make your last prayer, because it takes freaking forver to get the water out again.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

On that note: If you remove a block from my underwater dome, it'll likely flood. If it floods, make your last prayer, because it takes freaking forver to get the water out again.

I didn't see your underwater dome, but on the same note we now have an underground/underlava Temple, and god help whoever floods it.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
    edited July 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    I didn't see your underwater dome, but on the same note we now have an underground/underlava Temple, and god help whoever floods it.

Don't worry, it sounds like you built that temple in a place where no one will ever see it. :P

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited July 2010
    As a quick note... how do you get rid of water anyways?

VThornheart on
    edited July 2010

That's my question. The water physics aren't very realistic. I tried to drain a pond by opening up a tunnel into an underground cavern; the cavern filled with water, but the pond's water level stayed the same.

Hexmage-PA on
    edited July 2010

why, sponge blocks, of course!(the cheese lookin ones)

VALVEjunkie on
    edited July 2010
    First you have to close the gap in the wall where the water comes in, then you have to fill every last water block with another block - and I really mean all of them - and then you remove them again. At least that's how do it, when working below sea level. Tell me if there's an easier way.

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited July 2010
    ^^^

VALVEjunkie on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really love this game. Its so much fun just making stuff, and exploring others'.

Like that sunken temple? Awesome. Theres so much other stuff, like random tunnels that lead off to sunken areas filled with gold... just exploring is half the fun it seems.

Thanks for helping me with lave problem ValveJunkie. Out of curiosity, is this server ever reset?

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
    edited July 2010
    nope!

but he does make backups so if a greifer messes everything up he can just roll back the map

VALVEjunkie on
    edited July 2010
    I'm very much looking forward to multiplayer Survival, but in the meantime wandering around that server posted above is lots of fun.

zilo on
    edited July 2010
    Hey VALVEjunkie I've seen in the other thread that you're quite good with importing pictures, could you explain to me how this works?

Also this is quite cool: "You can place a painting and then delete the block the painting is in front of and the the painting will still stay in place (...) you can walk through the painting (...) secret study (...)"

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    so i paid the $13 for this because i enjoyed minecraft before and i love sandbox games, i can't for the life of me figure out the ingredient to make a torch, obviously its a stick and something else D:

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This video has just sold me I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwr79lPRrFI

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    edited July 2010
    Wow, that is a brutal set of steps to drain the water... this game is definitely for people who are more patient than I am. I'm impressed with what they've done though! =)

Also mere_immortal, my jaw just dropped seeing that video. That's amazing! I wonder how many months - or years even - it took them to make that gigantic rollercoaster ride. That underground cavern part was particularly amazing. Wow!

VThornheart on