As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Minecraft] - rock is my life (multiplayer survival out now)

• Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    so i paid the $13 for this because i enjoyed minecraft before and i love sandbox games, i can't for the life of me figure out the ingredient to make a torch, obviously its a stick and something else D:

Coal and stick, coal on top. Use the Minecraft wiki or be prepared for a lot of frustration!

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey VALVEjunkie I've seen in the other thread that you're quite good with importing pictures, could you explain to me how this works?

Also this is quite cool: "You can place a painting and then delete the block the painting is in front of and the the painting will still stay in place (...) you can walk through the painting (...) secret study (...)"

oh its easy, just press PRINTSCREEN and then open your image editing software of choice and press Ctrl+v to import the picture and then just save it

then upload it with imageshack or photobucker or whatever

also, that painting trick goes away when you exit and come back, they stay in place for a second and then fall down :?

VALVEjunkie on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanks!

That video is nice, but don't be fooled by the peaceful music, in the underground section the only sound you will hear is the constant moaning of zombies locked up behind the walls.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've seen a lot of info about this around, finally checked it out, looks pretty rad and fun, I will be playing this a bunch tonight it looks like.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    so I looked at the development blog and this guy seems to be updating at a furious pace. I personally have finally gotten tired of DF after a few years and the way it's heading.... based on a really old version I vaguely remember i think this is something I should get behind

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This video has just sold me I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwr79lPRrFI

Merciful God.

Hexmage-PA on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Crap... I don't think it was me that did it. I was digging and I hit this water source... but as far as I could tell it only flooded this little enclosed spot. Then like 5 minutes later everything started stalling and the whole world flooded... but I don't think it was because of my smaller flood. was it? What happened? (I also had fully contained and stopped the flood by that point, mind you: all the water was stopped up with sponges and the hole was plugged)

I got banned... but I don't think it could've been me that did it! I had fully contained the small flood I caused before this big one hit.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited July 2010
    Crap... I don't think it was me that did it. I was digging and I hit this water source... but as far as I could tell it only flooded this little enclosed spot. Then like 5 minutes later everything started stalling and the whole world flooded... but I don't think it was because of my smaller flood. was it? What happened? (I also had fully contained and stopped the flood by that point, mind you: all the water was stopped up with sponges and the hole was plugged)

I got banned... but I don't think it could've been me that did it! I had fully contained the small flood I caused before this big one hit.

you did WHAT?!

VALVEjunkie on
    edited July 2010
    I don't know! I don't think it could've been me. The whole world got flooded... but before that, I had a small flood that I contained and patched up. I had just finished patching it up like a minute or two before this big flood came in... I don't think it could've been mine, because it would've happened right away right?

All I know is I was digging into what looked to be an undeveloped mountainside, I wanted to make something to add to the world... and as I was digging I hit this random underground lake that someone must've put in... I plugged up the hole immediately and went about putting sponges everywhere, but as far as I could tell it only flooded the chamber I'd dug out and a small valley next to where I'd started digging. I got both the cave and the valley completely water free using the sponges, and then all of a sudden the whole world covered in water. But I'd been already doing my cleanup for like 5 minutes at least, and had already completed said cleanup. Unless it doesn't work like that? I'm confused.

VThornheart on
    edited July 2010
    who else was on the server with you

VALVEjunkie on
    edited July 2010
    and where was this "small flood"

VALVEjunkie on
    edited July 2010
    Flock3, he saw me cleaning up in fact: he can cooborate the limited extent of the flooding that mine caused.

Or at least I think it was only limited, unless there's some kind of delay somehow or something... but that'd be a really long delay. I was cleaning up for at least 5 minutes I'd say. Heck, maybe even 10 minutes, I don't know how much time had passed.

The valley was this little enclosed area with trees in it... it was on the other side of a mountain that was near a corner of the map. I can't remember what was in the corner. I think there was a floating castle nearby, but I can't remember for sure.

VThornheart on
    edited July 2010
    what is your minecraft username?

VALVEjunkie on
    edited July 2010
    EdgarVerona

I was totally freaking out, because I had just finished cleaning up my flood and suddenly the world was covered in water... honestly, I don't know enough about the rules of the world to know whether something like that could happen and it was just delayed reaction to my flood or what...

VThornheart on
    edited July 2010
    well, the way water works in creative is all kinds of fucked in that one block can and will multiply until the whole world is flooded so...

where did this happen?

VALVEjunkie on
    edited July 2010
    also, we cant unban you until fortitude gets home so sorry!

VALVEjunkie on
    edited July 2010
    It was at a mountainside that was near a corner of the map. I think it was near the floating castle if I remember correctly, there's a mountain near it and that's where I was digging. I can't remember any other major landmarks other than that and the little valley with trees in it. By little, I mean like perhaps 50 x 50 squares... I could show you if I could get in there.

I really, really hope it wasn't mine that caused it. It looked to me like I'd cleaned up everything without any harm, but I just don't know now.

EDIT: is there an easy way to fix it/a backup for this kind of situation? =(

VThornheart on
    edited July 2010
    okay, thats not specific enough

was it next to the big FORTS MAZE sign or the great deku tree?

VALVEjunkie on
    edited July 2010
    I think it wasn't near the forts maze... I guess it wasn't far from the deku tree, but the deku tree is kind of central. oh! If I remember correctly, I think it was near a big golden structure in a corner.

The mountain I was carving into was flush against the side of the map if that helps for locating purposes. If Flock3 is on, ask him to show you where it was: he flew down while I was working on cleaning up the water, he knows where it is... I think I could show you where it was if I was in there or if I could see a map of the world, but I don't think either of those options are possible right now. =( Hopefully Flock3 remembers where he found me.

VThornheart on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Flock3, he saw me cleaning up in fact: he can cooborate the limited extent of the flooding that mine caused.

Or at least I think it was only limited, unless there's some kind of delay somehow or something... but that'd be a really long delay. I was cleaning up for at least 5 minutes I'd say. Heck, maybe even 10 minutes, I don't know how much time had passed.

The valley was this little enclosed area with trees in it... it was on the other side of a mountain that was near a corner of the map. I can't remember what was in the corner. I think there was a floating castle nearby, but I can't remember for sure.

Flock3... O_o

that's a far cry from Fleck0, pretty shaky recollection of the scene there! :P

Though I did indeed run into him while flying around after building a little wang shrine in an underground part of the maze. Shortly after that I got D/C'd and went about my internet business so if there was some Noah-esque flooding I either just missed it or was disconnected by it.

mainly, although Vthorn clearly has a broken, deranged mind, he was just jumping around in a pit, he's no griefer

the area was around the big forts maze sign

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    okay, thanks

VALVEjunkie on
    edited July 2010
    Ah! lol, my memory is terrible =(

Aye, when I was jumping around down there what you saw was me putting down the sponges to clean up the mess I had made... but the mess I'd made (which was almost completely cleaned up when you dropped by) was nothing compared to what just happened. I did no further digging into the mountain after that initial flood that you saw me in the midst of cleaning up. =)

VThornheart on
  • TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't get the Custom Client Wrapper to work on my Mac.

Talka on
    edited July 2010
    custom... client wrapper?

VALVEjunkie on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's linked in the op, the flight, noclip, etc. client

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited July 2010
    oh yea, that thing

VALVEjunkie on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The bad news: Yup, everything is flooded.

The good news: I now have a underwater, underground, underlave temple

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't know! I don't think it could've been me. The whole world got flooded... but before that, I had a small flood that I contained and patched up. I had just finished patching it up like a minute or two before this big flood came in... I don't think it could've been mine, because it would've happened right away right?

All I know is I was digging into what looked to be an undeveloped mountainside, I wanted to make something to add to the world... and as I was digging I hit this random underground lake that someone must've put in... I plugged up the hole immediately and went about putting sponges everywhere, but as far as I could tell it only flooded the chamber I'd dug out and a small valley next to where I'd started digging. I got both the cave and the valley completely water free using the sponges, and then all of a sudden the whole world covered in water. But I'd been already doing my cleanup for like 5 minutes at least, and had already completed said cleanup. Unless it doesn't work like that? I'm confused.

Too much sin. If you'd been better you would've gotten the message to build an ark first.

I saw this game and thought it looked cool. I know people like the dwarf fortress ascii, but DF could be put into a graphical engine like this and benefit from it I think.

Yougottawanna on
    edited July 2010
    lol, apparently!

We did find the hole that caused it I think. It was from that same reservoir I hit earlier: someone was apparently digging on the other side (whoever was making the big yellow and red brick platform outside of the mountain). So yeah, a definite word of warning to anyone digging in the mountains: be wary of what's in there.

I'm thinking that if I do any further digging expeditions, I'll close all surfaces off behind me from now on before I start digging just in case. Hopefully everyone can take the same procautions. =)

VThornheart on
  • pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Talka wrote: »
    I can't get the Custom Client Wrapper to work on my Mac.

go to the help forum and look for the topic that says mac os x video walkthrough. It's on the first few pages. I couldn't get it to work either, but that video sorted it for me.

Also this game is like crack.

actually: http://www.worldofminecraft.com/node/1522

pabh on
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would pay $20, $30 or even $40 for this game if:

1) The client would be stand-alone.
    2) The maps would be saved locally.
    3) I could download maps from other people/connect to other people's maps.

Right now, as I understand it, it's mainly web based and run by one guy. That, plus the fact that it's very early alpha, makes me wait, but it does look extremely good.

PS. I tried to contact the author regarding how to play it, because on my Macbook Pro, the webpages where it says you can play it are empty in both Windows and OS X, and I can play other Java games just fine.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    eobet wrote: »
    I would pay $20, $30 or even $40 for this game if:

1) The client would be stand-alone.
    2) The maps would be saved locally.
    3) I could download maps from other people/connect to other people's maps.

Right now, as I understand it, it's mainly web based and run by one guy. That, plus the fact that it's very early alpha, makes me wait, but it does look extremely good.

PS. I tried to contact the author regarding how to play it, because on my Macbook Pro, the webpages where it says you can play it are empty in both Windows and OS X, and I can play other Java games just fine.

1) This exists, just not for the old version that we are currently running multiplayer.
    2) Same as above
    3) Downloading other peoples maps is already in, this is how they are doing a semi-multiplayer game over in SE. Connecting to other peoples maps is the next intended feature, hopefully coming out sometime in august.

Vic on
    edited July 2010
    uhh

1) there IS a stand alone client, it is for the alpha but you have to buy the game to use it
    2) they ARE saved locally but I'm not sure of the OSX directory
    3) you CAN download other peoples maps and he is working on survival multiplayer as we speak

E: dammit, Vic!

VALVEjunkie on
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I saw that link posted above on how to get it to work in OS X... not convinced though, because a lot of people in that thread can't get it to work. Also, you need to log in, still?

My worry is that what if the guy drops off the face of the earth tomorrow? Then the time I invested in the game will be for nothing, and I currently don't have that amount of time to spend.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
    edited July 2010
    uhh, dude this is full time job, he aint goin anywhere

plus, as soon as it hits Beta status the price will double so you're really just hurting yourself here

E: OF COURSE YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO PLAY, DUH!

VALVEjunkie on
  • pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I saw that link posted above on how to get it to work in OS X... not convinced though, because a lot of people in that thread can't get it to work. Also, you need to log in, still?

My worry is that what if the guy drops off the face of the earth tomorrow? Then the time I invested in the game will be for nothing, and I currently don't have that amount of time to spend.

tbh the mileage I can get out of just the alpha for me is definitely worth a tenner. I'm running both clients, the alpha and the classic mode for multiplayer, without any problems apart from a slight hiccup with the classic version. Have you updated Java on your mac recently? Maybe try it in a different browser?

pabh on
    edited July 2010
    I honestly don't have time right now to get mileage from anything, so I want something that's solid and that can last, hence, a nice stand alone package I can tinker with whenever I want, even when my laptop is not connected to the internet.

So, I guess I'll be one of those who pay 20 bucks for it. But hey, some has to, right, otherwise he won't make any money! :)

eobet on
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Some things you should know, if you're new to Minecraft.

-There's actually two Minecrafts. All this talk of floods and servers is Minecraft Creative, where you get an endless supply of bricks to place and remove at your leisure. There's a third-party client you can get with built in cheats (noclip and flying, if I remember correctly), and it's usually all about freebuilding. Last time I played creative, it was entirely free. It might still be - I have no idea.

-Then there's what's currently dubbed Minecraft Alpha (and until recently Minecraft Indev & Infdev,) which is the currently in-development survival mode. This is where you use tools, deal with monsters, look for gems, build traps and goose around in other cool ways. Notch has a development blog up and he recently started working on this thing full time. So there's new stuff showing up every single week. Alpha is currently singleplayer only, but multi is in the works and limited early testing has already begun.

This is probably my best ever use of ten euros.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
    edited July 2010
    I honestly don't have time right now to get mileage from anything, so I want something that's solid and that can last, hence, a nice stand alone package I can tinker with whenever I want, even when my laptop is not connected to the internet.

So, I guess I'll be one of those who pay 20 bucks for it. But hey, some has to, right, otherwise he won't make any money! :)

dude, I am telling you

WHEN YOU BUY THE GAME, THIS IS WHAT YOU GET

IT IS THAT SIMPLE

FUCK

VALVEjunkie on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

dude, I am telling you

WHEN YOU BUY THE GAME, THIS IS WHAT YOU GET

IT IS THAT SIMPLE

FUCK

You should listen to VALVE.

He's right, you know.

MechMantis on