As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Street Fighter X Tekken: Game out now. 12 characters DLC incoming. Day 1 patching.

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Street fighter vs street fighter 2010.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's only one character in 2010.

And his name is Ken.

I remember being so disappointed renting that game way back when. So disappointed.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There better be some Zangief x Jack russian dancing action.

I don't care much for Tekken's gameplay, but I love the characters. I didn't think the idea would work until I saw the gameplay clip.

Edit - Also Rufus x Bob

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I have never actually seen anything relating to street fighter 2010 other than the boxart. :P

Antihippy on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    vf vs doa

That's a similarly awesome vs terrible duo to Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat, which I'm guessing was your point.

Anyway, I'm surprised Capcom would team up with Namco again after what happened with Namco X Capcom (Capcom wanted a worldwide release, Namco refused) but this is pretty interesting. Not sure if I'll buy either since I'm not much of a SF fan and I skipped Tekken 6 because it wasn't that great. They've my interest though.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Still, in my dreams Itagaki finally gets that Sega job he's always wanted and the first thing he does is make VF3tb vs DOA2. I would buy that game sight unseen, with or without net play, on any system, and play it for the rest of time.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    mutantmagnetmutantmagnet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    One of the things that bugs me about this crossover is that characters will be present in both games. How many of you guys would mind if both games divided their huge rosters to the point they don't use the same characters?

I would love to see the roster split down like this.

Street Fighter x Tekken
    Ryu		Kazuya Mishima
    Sagat		Marshall Law
    T. Hawk		Yoshimitsu
    Guile		Lei Wulong
    Bison		Armor King
    Chun Li		Jin Kazama
    Rolento		Ogre
    Rainbow Mika	Eddy Gordo
    Sodom		Julia Chang
    Rose		Bryan Fury
    Yun/Yang		Ganryu
    Hugo		Wang Jinrei
    Alex		Roger/Alex
    Ibuki		Mokujin
    Remy		Baek Doo San	
    Sean		Asuka Kazama
    Q		Lili Rochefort
    Necro		Miguel Caballero Rojo 	
    Abel		Jinpachi Mishima
    Gouken		Lars Alexandersson
    Geki		Nina Williams
    Hagar		Jack-6
    Juni/Juli		Combot

Tekken x Street Fighter
    Ken		Paul Pheonix
    Vega		Heihachi Mishima
    Akuma		King
    Zangief		Michelle Chang
    Cammy		Lee Chaolan
    Blanka		Prototype Jack
    EHonda		Kuma/Panda
    Dhalsim		Ling Xiaoyu
    Sakura		Bruce Irving
    Karin		Anna Williams
    Birdie		Steve Fox
    Charlie		Craig Marduk
    Adon		Fang Wei
    Dudley		Bob
    Makoto		Raven
    Elena		Sergei Dragunov
    Oro		Devil Jin/Angel
    Twelve		Leo Kliesen
    Crimson Viper	Christie Monteiro
    Juri		Kunimitsu
    Seth 		Zafina
    Rufus		Alisa Boskonovitch
    Hakan		Jun Kazama/Devil Jun

mutantmagnet on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Don't see how that's a big factor since they'll play completely differently.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    One of the things that bugs me about this crossover is that characters will be present in both games. How many of you guys would mind if both games divided their huge rosters to the point they don't use the same characters?

No, that is the worst idea. Even if a character is in both games, they're going to play pretty differently simply because their games have different mechanics. Split the roster and you're splitting your userbase.

Also, who the hell is Devil Jun?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    LuthonLuthon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Meh to many SF3 characters on both rosters. They should follow the formula they did with SFIV it works and it pleases most fans.

Luthon on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Turkey wrote: »
    Rufus x Bob

epic

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

No, that is the worst idea. Even if a character is in both games, they're going to play pretty differently simply because their games have different mechanics. Split the roster and you're splitting your userbase.

Jun kazama is revealed to be actually alive, only that she's resurrected as a devil.

What tweeeeest.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Doctor B and Gon from Tekken 3 or no dice.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    mutantmagnetmutantmagnet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Devil Jun is a fan designation for the boss in Tekken Tag that has no name. She shares a lot of Jun's movelist hence the designation.

Sure characters will play differently because of the formats but why put something like the shoto roster in both games? How many variations on hadukens and dragon punches do you want to see? Or how about the slim variation between grapplers?

This method helps to make the products a lot more different then they would if they shared characters. In spite of your excessive vitriol thanks for your input looking forward to more.
    Luthon wrote: »
    Meh to many SF3 characters on both rosters. They should follow the formula they did with SFIV it works and it pleases most fans.

I was pretty disappointed not to see Sean or Hugo in SFIV. I'm not as big of fan of SF as I am of Tekken but I don't think the roster was too unpopular. People just didn't like the way the game itself played unlike turbo or alpha.

mutantmagnet on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Godamn small characters in fighting games suck. So much.

Doctor B would be kind of neat, though.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    LuthonLuthon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Luthon wrote: »

I was pretty disappointed not to see Sean or Hugo in SFIV. I'm not as big of fan of SF as I am of Tekken but I don't think the roster was too unpopular. People just didn't like the way the game itself played unlike turbo or alpha.

Sean was an inferior Dan who was way more awesome than Sean ever was. Hugo is just a Zangief wannabe.

Luthon on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I figure King would have an easy time getting ported. He's Zangief with Abel-level mobility.

They said that the game would be based on SF4, so did anyone notice any Focus Attacks come out?

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow, I slept through a lot of news today.

SF X Tekken looks pretty awesome, I'm interested to see what SF characters look and play like in the T6 engine for Tekken X SF.

I also wonder if the characters will have different control schemes to match the game they're in. Like, if Tekken characters will have SF-like motions in SF X Tekken and vice versa. I guess they'll have to.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Not necessarily. Tekken already has its fair share of fireball and dragonpunch motions, so there's no reason to change the moves for Street Fighter characters. Capcom could keep Tekken moves the same, since they're mostly direction+button, but it would make as much sense to give each character their signature moves as Street Fighter inputs and some others as command normals.

What will be interesting to see is how much of Tekken Capcom borrows. Wallsplats? Tech traps? Bounds? Giving a bunch of characters reversals? Multipart throws? Free alternate costumes? Well, Tekken took all that stuff from Virtua Fighter anyway, so if they want distinct Tekken-ness it'd have to be power-up and unblockables.

If Namco is just making a Tekken 6 extension, there wouldn't be much stopping them from porting the entire character customization system along with everything else. How will Capcom look selling new costumes next to that.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Maybe Crouch Dash and forward/quick recovery would be a common mechanic.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll admit, watching Kazuya perform the Mishima kicks (forgot what it was called) against Ryu got me all giddy.

That, and the return of Rival Schools-type team attacks. Can't wait to see some of the crazy crossovers they'll come up with.

And I'm hoping for an epic Zangief/Kuma rivalry story. The former wants to fight the legendary bear, and the latter wants to avenge all his dead brethren.

Shit will be epic.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Maybe Crouch Dash and forward/quick recovery would be a common mechanic.

Tekken doesn't have a universal crouch dash, that's Virtua Fighter.

But quick recovery techs would basically mean some form of tech trap. Probably not a complete reset trap, maybe something more like the recovery rolls in the old Versus games.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh, I thought everybody had that crouch dash thing in Tekken.

Wait wait wait
    I hope this means Easy mode shortcuts are out
    If so, fuck yeah

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Tekken already has its fair share of fireball and dragonpunch motions.

They're really strict too.

I keep messing up dragunov's QCF moves. :(

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I would titter madly if Capcom puts Tekken's throw breaks into the game. Tekken's got the most useless throws of any 3d fighter, but it would be ridiculous for Street Fighter.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Just be glad they're not adding blazblue throws.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Never played competitive Tekken so why is their throw tech useless?

Also, what's with Blazblue's throws?

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    Stand, Killer QueenStand, Killer Queen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Probably because you can whiff it? I don't play competitive either, but I enjoyed landing throws on my friends. ...Who I admit weren't exactly tournament tier players...

Stand, Killer Queen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Blazblue throws are throws which takes 7 frames to start up, has an incredibly lenient throw tech window, and gives you a big !! if you happened to get grab.

So, basically.

Shit.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Because Tekken is the only 3d fighter that has a tell built into the pre-throw animation, taking all guessing out of the equation as long as you can react in time. In high level play it's rare for most to even bother with throws, where in other 3d fighters throws are standard mixup and punishment tools.

Also, throws are high in 3d fighters, so you can crouch under them. But that's not very important.

There is a very, very, very small window for late breaks in Soulcalibur that would theoretically allow a player to know which throw to escape, but it's too fast and too risky for anyone to bother with.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Blazblue throws are throws which takes 7 frames to start up, has an incredibly lenient throw tech window, and gives you a big !! if you happened to get grab.

So, basically.

Shit.

Wow. That's crappy.
    Because Tekken is the only 3d fighter that has a tell built into the pre-throw animation, taking all guessing out of the equation as long as you can react in time.

You mean the hand glowing thing? But you had to choose if it's left or right, right?

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Not that blazblue throws are completely useless, seeing that it's good as a surprise once in awhile, and they often actually lead to pretty good damage unlike most games.

But yeah.

Could be better. Should be better.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    Stand, Killer QueenStand, Killer Queen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wouldn't all be the same if viewing from the side? A hand glowing is a hand glowing. Especially when the animation is the character leaning out for a big ol' bear hug.

Stand, Killer Queen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's not a hand glowing, it's a hand reaching.

Basically, you have a left throw and a right throw.

If they reach with their left arm out front then you break left, if they reach with the right then you break right. If they reach with both then you break both. As long as you can see which arm is on top then you always know which throw to break. In other 3d fighters the reaching animation is the same, with only a few exceptions, and catch throws, so you have to guess which throw to break based on damage and positioning, which creates mindgames. In Tekken you just react.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So will the Tekken cast recieve all new moves for these games? Because otherwise, I can't see them standing up to the Street Fighter crew and their fireballs and over-the-top attacks.

T-Danger on
  • Options
    OrmussOrmuss Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is nice and all, but man oh man am I disappointed that this isn't Capcom vs Namco, rather than just Street Fighter vs Tekken. :(

Ormuss on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    T-Danger wrote: »
    So will the Tekken cast recieve all new moves for these games? Because otherwise, I can't see them standing up to the Street Fighter crew and their fireballs and over-the-top attacks.

You see I never got this mindset.

It's not like all of the top/high tier in SSF4 are composed of projectile characters eg balrog, rufus, abel, dictator, etc etc.

Plus we've already seen kazuya wave dash under a hadouken.

Do people really think they won't design them to fit into the system?

Antihippy on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Has it been made clear whether the tagging is just for ultra attacks or if it'll be more like Tekken Tag Tournament? That kinda confuses me.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Tekken Tag would be interesting, since it used a pretty unique tag system, and often had multiple rounds to a match. But losing as soon as one character is KOd may not go over with a Capcom crowd that's used to having 2 or 3 characters to fall back on.

The style of tagging shown in the gameplay reveal was more of the Rival Schools or early 2000s era King of Fighters variety, with the second character only showing up as an assist or during supers, with maybe the option to switch primary characters between rounds.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really only mentioned Tekken Tag because it's the only fighting game with tagging I've played. I was really only thinking of the ability to tag at any time and not the other more specific things.

Peewi on