As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mini-Phalla]: Earth Defense Fleet No. 3 - GAME OVER. VILLAGE VICTORY.

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Farangu wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Duna, I have never seen you play this stupidly before.

I'm the one not thinking clearly?

Ender just told us no one has to die.

Since every person in this game has a valuable role, killing anyone reduces our chance of winning.

Therefore, the smartest thing to do is...

*drumroll*

NOT KILL ANYONE

The fact that you're advocating so strongly that someone has to die implies to me that your win condition lies contrary to the villages.

20% mafia gives us a really crappy chance of actually hitting mafia, especially day 1. Therefore, voting someone out day 1 gives us a good chance of voting out a villager, which screws us over. Waiting to see if sabotage occurs gives us a much better chance of figuring out if we need to actually space people.

you're so ...... it hurts my head.

have you ever heard of a prisoner's dilema? now imagine one with 30 people in it and 5 of those people actively want the other 25 dead. the reason the vote works is because people can look at the reasons people give to vote one way or another and see who seems to push back when one person is being bandwagoned and who acts the way a mafia would act when someone not on their team dies.

If you think that killing the NPCs and ignoring the infiltrators who have powers adverse to each ship is a good idea than I welcome you to vote me out so I can look back after you've lost and say 'I told you so'

Yes, Duna. I've heard of the prisoner's dilemma. There's a problem for you with this analogy, though.

So far you're the only one that wants anyone dead. Also, as has been mentioned, there is really no reason anyone merits death on Day 1 aside from grudges and RNG's.

that's because I'm apparantly the only one here with a functioning brain.

Dunadan019 on
  • TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dear Mafia,

Trying to find you and using our tools is officially too hard. We want to make friends, and are so afraid of spacing a villager that we're not willing to make even a token effort at defending ourselves from you. It's our considered opinion that even though we outnumber you, a plurality rules vote is against our best interest.

Though if you'd like to vote and kill someone, feel free. In fact, since you already know all of our roles, why don't you just pick out someone super special and put the vote on them. Like maybe the helmsman on the big bad Battleship. What's the worst that can happen? We vote you out? Obviously that's just not what we do around here. More likely we'll just vote out the next person who's rational to us in what we consider a vaguely rude way.

Sincerely,

The Village

P.S.

3clipse

Teucrian on
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Duna your plan is really awesome.

IT IS MY DUTY AND PLEASURE TO LOUDLY REPEAT THAT WE NEED TO KILL SOMEBODY RIGHT NOW

BUT NOT ME

Farangu on
    edited July 2010

IT IS MY DUTY AND PLEASURE TO LOUDLY REPEAT THAT WE NEED TO KILL SOMEBODY RIGHT NOW

BUT NOT ME

because I'm not evil and have important abilities relating to flying the ship....

Dunadan019 on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

BUT NOT ME

because I'm not evil and have important abilities relating to flying the ship....

That's so odd. I seem to remember hearing a similar argument earlier, but it was ignored because someone needs to get spaced...

Capfalcon on
    edited July 2010
    Capfalcon wrote: »

BUT NOT ME

That's so odd. I seem to remember hearing a similar argument earlier, but it was ignored because someone needs to get spaced...

that was after I voted for you and when I came back from the bathroom you can note that I changed my vote.

well I say you can but that would apparantly require you to read.....

Dunadan019 on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hmm. Someone with only 4 votes int he entire thread, at least 2 of which were before the game actually began, suddenly decides that I should be voted out.

The only 2 votes on me are from someone advocating the random use of the vote, and an inactive.

OH HAI MAFIA WHAT'S UP

3cl1ps3 on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, also, everyone is necessary for 100% function of the ship.

So killing anyone causes problems.

It's like trying to talk to a brick wall here.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited July 2010
    Hmm. Someone with only 4 votes int he entire thread, at least 2 of which were before the game actually began, suddenly decides that I should be voted out.

The only 2 votes on me are from someone advocating the random use of the vote, and an inactive.

OH HAI MAFIA WHAT'S UP

seriously, stop being dumb.... please.

Dunadan019 on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

BUT NOT ME

that was after I voted for you and when I came back from the bathroom you can note that I changed my vote.

Stay classy, Duna.

Stay classy.

Also, when insulting someone's literacy, you should probably spell all the words correctly.

Hint: "Apparently" has an "E" in it.

Capfalcon on
    edited July 2010
    Duna if all you can do is parrot about us being dumb you're not helping your cause much.

Farangu on
    edited July 2010
    So saying:

"Everyone is valuable, so we should be careful about voting and not randomly Day 1 someone who we might need later in order to win."

Is dumb.

But saying

"We have to vote for someone all the time even if they're 100% necessary for winning, and even if we kill a ship captain hey we still have voting records that's something right?"

Isn't dumb?

It's not like this is a normal phalla where most people are unimportant and so their loss wouldn't be felt and so we need the vote records. Everyone (repeat: EVERYONE) is important in this phalla; losing any one person reduces our effectiveness in combat, giving us a reduced chance of beating the venutians.

In this case, keeping people who may be useful alive and using evidence from the narration to vote is more important then getting a random, completely unjustified Day 1 vote on someone "just for voting records."

Stop playing like this is every phalla ever, and start playing with your goddamn brain, kthx.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited July 2010
    Duna if all you can do is parrot about us being dumb you're not helping your cause much.

I call em as I see em.

If you actually think not using the vote is a good idea then you deserve the loss you're about to suffer.

Dunadan019 on
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There are many ways to play this, the prisoners dilemma provides insight as to how to get people to vote but if you want people to vote there are many more useful ways to do it.

First you plan to kill off everyone from a single ship one by one, thus losing one ship over 6 turns but having the others fire on the enemy. If you kill off the people who can use weapons on that ship (edit: LAST) and they agree to attack the enemy, then if you can kill off the enemy ships in 4-6 turns its a fast win.

Alternatively you could kill off the shield/hp recharge people or people without direct actions. This might hurt ships but not cripple them allowing you to win also. Especially if we all actually FOCUS FIRE THE PHALLIA. That is the most important thing this round.

I see you defending the need to vote but not giving an idea of who to vote for. The roles and ship powers give a hierarchy of who the village should vote out.

If you are going to vote for someone, and there is virtually no way to know who is mafia this turn, why are you doing it in terms of how it will not effect the fleet in combat potential?

I know it is too late for this now unfortunately, but it is good food for thought.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    edited July 2010
    edited July 2010

BUT NOT ME

Stay classy, Duna.

Stay classy.

Also, when insulting someone's literacy, you should probably spell all the words correctly.

Hint: "Apparently" has an "E" in it.

yep, I don't capitalize my sentances either.

because its not worth my time and neither is pointing out how terrible that was as an insult.

but sometimes I do it for fun.

Dunadan019 on
    edited July 2010

if it weren't true, I wouldn't have to say it.

Dunadan019 on
    edited July 2010
    I don't even see what you're still mad about. You have us voting again. Are you just mad that you had to share your thought process and most of us decided we don't want that in our fleet?

Farangu on
    edited July 2010
    and now I'm going to watch a movie.

Dunadan019 on
    edited July 2010
    I don't even see what you're still mad about. You have us voting again. Are you just mad that you had to share your thought process and most of us decided we don't want that in our fleet?

I'm not mad.

Dunadan019 on
    edited July 2010
    Will we know in the narration if someone was a sympathizer?

3cl1ps3 on
  • TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

OH HAI MAFIA WHAT'S UP

Cool, I'm an inactive!

No one is encouraging random use of the vote. But if it came down to not using it at all versus random use, I'd be for random use, and I bet the math would back me up. But that's neither here nor there.

I'm advocating voting for you because I think your suggestion is immensely silly. Discouraging people from voting might conceivably be worthwhile (but probably not) if you thought you could have 100% abstention, which was pretty unrealistic at the time suggested. Right now, it's functionally allowed a very small number of people to control the vote and aim it at a very important person in the battle fleet. That doesn't strike you as suspicious?

Teucrian on
    edited July 2010
    I'm not advocating not voting ever, I'm saying Day 1-ing someone when every role is important will probably neuter us more than it actually helps us.

If we have evidence that someone's a sympathizer, I will absolutely advocate voting for them; but voting someone out today won't be helpful, because everyone is needed to win.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited July 2010

are you serious?

Dunadan019 on
    edited July 2010

are you serious?

Musta been a bad movie, huh?

Capfalcon on
    edited July 2010
    This game is already doing things super differently, why shouldn't I double check that?

3cl1ps3 on
  • BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    On one hand, I agree that given what we know the vote is more likely to hurt us than help us.

On the other hand, I would assume that this was planned for in the game rules and the mafia is capable of stopping us with their own abilities.

On the gripping hand, if someone has to die anyways it might as well be !Dunadan

(SF references +1)

Bremen on
  • MegatinMegatin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The mafia has no kills, the only way they can kill people is by using the vote to do it, according to the OP.

Killing someone at random serves no purpose. Killing someone tomorrow, when we have some information to work with, might make more sense. I think, when we see ships actions, we'll have something to look at. We don't need the vote to find out who's not doing their job, this isn't a regular phalla.

Dunadan just sounds like mafia trying get a free kill on day 1.

Megatin on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    VOTE CLOSED

Narration will take a while; from now on, I'm imposing a strict limit on how late you can send in orders. You have until 2 hours prior to vote close to tell me what you want to do.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited July 2010
    glad I'm dead, I hate being part of a loss.

Dunadan019 on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DAY 1 - OUR CRUISERS CAN'T REPEL FIREPOWER OF THAT MAGNITUDE!

DeathStar2.jpg

Pillar%20of%20Autumn.png

“Ready the MAC gun! We're going to bore a hole right through the Phallia's hull!”

The ESN Chief gives chase to the Phallia as the lumbering battleship tries to disengage from primary weapons' range with the cruiser; her helmsman managed to keep the giant magnetic accelerator within optimal firing parameters and the ship's computer automatically discharges the weapon accordingly.

13 damage to the Phallia; 5 absorbed by the shields, the remaining 8 hitting her hull.

Her Tactical Officer simply drums his fingers on his armrest. The chief engineer appears to be preoccupied with other things than the space battle, while the science officer tries to re-route more power to the weapons systems to no effect.

“Encyclopedia, please divulge the name, occupation and background information of all crew members aboard my ship. I want to know what kind of limp-wrists I was assigned this time.”

“Encyclopedia confirms. Crew dossier follows:

Ship's captain The Anonymous is a decorated 8 year veteran of the Earth Space Navy. He's served for two years alongside the current admiral and achieved interplanetary notoriety when he executed his own spouse under suspicion of consorting with the Venusian rebels.

Ship's tactical officer Megatin is a fresh recruit from the academy. He is currently under investigation for consorting with and possibly bedding members from a Venusian rebel sympathizer club that formed in the academy. He awaits trial upon return to Earth. He was brought aboard at the insistence & testimony of the ESN Piett's captain.

Ship's helmsman Void Slayer is the nephew of the current president of the united planetary government and one of the most vocal supporters of the population control policy, though he is considered 'soft' for his more egalitarian opinions of what should be done with the Venusian rebels. He has been a pilot in the Earth Space Navy for 2 years.

Ship's chief engineer Gumpy & ship's science officer Hippie are conjoined twins who have collaborated on a wide variety of orbit-to-surface weapons projects meant for pacifying the inhabitants of Venus through demonstrations of the ESN's raw power. Their methods and ideologies have been a politically polarizing force within the navy – their detractors have been known to call them barbaric mutants, while their supporters insist that, while the weapons developed by Hippe & Gumpy may seem cruel and inflict considerable collateral damage, they're likely to have spared plenty of lives in the end by making a planetary invasion unnecessary.

Phyphor is a Spartan Super Soldier. He is unconditionally loyal to the Earth Space Navy and has been brought along to pacify hostile boarding parties as well as infiltrate enemy ships.”

Speaking of Spartans, a Pelican piloted by one rockets out of the Chief's bay, blasting it's way into the torpedo hold of the Mammaridian. The super soldier hops out of the craft, and is met by 4 of the ship's defending marines. A shooting spree seems imminent.

MFalcon.png

The ESN Williams maintains optimal weapons range from the Phallia and blazes away with her forward lasers, both the helmsman and tactical officer loosing streams of red into their target's flaring shields. The engineer does what he can to boost the power of the vessel's meager weapons, while the science officer mills about his post.

A scruffy looking fellow in a vest gives the ship's pilot an encouraging pat on the back. This should be even easier than the Kessel run.

“Her defenses are buckling, but still holding, captain.”

13 damage to the Phallia; 5 absorbed by the shields, the remaining 8 hitting her hull.
    7 damage to the Phallia; 5 absorbed by the shields, the remaining 2 hitting her hull.

“Encyclopedia, I want everything you have on those three ships! Weapons, schematics, armor thickness, shield capacity – the whole nine yards.”

“Encyclopedia confirms. Mammaridian analyzed; more time will be required for analysis of the other two vessels.

Analysis:

MAMMARIDIAN

AC: 20
    SHIELDS: 35
    HIT POINTS: 45

MAIN WEAPONS:

EYE OF LUCIFER – 3D6 +2 DAMAGE TO SHIELDS, 2D20 DAMAGE TO HIT POINTS

TORPEDOES:

(2/2/2) IRON PIRANHAS - 2D8 DAMAGE

POINT DEFENSE:

NONE DETECTED

SPECIAL NOTE: LAUNCHES AN ATTACK FIGHTER EVERY TURN.”

SSD.png

The ESN Piett closes with the Labia, proton torpedoes bracketing the vessel dead ahead while ion cannon bursts erupt to broadside the Phallia. The chief engineer forces more than a little extra pain from the battleship's power reserves.

“Captain, the Phallia's shields have collapsed! I'm reading power fluctuations throughout her superstructure; I don't think she'll be shooting at anything for the time being.”

17 damage to the Labia; 5 absorbed by shields, 12 hitting her hull.
    20 damage to the shields of the Phallia.

“Encyclopedia, has any station aboard the ship has had an unusual access pattern recently or been accessed by anyone other than the person appointed?”

“Encyclopedia confirms. An unauthorized entry into the Encyclopedia's database has been detected. This entry is digitally watermarked as having been entered from the science officer's console.”

The Piett's science officer appears perplexed with the developments ahead and mills about their station. The admiral, meanwhile, sees the chance for a decisive strike and broadcasts to all ships,

“Defense Fleet 3, this is Admiral Hall. I have something special planned for these rebels. I am transmitting an updated attack grid to your tactical stations.”

All ships may choose to boost any one of their crew stats by +2 for the next day.

Reliant.png

The Khan's engineer throws some extra power into her shields and her tactical officer sweeps her phaser over the now unshielded hull of the crippled Phallia. She leaves a distinctive scorch mark does does only superficial damage.

1 damage to the Phallia's hull.

Her captain barks orders to the ship's head of security, while her helmsman sets the ship into an erratic defensive flying pattern.

Pegasus.png

A pair of nuclear missiles streak out from the Cain, but the firing solution was way out to lunch. The weapons drift harmlessly by their targets. The science officer punches-up orders for the ship to get another torpedo ready, but a malfunction in one of the loading arms frustrates the effort.

“All Viper crews to your ships! Let's show 'em how we get things done!”

2 Vipers launched from the Cain.

The captain, helmsman & engineer occupy themselves with some beer in the mess hall, apparently trusting the ship's systems & the rest of the crew to make their problems go away.

Venusian.png

The Labius opens-up on the Piett with a sweeping bright yellow cutter beam.

15 damage to the Piett's shields.

A boarding pod also slams down onto the SSD; hostile intruders emerge from it.

The Mammaridian pivots and decides that the Super Star Destroyer would make an excellent target as well, opening fire with a burst from a quite distinctive Eye of Lucifer plasma cannon.

16 damage to the Piett's shields; The Piett's shields collapse. 6 damage dissipates.

A space superiority fighter emerges from the hangar bay of the Mammaridian.

A boarding party suddenly materializes with a flicker of blue light aboard the ESN Williams.

“This is central command. Piett, we have strong reason to believe that Dunadan019, your helmsman, is engaged in high treason against the state. He is to be executed immediately.”

The confused, protesting pilot is immediately seized by security personnel and dragged to an airlock before being jettisoned into outer space.

"Encyclopedia Galactica transmitting priority message to Defense Fleet No. 3:

A strange broadcast was picked up between the Williams and the Labius. While the transmission was in a particularly unusual dialect of Venutian, it was no match for my translation software and vocabulary database. The message is displayed here, words which had no clear translation match have been changed to their nearest Terran equivalent and placed in brackets:

'Attention <people>!

We the <strong helmets> are not your <stranger>! We have taken control of the <wind direction>. There is little to fear! I have sabotaged our guns and request your assistance firing on the <foreign king>. The <controller> here is not your only friend. Many believe in the cause!

Do not allow yourself to <fail>, soon we will <derisively laugh> together.

Venus forever!'

Upon investigation as prompted by the Piett's Captain, this message appears to have been illegally forced into the Encyclopedia by the Piett's science officer."

CASUALTIES:

DUNADAN019 (VILLAGER) - Airlocked by vote.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited July 2010
    Well that backfired. Guess I'm kind of sorry Duna?

Was the message actually sent from the Williams to the Labius?

3cl1ps3 on
    edited July 2010
    The Ender wrote: »
    Upon investigation as prompted by the Piett's Captain, this message appears to have been illegally forced into the Encyclopedia by the Piett's science officer."

...I don't think it get's much clearer than that people.

Capfalcon on
    edited July 2010
    My crew is the finest.

*facepalm*

Farangu on
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's just like the boardgame!

Phyphor on
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Ender wrote: »

...I don't think it get's much clearer than that people.

And corroborated by “Encyclopedia confirms. An unauthorized entry into the Encyclopedia's database has been detected. This entry is digitally watermarked as having been entered from the science officer's console.”

So, who's the science officer?

Phyphor on
    edited July 2010
    Phyphor wrote: »
    It's just like the boardgame!

So, is this the part where the Cylon botches the reveal and gets airlocked?

EDIT: Man I just came up with a better one, too!

Treachery, on my Pegasus?

It's more likely than you think.

Capfalcon on
    edited July 2010
    Well at least we have a lot of suspects.

Farangu on
    edited July 2010
    Well at least we have a lot of suspects.

I dunno, figuring out the science officer shouldn't be too hard.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited July 2010
    Especially since only one person on the ship has reason to lie

Farangu on