As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

a

• GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's the ticket!

Lovitz.jpg

GPIA7R on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've gotten Baramos down to 9 turns. He's still level 1.

Thoughts:

1. Making my main character an outright damage dealing badass was a mistake. Egg On -> ANOTHER damage dealing badass (who is also using psyche up) would be faster.
    2. At 500 defense + Buff, my paladin takes 10 damage from his normal attacks.
    3. His AOE attacks slaughter my paladin.
    4. Breath Barrier + Magic Mirror + Forbearance = HAHAHA
    5. Watching a boss sit there enthralled at my leopard skinned tights is amusing.

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    7 turns.

The basic flow:
    Turn 1: Hero uses psyche up. Meredith uses the fan breath reflect ability.
    (Alonso is out of MP and just attacking with a falcon sword for 70 damage a hit, the priest is doing priesty things.)
    Turn 2: Hero uses psyche up. Meredith uses Magic Mirror.
    Turn 3: Hero uses psyche up. Meredith uses forbearance.
    Turn 4+: Hero uses psyche up and hits 100 tension. Meredith uses forbearance.
    Turn X-1: Hero uses double up.
    Turn X: Hero uses Blind Man's Biff, Baramos dies.

Scary thing is, I think this might be faster grinding than off Liquid Metal Slimes. And this way I get mini medals.

KiTA on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Where is the place to do this? Do you get to stand in front of him and keep initiating combat or what?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A few days ago, Tycho wrote in the newspost that he was trying DQIX as his first DQ. It's apparently gone over well!
    Dragon Quest IX and my Nintendo DSi entertainment system are now fused, representing a single, dedicated entertainment apparatus. Anything not absolutely necessary for the playing of this most recent Dragon Quest has become vestigial.

I couldn't even tell you where my stylus is.

I keep thinking that the joy will abate, or that the game will get too comfortable with itself, or some other thing that never ends up being true. It exhibits confidence and class well beyond what should (by rights) fit on a tiny square this size. And its portability assures that it is always there, like a hound gnawing a tennis ball, wagging its tail by the door in a state of eager, perpetual joy. This must be what the true Dragon Quest enthusiast wants: to come in to the series completely fresh. Well, I'm doing that. And it's as great as you hoped.

It makes me feel bad that I want it to look better sometimes, but I do; it makes me feel like I have a prickly heart and that I'm not truly capable of love. Key NPCs are surprisingly great - easy on the eye, legitimately evocative. The menagerie is also a treat, with beasts that visibly delight in their own evil nature. But your characters, being lathed out of chunks in the hero factory, don't always rise to the level. This is the third piece of Nintendo DS hardware I've purchased, and I've had as much fun on this system as I've had on any other, but when I see my character's clubby, pointy non-hands in this game I purse my lips. Those inhuman stumps may be my only complaint. The 3DS really can't come soon enough.

After getting my portable dose of DQ, I not-so-secretly hope they ditch DQX on Wii and bring it to the 3DS. I know it's based on install base and all, but if the 3DS is the perfect storm of awesome it's looking to be anyway, it very well might match the JP install base by the time DQX comes out anyway!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dear makers of Dragon Quest:

Let me preface by saying I really love your games. Been playing them ever since I got my very first NES. But I have a grievance and would like to make an open request. It is the year of our lord 2010, and this is your 9th game. Can we please update some of the game mechanics and user interface already? There have been some fantastic advances in these areas over the years, but your desire to stay "retro" is starting to push my patience. You think you're being stylish, but you're just like an old man who still uses a rotary phone.

-Can we update the save system, and let me save on the map? Or better yet, speed the whole saving process up? I'm tired of having to traipse through the same slow moving dialog. I'm even more tired of being asked if I want to quit playing after I've saved. Does anybody use this feature anymore? It just goes to a black screen, giving me permission to turn the system off! I think I'm capable of knowing when to turn it off, thank you. Just give me the save button, and simply save when I click it.

-Can we update the item inventory system now? Like say, put in a shared item list that everybody uses from, ala Final Fantasy? This individual item list gets very tiring, especially when, if I want to stock people up on healing items, I have to click each item separately, then pick the character to give it to, and repeat this action for however many of the item I want to give. At the very least, could we let items stack, so that if I want to give my mage 5 medicine, I don't have to slog through the menu 5 times?

-Actually, related to that, can we just update the whole item interface to begin with? It takes so long to use the menu in the first place.

-Can we make resurrection spells and items not be hyper rare in the beginning? So that when my Hero, who is the sole user of the escape and teleport spell, dies to a critical hit that was for more HP than his max, on the 5th floor of the dungeon, I'm not forced to hike it aaaaalllll the way back down and out to the nearest town.

-Can I just change my class instantly? This is related to the saving mechanic. I've gotta go through pages of dialog to do it, taking up to 30 seconds to get the act done. For just one character. God help me if I need to do multiple switches.

-Can we put the amount of XP needed to level in the status UI now? This was quaint back in the NES days, but come on now. I'm pretty sure game balance isn't going to be destroyed if I don't have to walk all the way back to a priest just to know what the number is.

*sigh* Sorry. I really needed to get that out of my system. I really, really do like your games. Really I do. But you can still be classic without being antiquated. Let's step into the future and update some of these features. Please?

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited July 2010
    Where is the place to do this? Do you get to stand in front of him and keep initiating combat or what?

One of the post-game quests (optional sidequests available during post game) gets you a map for him. Cameo Boss maps are normal grottos except they are 1 floor deep, and the only thing on that one floor is the boss room. You can reset any grotto by closing the map and reopening it. So once you find where his grotto is at, you can beat him, leave, come back, beat him again, etc.

For the record, the faster way would be:

Turn 1: Hero Eggs On Alonso. Alonso uses Psyche Up. Meredith uses forbearance.
    Turn 2: Hero Eggs On Alonso. Alonso uses Psyche Up. Meredith uses forbearance.
    Turn 3: Hero uses Oomph on Alonso. Alonso uses Blind Man's Biff. Fight over... ish, depending on damage. The priest could also be using Frost Fource to increase damage, for example.

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    Uh.

Just realized they translated Loto's Sword as Erdrick's Sword. I thought ... um...

Well, nevermind.

KiTA on
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    7 turns.

The basic flow:
    Turn 1: Hero uses psyche up. Meredith uses the fan breath reflect ability.
    (Alonso is out of MP and just attacking with a falcon sword for 70 damage a hit, the priest is doing priesty things.)
    Turn 2: Hero uses psyche up. Meredith uses Magic Mirror.
    Turn 3: Hero uses psyche up. Meredith uses forbearance.
    Turn 4+: Hero uses psyche up and hits 100 tension. Meredith uses forbearance.
    Turn X-1: Hero uses double up.
    Turn X: Hero uses Blind Man's Biff, Baramos dies.

Scary thing is, I think this might be faster grinding than off Liquid Metal Slimes. And this way I get mini medals.

My first victory was in 5 turns, but that relied on a lucky coup de grace. At this point I can get a 5-turn kill easily enough, though.

I have two gladiators, one sage, and a mage, all 40-45. The gladiators will just psyche up until they hit full tension. At some point before then, the mage needs to Oomph the gladiators. If needed, she can toss out a quick Caduceus or even do a bit of damage. If my party was a little faster, I might want to cast Acceleratle once or twice, but right now there's no point. The sage just casts multiheal every round; sometimes I try casting Magic Barrier on her first turn, but that can mean falling behind on healing. Once everything's set up, the gladiators both Falcon Slash (one wields an Uber Falcon Blade) which should deal just enough damage to finish Baramos off. (For the record, he has about 6500 HP at level 1.)

The big problem with this is that Baramos can still one-shot anyone but my hero if he chooses to...but honestly, that'd be a problem with any strategy not involving Forebearance. I'm currently leveling the other three as paladins for the passive HP bonus, which should rectify this.

I think this would be my preferred way to grind if I could kill him consistently.

Billmaan on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, does anyone else remember when this game was "going to suck for sure" because it was on the DS? :lol:

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Goo damnit... I wish I had tried my Sage's "Jack's Knack" ability before I temporarily trained everyone else in the party to learn it. >_<

Eh, no real harm done and now they've all got +20 Magical Mending, but still.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited July 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Man, does anyone else remember when this game was "going to suck for sure" because it was on the DS? :lol:

I remember GAF latching onto the belief that because it had a subtitle, it was going to be a cheap sidestory spinoff to help fund the real DQIX for PS3. :rotate:

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited July 2010
    Lunker wrote: »

I remember GAF latching onto the belief that because it had a subtitle, it was going to be a cheap sidestory spinoff to help fund the real DQIX for PS3. :rotate:
    I bet it'll be on two carts!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    Uh.

Just realized they translated Loto's Sword as Erdrick's Sword. I thought ... um...

Well, nevermind.

That's either a stroke of genius, or pretty stupid and silly. I'm not really sure what to think. :)

On the whole, I'm actually not sure what to think of this translation, with all the puns everywhere. Let me preface by saying that I'm all for divergence of translation. If the literal translation doesn't work because of language, then change it to something that does, but still keeps the meaning of the original. Stuff like that. If all these double word plays actually existed in the original, then I'll happily shut up. But I've just got this nagging sensation that they weren't.

Alltrades spoiler:
    Like the whole Jack of Alltrades/ Master of Nu'un. Was there a japanese equivalent pun made with these two? Or was it just Abbot *generic name here* turns into *generic boss name here*? If so, then I'd rather they not try for the joke, no matter how clever it is. I'd prefer a true to the spirit translation, rather than one where you've inserted your own spirit that wasn't there to begin with.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited July 2010
    Got my second pair of boots, might go try for the thief scroll next. Do you have to be a thief for it to work, or can you be another class while having a mastered thief skilltree?

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Goo damnit... I wish I had tried my Sage's "Jack's Knack" ability before I temporarily trained everyone else in the party to learn it. >_<

Eh, no real harm done and now they've all got +20 Magical Mending, but still.

You want everyone to master Sage anyway. -25% to MP costs works on everything that uses mana, even skills. And the + to MP is huge.

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    Why would translating the sword like that be stupid or silly? Erdrick is classic to english-speaking players and also a far better heroic fantasy name than Loto.

Basically Loto is Eggman.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited July 2010
    I will never get people that hate the puns and onomatopoeia spell names and alliteration and everything else.

I just...do you also hate, like, boxes full of puppies?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    One of the post-game quests (optional sidequests available during post game) gets you a map for him.

Pray tell, where does one find that quest ?

quaigy on
    edited July 2010
    Why would translating the sword like that be stupid or silly? Erdrick is classic to english-speaking players and also a far better heroic fantasy name than Loto.

Because when they rereleased the 1-3 games, they retranslated the name to Loto. So... is the name Loto, or are we going back to Erdrick? It's just a matter of internal consistency.

The Wolfman on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    well this isn't a rerelease of DQIX. Maybe when they rerelease DQIX, they'll use the name Loto. :rotate:

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This game pretty much made me think less of every single other developer out there who has been putting out subpar sequels to properties I love.

If DQ IX can do, multiplayer, seamless, turn-based combat, and stay totally true to it's top down RPG roots, while still expanding and improving them, why did fallout 3 change into such an abombination? Why did X-com have to turn into an FPS game, why is deus ex 3 changing the formula so much?

I had a very vivid dream last night about a warren spector / level 5 collaboration, where each town and it's dour story could be transgressed with multiple types of finesse, and lasting consequences. This game is almost begging for something like that, and it could still very easily be true to DQ.

But no, western games can't be top down anymore. RPG mechanics are outdated. Pah. We need more FPS games.

reddeath on
    edited July 2010

Because when they rereleased the 1-3 games, they retranslated the name to Loto. So... is the name Loto, or are we going back to Erdrick? It's just a matter of internal consistency.

I think they just came to their senses.

"What was that other translation team thinking, Loto is a completely alien, non-badass name to english speaking audiences. Fixing it..."
    reddeath wrote: »
    I had a very vivid dream last night about a warren spector / level 5 collaboration, where each town and it's dour story could be transgressed with multiple types of finesse, and lasting consequences.

Haha, awesome.

UncleSporky on
    edited July 2010

I think they just came to their senses.

"What was that other translation team thinking, Loto is a completely alien, non-badass name to english speaking audiences. Fixing it..."

Hmm, probably.

You also have to consider it also potentially kills the whole reference they were going for in the first place. Consider the people who've played through the games, but only from the GB releases on, where the name is Loto. Instead of reading the sword and going "Oh cool! Throwback reference to the guy from the first games!", they go "Who's Erdrick?".

But on the other hand, naming it Erdrick makes all us old fogeys who remember the original games go "Oh cool! Throwback reference to the guy from the first games!".

Guess you can't please everybody. :D

The Wolfman on
    edited July 2010
    Uh.

Well, nevermind.

That's either a stroke of genius, or pretty stupid and silly. I'm not really sure what to think. :)

On the whole, I'm actually not sure what to think of this translation, with all the puns everywhere. Let me preface by saying that I'm all for divergence of translation. If the literal translation doesn't work because of language, then change it to something that does, but still keeps the meaning of the original. Stuff like that. If all these double word plays actually existed in the original, then I'll happily shut up. But I've just got this nagging sensation that they weren't.

Alltrades spoiler:
    Like the whole Jack of Alltrades/ Master of Nu'un. Was there a japanese equivalent pun made with these two? Or was it just Abbot *generic name here* turns into *generic boss name here*? If so, then I'd rather they not try for the joke, no matter how clever it is. I'd prefer a true to the spirit translation, rather than one where you've inserted your own spirit that wasn't there to begin with.
    Alltrades itself is a huge rename. It used to be "Dharma Temple", which is a reference to Buddhism. Sage too, while Sage is a literal translation, the original skilltree had references to Buddhist enlightenment (the very skilltree name was the same as the Japanese word for Buddhist enlightenment, Satori).

But since Americans are apparently too stupid to realize there are religions other than those based on Judaism in the world, they renamed it. It's just as well, they appear to be aiming for a youngish demo with it for some reason (remember, if you were born on the same day DQ1 came out in Japan, you're probably finished with college by now) and the Palins and the Becks of the world would have probably had a fit about a Buddhist reference in a game.

In other news, I decided to just use Masayuki's map to do the Luminarie Quest.

... Those fuckers cast Kamakazie when low on health!

How the hell are you supposed to kill them with a stupid fire spell that does 10 damage ON A CRITICAL!?

KiTA on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If they are dead-set on characters taking limited items into battles, which I am fine with, I want the option to automatically refill select items in select quantities on specific characters. Kingdom hearts 2 did it guys, same company and that was in 2005. It was a slick feature and you can easily do it again!

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
    edited July 2010
    Uh.

Well, nevermind.

Alltrades spoiler:
    Alltrades itself is a huge rename. It used to be "Dharma Temple", which is a reference to Buddhism. Sage too, while Sage is a literal translation, the original skilltree had references to Buddhist enlightenment (the very skilltree name was the same as the Japanese word for Buddhist enlightenment, Satori).

But since Americans are apparently too stupid to realize there are religions other than those based on Judaism in the world, they renamed it. It's just as well, they appear to be aiming for a youngish demo with it for some reason (remember, if you were born on the same day DQ1 came out in Japan, you're probably finished with college by now) and the Palins and the Becks of the world would have probably had a fit about a Buddhist reference in a game.

How the hell are you supposed to kill them with a stupid fire spell that does 10 damage ON A CRITICAL!?
    Or, just throwing out ideas here, Alltrade Abbey fits the alliterative appeal they're aiming at and Dharma Temple doesn't so much.

But, I mean, "Americanz r retard" is a good theory, too.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

When doing the sage quest I noticed that tension also works on spells. I'll probably try the same strategy for this one when I get to it:

Getting 100 tension, lowering magic resistance and using the mage self magic boost.

With that setup my mage was doing over 700 damage with fizzle against the target enemies.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
    edited July 2010
    Speaking of translations: The special guest today on DQVC keeps the localization accent from DQIV!
    "I am Tsarevna Alena of Zamoksva. I am also great warrior who was with victory in the Tourney of Endor. It is pleasure to meet, [Hero]. I know! I give present for to remember our encounter, no?"

I love it! <3

EDIT:
    Goddammit! The dress I got from her is awesome—and equippable on men—but it gives my dude breasts! :lol:

Lunker on
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So does the cameo character just show up after connecting to DQVC, or does something special need to happen? I won't be downloading it until this evening.

Artereis on
    edited July 2010
    Artereis wrote: »
    So does the cameo character just show up after connecting to DQVC, or does something special need to happen? I won't be downloading it until this evening.

Shows up in the royal suites after you connect to DQVC. I got a quick "A very special guest has checked into the Inn" message, then when you take the elevator from the lobby you can choose the room from a menu. I also believe that special guests and quests stay available, so if you don't connect for a few weeks when you go online it opens up all of the stuff you've missed. They're really just free unlock keys anyway.

The DQVC stuff for today was helpful, though, as I could buy two snakeskins; I haven't been able to get any as drops in ages.

Lunker on
    edited July 2010
    The DQVC stuff for today was helpful, though, as I could buy two snakeskins; I haven't been able to get any as drops in ages.
    That's why you teach everyone in your party Half-Inch and never worry about drop rates again. :P

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    That's why you teach everyone in your party Half-Inch and never worry about drop rates again. :P

I really should; I've been meaning to train up the guys for the minor Agility bonus anyway, and my Gladiator of all classes has been surprisingly successful with the few steal attempts I've made in battle.

Lunker on
    edited July 2010
    Uh.

Well, nevermind.

Alltrades spoiler:

Or, just throwing out ideas here, Alltrade Abbey fits the alliterative appeal they're aiming at and Dharma Temple doesn't so much.

Yeah, I know, the Alliterative Appeal is probably part of the reason, but... if there's one thing worse than the puns, it's the Added Alliterative Appeal.

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    Uh.

Well, nevermind.

Alltrades spoiler:

Yeah, I know, the Alliterative Appeal is probably part of the reason, but... if there's one thing worse than the puns, it's the Added Alliterative Appeal.
    I will never get people that hate the puns and onomatopoeia spell names and alliteration and everything else.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    Uh.

Well, nevermind.

Alltrades spoiler:

Don't you mean a Boxer Box? A canine container? A Terrier Trunk? Scooby's Square?

I'm sure there are wittier ones, but I'm tired and this makes my head hurt. :P

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    Puns are the lowest form of comedy, and the eradication of their blight and all that enjoy them would be a net positive on the world.

You know who liked puns?
    adolf-hitler.jpg

The Wolfman on
    edited July 2010
    The sad thing is, some of the puns I really like. But when literally every named character is either a pun or a play on words, it gets a bit tiresome. It's like they're trying too hard, same thing as the accents.

And like the accents, which are actually good now, I'm sure they'll mellow out by the time they finish DQ6/DQMJ2. The rest of the translation is flawless, after all.

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    UncleSporky pointed this out a while ago, but it's a great example of why I love the puns in the recent DQ localizations: It's not just that there are puns, but that they're consistently enforced. Meowgician is chuckleworthy. Clawcerer is a bit of a stretch. But Purrestidigitator is hilarious. It's to the point now where I'm excited about meeting new enemy types because I want to see how they keep the pun-chain going.

Lunker on
    edited July 2010
    Puns are the lowest form of comedy, and the eradication of their blight and all that enjoy them would be a net positive on the world.

You know who liked puns?
    2s18wsi.gif
    Puns are the lowest form of wit, and as such are the foundation of wit.

You know who didn't crack a smile at "Zumeanie"?
    adolf-hitler.jpg

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png