As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Airbending Avatar] Info on the new series, at last!

• ZeeDouglasZeeDouglas Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, it you could pick just ONE cameo from the original series (Except for Aang who's pretty much a given) who would you like to see?

Personaly Sokka's my pick, Toph would be cool but would be too much of a scene stealer. But imagine old man Sokka in the Iroh role... perfect fit. Especially with all the potential white lotus ties he has/had.

ZeeDouglas on
    PSN: ZDouglas
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Azula.

Have I mentioned that I like Azula? Because I do.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Toph. Could give less of a shit if she steals the scene, she damn well deserves it

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Toph's metalbending has already given us the first mech suits.

Also: is there a name for the planet the series takes place on?

THat isn't a mech suit. That's a suit of armor.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • WingoWingo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dunno whether this guy would actually count as a cameo, but Koh the Facestealer should definitely show up again. He's far too awesome, and I'm still a little sad he didn't show up in the original series anymore. He would've been a PERFECT fit for the finale... but, eeeeh, let's not enter fanfiction territory here. :P

I'm curious how this new show will play out. New setting is awesome- the potential is endless! With a teenage hothead as avatar, the whole show might take a different turn: what if the avatar KNOWS she's all powerful, and always tries to smash her enemies with full power- which, of course, won't ever solve her real problems? An avatar learning humility could prove to be very entertaining, especially with an airbender as, well, co-star. Something tells me Aang's son will fall into the "wimpy badass" category... because who doesn't love those?

As for the scenes in which hundreds of mooks are decimated- they always bothered me. Although the action was awesome as hell, I couldn't really enjoy the episode where they outright flatten countless earthbenders. Most battles in the series actually avoid that; the characters never have it easy- except for these mass battles. I don't WANT overly powerful characters...

Wingo on
  • LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aang makes sense being that powerful. He's the Avatar; that's basically his shtick. Toph was introduced as an all-powerful Earthbender. The only one that seemed a bit strange was Katara. She went from a novice to a resourceful master in no time at all. It was a bit jarring.

As for the new series. . .can't wait!

Lynx on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    SkannerJAT wrote: »
    Just finished Book Two. The abilities of the characters is getting pretty nuts, but in an enjoyable way. Are we still spoilering stuff? I know there are people stil on their first run through so I will be safe.
    I know Zuko teams up with Team Avatar at one point so when he actually teamed up with Azula I was genuinely surprised. It was also fun to see Iroh be somewhat of a serious badass. "Do you know why they call me the Dragon of the West?" Was a good bit.

The moment Katara was about to use the spirit water to fix Zukos scar? Was a great scene.

Oh man, Appas little walk about was pretty emotional. Especially with Momo looking for him.

Anyhow, great series. Looking forward to Book Three.

The second scene you mentioned gave birth to a million shippers.

Kyougu on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lynx wrote: »
    Aang makes sense being that powerful. He's the Avatar; that's basically his shtick. Toph was introduced as an all-powerful Earthbender. The only one that seemed a bit strange was Katara. She went from a novice to a resourceful master in no time at all. It was a bit jarring.

Two things she had going for her; one was combat training - she had to figure stuff out quick or she'd be dead. Nothing in the world quite like incentive. The second was that she was teaching everything she learned to Aang at the same time; As almost any teacher will tell you, there are very, very few ways to ensure that you really know your subject than teaching it to someone else - the act of teaching reinforces what you already know and the student's questions force you to re-examine your knowledge from their perspective.

Also, it was never explored properly, but it seems that Katara was some sort of water-bending genius in her own right. I'm pretty sure that Master of the North Tribe never expected her to put up that much of a fight, or even close.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Two things she had going for her; one was combat training - she had to figure stuff out quick or she'd be dead. Nothing in the world quite like incentive. The second was that she was teaching everything she learned to Aang at the same time; As almost any teacher will tell you, there are very, very few ways to ensure that you really know your subject than teaching it to someone else - the act of teaching reinforces what you already know and the student's questions force you to re-examine your knowledge from their perspective.

Also, it was never explored properly, but it seems that Katara was some sort of water-bending genius in her own right. I'm pretty sure that Master of the North Tribe never expected her to put up that much of a fight, or even close.

Also remember that Katara was entirely self-taught before the end of season 1, which is why she wasn't that good at first. And they showed her strong potential all the way back in the first episode when she lost her temper with Sokka.

Cantide on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    New topic!

One thing I hope to see in Korra is an Airbender vs Airbender fight. We seen the previous Monobender fights in Aang's time - Waterbending looking the most cool, IMO - so I'd be interested how Airbenders handle internal disputes. Or even if it's just a sparring match.

RMS Oceanic on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We also never got to see a good airbender vs. waterbender duel.

Qingu on
    edited July 2010
    That's true. We got

Water v Water
    Water v Earth
    Water v Fire
    Earth v Earth
    Earth v Fire
    Earth v Air
    Fire v Fire
    Fire v Air

So only Earth and Fire has got to fight everyone else.

RMS Oceanic on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    at the point Azula showed up with lightning bending, I thought they were gonna do a "combining elements thing"

Fire-bending + Air-bending = Lightning-bending
    Fire-bending + Earth-bending = Metal-bending
    Water-bending + Earth-bending = Plant-bending
    Water-bending + Air-bending = ??

but then they didnt

so...

Joolander on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Joolander wrote: »
    at the point Azula showed up with lightning bending, I thought they were gonna do a "combining elements thing"

Water-bending + Air-bending = Humidity-bending

but then they didnt

so...

pyromaniac221 on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Waterbending + airbending should be icebending.

I think it's unfair that the waterbenders not only get magic healing but also get freezing powers.

Qingu on
    edited July 2010
    But then how are they supposed to brutally murder people? Take away ice shards and you just get stuffing water down someone's mouth until they burst.
    Or maybe sucking all the water out of a person

pyromaniac221 on
    edited July 2010
    Joolander wrote: »

Water-bending + Air-bending = ??

but then they didnt

so...
    I thought it was that every element got to have an "advanced technique" that only a few, or only the dedicated, could learn. Like healing/blood-bending, lightning-bending, and metal-bending. Either Aang never discovered the advanced air-bending thing because he skipped out on his lessons or he mastered it so early and well that he used it like any other technique, on account of being the Avatar, and we never knew it as a "special" trick.
    Possibly it was the air-scooter because he was essentially making air solid, or maybe those air-blades he occasionally whipped out.

Mr_Rose on
  • SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I figured energy bending could be the advanced air technique.

SkannerJAT on
    edited July 2010
    SkannerJAT wrote: »
    I figured energy bending could be the advanced air technique.

Nah, you're talking about something that transcends the elements. That's the Avatar-only power.

Dunno what Airbending could get. Maybe changing the density of atmosphere for some hax soundbending?

RMS Oceanic on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    my favorite power was Tophs Earth surfing

nexuscrawler on
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    wasn't the air scooter something that he invented?

Also having air's super-move be a superviolent attack seems against the very nature of airbending

NeoToma on
    edited July 2010
    what about light bending? I am thinking of Wind crafters from the Codex of Alera series. The wind manipulators could also effect time and light. If he could light bend it would fit with the more passive/defensive direction airbending takes.

SkannerJAT on
    edited July 2010
    They could bend light around themselves
    and be the ultimate spies.

And then stab people all over the place

pyromaniac221 on
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wingo wrote: »
    Dunno whether this guy would actually count as a cameo, but Koh the Facestealer should definitely show up again. He's far too awesome, and I'm still a little sad he didn't show up in the original series anymore. He would've been a PERFECT fit for the finale... but, eeeeh, let's not enter fanfiction territory here. :P

Koh absolutely needs to be in the next series.
    Qingu wrote: »
    But the Dai Li didn't want them to get inside the palace. They wouldn't have mounted a token defense.

I guess in general I have a problem with "four guys totally take down like a hundred dudes" action scenes. Even if it's visually appealing, it always reminds me of how one ninja is a formidable foe but 100 ninjas always end up jump-kicking each other in mid-air as the main character ducks under them.

I think they can be dangerous in terms of having rubber banding levels of power or be silly, but they can work well and while rare, are not unprecedented in real life.

Berserk, while the complete opposite from Avatar is pretty much every way, had a couple excellent ones.
    Cantide wrote: »

Also remember that Katara was entirely self-taught before the end of season 1, which is why she wasn't that good at first. And they showed her strong potential all the way back in the first episode when she lost her temper with Sokka.

Heck, she didn't self-teach, she reinvented it from scratch. She had no teachers, no peers, and one could probably assume no books.

programjunkie on
    edited July 2010
    She had a Waterbending scroll.

Pureauthor on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    But then how are they supposed to brutally murder people? Take away ice shards and you just get stuffing water down someone's mouth until they burst.
    Shit, she was using water as a damn whip at times.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited July 2010
    I liked them using it to cut through stuff. Like when Aang and her were tossing it back and forth cutting through the pylons in the big drill.

SkannerJAT on
  • WazzaWazza Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kama used it to slice a rock, I didn't see it change states.

Wazza on
    edited July 2010
    Actually, remembering the fight with the water-bending master; was Katara learning his moves as he used them or what? I'm pretty sure he busted out a bunch of stuff she'd never used before which she then threw right back at him.

Also, the look on his face when that ice-blade came close enough to cut off his hair; I no longer think he was amazed that she'd learned that move and am now open to the possibility that his thoughts were more along the lines of "holy shit she's actually trying to kill me! All I did was goink her Gram-Grams!"

Mr_Rose on
    edited July 2010
    Fun fact: All bladed implements in the show aim for clothes, unless they are actually blocked and from the angle you can tell that they would have impaled the target in question.

Pureauthor on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Fun fact: All bladed implements in the show aim for clothes, unless they are actually blocked and from the angle you can tell that they would have impaled the target in question.

Well, TV-Y7 and all that.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Pureauthor wrote: »

Well, TV-Y7 and all that.

There were a great many 80's A-Team-style "Grenade flies into vehicle, show badguys leaping clear, vehicle explodes" type shots. Luckily I grew up on 80's A-Team so this was nostalgic rather than stupid.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My favorite Y7 moment of the series is in the finale when you see Piandao using his sword solely to cut off the tips of the fire nation soldiers' spears. He's such a master he doesn't even have to kill them :lol:

That rating is pretty much what neutered Sokka's spacesword. He could never use it because aside from his duel with Piandao, there was really no way for him to get into a non-lethal fight with it. Any mooks with swords or spears would get owned by the benders before they could even draw their weapons.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Elitistb wrote: »
    Why would people hate steam punk? It is a narrative device to do whatever you want to with. How is it any worse than any other magic/supersciencethatisindistinguishablefrommagic?

90% of the time the staff/fan goes overboard with it. As a design choice or a way to indicate the period of time it's based on I'm fine with it.

The avatar world is just into it's industrial revolution They wouldn't have mech suits hell they don't have firearms yet.

Combustion Man had FMA-style prosthetic limbs. A full prosthetic suite would only be a progression of that.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Has Nick ever broadcast a TV-PG cartoon? Maybe LoK could be the test run for that. I know Mike and Bryan wouldn't abuse the rating and anything more violent in the show would be used to advance the characters or plot.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

It'd be a piece of piss for a Waterbender to drown someone.

Brian888 on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Brian888 wrote: »

It'd be a piece of piss for a Waterbender to drown someone.

Just put some water in the lungs and bam. The legend of Korra, the last waterboarder.

Couscous on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Actually, remembering the fight with the water-bending master; was Katara learning his moves as he used them or what? I'm pretty sure he busted out a bunch of stuff she'd never used before which she then threw right back at him.

Also, the look on his face when that ice-blade came close enough to cut off his hair; I no longer think he was amazed that she'd learned that move and am now open to the possibility that his thoughts were more along the lines of "holy shit she's actually trying to kill me! All I did was goink her Gram-Grams!"
    That was the best part of that whole, absolutely amazing fight. Just his reflection in the ice blade, :shock: and then turning to face Katara all O_o

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited July 2010
    When Katara gets pissed she really doesn't fuck around. Remember when Jet showed up in Ba Sing Se? Her first reaction was to hurl a column of water and then she followed up with some icicles for good measure.

Pureauthor on
    edited July 2010
    yeah, Katara is beast.

I am not done yet with the series, but Azula is looking more and more like a push-over power wise. Although I enjoyed seeing her zap Aang. Reminded me of Voltron and Captain Planet and how noone would just fucking kill these people while they "power/form up".

SkannerJAT on
This discussion has been closed.