As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Street Fighter X Tekken: Game out now. 12 characters DLC incoming. Day 1 patching.

• AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Having tech rolls and and using chain combos (unless the chain combos are certain characters only like target combos in SSF4) guarantees it to be pretty different already.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That was something about street fighter that always bugged me. You've got so few options off the ground. You either get up slow or you get up fast. No rolling, no just staying on the ground, no attacking while grounded or while getting up (not including getting up and then reversal).

Dr Mario Kart on
  • HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Around 1:25 in this video Ryu throws himself forward and rolls after getting knocked down.
    http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/30596

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Does this really work to get Tekken players into SF and vice versa? Seems like Tekken players could just buy the 3D one and SF players buy the 2D one.

I was wondering that too.

Then I considered it from my own perspective. Would I buy Street Fighter v Tekken? Absolutely already decided. Now would I buy Tekken v Street Fighter if it had at least several of my favorite characters? Yeah actually I think I would give it a shot. If nothing else, there's a huge "curiosity" factor in play here. How would some of these characters work in a 3D tekken-esque game? I'd be really interested to know and would certainly want to give it a try.

Can't speak for anyone else though.

slash000 on
    edited July 2010
    I honestly think it would depend on how well the space the releases.

Seeing that they have MvC3 as well, if they put the 3 releases too close to the other they might leech off each other's sales.

Antihippy on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So wait...they're making a

SF v Tekken(2d)

and

Tekken vs SF(3d)?

Dragkonias on
    edited July 2010
    That's a good point. They really shouldn't release both games back to back. I mean, yeah, worst case you'd have all the Tekken fans buying the Namco one and all the SF fans buying the Capcom one. But that doesn't really take advantage of the synergy of having two big fighting franchises combined into one game. They gotta spread them out a little.

Picking up a new fighting game takes a while, too.

Dragkonias wrote: »
    So wait...they're making a

SF v Tekken(2d)

and

Tekken vs SF(3d)?

Yeah. The first by Capcom the second by Namco.

slash000 on
  • MgsleeMgslee United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    I honestly think it would depend on how well the space the releases.

Seeing that they have MvC3 as well, if they put the 3 releases too close to the other they might leech off each other's sales.

Considering the end of the gameplay trailer says "Enjoy MvC3 for a while" I don't think we'll see these games anytime soon.

I'd put it atleast 6 - 8 months after MvC3 at the earliest. Compare the shape of MvC3 and the prototype demo we just saw and its fairly obvious how they wont overlap

I am curious how they'll space SFxT and TxSF but it seems like Capcom might be further ahead for now

Mgslee on
    Hit me up for SSF4 games! (Xbox Live mgslee)
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I do think it is smart not to release them too close. I really don't want to go through fighting game burnout.

That being said I've only really manage to into two fighters this genre.

SC4 because I'm a fan and BB because of the good online.

Wanted to get into Tekken but I couldn't really find any comp around my level to ease myself into it. People were either too easy or they steamrolled me.

Hopefully all the new releases will give me a few more to expand my horizons.

Dragkonias on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    That's a good point. They really shouldn't release both games back to back. I mean, yeah, worst case you'd have all the Tekken fans buying the Namco one and all the SF fans buying the Capcom one. But that doesn't really take advantage of the synergy of having two big fighting franchises combined into one game. They gotta spread them out a little.

Picking up a new fighting game takes a while, too.

Yea, I'll likely not buy the Capcom version of this, since I couldn't really get good at SF4, but I was good with Tekken 6. I'm sure that there are plenty of people who tried Tekken 6, and couldn't get good at it because it was so different than SF4.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited July 2010
    Honestly though I think it might head into oversaturation. BBCS, KoF 13 and Arcana heart 3 are coming too. And mortal kombat 9.

Though the west doesn't really give a shit about KoF13 and AH3 sadly so who knows.

Antihippy on
    edited July 2010
    Honestly though I think it might head into oversaturation. BBCS, KoF 13 and Arcana heart 3 are coming too. And mortal kombat 9.

Though the west doesn't really give a shit about KoF13 and AH3 sadly so who knows.

I think a decent amount of people were hyped about KoF12 until the shitty online generally killed any interest. As for AH3, it's always been niche...

Dragkonias on
  • mutantmagnetmutantmagnet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Megaman vs Pacman? I'll pass. :P

Seriously while I am mostly excited about this I consider the timing of all this to be a little off. They clearly stated we won't get this until we've gorged on MvC3 so why spoil it so soon? Even when the leaks came out no one could believe them even those who latched onto the rumors back then.

Another problem I have is creating two games. If they are doing this with the expectation that most of their fans will buy both this is a terrible idea. If they have the expectation that their respective camps will buy their game with some marginal crossover then the idea is sound but in certain ways seems disappointing.

As a fan of tekken I'm really looking forward to seeing Street Fighter characters being translated into this format. I'm not as big of a fan of SF but my biggest issue is that I just don't envision as much innovation to be garnered from translating Tekken characters in Street Fighter.

mutantmagnet on
  • HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I doubt they are counting on fans of both series buying both, but probably counting on fans of the series buying the respective titles. Also i dont think we know what sort of agrement they have regarding how what they earn from these games, will be split. Will Capcom have to split their income with Namco on SFxT And vice versa?
    Regarding oversaturating the market, how "bad" did it get during the 90,s before fighting games died off? If all the games released are good, i dont think there will be a big problem.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
    edited July 2010
    HenryVape wrote: »
    I doubt they are counting on fans of both series buying both, but probably counting on fans of the series buying the respective titles. Also i dont think we know what sort of agrement they have regarding how what they earn from these games, will be split. Will Capcom have to split their income with Namco on SFxT And vice versa?
    Regarding oversaturating the market, how "bad" did it get during the 90,s before fighting games died off? If all the games released are good, i dont think there will be a big problem.

Really. I wouldn't say what killed the market during the late 90s was oversaturation so much as the death of the arcade.

Take games like Third Strike, people just didn't know these games existed.

I would say 2D games were hit the hardest by the death of the arcade.

3D fighters gained most of their popularity on consoles since arcades were pretty gone by the time they hit their stride, so they weren't in as bad shape.

Capcom was able to stay afloat because they were making it big with their actions games, SNK pretty much went bankrupt(they were saved, but looks like they may go bankrupt again if KoF13 doesn't do well).

There was also other 2D fighters, but the fighting genre in general had become pretty niche.

Dragkonias on
    edited July 2010
    Hmm, good point. Especially with the capability to have stable online matches nowadays.

Antihippy on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Haha yes didn't Capcom just say they DIDNT want to oversaturate the market!? I for one, am glad though. I think its pretty brave of both companies and I'm interested to see if this kind of head to head game brings out the best of both companies, since neither one is going to want to get upstaged by the other.

I'm also interested to see how they balance out the roster as neither company is going to want to look like dicks making all their characters have all the strongest fighters.

earthwormadam on
    edited July 2010
    re: internet / 90s / decline / renewed interest in fighting games

Yeah. Seriously. Online has brought back fighting games. In more than one way. Now that we have a way to play others with extreme ease, but we also typically now have online set ups that allow for us to progressively rank up and increase our skill and enjoyment of the games. But beyond that, we now have a lot of really popular online places to talk about these games, and strategies, and learn from each other and have like little fighting game communities. Which I think adds something. So does youtube. Watching matches, and other players and learning from them. Or just for fun.

So yeah it's great that the internet seems to be helping the fighting genre get back on its feet.

slash000 on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    to me this is basically another iteration of SF4 with a whole bunch of new characters and mechanics

i'll probably buy it, even though a lot of the tekken characters seem really stupid

i mean, it's not like T. Hawk isn't stupid, to be fair

Evil Multifarious on
    edited July 2010
    to me this is basically another iteration of SF4 with a whole bunch of new characters and mechanics

i'll probably buy it, even though a lot of the tekken characters seem really stupid

i mean, it's not like T. Hawk isn't stupid, to be fair

So to you, this is essentially Street Fighter 5.

Not a bad way of looking at it really.

edit: well, except for tagging which has never been really "street fighter" or whatever blah blah but you get the point :P

slash000 on
    edited July 2010
    Tekken character > street fighter characters.

Not by much, but still. :P

Antihippy on
    edited July 2010
    Well...I guess I may give SF vs Tekken a chance.

I will say tag, rolls, and chains instead of links does have me somewhat interested.

Dragkonias on
    edited July 2010
    i think they're both pretty bland rosters, to be honest

i mean, ryu and heihachi are both iconic, but they're just dudes who do karate.

although heihachi has the advantage with "old guy who is really angry all the time" being tacked on there, apparently

edit: oh my god, this guy's full name is actually marshall law

hhahahahaha fuck

Evil Multifarious on
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tekken character > street fighter characters.

Not by much, but still. :P

I disagree but Tekken does have Jackie Chan. SF needs a Jackie Chan.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
    edited July 2010
    Soul Calibur has the best roster anyway...>_>...

Dragkonias on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Seeing as though I own a plethora of SF titles, and practically no Tekken this is a good time to dabble with Namco.

I think they'll get a nice boost of interest in Tekken from this, as I love fighting games but have lost all interest in their series.

earthwormadam on
    edited July 2010
    what the fuck

these characters are bizarre

one of them is just a fucking bear

and his backstory is that he wants to seize control of the corporation just like everyone else?

jesus christ

Evil Multifarious on
    edited July 2010
    i think they're both pretty bland rosters, to be honest

i mean, ryu and heihachi are both iconic, but they're just dudes who do karate.

although heihachi has the advantage with "old guy who is really angry all the time" being tacked on there, apparently

edit: oh my god, this guy's full name is actually marshall law

hhahahahaha fuck

If you want to compare series main dudes.

Heihachi would be akuma.

Kazuya/Jin is Ryu/Ken.
    what the fuck

and his backstory is that he wants to seize control of the corporation just like everyone else?

jesus christ

See?

Tekken has a pretty awesome roster.

Antihippy on
    edited July 2010
    what the fuck

jesus christ

So you're saying that bears shouldn't be allowed to own and operate businesses or something?

Dragkonias on
    edited July 2010
    what the fuck

jesus christ

As previously mentioned, he'll never beat Zangief. It's just auto-lose.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • LuthonLuthon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

LoL soul calibur man I hate that game so much. It's like you have to wait for every other time they release a new game for it to be any good! Mitsurugi is the only character worth mentioning from that series.

So I didn't know they were doing two games one 3d and one 2d. Eh I guess if they can make kazuya look bad ass in 2d I guess they could make SF characters work in 3d?

Luthon on
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Corporations are people. Bears cannot be people!

Dr Mario Kart on
    edited July 2010
    Luthon wrote: »

LoL soul calibur man I hate that game so much. It's like you have to wait for every other time they release a new game for it to be any good! Mitsurugi is the only character worth mentioning from that series.

...So much wrong in one sentence.

Dragkonias on
    edited July 2010
    That's bearist.

Antihippy on
    edited July 2010
    i gotta be honest

the bear

if he's in the game

i will buy the fuck out of it

Evil Multifarious on
    edited July 2010
    I'm hoping the story involves Kuma mistaking Ken for Paul and just maiming him.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tekken also has a kangaroo with boxing gloves. Named Roger.

Who inexplicably has a pouch.

Zxerol on
    edited July 2010
    i gotta be honest

the bear

if he's in the game

i will buy the fuck out of it

His alternate skin is a panda by the way.

Antihippy on
    edited July 2010
    That being said I wonder how the rosters will looks. SF and Tekken have some of the hugest rosters in fighting games. I doubt they're going to include everyone.

Meh, they can just cut out garbage characters like Hakan and Zafina.

Dragkonias on
    edited July 2010
    i don't know if that character comparison is accurate

heihachi and akuma, sort of, with the kind-of-evil obsession with strength

kazuya and jin both seem like assholes, though, especially the latter, as opposed to being on the good team

Evil Multifarious on