As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dark Kenjies Artz

DarkKenjieDarkKenjie Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Artist's Corner
Heya guys Im kinda new here to penny arcade but I really like it :)

I’m a freelance artist and I sell stuff at conventions around the U.S. Im a storyboarder, but now Ill let my art do the talking cuz I suck at it lol

Older_Toph_V_S__Older_Zuko_by_DarkKenjie.jpg

da0ac6f06ea90e2429bbdf139b390299.jpg

Avatar_Season_4_poster_COLORED_by_DarkKenjie.jpg

Avatar_Season_4_poster__lines__by_DarkKenjie.jpg

0a3d8d3a594c385ac3709de65de98033.jpg

faecf5de2efc5e7c73c59595d18c7f4d.jpg

Anyway mores coming, and I’m on Deviant art too. If you ever want a critic or to chat or post up your work and I give it a critic :) I’m really hooked on PATV right now lol must play ping pong!!!
Here’s my DA with more of my work http://darkkenjie.deviantart.com/

DarkKenjie on

• Options
    Koragi85Koragi85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Your artwork is ridiculously awesome! Keep up the great work! :mrgreen:

Koragi85 on
    "Why fight the body when you can dominate the mind that rules it?” -Jace Beleren
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    I like that last one alot, it has a way better sense of light than the other works. The avatar one is particularly flat for all the glowing thats going on. It looks like you're trying to do a secondary light source buy just tracing a line with a neon color here and there, and its not quite working.

Iruka on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Awesome! But yeah Iruka is right. Too much flare. I think the avatar one prob didnt need that much lightbloom on the arrows. It distracts from your excellent linework.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    hahaha mmm some good criticin here :D I totally agree, I kinda maybe got lost in the detail but I wanted the arrow to lead you up to the focal point. Ill put some more up :)

Older_Toph_V_S__Older_Zuko_by_DarkKenjie.jpg

DarkKenjie on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really like your line art, but you're missing out on some of the lighting.

That one you most recently posted has great composition but why is the blind girl being lit by some white highlight? She's surrounded by fire!

The guy in the air too!

[I need to start watching airbender because I really like what I've been seeing/hearing about it]

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That's called rim lighting and really useful in a illustration cuz you can throw it any where :) its basically a second sometimes off screen light source and it helps when your losing some of the edges of the character and pulls them right back to the front. It goes on the shadowed side of the character after the core shadow and reflected light. But sometimes it on the light side to. If that helps, I use it alot lol

like here:

Iroh___Dragon_of_the_West_by_DarkKenjie.jpg

04dd36e5e51ff0f9a3e6a898ab762c2a.jpg

and heck yes you do, its a awesome show :)

DarkKenjie on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Really strong stuff. Some of them I feel you overdid it with the airbrush and painting "air" almost starts to make it look like smoke in the air but then other areas do not suppourt that idea.

The peice with Zeus type guy worms eye view is really nice. I find your stylization of the abs a bit strange. You got really descriptive how the seratus anterior is insterting inbetween the straps and then suggest hes got a bit of a pot belly but go on to describe the arch of the rib cage pretty sharply.

It just looks really weird. Like you forgot to draw the rest of the abdominals or you decided to make him a bit fat but still wanted to show a bunch of anatomy. But a guy with that much belly "poof" you wouldnt really see much below the pectorals. You made his midsection to lean in some places.

Im only nitpicking shit because you are asking for critiques and a lot of these the only thing left to crit is nitpicks. These all have a lot of flow and life. Excellent drawing all around..

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    hahahah Thanks :)

Ya man anatomy is some fun stuff, that was done like a year and a half ago when I was starting to learn how to stylizes and color with photoshop. I was for the most part trained with traditional foundations. Charcoal and paints and all that. And its chill Nitpicking it totally fine :)

DarkKenjie on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rim lighting is fine, but for toph, the color of that rim lighting is not right. It should be red. With the white it just looks out of place.

As for the arrow, it's like its super glowy. Your whole composition is already leading up to the arrow. you dont need to make it that bright. It's like your saying a sentence that is "Dogs are more betterer then cats". By Balancing your values people will have a chance to appreciate the other parts of your picture.

This is a overall issue with your artwork in that you're lighting by numbers too strongly. The actual light sources in your picture have too low an influence on your coloring even though there these super bright things. Even though I know that there are compositional reasons to color people 3/4 lighting, the light sources you've established need to play a stronger role. This will help add depth to your pieces.

PROX on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DarkKenjie wrote: »
    Heya guys Im kinda new here to penny arcade but I really like it :)

I’m a freelance artist and I sell stuff at conventions around the U.S. Im a storyboarder, but now Ill let my art do the talking cuz I suck at it lol

Avatar_Season_4_poster_COLORED_by_DarkKenjie.jpg

This is supposed to be a parody of this right?

http://alvinlee.deviantart.com/art/SF-TRIBUTE-COLOR-WINNER-149571278

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    lol its not a parody but I did get inspired by Alvin's line art composition, hes a cool guy and a great line artist. We were next to each other at Wondercon this year and I colored mine before Monk or Fabian colored his work :)

you can read my stuff on DA http://darkkenjie.deviantart.com/art/Avatar-Season-4-poster-145756349?q=&qo=

I just don't feel like posting up my comments on each piece here... but maybe I should lol

DarkKenjie on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man I love that picture or Iroh you did, I favorited it on deviantart a few weeks ago.

Loving your stuff here, especially the howl's moving castle one, the juggernaut v. hulk, and the toph versus zuko one. I really like the life in your work, it is very fun to look at.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    Automatic JackAutomatic Jack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Awww, storyboarding!! My dream job! I just barely missed out on a story internship with Pixar this summer (shortlisted, bah), but I am getting practice at a small e-card company right now. Are you allowed to talk about stuff you've worked on? I love me some board slinging action!

The drawings are really fun to look at (EDIT: Oops, didn't realize the previous poster said basically the same thing. Well, they are!). Ken's detailed anatomical descriptions are intimidating. Really must brush up before school starts again...

Automatic Jack on
    PAsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Heck yes! Storyboarding is were its at. And better luck next time man a Pixar internship would be awesome. I interned at Cartoon network alil more then year ago.

I’m not some guy who’s been everywhere though lol technically I’m still a student. I have like 4 classes to take, its just job opportunities keep happening and I take them so school is slowing down.

The last thing I worked on for storyboarding (that I can say) is with Sean better known a Cheeks on his Bastions 7 project http://cheeks-74.deviantart.com/

DarkKenjie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Princess_Mononoke_____colored__by_DarkKenjie.jpg

I love so much of Hayao Miyazaki's work. My Neighbor Totoro was the first Anime I watched as a kid.

Anyway Im missing out on comic con this year, anyone going?

DarkKenjie on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Really nice stuff all around. The only one that bothers me a lot is Iroh busting out his cell. The muscles are really overdefined and it gives his body an emboss filter look, rather than having form. Also having a bit of light from the melted bars might balance out the colour of it as it's all strictly cool lighting from the lightning.

Welcome to the forums!

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Heck yes! Storyboarding is were its at. And better luck next time man a Pixar internship would be awesome. I interned at Cartoon network alil more then year ago.

I’m not some guy who’s been everywhere though lol technically I’m still a student. I have like 4 classes to take, its just job opportunities keep happening and I take them so school is slowing down.

The last thing I worked on for storyboarding (that I can say) is with Sean better known a Cheeks on his Bastions 7 project http://cheeks-74.deviantart.com/
    Wo-o-o-ow... Cheeks' books always sell like hotcakes when the Labyrinth (traveling art book store in Toronto) stops by our skool. How did you manage to swing that gig? Did you meet him at a con or did he see your DA page or something? Anyway, it's a lot cooler to have too many job opportunities during school rather than the usual case of zero after school.

As for the big P internship... I know I could have done a lot better so it's nice that I got positive feedback anyway. It's not often studios let you know how close you came, even if you didn't make it. And since this summer is my first summer away from home, I can spend it relaxing and playing vidya games for the first time ever!

I like how your stuff looks like a screenshot sometimes. In a good way. Like, gee I wish the show looked like that all the time!

Automatic Jack on
    PAsig.png
  • Options
    Koragi85Koragi85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really love the Avatar stuff the most. Especially the Fire Bender piece. :D Totally curious, have you ever tried doing some of the Fullmetal Alchemist stuff, but make it more your own?

Terrific stuff so far!

Koragi85 on
    "Why fight the body when you can dominate the mind that rules it?” -Jace Beleren
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Check out Cheeks’s “Bastion’s 7” Animatic. I was one of the storyboarders on it (can you guess which part I did? lol) It's lookin AWESOME!

http://vimeo.com/13687272

DarkKenjie on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

04dd36e5e51ff0f9a3e6a898ab762c2a.jpg

)

You sir, are a legend. Love this. Colours are fantastic.
    Crit, is the ghost/dark character on that maroon rooftop is a little too small in comparison to the others and he kinda gets alittle lost in the maroon shadow. Also i think you should lower the dudes hand on the girl. He looks like he has "busy hands"

Man, LOVING THE COLOURS

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Cowboy_Bebop__lines__by_DarkKenjie.jpg
    larger view here on my deviantart http://darkkenjie.deviantart.com/#/d2vr57w

3 2 1 lets Jam..

Had some free time yesterday so I did some Cowboy Bebop lines :) It’s the best anime ever! And one of my favorites. Ill color it when I get some free time.
    Hope you dig it!

DarkKenjie on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wo-o-o-ow... Cheeks' books always sell like hotcakes when the Labyrinth (traveling art book store in Toronto) stops by our skool. How did you manage to swing that gig? Did you meet him at a con or did he see your DA page or something? Anyway, it's a lot cooler to have too many job opportunities during school rather than the usual case of zero after school.

As for the big P internship... I know I could have done a lot better so it's nice that I got positive feedback anyway. It's not often studios let you know how close you came, even if you didn't make it. And since this summer is my first summer away from home, I can spend it relaxing and playing vidya games for the first time ever!

I like how your stuff looks like a screenshot sometimes. In a good way. Like, gee I wish the show looked like that all the time!

I met Sean like 2-3 years ago at wonder con and we just keep talking and collaborated a couple of times online. Yahh man I totally agreed, it is nice to know how close to getting something you were. At least its a lot better that nothing. lol

DarkKenjie on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Lookin' good, lookin' good! I'm a huge fan of clean crisp lines myself. This will give us something to cry over together when the Keanu Reeves Cowboy Bebop movie comes out.

Automatic Jack on
    PAsig.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow, super snazzy!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Lookin' good, lookin' good! I'm a huge fan of clean crisp lines myself. This will give us something to cry over together when the Keanu Reeves Cowboy Bebop movie comes out.

He is doing what!!!! :0

DarkKenjie on