As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(Doodle) All Night Long (NSFW)

• Options
    LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wasser, the colors on that are so. money.

I have been practicing with my markers this evening. Trying to get comfortable with them so I can churn out on-the-spot drawings at GenCon in a couple weeks.

marker_example-1.png

marker_example-2.png

It's kind of nice to be working in traditional mediums for other than just sketching and scanning. No Ctrl+z!

Lexxy on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    wasser: Really expressive painting! I am digging those colors.

Lexxy: You already know I think those are totes awesome.

Okay final stage of this:

claymoar.jpg

PROX on
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lex: I luurrv your arts.

PROX: It's turned out great!

Mangoes on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lexxingtons: beautiful little portraits. :3 Have you ever heard of Jennifer Wang? Those remind me of her work, which I've always been a huge fan of. You should definitely check her out! :D

NightDragon on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Prox: I don't like the stand the sword is sticking into. I know from the armor that it's supposed to be sticking out the back of an orc or something, but it's becoming a little overworked and unintelligible with all the spiky shapes.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mustang wrote: »

Also your choice of reflected light seems to have no relation to your light sources....red from the light, and purple from the screens, yet everything is reflecting greens. Also your screens are duller than the reflected light.

yeah i agree. it can definately be pushed a lot further and to more accurate lighting. perhaps ill look at some blade runner scenes for light reference

*just to note, i hate that movie, but damn its style looks pretty :)

heres an update of my beach/gunslinger scene. i started with my pencil sketch and have been gradually painting over it digitally. the pencil marks established the main tones/lighting at first, but now they are in the way. i may start erasing them, or just paint directly over it.
    my goal is still to have a crack at this as an oil study, but at the moment im having too much fun developing it in photoshop.

wip.jpg

Lexxy - those are great drawings. I love the style you're working with.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    WCK your values are very poorly arranged. I know you did a sketch of this, but you didn't do a value study, did you? The suns and clouds also leave a lot to be desired. They look really messy and thrown-together.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010

Why is every opinion you have so terrible?

tynic on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    WCK your values are very poorly arranged. I know you did a sketch of this, but you didn't do a value study, did you? The suns and clouds also leave a lot to be desired. They look really messy and thrown-together.

nah i didnt do a 'complete' value study. i did start with establishing my lights and darks, but perhaps adding colour washed out some of the hard contrasts. Im struggling with the sky. Im not too confident with drawing clouds, and im having a difficult time finding a decent reference, rsulting in much of this being done from imagination.
    tynic wrote: »

Why is every opinion you have so terrible?

Example?

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

nah i didnt do a 'complete' value study. i did start with establishing my lights and darks, but perhaps adding colour washed out some of the hard contrasts. Im struggling with the sky. Im not too confident with drawing clouds, and im having a difficult time finding a decent reference, rsulting in much of this being done from imagination.

What type of clouds, exactly, are you looking for? Clouds always seemed to be extremely easy for me to find reference for. Flickr is a good alternative to GIS, I've found.

And I'm not referring to your value range. I'm referring to how your values are arranged. Those are two different things! It's not that your "lights aren't light enough" or your "darks aren't dark enough".

You've got a lot of middle value, everywhere. There is no sense of depth (i.e., atmospheric perspective)...the mountain in the back is the same value as the trees right in front of it...and the same value as the rock the guy is leaning against. Stuff in the background should generally be lighter. And why is the bush/fern/whatever casting a darker shadow on the sand than that guy? The centers of your suns are the same value as the sand they're supposed to be shining on. Your shadows are all over the place, and don't seem to have the same light source(s). Even if it's just a quick, rough paintover (of this image in black and white), I really think you need a value study before you further complicate things with color (which I could also talk about, here, but I think the main issue you've got right now, that can be tackled, would be your values).

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    ahh i get what you're saying.

Damn, i know that shit, why havnt i been considering it!
    thanks for the critique/advice. reckon i'd be better off starting again? its not like ive invested too many hours into this. 3 hrs digital colour is nothing compared to the 10+ hrs i spent on the pencil sketch.

EDIT: actually yes. i think a startover is the best thing.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Prox: I don't like the stand the sword is sticking into. I know from the armor that it's supposed to be sticking out the back of an orc or something, but it's becoming a little overworked and unintelligible with all the spiky shapes.

thanks for the feedback scos. What should I do?

PROX on
  • Options
    LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanks guys! ND, I think I've seen her stuff before! I'll give it a closer look when I get home, it's pretty awesome.

Lexxy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I just realised my website has been missing from my profile for quite some time.

PROX on
  • Options
    RockwaterRockwater Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Some commentary in uber-small text so you have to squint to make it out:

wip.jpg

Rockwater on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's not really helping anyone because it hurts to read it.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's from the Dark Tower series and I think the cartridges are laid out because he's trying to dry them, if I remember the book correctly. Also the reason for the giant lobsters.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah if you want to write comments on the picture you should do it bigger, like this:

avocadoerrors.png
    :lol:

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    lyrium wrote: »
    Yeah if you want to write comments on the picture you should do it bigger, like this:

avocadoerrors.png
    :lol:
    © CapnMango 2010, All Rights Reserved.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    Mr PocketsMr Pockets Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hahhahaha, nice capnmango, as well I agree, make your text far more obvious so it can be understood, who cares if you cover things, you are suggesting changes anyways....

Mr Pockets on
    FC DS:1590 1312 9126
    artbydanger.com
    andrewdickinger.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Rockwater wrote: »
    Some commentary in uber-small text so you have to squint to make it out:

[IMG]http://pics.gameparadigm.org/temp/wip.jpg[/ IMG][/img]

CHeers mate! As hard as it was to read, all good points.
    In regards to some of the 'errors' regarding the ocean colour/sky colour relation and the lack of double shadows from the sun, i guess i could use the excuse that im not exactly going for 100% realistic. Though that would be a pretty bad copout on my part :) lets put that down to my lack of planning and thinking, which i guess reminds me of ND's point on doing a tonal study before investing time into the final.
    The lobsters are meant to be big-ass ones, about 3 meters long.
    That tree which looks too big is in the foreground, just meters away from the gunslinger. (*i thought that was clear, but perhaps it needs re-positioning)
    Good point on more elements indicating scale.

cheers bro.

You don't like pepsi? shame on you!!!

Also, im referencing Castaway a little! Really good for camera angles,

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    PROX wrote: »
    Scosglen wrote: »

thanks for the feedback scos. What should I do?

I'd say up the volume(and/or make the bones more "rib-like") of the base a bit and maybe make it more evident that the other swords are in fact their own objects

Also i dont know if that one dot in the black background is on purpose, but it really draws the eye away so that i keep re-viewing the sword as something new.
    its pretty ingenious if done on purpose

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ugh i suck at lady drawing

ladynatek.png

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I still think the nose is above-average in size.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    I know the pose is unbalanced but fuck it.
    swordguard.jpg

Character doodles based off of semi-random pencil strokes, just trying to come up with ideas.
    shapedoodles.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Very nice, Bacon! I like the mage guy on the second row as well.

F87 on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lexxy those portraits are really, really nice. I'm amazed when people get results like that from markers. I bought a bunch of prismacolor pens ages ago thinking maybe expensive markers are easier to use. Nope, I'm just a chump.

What do you draw on with them? Like, do you use really thick paper? I always have a problem with the colour bleeding, or the paper breaking apart.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hey F87, when are you gonna post some of your new tablet doodlin's?

Mangoes on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well, work is keeping me busy, especially since I'm still getting used to all this tablet space and hotkeys I now have.

I really want to do something personal and cool though. Maybe at lunch I can.

Mango, we should fucking OpenCanvas or whatever it is you kids use these days. Whatcha think?

F87 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sounds fucking great is what I think.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I know the pose is unbalanced but fuck it.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Why do you say it's unbalanced? Do you mean her weight isn't centred or the composition is uneven?

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think her boob-plate is really weird, bacon. They look very low and rotund, even for big boobies (like, theyre starting to wrap around into her ampit area and are all the way down to her waist. Theyre also asymmetrical, as her left one is flatter). And as an armor plate, having cleavage just seems redundant and looks odd. A simple convex brestplate would look much better, in my opinion.

But I'm biased against boob armor.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mango and I had a fun OC session just now. We should think about starting up an OC thread again...it worked perfectly with Hamachi.

mangofrank.png

F87 on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    McGibs wrote: »
    I think her boob-plate is really weird, bacon. They look very low and rotund, even for big boobies (like, theyre starting to wrap around into her ampit area and are all the way down to her waist. Theyre also asymmetrical, as her left one is flatter). And as an armor plate, having cleavage just seems redundant and looks odd. A simple convex brestplate would look much better, in my opinion.

But I'm biased against boob armor.

I agree with Mr. Gibs here. Currently the breasts look very round. I'm not anti an ample bosom but they seem more like inflated balloons than breasts.

Plus, yes, boob armor is silly.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh shit bacon the lighting on that is really damn nice

Kochikens on
  • Options
    ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Revised the boob armor- I didn't really want the whole 'giant metal tits lol' look in the first place, it just kinda came out that way because of lazy rendering. I suppose it still not being totally unisex could still qualify this as "boob armor", but hopefully it looks more like a thick metal plate that probably has lot of padding and clothing inbetween it and boobflesh, rather than having it look like they're right up against each other.
    swordguard2.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Revised the boob armor- I didn't really want the whole 'giant metal tits lol' look in the first place, it just kinda came out that way because of lazy rendering. I suppose it still not being totally unisex could still qualify this as "boob armor", but hopefully it looks more like a thick metal plate that probably has lot of padding and clothing inbetween it and boobflesh, rather than having it look like they're right up against each other.

I think the bewbrmor needs some kind of addition to it, like that blue section on the helm

XAL on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't know what the previous drawings looked like (they're little x's to me) but the chest armor still looks kinda awkward. Reminds me of this, actually. It's also kind of odd that the waist is as tiny as it is, while things like the calves, thighs, and feet are huge.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Um. It still looks kind of bulbous and tumescent. And uncomfortable - no matter how it's designed, that plate's going to cut right into her ribcage under her tits when she moves. If it had more of a gradual taper, it would look a) more comfortable, and b) more insectile, which I think would work with the faceplate thing you've got going on.

edit: by the way, boobs can actually squish down comfortably to a certain degree. I'd rather have mine slightly compressed than getting in the way of me moving my arms - 'roomy' boob armour really isn't necessary.

tynic on
This discussion has been closed.