As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mini-Phalla]: Earth Defense Fleet No. 3 - GAME OVER. VILLAGE VICTORY.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, focus fire on the Phalla. The Piet should use her Ion Cannon hopefully to disable the Phalla's weapons. Everybody should load torpedoes to their maximum allotment so they can all be fired next turn if one of the Venusians gets to long range.

The question is about combat manuevers. I think the Williams and the Cain should close to point blank with the Phalla to bring their damage to bear. The Piet should stay medium to the Phalla to cover the closers with her Ion Cannon. What about the Khan and the Chief? Stay medium with the Phalla? Move on to the next ship?

Obviously we must assume all internal communications are compromised. All actions should be discussed in thread.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ringo is right. The OP says that there's at least one infiltrator on every ship. Until we start axing some Venutians there's no reason to try and make our plans in secret. At least in a general way we can discuss them in public.

Rolesharing is probably fine too, but not really important. Powersharing is not okay unless completely necessary, particularly if you're some kind of special. Presumably the mafia will not start with info about their shipmates' powers.

Teucrian on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited July 2010
    Point blank range allows for boarding and disallows weapons fire. Is there any reason we should want this?

Shushnik on
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Chief should probably stay medium range for now against the phallia but I think focus firing on it with all guns is a good idea. Any weapon that deals 1-6 damage will deal next to nothing to the shields though. Some ships have good quality point blank weapons so If we can disable the shields they can rake the enemy ships with their close guns.

This could be over in 6 days or less if we focus fire, here is to hoping it is that easy.

Also, can a weapon be fired more the once a day?

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hmm, it seems that it'd make more sense for the Cain to fall back to long range, seeing as the torpedoes do more damage than her main guns. Also, since most things on the Cain hit more than one target, are any other venetian ships next to the Phalla?

Farangu on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=15868233&postcount=128

All ships are at medium range to each other

Since torps & guns can be used at medium, all helmsmen should attempt to stay at medium range with the Phallia and we should fire everything we have at it today. The Cain & Williams, with weaker primary guns, may want to move around.

Secondary targets (if you must pick another ship) should go to the Labius.

I suspect, since we have quad targetting weapons, that we're going to be dealing with fighters and stuff from the hostiles eventually.

Phyphor on
  • Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Should we assume that the roles for each ship are generally the same? Captain, tactical, etc?

Oh, and adventfalls cause of RNG, and cause i haven't talked to him in ages :(

Hippie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    When a weappn can hit 'Up to four targets' does that mean it can hit the same target four times?

Assuming the answer is Yes, then the Cain and the Williams deal more damage with their point blank guns than anything else. The three other ships are weaker at point blank range and should try to maintain medium distance from their targets. Torpedoes work at medium distance as far as I am aware so letting a ship get away to Long distance merely prevents you from using your main cannons.

Ringo on
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    MegatinMegatin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ringo wrote: »
    When a weappn can hit 'Up to four targets' does that mean it can hit the same target four times?

Assuming the answer is Yes, then the Cain and the Williams deal more damage with their point blank guns than anything else. The three other ships are weaker at point blank range and should try to maintain medium distance from their targets. Torpedoes work at medium distance as far as I am aware so letting a ship get away to Long distance merely prevents you from using your main cannons.

That's pretty much my take on it. Long distance might be good if a ship has taken a pounding and needs to repair, though. It depends on the torpedo strength of the bad guys though, I guess.

RNG gives me romanqwerty. Who am I to disagree with the RNG?

(Yay! I can rhyme!)

Megatin on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Uh, I think you're forgetting the torpedoes and hit mods in that calculation ringo

Phyphor on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Guys, just a heads-up: a couple of folks have sent in their orders without an accompanying die roll. Remember:

When you go to do stuff, you'll roll a d20, add a modifier to it and compare it against a target number.

The modifier you use should be listed in the PM I sent you.

I'll the roll the die for anyone who sends in an order without a roll by the day's end, so it's no biggie; it's just been my experience that most folks like to make their own rolls.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well, that's how it worked in the previous game with a similar mechanic.

Do all questions for the Encyclopedia need to be sent via PM?

Yes, please send your Encyclopedia questions in via PM. That way I won't frustrate people by missing questions, the thread getting too chaotic, etc.
    Is that 0900 (9 AM) or 2100 (9 pm)?

9:00 PM
    Also, can a weapon be fired more the once a day?

Yes.

No.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't think the Cain going into close range is what we want then. We would do AT MOST 1 point of damage. Plus risk being boarded/bombarded. Of course. This could just be self-preservation speaking.

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    MegatinMegatin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Ender wrote: »
    Well, that's how it worked in the previous game with a similar mechanic.

Do all questions for the Encyclopedia need to be sent via PM?

Yes, please send your Encyclopedia questions in via PM. That way I won't frustrate people by missing questions, the thread getting too chaotic, etc.

Are the replies also private, or will the question and answer be shared with the thread?

Megatin on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Are the replies also private, or will the question and answer be shared with the thread?

Shared in the thread with the end of the day narration.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Also, just as a baseline re: the TNs you're trying to hit, you'll always want at least a 14 or better. If you roll a 13 or lower, you've definitely failed whatever you were trying to do.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Guys, just a heads-up: a couple of folks have sent in their orders without an accompanying die roll. Remember:

When you go to do stuff, you'll roll a d20, add a modifier to it and compare it against a target number.

I'll the roll the die for anyone who sends in an order without a roll by the day's end, so it's no biggie; it's just been my experience that most folks like to make their own rolls.

so.... is there a program you want us to use or do you really want me to go get a D20, roll it on my desk and then PM you the number?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    FrostMistFrostMist NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

so.... is there a program you want us to use or do you really want me to go get a D20, roll it on my desk and then PM you the number?
    from the OP;

Use Orokos or Invisible Castle to do your rolling.

FrostMist on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tha_Anonymous for potential self preservation.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What self-preservation?

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think i got two votes and i can see that starting to grow and tumble.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Also it's a little early for self-preservation. We've got another 26? hours to go

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Its never too early

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Also it's a little early for self-preservation. We've got another 26? hours to go
    27. But yeah, self-preservation is kind of pointless this early in the day.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Its never too early
    That's what she said.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    27. But yeah, self-preservation is kind of pointless this early in the day.
    Why? Haven't you noticed that the more votes someone has, the more chance others will vote for them.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wildcat wrote: »
    I knew it!

Also, it has been far too long since I have been able to say it, but hi !abotkin!

Ah, it has indeed been far too long !Wildcat. You missed a prime opportunity with the Vanilla micro that just finished a day or two ago, I won as mafia.

Are the only actions we can perform those spelled out in role PMs?

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Tied for second with two isn't exactly that big of a deal though

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Tied for second with two isn't exactly that big of a deal though

Were you there for the game i got day 1'd by about 8 people "RNG" me?

Forgive me for being paranoid. Plus its day 1, not like i have anyone better to vote.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    abotkin wrote: »
    Wildcat wrote: »
    I knew it!

Also, it has been far too long since I have been able to say it, but hi !abotkin!

Ah, it has indeed been far too long !Wildcat. You missed a prime opportunity with the Vanilla micro that just finished a day or two ago, I won as mafia.

Are the only actions we can perform those spelled out in role PMs?

Well, you can also vote. And discuss things.

Don't forget about the Encyclopedia Galactica!

The players may also want to make use of the Encyclopedia Galactica, a computer database that can provide some valuable intelligence / game hints. The captain of each ship may request one piece of intelligence from the database each day – so the crew of each ship might want to discuss what they want the captain to ask the computer (stupid questions, like, “WHO IS MAFIA?” will not return valuable information. Try to ask flavorful, specific questions).

Be sure to harass your captain to ask whatever question is eating you away inside.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Okay so point blank guns suck balls. I see no reason to ever close to point blank or go to long range.

t Phyphor, Forgetting torpedos how?

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    2d10 with a +2 to hit generally outperforms 4d6

Phyphor on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited July 2010
    Ringo wrote: »
    Okay so point blank guns suck balls. I see no reason to ever close to point blank or go to long range.

t Phyphor, Forgetting torpedos how?

I knew that, but I guess that's why I'm the captain. :D

Shushnik on
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, it also depends on who you get to do the firing. For example, if the Tac officer has a +8 on rolls, a +10 vs a DC 14 works pretty well...

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Do we know the hit is only DC14 though? That seems a little low

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Do we know the hit is only DC14 though? That seems a little low

14 is the minimum you need to make on any roll. Many checks will need higher rolls.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    2d10 with a +2 to hit generally outperforms 4d6

Not true (I think). Assuming a 14 required to hit and a base bonus of +8.

2d10(+2Hit) hit has an expected damage of 8.8, while 4d6 has an expected damage of 9.8

Edit: even with the case of a DC 20, the expected damages are still 6.6 and 7 respectively.

Edit 2: It isn't until a DC 23 (or [DC- Base bonus] of 15) that the 2d10 starts winning out)..

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm assuming a much lower to-hit though. If we have base 70% to-hit this ends way too quick. Also I seem to have messed up my average calculation so they met around 50 instead of at 36.6%

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm assuming a much lower to-hit though. If we have base 70% to-hit this ends way too quick.

Not when Torpedos aren't being loaded or one ship is firing at an ally or a ship is being moved into point blank range for boarding.

Personally i imagine the [DC-base bonus] to be around 50%.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Eh, well the raw ready-to-fire damage of our torpedoes this instant is

13 + 107 @ +2 + 13 @ +4*

If we assume base 50% chance then it's 82

That seems like a lot without having to load or fire the lasers at all or including any situational bonuses which are attached to some of them

*Under the assumption that a single torpedo of the "attacks up to X ships" variety will actually attack X ships, instead of one per ship and launching multiple

Phyphor on