As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    reddeath wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    reddeath wrote: »
    Yeah I think my terminology is wrong. I'm not talking about like in the tales games where you start with all your stuff and get more grade or whatever. Just the ability to start a new game without erasing the old game. Which I suppose is pretty much the same as a gripe for not having extra slots.

The idea in DQ9 is to not start a new game though. There is supposed to be a ton of after-main-plot content, almost MMO-like.

Definately. I've been getting almost a dungeon hack vibe from doing the grottos multiplayer. Basically playing through a DQ singleplayer campaign co-op, then delving into a roguelike-light co-op, withered any and all motivation I have to bitch about not being able to start over.

Besides, the reincarnation thing makes it easy enough to re-introduce progression if you've maxed your favorite class.

It's a damned shame DQMJ2 doesn't have the grotto system.

... Does DQMJ2 have the grotto system? I haven't heard it, I heard that instead of Treasure Maps, Tag Mode causes a random monster from DQ9 to appear on your screen in DQMJ2, and you get a chance to capture them. (They aren't normally available in DQMJ2 otherwise).

The neat thing is the gobsmackingly amazing success of the grotto system in DQ9 means that:

A. It'll be in DQ10, which is going to be on the Wii
    B. Other companies will rip it off.

Edit: I was looking into why the hell my Luminaries were taking so long to level up. To reach 99, a Warrior needs Just over 433k XP. To reach 99, a Luminary needs almost 520K. I'm NOT crazy, this is slow as hell!

KiTA on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This game's total content, by the way, is around 1/4 main story, 3/4 expanded post game material.

I don't know if this is true. Having recently beaten the game, I have 54% of the items, 22% of the wardrobe (and I'm sure I could've done better if I tried), more than 75% of every alchemy recipe available, and 72% of the monsters defeated. It's true that there are a lot of simple quests and you can generate a near-infinite number of random dungeons, but that sort of content is significantly less meaty/appealing than the main game.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This game's total content, by the way, is around 1/4 main story, 3/4 expanded post game material.

I don't know if this is true. Having recently beaten the game, I have 54% of the items, 22% of the wardrobe (and I'm sure I could've done better if I tried), more than 75% of every alchemy recipe available, and 72% of the monsters defeated.

How the hell did you have 75%+ of the Alchenomicon? I have 23% right now, and I've found several post-story. The other numbers are pretty much in line with mine, but I don't think that one is possible without outside assistance or incredibly lucky guessing.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Vyolynce wrote: »

I don't know if this is true. Having recently beaten the game, I have 54% of the items, 22% of the wardrobe (and I'm sure I could've done better if I tried), more than 75% of every alchemy recipe available, and 72% of the monsters defeated.

How the hell did you have 75%+ of the Alchenomicon? I have 23% right now, and I've found several post-story. The other numbers are pretty much in line with mine, but I don't think that one is possible without outside assistance or incredibly lucky guessing.

Just as a random suggestion, did you go back and check the bookshelf behind the locked door in Coffinwell? You get four pages of recipes from that.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Isn't the Alchenomicon based on what recipies you've completed?

KiTA on
  • Options
    gnodabgnodab Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jothki wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Just as a random suggestion, did you go back and check the bookshelf behind the locked door in Coffinwell? You get four pages of recipes from that.

Speaking of which, isn't there some guide floating around that lists all the doors that can be unlocked with the ultimate key?

I just do not have the patience to go back through the entire game with a comb and my short term memory is pretty bad

gnodab on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    Isn't the Alchenomicon based on what recipies you've completed?

Yes. The % in the corner is how many you've actually made. I just went through every page and I've got about 75% of the recipes filled in (not ???).

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm getting a nice Monster Hunter vibe from alchemy. Getting a bunch of recipes at once, some of which you can make immediately while others build off of those using components you don't have yet, works so well. As do the generic iron-steel-gigasteel and silver-gold-platinum upgrade paths.

In comparison, alchemy in DQ8 was pretty much just a bunch of random shit with no particular pattern.

jothki on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok so I just finished AllTrades Abby and am on several side quests now to unlock the advanced classes. I also job-changed my main character from Minstrel to Warrior. The party is all level 17 except for my main who is now level 1.

Is there a good way to quickly bring my main character back up to snuff?

Also, another question: Anyone have some advice on how to start quickly unlocking the advanced jobs? I'm particularly interested in Paladin and I'm also possibly interested in Luminary although I don't really know much about it.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Metal slime
    all the time

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Ok so I just finished AllTrades Abby and am on several side quests now to unlock the advanced classes. I also job-changed my main character from Minstrel to Warrior. The party is all level 17 except for my main who is now level 1.

Is there a good way to quickly bring my main character back up to snuff?

Also, another question: Anyone have some advice on how to start quickly unlocking the advanced jobs? I'm particularly interested in Paladin and I'm also possibly interested in Luminary although I don't really know much about it.

Equip the gear available to you. Watch as your level 1 character is surprisingly effective.

jothki on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ohh man being able to switch jobs in the field is sooooo much better than having to go to the abbey.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Two quick questions:

1) Forbearance has to be reapplied every round for it to work, right?

2) In that video a few pages back, what were the characters using to get 4 hits? Was it a Falcon Sword w/ the Falcon Blade ability?

This game is addictive. I finally got to the LMS grind spot in the Bowhole last night and I was up until almost 7AM leveling my characters. I'm probably imagining things but LMS's seem to stick around longer than regular Metal Slimes in that dungeon near Coffinwell.

HeraldS on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    4 Thieves = Ahhhh. That solved my snakeskin problem.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Does anyone have that map from the previous thread about the world map resource locations?

Also, I really wish they'd either automatically put markers or be able to put your own markers on the world map. My memory isn't what it used to be. :(

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Does anyone have that map from the previous thread about the world map resource locations?

Also, I really wish they'd either automatically put markers or be able to put your own markers on the world map. My memory isn't what it used to be. :(
    Here ya go

The map itself has a type of marker. Most gather points are kind of obvious. Either they're off at the edges of a landmass or the surrounding area is colored differently than the rest, or they're on an otherwise obviously suspect landmass. Once you notice it, it's a lot easier to spot where other points are. :)

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    HeraldS wrote: »
    Two quick questions:

1) Forbearance has to be reapplied every round for it to work, right?

2) In that video a few pages back, what were the characters using to get 4 hits? Was it a Falcon Sword w/ the Falcon Blade ability?

This game is addictive. I finally got to the LMS grind spot in the Bowhole last night and I was up until almost 7AM leveling my characters. I'm probably imagining things but LMS's seem to stick around longer than regular Metal Slimes in that dungeon near Coffinwell.

1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Yes

KiTA on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    O_O

I just remembered there is a locked door in my ship.

The contents of the chest inside ...
    Falcon Blade!

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    harvest wrote: »
    O_O

Falcon Blade!
    There's one in the Observatory, too.
    Orichalcum and Goddess Ring. The Goddess Ring restores MP as you're walking around

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I picked this up earlier. I'm just leveling up a bit (currently level 7) and now slimes are running away from me. Come back, slimes! I want to hit you with my sword!

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    harvest wrote: »
    O_O

Falcon Blade!
    There's one in the Observatory, too.
    Orichalcum and Goddess Ring. The Goddess Ring restores MP as you're walking around

O.O Which Key is this?

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The ultimate key.

I've just unlocked the Happy-Go-Lucky accolade .. at 2222 fights.

quaigy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    New damage record -- 7159, against Atlas.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    This thread is incredibly hyperactive. Every post is from someone at a different point in the game with a different experience level on a different subject!

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Will alchemizing the ascetic robe or fizzle-retardant suit prevent me from getting any costume accolades?

jothki on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, how does one connect to DQVC when they're unsure of the Wi-Fi status? I mean, I KNOW I don't have Wi-fi at home, but I know it's active (and should be open) at work. I tried to connect to DQVC at work, and no dice.

Should I just like, walk into a random Starbucks and connect or is there some setting on my DS I have to set, or when I'm on the main DQIX screen after turning on the game and fiddle with some setting?

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited July 2010
    So, how does one connect to DQVC when they're unsure of the Wi-Fi status? I mean, I KNOW I don't have Wi-fi at home, but I know it's active (and should be open) at work. I tried to connect to DQVC at work, and no dice.

Should I just like, walk into a random Starbucks and connect or is there some setting on my DS I have to set, or when I'm on the main DQIX screen after turning on the game and fiddle with some setting?

You have to set the DS to connect to the particular network.

jothki on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well here's the thing about wi-fi with the DS. From what I can tell, if to connect to the network you have to go through a type of log-in screen, it won't work. For instance at a hotel you probably have to click through a screen that says "Welcome to *Hotel Name*!". I think Starbucks does that too, and when I went searching for wi-fi with a different game that wasn't working I could never connect.

And also yes, you have to set it up to that network. Before you load your file go to Nintendo WFC settings on the menu.

Gilder on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Starbucks has actually been the only place I've been able to connect successfully. Wi-Fi is free there now, so you shouldn't have any problems if you have a DSi, because you need you use the browser to connect first and click OK to whatever AT&T wifi connection terms. If you don't have a DSi, you'll need to find a 100 percent open connection, or something that's only WEP-encrypted; the DS doesn't handle WPA at all.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I just got an awesome accolade. My MC is now Flarr, Prince of Posers.

quaigy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    quaigy wrote: »

Okay. How the heck did you get that one? Also. I have loads of Ranger gear...but no ranger...

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lunker wrote: »

Starbucks has actually been the only place I've been able to connect successfully. Wi-Fi is free there now, so you shouldn't have any problems if you have a DSi, because you need you use the browser to connect first and click OK to whatever AT&T wifi connection terms. If you don't have a DSi, you'll need to find a 100 percent open connection, or something that's only WEP-encrypted; the DS doesn't handle WPA at all.

Yeah, no DSi here, just the DS Lite. I connected to it once waaay back when I was collecting Friend Mail for the FF3 remake to get the Mooglenet quests complete, but haven't used it since.

So theoretically I should just be able to walk into a Starbucks or my workplace, and connect to the network first through the WFC settings? I'd really rather not miss out on some of these weekly cameo things, cause I know if I do, I'll start to lose interest in the game once I beat it, but don't have all the good post-game stuff available.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited July 2010

Okay. How the heck did you get that one? Also. I have loads of Ranger gear...but no ranger...

Prince of Posers

Presented to Flarr for not being afraid to look good, and sporting only the vainest of vestments.

I had over 330 style at that point, so i guess that where it came from.

quaigy on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Most McDonalds in the US have free Wifi that works natively with the DS, any DS.

Used to pop into one for shitty fries and play MK DS, especially the summer after release when my power went out for a week.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Anyone know an easier way to get sorcerer's stone other than randomly in blue chests or the DQVC?

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I went to the mall/movies with DQIX in Tag Mode but I didn't get any guests. :(

Taya on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How do I get to the bowhole? I've been there once and have no idea how I did it.

Algertman on
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Prince of Posers

Presented to Flarr for not being afraid to look good, and sporting only the vainest of vestments.

I had over 330 style at that point, so i guess that where it came from.

According to the guide, you get that one for wearing specific equipment. There are two choices per slot, and I'm too lazy to list them all...but for example a halberd, dragon shield, mighty armlet, and the full set of dragon warrior's gear will do it.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Elin wrote: »
    Anyone know an easier way to get sorcerer's stone other than randomly in blue chests or the DQVC?

Uncurse a skull ring, I think?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    This might interest some of you : solutions for 95 out of 120 quests.

quaigy on