As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starcraft 2] Single Player/Custom Map discussions *Use spoiler tags!*

• undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    well that's two games, cd's fill up to what, 680mb? 1.2gb isn't that outlandish for two games that were distributed via cd

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Some_tall_guySome_tall_guy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    well that's two games, cd's fill up to what, 680mb? 1.2gb isn't that outlandish for two games that were distributed via cd

For some reason I remember my starcraft folder being 90mb. But I guess that makes sense if its just an ISO or something

Some_tall_guy on
    LOL ZEALURKS
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blizzard used streaming of video off the CD, I believe.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think Blizzard mentioned before that the plot characters would be badass in the SC2 campaign so you actually want to use them instead of just hiding them in a corner of the map so they won't die.

Zek on
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Spaffy wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I just watched all of the Cinematics because I have no willpower.

Parts 2 and 3 will be very, very interesting...

Heh. I'm trying to stay spoiler free as possible. Maybe I should just unhook the internet for the next two days? Yeah right. Can't wait!!

Interestingly, there isn't that much info given away in the cinematics, except perhaps the very final one. I think the bulk of the story will be told through mission intros and in-game cutscenes. Which I don't think are online, and if they are Ireally can't be bothered to watch.

I for one was surprised by the ending.

Really? I predicted that ending like 3 seconds after I finished Brood War, though I thought the campaign would be ordered differently so 2/3 have me somewhat confused.

So hard to explain what I mean without spoiling, so I am going to use the tags:

**edit** Seriously, I mean it, this is a big spoiler, DO NOT READ IF YOU AREN'T COOL WITH THAT.
    I wasn't surprised by Kerrigan's redemption... I think we all had a good idea that was one of only a few possibilities. I was surprised that it happened so soon - she's the most important figure in SC lore and her arc is now pretty much finished. I was surprised that this was not the ending of the third instalment. It leaves me excited for what's going to happen next - it's gotta be a big Xel'naga thing, with Kerrigan back as part of the Terran?

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Heh. I'm trying to stay spoiler free as possible. Maybe I should just unhook the internet for the next two days? Yeah right. Can't wait!!

Interestingly, there isn't that much info given away in the cinematics, except perhaps the very final one. I think the bulk of the story will be told through mission intros and in-game cutscenes. Which I don't think are online, and if they are Ireally can't be bothered to watch.

Really? I predicted that ending like 3 seconds after I finished Brood War, though I thought the campaign would be ordered differently so 2/3 have me somewhat confused.

I wasn't surprised by Kerrigan's redemption... I think we all had a good idea that was one of only a few possibilities. I was surprised that it happened so soon - she's the most important figure in SC lore and her arc is now pretty much finished. I was surprised that this was not the ending of the third instalment. It leaves me excited for what's going to happen next - it's gotta be a big Xel'naga thing, with Kerrigan back as part of the Terran?
    I'm sure that the Overmind will make its third appearance in "Heart of the Swarm", to lead the Zerg again (its presence is confirmed in one of the Battle.Net portraits) The Xel'Naga and "hybrids" are the new threats in the SC universe, and Zeratul has stated that Kerrigan will have a key part to play in the conflict. So it'll be interesting to see what unfolds.

Prisca on
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Big spoilers:
    I think it will come down to the zerg basically cloning her for their campaign. Or creating something similar. That's where the RPG element comes in, as you gain power/control more units. I see the Zerg campaign playing more akin to a WC3 mission while the Terran missions will still be more general "Build an Army" focused. Especially the last few missions, look like all out 200 supply brawls.

Also, I had some genuine trouble deciding if a few cutscenes were pre-rendered or not. Some of the particle effects just seemed too good to be done in game. I absolutely cannot wait to see what kind of machnima people create with this thing. Seriously, I could see some professional quality stuff come out of this engine, the level of detail is certainly high enough. In fact I'd really say that the game itself does not do the engine justice in the slightest. Obviously you have limitations with having upwards of 1500+ units on a map at a time as to how detailed you can get (which I guess should be a testament in and of itself to how powerful it really is) but holy shit this thing has a ton of muscle behind it. I dare say I could see it standing toe to toe with Cry2 at the very least, give it some anti-aliasing and it could compete with CryEngine 3.

Mvrck on
    edited July 2010
    Prisca wrote: »

I'm sure that the Overmind will make its third appearance in "Heart of the Swarm", to lead the Zerg again (its presence is confirmed in one of the Battle.Net portraits) The Xel'Naga and "hybrids" are the new threats in the SC universe, and Zeratul has stated that Kerrigan will have a key part to play in the conflict. So it'll be interesting to see what unfolds.
    Could have interesting ramification on the multiplayer as well. If they're designing a 4th race for the SP, they could probably balance it in time for the final expansion. I'd foresee a super-powerful race with a 100 food limit, that'd be pretty sweet.

Spaffy on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So the big spoiler tree begins and the game isn't even out yet. :D

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ugh. I was totally gonna jump in on the discussion of things in this thread, but now I'm afraid for spoilers. Guess I'll just have to go dark till Tuesday.

Lucascraft on
    edited July 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Ugh. I was totally gonna jump in on the discussion of things in this thread, but now I'm afraid for spoilers. Guess I'll just have to go dark till Tuesday.

I've got a strict "no spoilers until the end of August" rule in effect. Sadly, it only takes one person to not read the OP rules to ruin it for everyone.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why don't you just put it in the title? =P

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
    edited July 2010

Dover, is it not cool to post spoilers in here, even if we use the tags? It's your thread, mang,

Spaffy on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    All my dicks to the first person who's able to successfully rip all the single player missions and make them playable online in a team-melee type mode.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dangit, the cinematics are already leaked? This is why I can't have nice things.

Guess I'll just have to forget about Youtube for the next few days. Midnight release + starting with single player means it'll hopefully not take me too long to beat it.

Terrendos on
  • RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    All my dicks to the first person who's able to successfully rip all the single player missions and make them playable online in a team-melee type mode.

I can't wait to build 2 supply depots and a marine... with a partner!

Rivulent on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can anyone recommend any good fan made campaigns for the first game?

Schrodinger on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rivulent wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

I can't wait to build 2 supply depots and a marine... with a partner!

You take care of the supply depots, he builds the marine.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

**edit** Seriously, I mean it, this is a big spoiler, DO NOT READ IF YOU AREN'T COOL WITH THAT.
    Kerrigan's arc is in no way finished! There are lots of ways to take things, here are two:

1) Guilt. Woman is responsible for several billion depths, I'd be hugely disappointed if that's not addressed unless they go with...
    2) Anger. She liked being Queen of Blades and is pissed at Raynor.

Of course, there's also an option where she still has some measure of control over the swarm (note the Zerg dreads :P) and the Zerg campaign is the Forsaken bits of Warcraft, redeeming the previous pure evil group and winning a Zerg civil war (again), convincing the Protoss she's no longer a threat, continued war against Mengsk, and fighting back against the Xel'Naga.

I'd be shocked if she's not a focus of the Zerg campaign.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can anyone recommend any good fan made campaigns for the first game?

Have you finished Enslavers, Enslavers: Dark Vengeance, Deception, Ressurection IV, Mercenaries, and the Precursor campaign? Those are all official Blizzard map releases that are part of the canonical story of Starcraft. Ressurection IV is my personal favorite, but they're all good and easy to find and download.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, I cannot wait to play the campaign. I basically found out...well, yesterday, that it was really going to be a unique, huge, very replayable single player component. And those cinematics - god damn, Blizzard.

Also, Nexus Wars. I got god damn addicted to that shit in the last days of the beta.

Graviija on
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I love Blizzard but hate Activision with a passion. What is this feeling called?

Astale on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A love-hate relationship?

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No no, it's more like indigestion.

Astale on
    edited July 2010

Dover, is it not cool to post spoilers in here, even if we use the tags? It's your thread, mang,

Discussion about anything is fine, but please use spoiler tags until the end of August.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Astale wrote: »
    I love Blizzard but hate Activision with a passion. What is this feeling called?

Kotick's Syndrome. It's a common psychological disorder, symptoms include:

- Concern that you'll soon be paying for services you never expected to.
    - Minor self loathing for knowing you may buy into them anyway
    - Fear for the welfare of a dev studio you actually like.
    - Belief that they might "turn evil" or otherwise become "tainted".
    - General doubt over whether negative aspects of a title are due to the general complexities of making a game, or are side effects of nefarious marketing schemes.

I'm afraid we won't be able to know how severe these symptoms are likely to get until the test results return on the 27th. Until then, try to remain optimistic, the infection might be benign and unable to cause any real harm. :P

subedii on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, I preordered it today. Wasn't really interested in it until I saw the trailer for it a couple days ago. Can't wait to get into the campaign. Hopefully all the tutorials and stuff will make me competent enough for the multiplayer. I was terrible at the first one.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I will be strong!

I will not spoil myself by watching the cutscenes, although those spoilers are tempting....

NO

NONONONO!

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Was I wrong to pick up the collector's edition? :(.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Was I wrong to pick up the collector's edition? :(.

HAve you already got it? How big is the flash drive they give you for Starcraft 1 / Brood War? Looks pretty cool in the pictures.

subedii on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Here is an unboxing of the CE (German?). Looks nice. The usb drive has a crazy looking case.

edit: This other video has more detail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4duUcVHeVM&feature=related

Krathoon on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Holy hell, that comic was done by Simon Furman?!

I love what he's done with Transformers!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited July 2010
    That guy makes me sad the way he handled that artbook. =(

Mvrck on
  • PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I find it very surprising that some people can either be too rough or clumsy when unboxing a video game (especially if it's a Collector's Edition)

Prisca on
  • flashdimflashdim Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I find it very surprising that some people can either be too rough or clumsy when unboxing a video game (especially if it's a Collector's Edition)

Thanks for this - I was starting to wonder if I'm the only dude in the world who clears the table before opening these things.

flashdim on
    edited July 2010
    flashdim wrote: »

Thanks for this - I was starting to wonder if I'm the only dude in the world who clears the table before opening these things.

I usually open my CE's in the car ride home from the store.

Well.. removing the celophane. I don't actually read while parked at red lights past midnight.

... usually.

Athenor on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    man the usb alone makes me very hopeful that there will be a ce on walmart or bestbuy's shelves

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
    edited July 2010
    man the usb alone makes me very hopeful that there will be a ce on walmart or bestbuy's shelves

When I got my new job about 2 months ago now, all my co-workers were like "Dude, you only have a 256MB flash drive? What the hell?"

This is why. ;-)

Athenor on
    edited July 2010
    It's just like...you just paid 40 extra dollars for that shit, and you're throwing it around like old clothes. The hell?

Mvrck on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This one has a better look at the drive and the back of the art book. Also, techno!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3rjA-IVVB0

Krathoon on
This discussion has been closed.