As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

a

• KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Put tag mode on as I went out this evening. How foolish of me to expect at least one tag.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think I suck at this game, because I just, can't, beat, this, cheapass, motherfucking, final boss.

For whatever reason my AI is way too good at abusing his bullshit combos to break through whatever strategy I put together.

Don't use any Pally abilities? Then he critstomps my Priest for the instakill.
    Forebearance? Then he'll never uses a physical attack ever, using his breath attacks on both turns to quickly kill the Pally.
    Whipping Boy the Priest? Works for about two turns, then he'll do his WTFpwn explosion, killing the Pally, and then immediately put the priest to sleep. IT ALWAYS HAPPENS THIS WAY.
    Try to build up breath or magic resistance? He wipes it right off.
    Do any damage to him? Instant 500 HP heal, lulz.

Seriously, how the fuck am I supposed to beat this cheapass? Hes the only boss that's given me the remotest bit of trouble. I'm trying to grind out skill points for Mirror Shield on my Pally because I can't think of any better ideas.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    Put tag mode on as I went out this evening. How foolish of me to expect at least one tag.

I got sneak peek ticket to Scott Pilgrim. I'm taking it there just see if I get lucky.

Algertman on
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DAMMIT.

Just dropped my DS and lost god knows how many hours of play. It looks like everyone in my party lost around 200 or 300 skill points.

It's really a testament to the quality of this game that my first reaction was "damn, better start grinding everything back" and not "screw it, I'm done".

EDIT: oh what the hell, I had maxed out everyone's paladin skills but now I haven't even done the paladin quest

Billmaan on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I'm just about to unleash a 100 tension falcon slash.

Edit: Over 1200 damage!

jothki on
  • Goldhawk00Goldhawk00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think I suck at this game, because I just, can't, beat, this, cheapass, motherfucking, final boss.

For whatever reason my AI is way too good at abusing his bullshit combos to break through whatever strategy I put together.

Don't use any Pally abilities? Then he critstomps my Priest for the instakill.
    Forebearance? Then he'll never uses a physical attack ever, using his breath attacks on both turns to quickly kill the Pally.
    Whipping Boy the Priest? Works for about two turns, then he'll do his WTFpwn explosion, killing the Pally, and then immediately put the priest to sleep. IT ALWAYS HAPPENS THIS WAY.
    Try to build up breath or magic resistance? He wipes it right off.
    Do any damage to him? Instant 500 HP heal, lulz.

Seriously, how the fuck am I supposed to beat this cheapass? Hes the only boss that's given me the remotest bit of trouble. I'm trying to grind out skill points for Mirror Shield on my Pally because I can't think of any better ideas.

I kinda breezed through the last boss after, uh, accidently murdering a hundred liquid metal slimes in the bowhole before remembering that there's a world I was supposed to be saving so I don't know how well this advice will work for you but... if you've gotten to the very last boss, then your probably around hitting the low 40s, upper 30s right? Since you're having trouble, maybe go hunting for some better equipment? Stuff with secondary effects that reduce spell or breath damage are pretty helpful. You can make red tights with, uh, four crimson coral and some pop socks that'll provide some protection against fire for example. You should be able to make some of the higher class weapons that require sunstones too like the combusticlaws that hit pretty damn hard.

Have you finished the quest in Coffinwell that asks you for a technicolour dreamcloth? It gives you an elfin charm ascessory. Put that on your priest to help with sleep and paralysis.

Goldhawk00 on
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I finally beat him. It wasn't so much that my strategy improved (though I had grinded up a level or two), but he finally stopped being a complete cheapass. I.e., he actually used physical attacks and spaced out his WTF-explosion-o'-death attack and his breath attacks (rather than using them every other turn) and his heal.

In fact, he did that useless laughing move waaaay more than he has in the past. Think that might have been the game's way of saying "Haha, you suck, look how easy I'm making this for you."

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is... is yesterday's cameo guest still available? I'm on vacation and didn't get the chance to connect yesterday and I MUST HAVE HER. Must find a Mickey D's in Manhattan or something... unless one can connect at the Nintendo World Store?

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    edited July 2010
    Where the hell are those Liquid Metal Slimes. I've searched all over creation and can't find them. Are they in Magmaroo lava dungeon area?

Algertman on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Algertman wrote: »
    Where the hell are those Liquid Metal Slimes. I've searched all over creation and can't find them. Are they in Magmaroo lava dungeon area?
    Bowhole.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited July 2010
    God I'm an idiot. I kept bowhole was somewhere else. Thanks

Algertman on
    edited July 2010
    One more thing. Spear Teacher. I did the first quest does he give another? My Pally is lvl.100 on spear and he's not giving me anything.

Algertman on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is... is yesterday's cameo guest still available? I'm on vacation and didn't get the chance to connect yesterday and I MUST HAVE HER. Must find a Mickey D's in Manhattan or something... unless one can connect at the Nintendo World Store?

Nintendo World should be wide open, but otherwise there's at leat one McDonald's on 42nd street in Times Square. I'm pretty sure he special cameo guests and any DQVC quests will stockpile so you can grab all of the available ones waiting for you.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • ArcusArcus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Algertman wrote: »

Liquid Metal? They should be in the Bowhole, the dungeon before Magmaroo

EDIT: Wow so late.

I do hope the cameo guests stay forever since it looks like they give you presents on your birthday as well

Arcus on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Unlocked a dungeon with Metal King Slimes -- Gold Waterway of Woe, L65. It's off near Coffinwell on the beachlike area, they appear on levels 8-12. Woo, bring on the XP!

Edit: L59 Gladiator main character (hit Level 61... (Edit2: 63) just now), Alonso is a L50 Magic Knight, Cassie is a L46 Sage, Meredith is a L54 Paladin. I'm switching Alonso around until all his jobs are L38 (100 skillpoints each job), then going to master a few passives on him. Really don't know what to take with him, I'm guessing maybe Gladiator. "Sage as Main Healer" seems to work just fine, although she will never get the ultra high end heal spells like fullheal and omniheal -- but she gets Kazing (100% chance to raise dead), so it's tradeoff. Paladin is actually hitting the point that critical hits are doing... 1 damage to her. Heh.

The reason I'm not switching the main character away from gladiator is future maps are dependent on the MC's HIGHEST LEVEL (and his revocation level, and the level of the current map) -- so if I can get him to 70 or even 80 or 99, finding better maps becomes a LOT easier.

KiTA on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wonder if I should let my wife take my old DS and DQ9 to Otakon next weekend to see if I can randomly get a bunch of tags while she's running around doing her cosplay stuff. I don't feel like driving to a GameStop event, since neither of my local stores have one.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Haha, this made me chuckle a bit.

(level 100 Fan quest)
    You have to dress as a bunny girl while killing a metal slime

Success! The 'Oh, the Indignity' quest has been transgressed with .. a modicum of dignity!

I'm easily amused.

quaigy on
    edited July 2010
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    I wonder if I should let my wife take my old DS and DQ9 to Otakon next weekend to see if I can randomly get a bunch of tags while she's running around doing her cosplay stuff. I don't feel like driving to a GameStop event, since neither of my local stores have one.

I would, yes, it seems like a good place to share maps. Just like I hope to have the Masayuki map completed by PAX so I can share it and the Locker with people. (If I ever get to go to PAX, heh.)

Just got my highest map, the second time I cleared that level I was in. Gold World of Regret L75. Gold is monster ranks 5-8 (G-D in the guide), World is any environment at random (but has 12 to 16 floors, this one turned out to be Volcanic), and Regret is bosses 4-9.

First floor has Killing Machines, which only appear on Rank F in Volcanos, so I know the first floor is Rank F or 6.
    From the mini-guide, I know that Metal Kings appear on Monster Rank C floors in Volcanos, and from the name I know this has at least 12 levels.
    Monsters go up 1 rank every 4 levels, meaning at level 12, I will be seeing D (9-12) rank monsters. So if it goes past floor 12, I have a chance of running into Metal King Slimes.

Edit: huh. There are pallet swapped Equinoxen (Equinoxes? Equinoxi?) in here. Shit just got real. o.O

My current goals in game:

1. Farm Baramos for another 3 shoes (Mainly cause I don't know if I can get them any other way)
    2. Level him to L8 and farm 5 pants (ditto #1)
    3. Level him to L16 and farm Mudo's map.
    4. Get a high enough grotto to fight the white "DQ9 cameo" boss (Monster #294)
    5. Farm #4 until I get the Dragonlord's map (1/10 chance to drop off the boss in #4)
    6. Unlock the L40 Auto-steal ability for thieves.

Does the auto-steal ability work if your not a thief at the time? Like if I had my gladiator hold the scroll (he has 100 in Acquisitiveness).

Basically before Wifi DLC and the Gamestop/Comic-Con events, we have 2 chains of Legacy Grottos available to us -- Baramos's chain (Fake final bosses) and Dragonlord's chain (Final Bosses with 2 forms).

KiTA on
  • quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ooh, my latest grotto holds both King Metal Slimes and the Moai for the Luminary quest. Great success.

quaigy on
  • Goldhawk00Goldhawk00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    From my own experiences, any character that's holding the thief scroll in their inventory has a chance of stealing an item after the battle is over. You'll get the same sound as when a treasure chest drops so if you're mashing the a button, you might miss it and not notice the difference. I've had at least one fight where a monster dropped a chest and then my ranger stole the same item right after.

Goldhawk00 on
    edited July 2010
    Anyone can use the vocation scrolls no matter what their vocation is. It's not like the weapon scrolls where you need to be equipped with that weapon first.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    Grr. Need more fresh water and Glass Frit. From now on, gotta farm that every time it's up.

KiTA on
    edited July 2010

Baramos drops a treasure chest!
    KiTA opens it up!
    It contains a pair of Aliahan boots! (20%)

Baramos drops a treasure chest!
    KiTA opens it up!
    It contains a mini medal! (100%)

KiTA manages to steal a pair of Aliahan boots! (20%)

KiTA manages to steal a Silver Orb! (5%)

That was all in one fight, btw. I feel much better about taking Acquisitiveness to 100 now.

KiTA on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I just 100 tension, oomphed, quadruple falcon slashed Nemean for over 3000 damage, though he only took half of it before dying. That felt good.

jothki on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dudes. I had an adventure today.
    In real life.

Being a lowly peon of Gamestop, I've been checking our system regularly for DQ5 since all of you seem to think its a really good one. So whenever I'm at work, I do a quick check to see if any stores in my area got one traded in.

Well one appeared in Topeka, which is like 70 miles away (I live in the KC area). So today a buddy and I road tripped it to Topeka and I picked up the game. We also just explored around a bit and went in their mall and got a bag full of candy for the car ride back.

So now I own DQ5. Yay.

Lucascraft on
    edited July 2010
    And candy!

I need Flurry feathers. I hear Chimaeras and Weaken beakons drop them, with it being a rare drop from Chimaeras. Weaken Beakons are in some place called "The Bad Cave" which I have forgotten about -- is that the one off to the west of Coffinwell?

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    By Bloomingdale.

How quickly you forgot the Metal Medleys :(

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's also one of them resource node thingys of flurry feathers just to the west of Bad cave.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited July 2010
    And another West of Batsureg.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• useruser Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    On the subject of scarce resources, are there only two places to find fresh water? I've got east of Batsureg in that mountain lake area and in between Slurry Quay and Dourbridge up by the river.

Also I don't know if you guys knew about it, but if you finished Gleeba, it's possible to re-enter the palatial baths as a female main character and score a Dangerous Bikini Top by chatting with the npcs within, and doing a bit of a search. No idea where to get the bottoms.

user on
    edited July 2010
    Thanks, got my Avalanche Axe.

Is there an easier way to get Agates of Evolution? The recipe is brutal!

@user: You can get fresh water from Cheeky Tikis, which are in Gerzuun (basement, I believe). Steal/Drop/Auto-steal, 6% chance.

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    Thanks, got my Avalanche Axe.

Is there an easier way to get Agates of Evolution? The recipe is brutal!
    The only thing I could find on GameFAQs was
    These can be shortcutted somewhat though...

A quest for killing a grotto boss gives a lucida shard and is repeatable, the wi-fi quest 121 gives an angel's plume and is easily repeated, etc etc.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    Wait, 121 is the one we just got, the one I haven't bothered to ...

God. Damnit.

Ah well. L4 Baramos! Getting him to L8 then farmin' mah pants!

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    Oh god... the "Mirage Mahal in the "Djust desert"...

This is starting to become the best and worst translation of all time. I mean, it's a top-notch, Grade A job, and they do deserve points for making the puns clever...

But the puns! You seriously can't flood the place like this with them. The occasional one is funny, but then they keep coming non stop, it becomes really stupid. It's like if a guy came up to you and started telling puns. You'd laugh at the first 5 or so, but after at pun #50, you're 2 seconds from punching him in the face with a hammer.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited July 2010

This is starting to become the best and worst translation of all time. I mean, it's a top-notch, Grade A job, and they do deserve points for making the puns clever...

But the puns! You seriously can't flood the place like this with them. The occasional one is funny, but then they keep coming non stop, it becomes really stupid. It's like if a guy came up to you and started telling puns. You'd laugh at the first 5 or so, but after at pun #50, you're 2 seconds from punching him in the face with a hammer.
    Tell me, does this fill you with a murderous rage?

I'm working on a theory, here.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »

Tell me, does this fill you with a murderous rage?

I'm working on a theory, here.

If the floor of my apartment was covered in puppies, all day every day, then yes, I'd probably be a little ticked off after about a week.

The Wolfman on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If there were 50 they would be taking shits all over you and in your home.

Hoz on
    edited July 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    If there were 50 they would be taking shits all over you and in your home.

That too.

The Wolfman on
    edited July 2010
    Baramos reaches Level 8!

His Strength and Defense rise.

Baramos learns Disruptive Wave.

KiTA on
    edited July 2010
    Man, you can't be that surprised. I don't think it even counts as a Baramos fight if he doesn't use that every other round.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png