As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] : Are you in the Alpha/Beta? Cause I'm not :(

1596061626365»

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GD! Am I the only one not in this beta?

Decoy on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You and me, man. You and me.

And also Stiggy up there, I think.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was in the beta.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Decoy wrote: »
    GD! Am I the only one not in this beta?

Don't feel bad you aren't the only one. But there are a bunch of people who got in and subsequently decided they would waste their keys and not test the game anymore, or don't have rigs that can run the game.

So you can wallow in despair with the rest of us on that front at least :(

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • markRAWRmarkRAWR Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    So i take it no one can help me with my problem?

Well nevermind my mate let me use his login so when he isn't playing i can ply and vice versa. Woud just have beennice if my problem could be sorted. I asked on the beta forums to find out that admin and such don't post on the forums and taht no one could help. I just hoped someone had the same problem and overcame it.

markRAWR on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i am currently signed up for 4 mmos in beta. i am not in any of them D:

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I scored a 1200 or so. I can't wait to play!

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sooooo, I finally was able to get in the game and make a character. I made it as far as the first little encampment where you do your first levequest, and the game wouldn't allow me to attack the enemies and then proceeded to crash. There were system messages popping up begging people to go to a different area because that particular area was overcrowded but I didn't listen. =P

That being said, the game is pretty gorgeous so far. I already like the feel of it, and so if they can actually get the servers to work I can see myself really digging into this game. The way the system works of using AP to assign attacks so you get to basically mix and match stuff from all your different jobs just sounds absolutely fantastic.

I can't think of how many times I've played a MMO and thought man I wish I had this one ability of that other class on this class. Bam, you can have that in this game. =)

Joshmvii on
    edited July 2010
    Also, I scored just over 2000 on the benchmark with my dual core e6600 2.4 Ghz(overclocked to 3.0 Ghz), 4 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, and a Geforce 9800 GT video card. The game runs very well so far in 1920x1200 res. It's not perfect by any means, and pretty sluggish with 30+ other people nearby, but easily playable. The fears about getting the game to run on older machines are overblown for sure.

Joshmvii on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I can't think of how many times I've played a MMO and thought man I wish I had this one ability of that other class on this class. Bam, you can have that in this game. =)
    Champions Online?

Glal on
  • SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is it just me, or is the mob population of this game a bit low? Felt like for low levels there was only one mob for each 5 PC's. And you really get a sense of boredom the moment you run out of levee's to complete. Hopefully they reduce the time it takes for the levees to replenish, or provide several more.

Sigtyr on
    edited July 2010
    I'm wondering if maybe their idea is just to have the guildleves but then once you've done them it's just a matter of partying up and grinding like FFXI? At least from my first taste it did not seem that this will be a game where you level by questing in the standard WoW sense. Honestly, if the combat is fun enough I'm all for forced partying and having to just kill shit. As long as there are going to be skillchains.

Also, can anybody tell me if I can use a standard PS3 controller to control this game? If so, can I merely plug it in via a USB cable and go? As expected, the mouse is horrible in this, and I can't figure a good way to pan my camera using the keyboard. It just feels awkward since I'm not used to it, and I think a controller would be the way to go.

Joshmvii on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    I think so too. They moved the camera controls off of the arrow keys for this one, which was a comfortable place for them in FFXI.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm wondering if maybe their idea is just to have the guildleves but then once you've done them it's just a matter of partying up and grinding like FFXI? At least from my first taste it did not seem that this will be a game where you level by questing in the standard WoW sense. Honestly, if the combat is fun enough I'm all for forced partying and having to just kill shit. As long as there are going to be skillchains.

Also, can anybody tell me if I can use a standard PS3 controller to control this game? If so, can I merely plug it in via a USB cable and go? As expected, the mouse is horrible in this, and I can't figure a good way to pan my camera using the keyboard. It just feels awkward since I'm not used to it, and I think a controller would be the way to go.
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    A couple questions:

If I use utorrent to download the thing as described above, will that be all I need to download? I'm not too familiar with downloading torrents, but after my square-enix downloader crapped out at like 85% after 30+ hours of downloading I figured I'll go this route to save my sanity.

Can I just use my regular PS3 controller connected via USB to play?

You have to download drivers, and you have to leave it plugged in via USB.

I suggest using these, since they are the least shady. http://dl.qj.net/playstation-3/tools-and-utilities/sixaxis-driver-for-pc.html

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Still can't get in....

I didn't even get that pissed about it.

Endomatic on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    yeah so to the guys pissed about not being able to play, this was all after they tried to allow server choices right? try not to be tooooo pissed as before that it was going pretty smoothly. maybe wait until that gets fixed up before trying again.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited July 2010
    I'm not payin nothin so it's all good, I just wish it'd work long enough to let me play.

Frustrating to create a character (thrice!) and then crash to desktop or time out is all.

Endomatic on
  • draw4wilddraw4wild Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is the mob population of this game a bit low? Felt like for low levels there was only one mob for each 5 PC's. And you really get a sense of boredom the moment you run out of levee's to complete. Hopefully they reduce the time it takes for the levees to replenish, or provide several more.

No it is stupid low. The problem is is that the first camp only has a few wharf rats around it that everyone is trying to kill. Meanwhile there's a ton of dodos, aldgoats, roselings and puks that will one/two shot you if you try to attack. Considering the game won't let me trade leves once I was done with the first 4 in 20 min I was forced trying to fight for spawns. Leves to me atm are only there to give me extra mobs to kill since they only give like 50gil now and no xp, I only had 2 that gave me an armor reward but it was the same shoes for both. If they want leves to be the way you log on and level they really need to make it so you could never exhaust them and they need to give an xp reward

Side note, if you run down by the lighthouse you go to for the treasures of the main quest, you'll find lost ewes you can kill a little slower than the rats. You'll find a few other people killing there but no where near the amount by zephyr gate. I thought leveling was slow, but once I actually found mobs to kill, I got a 7pug/10phy in like 40 minutes which isnt too bad

draw4wild on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    leves are amazing and they should just make those repeatable. leve (quest) spawns are yours and yours alone, and are shown on your minimap exactly where they are and when you hit and claim them is when other players can finally see them.

then like the other guy said you complete your leves in about an hour then have to fight for crap spawns that will probably slaughter you

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In alpha the leves were on something like a 30 minute cooldown. You could exchange them for new ones nonstop and it was a very convenient and natural feeling source of money and starter gear.

The change to a 48 hour cooldown is just utterly baffling and honestly kind of ruins the game.

Maybe there are scads of other adventuring systems in the game that they aren't showing us and the cooldown isn't such a big deal. Square is either too crazy or stupid to let us test them, or even say that they exist at all.

Really not a fan of the almost adversarial relationship the FFXI/FFXIV team has taken with its customers.

Scosglen on
  • JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just can not get back to using the control scheme. it's very similar to ffxi and before wow I was used to it since it was the only MMO I was playing. After wow though, I'm completely baffled that the control scheme isn't optimized for KBAM. It feels ... clunky to me. Maybe if I had a PS2 controller hooked up to my rig it might be different.

The combat isn't bad but it does seem to flow slow. Even with the ATB bar and cool downs combat is more interactive but the speed seems slow. I'm wondering if its just because it's beta and they plan on speeding things up when they hopefully get the game fully coded and partially / fully optimized.

I haven't seen any bugs per say. Some graphical glitches like the trees flickering when a windstorm is around (unless that's an effect to simulate blowing leaves) but over fairly smooth. That mouse camera needs to be fixed to where it moves as the mouse moves, not spins faster the farther from center you are. That gets annoying and you find yourself using ijkl to change the camera more often.

I do like that the mobs you need for the guild leves are spawned for you and not for global. Makes it easier for completing the quests and not waiting 2 hours to get 6 mobs if 300 people are on the same leve.

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Scosglen wrote: »
    In alpha the leves were on something like a 30 minute cooldown. You could exchange them for new ones nonstop and it was a very convenient and natural feeling source of money and starter gear.

The change to a 48 hour cooldown is just utterly baffling and honestly kind of ruins the game.

Maybe there are scads of other adventuring systems in the game that they aren't showing us and the cooldown isn't such a big deal. Square is either too crazy or stupid to let us test them, or even say that they exist at all.

Really not a fan of the almost adversarial relationship the FFXI/FFXIV team has taken with its customers.

I hope that the excessive cooldown is due to them wanting to test field performance, or something of the sort.

Turkey on
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Turkey wrote: »

I hope that the excessive cooldown is due to them wanting to test field performance, or something of the sort.

This is honestly the dealbreaker right here. As pessimistic as I am, I will more than likely cave in and buy this game because I am a giant god damn sucker. The only way I won't is if I can't effectively quest my way to max level (such as it is). Well two things. What I just said and a reliance on FFA world map bosses for the end game. Worst fucking shit ever, instance me up for maximum happiness.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • markRAWRmarkRAWR Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    Well i did well XD I scored 328 in the benchmark from my laptop, can't wat to see how my laptop holds up with teh beta XD

markRAWR on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    I just can not get back to using the control scheme. it's very similar to ffxi and before wow I was used to it since it was the only MMO I was playing. After wow though, I'm completely baffled that the control scheme isn't optimized for KBAM.

That's kinda disheartening, and sort of a kick in the teeth to my wanting to play the PC version. That sadly was the #1 thing I was worried about and hoping to get into the beta to see if I could make it work.

After picking up XI through a Steam sale and trying to play that for a week, I just couldn't do get the KBAM to feel even remotely like what has now become the standard in 95% of MMOs. Even trying it out with a controller wasn't really my thing, but it was easier. It just baffles me they wouldn't update their PC control scheme for XIV. Just feels like an odd mix of stubborn and lazy.

Decoy on
    edited July 2010

I made a sarcastic comment earlier in the thread about how they'd stretch 30 hours of content into 1000, but maybe I was right and maybe this is how they'll do it.

Endomatic on
  • Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Decoy wrote: »
    It just baffles me they wouldn't update their PC control scheme for XIV. Just feels like an odd mix of stubborn and lazy.

Square always has their "vision" for how a game should play and be played, and god help you if your opinion of how it should work doesn't mesh with theirs.

They've been like this pretty much forever - almost every console FF game has fundamentally altered major parts of the game functionality just because the developers felt like it.

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Square always has their "vision" for how a game should play and be played, and god help you if your opinion of how it should work doesn't mesh with theirs.

They've been like this pretty much forever - almost every console FF game has fundamentally altered major parts of the game functionality just because the developers felt like it.

Which is a shame because this game as a lot going for it. The UI is about the only thing, beyond the terrible performance of the engine, that will hold me back from playing.

Magic Radio on
This discussion has been closed.