As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Minecraft] - rock is my life (multiplayer survival out now)

• VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jesus christ what is this guys deal

I have said as much in three freaking posts and he still doesn't get it!

VALVEjunkie on
  • Lars_DomusLars_Domus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    eobet wrote: »
    Also, you need to log in, still?

My worry is that what if the guy drops off the face of the earth tomorrow? Then the time I invested in the game will be for nothing, and I currently don't have that amount of time to spend.

You just have to log in once, so the client can download the files it needs. After that you can run it offline whenever you like.

Lars_Domus on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Updated the OP with links to a map tracker, inventory manager and custom skins

This video might be relevant to your interests

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgsVw00rtpE

also check out part 6 on how to build an arrow hail cannon

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    minecraft's been around for years and years and years, and has been steadily updating

notch has a development blod, plus posts updates and makes videos and browses the community

I don't think it's going anywhere

Raneados on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I unflooded the Great Deku Tree. Don't ask me why.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I sponged up a random brick house. I really don't know what came over me.

Noxy on
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is there some issue with using a US debit card to purchase this? Paypal keeps rejecting mine saying I can't use it for the transaction :x. Did I mention how much I hate Paypal right now?

Yoshua on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    happened to me, just sign up for a paypal account, link your card, and tadaa

it added like 5 -10 extra minutes to the buying process but hey whatcha gonna do

Raneados on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So bought'd.

Rhan9 on
  • AlethiometerAlethiometer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Basil wrote: »
    I unflooded the Great Deku Tree. Don't ask me why.

It was much appreciated! But then I accidentally re-flooded it when I was cleaning up. So, oh well.

Alethiometer on
  • DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This all looks very interesting. Built myself a nice little ivory underground tower earlier. Will probably buy it some time in the near future.

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lars_Domus wrote: »
    Also, you need to log in, still?

My worry is that what if the guy drops off the face of the earth tomorrow? Then the time I invested in the game will be for nothing, and I currently don't have that amount of time to spend.

You just have to log in once, so the client can download the files it needs. After that you can run it offline whenever you like.

Ah, thanks for the info. :)

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    cleared the ban list, guy is unbanned (not sure he was banned actually)

i am pretty sure that just emptying all the water with the map editor is the right thing to do, to preserve all the work g&ters put into the server

i really dislike rolling back the map

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • LunysgwenLunysgwen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I finished Starship P-3! Go Navy!

Lunysgwen on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fort1tude wrote: »

i am pretty sure that just emptying all the water with the map editor is the right thing to do, to preserve all the work g&ters put into the server

heh sorry for that Fort. Does this mean there will be absolutely no water titles from now on?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just invested way too much time into this game. Enjoy the fish tank!

crucialityfactor on
    edited July 2010
    Fort1tude wrote: »

heh sorry for that Fort. Does this mean there will be absolutely no water titles from now on?

i am seriously contemplating that, but i will probably just put water very low in the valleys

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • Hey AshtrayHey Ashtray Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So if I want to play on the PA server, I should buy the 10 dollar client? Or are you guys playing classic multiplayer for free?

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Classic multiplayer is the only multiplayer at the moment.

MechMantis on
    edited July 2010
    I seem to be unable to play the classic in my browser, it loads but then it's just a black screen. I'm on a mac, my java is the most up to date, and I've tried it on both safari and firefox.

Is there anywhere I can download the client to play multiplayer in a non-browser way?

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    But buy it either way: when you get a feel for how fun it is, you'll see that this guy deserves your 13 bucks.

EDIT: You get the full client download link once you buy it!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited July 2010
    Cool, and I can join the classic multiplayer with that client?

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hmm, I believe you can. I don't actually know for sure... I ended up using the mod linked in the OP to connect, which is a local client as well (and basically just a wrapper for the .jar file that the web version uses). You still need to have the full copy I believe in order to use it (though I could be mistaken), but follow the steps linked in the OP and you should be able to use it.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kris_xk, you should know that I'm really sorry for flooding your temple with lava and that it was a complete accident. For some reason I keep left clicking at times I want to right click.

EDIT: I think I see how the lava can be removed and I'll try to fix it.

Peewi on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Haha, don't worry, that wasn't so much a rage quit as it was a "fuckit" quit. God know's we've all pressed the wrong button before.

If you don't feel up to it just leave it and I can clean it up later. It's not too bad, the framework is still there.

EDIT: Just dont flood the cave, otherwise you will be fucked. That is a huge pain in the ass to fix.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
    edited July 2010
    I think I know how I can fix it. It'll take a while and the progress will involve removing the ceiling, but I'm pretty sure it'll work.

Peewi on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh my God why did you have to make a thread about this game?

I seriously just played this game for 10 hours straight.

Hexmage-PA on
    edited July 2010
    I seem to be unable to play the classic in my browser, it loads but then it's just a black screen. I'm on a mac, my java is the most up to date, and I've tried it on both safari and firefox.

Is there anywhere I can download the client to play multiplayer in a non-browser way?

I have the same problem. I'm on OS X, other Java games run fine, Minecraft? Simply refuses to show anything.

A while back I contacted the author about this, and did not receive a reply.

Since I'm weak I bought the game now... still haven't received any download link. Crossing my fingers.

EDIT: Found the client on the website... downloaded, ran it and logged in... first thing I saw where sheep jumping down a hillside... took me two seconds to absolutely fall in love.

I'm very glad that I didn't need those weird terminal instructions posted for the mac earlier... but, does this mean I'm playing an old version now?

EDIT: Since I can't play in a browser, it seems I need an invite code to have a look at the PA server. How does that work?

EDIT: Ok, here's what got me confused, thinking that it was an online only affair... there exists only one single link to a download location of a client, and nearly all other places only mention that you play it in a browser window. Further, the wiki and everywhere refer to different versions, like alpha, indev, classic and so on that isn't really fully explained on the main website (which is spartan to say the least). And now that I bought it, clicked to download it and am playing single-player, I don't even have the basic pick axe tool and no idea where to get it, and I can't find even a mention on how to get started on neither the main page or the wiki site...

But it's alpha, and I wasn't expecting to be able to play it until beta, so I'm not complaining, I'm just explaining that there's a lot of opportunities to get confused and lost when you want to try out this game (especially since it doesn't seem to work in the browser on Macs).

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
    edited July 2010
    No invite codes, just jump straight in (you need to be logged in I think). It's creator mode with infinite block supply, go crazy. No, hold, not crazy as in "I will flood everything with LAVA!"

edit: There is alink to the minecraft wiki crafting guide in the OP. You start with hacking some wood with your bare fists, then construct a worktable, place it and right-click on it to open the crafting window with 9 spaces. Now you can build a pick axe by correctly placing the sticks into the right order. Oh, and at night, I suggest you find a place to hide. And the only two versions which you need to be concerned about right now is alpha (survival) and creator mode, whatever it is called.

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited July 2010
    Kris, I managed to completely unflood your underlava temple and I promise to never touch it again.

Peewi on
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    eobet, I've already written this down, but I'll sum it up again real quick.

Creative: The classic multiplayer mode where you can build and destory whatever whenever. A free-build mode. Digital Legos for nerds. PA server is running this version. You play it in-browser. That said, there's a third party client that might work. I say might since I haven't used it for about a year now.

Alpha - The currently in-the-works Survival mode, where resources are limited and monsters go Boo! at night. Crafting, item managment, crazy awesome level generator and weekly updates are all up in this version. Currently SP only, with limited MP testing going on. Hopefully we'll see MP Survival within a month.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
    edited July 2010
    Double layers of glass guys, I tell you that's the trick.

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited July 2010
    No invite codes, just jump straight in (you need to be logged in I think). It's creator mode with infinite block supply, go crazy. No, hold, not crazy as in "I will flood everything with LAVA!"

edit: There is alink to the minecraft wiki crafting guide in the OP. You start with hacking some wood with your bare fists, then construct a worktable, place it and right-click on it to open the crafting window with 9 spaces. Now you can build a pick axe by correctly placing the sticks into the right order. Oh, and at night, I suggest you find a place to hide. And the only two versions which you need to be concerned about right now is alpha (survival) and creator mode, whatever it is called.

Thanks! The wiki doesn't seem to mention how to create tools.

Also, the client I downloaded from the official website doesn't mention survival or creator. Confusion abound! :(
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    eobet, I've already written this down, but I'll sum it up again real quick.

Creative: The classic multiplayer mode where you can build and destory whatever whenever. A free-build mode. Digital Legos for nerds. PA server is running this version. You play it in-browser. That said, there's a third party client that might work. I say might since I haven't used it for about a year now.

Alpha - The currently in-the-works Survival mode, where resources are limited and monsters go Boo! at night. Crafting, item managment, crazy awesome level generator and weekly updates are all up in this version. Currently SP only, with limited MP testing going on. Hopefully we'll see MP Survival within a month.

Ok, so I apparently can't play classic. I'll wait until the downloadable client gets working multiplayer then. Thanks!

PS. This might ruin someone's life, but only someone who's life is already in ruins could accomplish this:

Has anyone constructed a Zelda map in Minecraft yet? :)

eobet on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can not find coal to save my life. Any help?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
    edited July 2010
    PS. This might ruin someone's life, but only someone who's life is already in ruins could accomplish this:

Has anyone constructed a Zelda map in Minecraft yet? :)

Well, there is at least one Zelda texturepack and an isometric viewer, so the answer is: possibly!

I think the wiki is quite clear on how to craft objects: just open the inventory with "i", put the materials in the right order in the crafting window, and drag the desired crafted object out.
    I can not find coal to save my life. Any help?

You sometimes find coal on the ouside of mountains or in caves, but it's generally in deeper areas at around sea level. You need to use a pick axe though.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    OKAY That is officially the scariest shit.

I found a big cave, thinking "okay, I'll find some coal ore here." So I set up a furnace, since that's the only light source I have. I'm looking around for coal ore (none), and my furnace goes out. AND THEN SOMETHING ROARS. I broke down my furnace and got the fuck out.

EDIT: WOO COAL!

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
    edited July 2010
    ok i unflooded the world, got a bit overzealous with how much i removed but i am tired of having to deflood my maps so it is going to stay this way for now

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    OKAY That is officially the scariest shit.

I found a big cave, thinking "okay, I'll find some coal ore here." So I set up a furnace, since that's the only light source I have. I'm looking around for coal ore (none), and my furnace goes out. AND THEN SOMETHING ROARS. I broke down my furnace and got the fuck out.

I found a huge cave really close to my spawn point, so I've been going down there to gather iron and a bit of gold. I haven't seen that many monsters in it, which makes me feel it's storing its' power to unleash something evil upon me when I'm vulnerable.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
    edited July 2010
    ssssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited July 2010
    My first world was so beautifully shaped with the most amazing natural rock arch formations... then I went down into a dark cave and couldn't find my way out, so I had to delete it and restart. :(

How can you respawn out of a dark cave, and is it possible to sleep through the nights?

PS. Found the crafting wiki now so I now understand how to craft tools. Thank you!

eobet on