As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quick Q: How do I put on cologne?

UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Never used it before and I have no idea how to. It's a spray bottle. This is gonna sound weird but specifics are needed. In fact, the more specific you are, the more helpful it is to me. Thank you!

Underdog on

• CathodeCathode Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have no idea whether my method constitutes "normality" or what you may have, but I just spray once or twice on my wrists, rub them together and then rub my cheeks/jawline with my wrists. After all, subtlety is the name of the game, you're trying to suggest an idea that you're a fastidious person, not that you bathe in cologne :D Hope this works for you.

Cathode on
    "There is enough light to enlighten the elect, and enough darkness to humble them."
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Underdog wrote: »
    Never used it before and I have no idea how to. It's a spray bottle. This is gonna sound weird but specifics are needed. In fact, the more specific you are, the more helpful it is to me. Thank you!

If you must, VERY SPARINGLY.

VERY SPARINGLY.

Slight spritz on the ONE wrist. PUT COLOGNE AWAY. Rub wrists together. Rub one wrist on a pulse point on your neck.

Done.

Honestly, look into a nice smelling body wash or something. You'll be much better off.

Esh on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    cologne should be smellable if they are like 8 inches close to you

and a vague hint if you walk past someone

that is IT

if your cologne is smellable 5 feet away, you fucked it up bad

Raneados on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i don't do my wrists, usually i put a few dabs into my palms and do the neck/jaw/just slightly behind ear thing and then wash my hands

Raneados on
  • UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Awesome, super quick replies.

Wedding is tomorrow (not my wedding but some of the bridesmaid are cute, hence the extra effort) so I can't jump out now for a body wash. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Ok so it seems I'll probably hit my wrist with one full spray, rub on other wrist and hit the neck, jaw and ear thing (all three?). Does this sound good?

Underdog on
    edited July 2010
    is it a spritz bottle or is it a sustained spray bottle?

does it go psst psst psst in a burst every time you press it or is it an aerosol sustained stray like an air freshener or axe can or something

Raneados on
    edited July 2010
    The first one. One press, one spritz. Holding it down does nothing.

Underdog on
    edited July 2010
    couple of spritzes onto one wrist, rub onto other wrist, rub into jawline and neck

remember it's supposed to be a hint, an enticing aroma, it's a smell that often is very full of alcohol, and thus why it's often musky, pungent, and overpowering if too much is used, it's supposed to waft and give just the HINT of a smell to anyone who gets intimately close to you

it's supposed to subtly and unnoticeably grab attention

Raneados on
    edited July 2010
    I fear overpowering so I'll interpret "couple of spritzes" as 2. I too have been near people who don't know how to use cologne so I wanted to avoid the pitfalls.

Underdog on
    edited July 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    couple of spritzes onto one wrist, rub onto other wrist, rub into jawline and neck

remember it's supposed to be a hint, an enticing aroma, it's a smell that often is very full of alcohol, and thus why it's often musky, pungent, and overpowering if too much is used, it's supposed to waft and give just the HINT of a smell to anyone who gets intimately close to you

it's supposed to subtly and unnoticeably grab attention

One. Less is more.

Especially at a wedding where everyone is going to be really close.

Esh on
  • TheDragonTheDragon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Definately only do one spritz. It will be strong enough. You only want people to subtly notice it, not have it break their concentration.

Sounds like everyone here does it on the wrist first. When I put it on, I lift my head and point the nozzle just above my adams apple, spray once, then use my wrists to rub it along my jaw line and behind my ears. I figure that way majority of cologne is around my neck, and small amount on my wrists.

TheDragon on
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is cologne the same as perfume? Because the way women apply perfume is to spray it in the air and shimmy into it.

Taya on
  • oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, the actual cologne itself may be strong or may be very weak. However as others have said, err on the side of caution. One or two sprays is plenty of a decent cologne for an intimate occasion where you'll probably be sweaty anyway.

Just want to add one thing since it's been brought up a few times- rubbing the skin actually damages the scent. Most people wouldn't care and maybe you don't either but just as a note, if you ever get a nice bottle of cologne, just spray and allow to dry. At most, press your wrists together if you need to. Rubbing significantly changes the scent to an experienced nose and for something expensive, its worth getting the real experience. Not a pressing issue for the wedding I'm sure but just throwing it out there.

onceling on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Taya wrote: »
    Is cologne the same as perfume? Because the way women apply perfume is to spray it in the air and shimmy into it.

Yes. Typically, cologne is the word used when talking about male perfume.

I've never seen anyone put perfume on like that though. Like... do you limbo into it? Or do you just let it go all in your hair?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Figgy wrote: »

I've never seen anyone put perfume on like that though. Like... do you limbo into it? Or do you just let it go all in your hair?

Hair is actually an excellent place to spray, it holds all scents much better than our skin in many cases. People that do this will either close their eyes and walk into it, or spray at chest level and step into the spray.

EDIT: Sometimes clothed, because clothing like hair will hold the scent better. Although I'm sure not always.

onceling on
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Here's my method for making sure I don't overdo it:

I take my shirt off, spray one spray of cologne in front of me, and then I walk into it.

Simple but I'm told it's effective.

Zenitram on
  • mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Don't rub your wrists together.

I'd spray one or two around your neck and that's it. Spraying once and walking into it is also good.

mooshoepork on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd spray one or two around your neck and that's it.

Depending on which scent you're wearing and what type it is (Eau de parfum, Eau de toilette etc...) you will need to apply different amounts.

Rane has the best of it - you should waft ever so slightly when you walk past someone. If they have to be 1/8th of an inch away from you to smell anything, what's the point of wearing it in the first place, inversely, making the eyes of the people in the next room water is not a good way to be.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Figgy wrote: »

I think girls usually do that when they're using "body mist" or "body spray", which is much, much less potent than perfume. That's generally what I do if I use body spray/mist, but if it's perfume I do much the same of what's been suggested here...put it on "heat" points, and only one spritz...inner wrists, back of the ears, whathaveyou.

NightDragon on
    edited July 2010
    also yes it depends heavily on the smell

Raneados on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Don't rub your wrists together.

I'd spray one or two around your neck and that's it. Spraying once and walking into it is also good.

Close your eyes. I did this the other night and almost blinded myself.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I spritz it on to my chest and then rub it around with my wrists. It seems to give it a much 'closer' smell and I can easily tell how strong it is. Most of the cologne/perfume I use is relatively mild (since it's dude perfume) so it varies -- one I do 3 squirts, one I do like 6 because it's so mild.

I think the "guys who reek of cologne" are historically smokers, since I've noticed it less and less among younger males.

I work with a young woman who does perfume reviews online and she's told me that I'm never overpowering and she can only smell that I have anything on if she's within a couple feet of me, and that then it's only a hint. It's going to be stronger if you apply it to areas that are uncovered and mellower if you apply it to parts that have clothing over them, which is why I do chest and wrists (and then put a shirt on).

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I usually spray it on my chest region with a shirt on. One good shot usually does the trick.

Waffles or whatever on
  • strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I myself also spray it on my chest. I pull the collar of my shirt forward and do two shots down my chest. Most of the time I can't even smell the cologne. But when the chick is close enough, they will sure smell it.

It's like that old commercial where the chick is walking towards a guy from far away saying "I don't want to smell you from here. Or here. Or here." And then when she right up on the guys nuts, "I want to smell you from here."

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pulse points

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If we're talking about a body spray, double pits to chesty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ_yfQZ03xo

Figgy on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just spray my cologne at my neck, clothes.

I only do the wrist thing for aftershave.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    edited July 2010
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I just spray my cologne at my neck, clothes.

I only do the wrist thing for aftershave.

Don't do this. This is the surest way for it to carry way too far.

Esh on
    edited July 2010
    I've heard of the spray and walk through. I think I'll stick with the wrist thing this time.

Back from the ceremony (very beautiful) and now taking a break before heading off to the dinner. I don't know why I'm telling you this.

Underdog on
  • SporkedSporked Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Because we all live vicariously through the quandaries of others!

Sporked on
  • underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Ooooooo quandaries!

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zenitram wrote: »
    Here's my method for making sure I don't overdo it:

I take my shirt off, spray one spray of cologne in front of me, and then I walk into it.

Simple but I'm told it's effective.

This is the Gentlemanly way to do it, DON'T spray your clothes, YOU are supposed to smell not your garments.

Also to the pulse pointers, the area above your heart burns 2 degrees hotter than you wrists or neck so ! spritz carries further. And I worked for a High End male fashion store so we get trained on this stuff.

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Spray, Delay, Walk away.

Do not put it on any specific part of your body like wrists or neck. Do not spray it directly on your clothes, hair, or junk.

Spray one spritz into the air about mouth level, wait a second, then walk into the cloud.

meeker on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    One spritz on the bare chest. When in the presence of those you wish to attract give the front of your collar a slight tug. Have had much success with this.

Shogun on
  • KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I do most of the time 2-3 sprays. 1 spray on chest, 1 on back and maybe one on my wrists/forearms that I rub together. Remember keep the bottle far from your body so you have a bigger area of effect.

I think spraying on your chest is far superior than spraying on your neck.

Khaczor on
    edited July 2010
    Khaczor wrote: »
    I do most of the time 2-3 sprays. 1 spray on chest, 1 on back and maybe one on my wrists/forearms that I rub together. Remember keep the bottle far from your body so you have a bigger area of effect.

Depending on the cologne, 3 sprays is bordering on too strong. And, your back? That's weird.

Figgy on
    edited July 2010
    Khaczor wrote: »

Just so you know, you are WAY overdoing it. You're one of those people.

Cologne should be applied the same way that women apply perfume. Pulse points. There's no different set of rules because you're a man.

Esh on
    edited July 2010
    is there scientific backing to show that your pulse affects the smell?

Raneados on
  • hotlunchhotlunch regular
    edited July 2010
    I think its the body heat. I read somewhere its not good to rub the cologne to spread it, but better to dab it, supposed to keep the same scent or something? I dunno but I feel like wrist/neck fades away kinda quickly, so I usually go chest, I think it lasts longer under the clothes and such

hotlunch on
  • OverOver ...laser cats? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    is there scientific backing to show that your pulse affects the smell?

Your body heat and skin itself will slightly affect how the cologne ends up smelling after it hits your body. The same cologne will smell slightly different on two different guys (at least that's what I remember reading in GQ awhile ago).

Personally, I just hit my (rather hairy) chest with one blast from a foot away. I don't think applying it above your shoulders is really necessary (although that may be from some dubious source I can't even remember).

Bottom line, just follow the common sense in this thread: Less is more - you only want it to be a subtle hint when someone is within your personal space.

Over on