As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My Rotten Junkthread (NSF56K)

MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Artist's Corner
[IMAGES REMOVED BY MANGO]

Mangoes on

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I love your pixely doodles. Jus sayin.

Also, your environmental work is nice too, so I'd try to refine some of those, or if they were speed paints post some mores.

earthwormadam on
  • Automatic JackAutomatic Jack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's really no point in trying to critique these fun little sketches, so all I will say is... The ears have it!! (That recurring guy wouldn't happen to be a self-portrait, would it?)

I'd like to see some more polished stuff too. Especially that waterfront scene. Maybe some comics starring the mango.

Automatic Jack on
    PAsig.png
  • MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I love your pixely doodles. Jus sayin.

Also, your environmental work is nice too, so I'd try to refine some of those, or if they were speed paints post some mores.
    Thanks! I can always seem to convey more emotion with the pencil in photoshop.

As for the environment stuff, they were speedpaintings, but I really shouldn't use that as an excuse. I just have a terribly short attention span and too little confidence in myself to finish something.
    There's really no point in trying to critique these fun little sketches, so all I will say is... The ears have it!! (That recurring guy wouldn't happen to be a self-portrait, would it?)

I'd like to see some more polished stuff too. Especially that waterfront scene. Maybe some comics starring the mango.
    No, they aren't self-portraits. They weren't really supposed to be the same person, either. I spent a good while drawing the same hair (it is a self hair-portrait) and not even realizing it, so now I've started to try new things.

Like I said to EWA, I have to work on polish. I have a tendency to stop after 8 hours and try something new.

As for Mango comics, I've done a few, but they usually don't make much sense out of context. I should try some standalone stuff. But then, I don't have a great sense of humor, either.

For example, I made this today, based on a true story:
    comic-5.png

And here's some more random stuff:
    fruit.png
    This one was for the Draw-an-Avatar thread:
    pilotcowboy-1.png
    toast.png
    squall-1.png

Mangoes on
    edited July 2010
    Aha ha ha, I don't really have any idea what's going on with any of these (is he taping something in that third panel?) but they are like someone pouring a tall glass of lemonade down my back on the hottest summer day of the year. It's cool and refreshing and I'm not going to question it, but it is a little sticky.

I'm not one to look a gift horse-plane in the mouth, after all.

Automatic Jack on
    PAsig.png
    edited July 2010
    Aha ha ha, I don't really have any idea what's going on with any of these (is he taping something in that third panel?) but they are like someone pouring a tall glass of lemonade down my back on the hottest summer day of the year. It's cool and refreshing and I'm not going to question it, but it is a little sticky.

I'm not one to look a gift horse-plane in the mouth, after all.

He's changing an A/C filter. The air conditioner went out and I had to play "handyman" by performing the menial task of replacing a dusty filter.

Also, I appreciate the lemonade analogy (and laughed out loud at the gift horse statement)!

Mangoes on
    edited July 2010
    I think the onus is on me for not having any experience with air conditioners.

Automatic Jack on
    PAsig.png
  • CountBlackulaCountBlackula MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Love this stuff, but you knew that already.

And since I'm in the business of requesting cool drawings from you, I'm gonna request that you draw Ness and/or Poo from Earthbound.

Good luck, soldier.

CountBlackula on
    8JHfoFW.png Dom's Sketch Cast
    edited July 2010
    Haha, I'll try that a little later, Count.

I realized halfway through drawing the middle one that it looked a bit like John Travolta.
    realpaper.png

I know, I should use a scanner....but I don't have one! I'm kind of broke after ordering the new iPhone.

Mangoes on
  • SabSab Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is there a special reason why you sometimes make the nose its own object (close off the line) and sometimes don't?
    Personally I feel your strongest faces are the ones where the nose is not its own object because it looks more natural. In cases with glasses the closing-off makes sense because of the bar over the nose but otherwise I don't see a reason for it.

Sab on
    pasigsab.png
    edited July 2010
    It's just a stylistic choice. I usually don't use it, but lately I've been messing around with it. I'll probably stop using it, but I just kind of like the way it looks. Thanks for the feedback!

Mangoes on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Make some bodies.

PROX on
    edited July 2010

And since I'm in the business of requesting cool drawings from you, I'm gonna request that you draw Ness and/or Poo from Earthbound.

Good luck, soldier.

ness.png

Here's your Ness! Not happy with it, but I wasn't gonna start over. lol

Mangoes on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    love it! and those environments are beautiful! wow.

NakedZergling on
    edited July 2010
    Thanks, NZ!

Trying to work on values and lighting a lil' bit. As you can see, I'm still learning.
    robot-1.png
    It's just yet another thing I am not fully pleased with. But you know what they say, quantity over quality, right?

Right? D:

Mangoes on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    water.png

I absolutely love this.

I'm not a big fan with how some of your stylization comes out, but you have a lot of great stuff here regardless.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • CountBlackulaCountBlackula MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    CapnMango wrote: »

Good luck, soldier.

ness.png

Here's your Ness! Not happy with it, but I wasn't gonna start over. lol

Haha, I love this. I'm glad you actually drew it. :winky: Let us know if you want more requests!!

CountBlackula on
    8JHfoFW.png Dom's Sketch Cast
    edited July 2010
    Sab wrote: »
    Personally I feel your strongest faces are the ones where the nose is not its own object because it looks more natural. In cases with glasses the closing-off makes sense because of the bar over the nose but otherwise I don't see a reason for it.
    It's definitely a style thing. At the school I'm going to, maybe a third of everyone draws or sometimes draws noses like that.

Also: That Ness is SMAAAAAAAASHING!!

Automatic Jack on
    PAsig.png
    edited July 2010
    Aumni-- I appreciate the comment, but could you be more specific about the stylization? I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to.

CountBlackula-- Glad you like it. I'm awful with requests, but I suppose it challenges me. Makes me go beyond my comfort zone.

Automatic Jack-- Really? I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Also: thanks.

mangobig-1.png
    Something I drew for the SE++ doodle thread right as it was closing down.

Mangoes on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Some of the noses seem hit or miss for me, but it's really a tiny complaint because I like your work a lot. And I like your new avatar guy. MONOCLE SMILE!

Or some such stuff.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    edited July 2010
    Ah okay, I can see that. I do have a problem with noses. I'll keep experimenting!

EDIT: I put this in the CHAT thread already, but I'll put it here too. It's about coconut milk.
    coconut.png

Mangoes on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hahaha, man too funny Mango.....hahahaha........also you're a monster.:shock:

Mustang on
    edited July 2010
    Put the lime in the coconut... Then put the coconut in the sink.

My dad hates that song with the burning passion of at least half the Earth's sun.

Automatic Jack on
    PAsig.png
    edited July 2010
    Hah, I'm not fond of that song either.

Here's a quick and dirty sketch of Brandon Flowers (lead singer for the Killers, doing a solo thing now) just because his music is awesome.
    flowers-1.png

EDIT: For instance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc16Y9fiCvQ
    Weirdass video; and somehow he says he's not gay. He's like, married and stuff.

Mangoes on
    edited July 2010
    Ooh, ooh! Do Brandon flowers being tormented by Santa Claus out in the desert. i think that would somehow work really well with your style.

Automatic Jack on
    PAsig.png
    edited July 2010
    Ooh, ooh! Do Brandon flowers being tormented by Santa Claus out in the desert. i think that would somehow work really well with your style.
    Ahahaha, I'll have to do that when I'm feeling better. Should be fun!

Mangoes on
    edited July 2010
    brandonflowers.png
    Progress on the Brandon Flowers + Santa drawing. I'm taking this one pretty slow due to the coughcoughs.

Mangoes on
    edited July 2010
    Third post in a row, hah.
    santa.png
    Here you go, Jack! Requests are hard!

Mangoes on
    edited July 2010
    Ah ha ha, ho ho ho! Thanks!

Flowers is so cute and helpless on that chair. Such an odd song.

Automatic Jack on
    PAsig.png