As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sherlock - Not now! I'm in shock. Look, I've got a blanket.

BobCescaBobCesca Is a girlBirmingham, UKRegistered User regular
edited October 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
This guy:

Stephen-Moffat-001.jpg

and this guy:

MarkGatiss.jpg

have made a new adaptation of Sherlock Holmes staring Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes

benedict-cumberbtach.jpg

and Martin Freeman as Watson

img13e38c30zikfzjjpeg.jpg

Benedict Cumberbatch (Small Island, Starter For Ten) and Martin Freeman (The Office, Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy) star in Sherlock, a thrilling, fast-paced update of Arthur Conan Doyle's classic detective, set in present-day London, for BBC One.

Sherlock is co-created by the hugely talented partnership of Steven Moffat (Doctor Who, Coupling) and Mark Gatiss (The League Of Gentlemen, Crooked House, Doctor Who) and produced by Sue Vertue (Coupling, The Cup).

The three, 90-minute films, written by Steven Moffat, Mark Gatiss and Steve Thompson (Whipping It Up, Mutual Friends) are directed by Paul McGuigan (Lucky Number Slevin, Gangster No. 1, The Acid House) and Euros Lyn (Doctor Who, Torchwood).

In this unique adaptation, the iconic details from Conan Doyle's original books remain. They live at the same address, are only interested in the bizarre and, somewhere out there, Moriarty is waiting for them.

Sherlock also stars Rupert Graves (God On Trial, Midnight Man) as Detective Inspector Lestrade, Scotland Yard's finest, largely because Sherlock allows him to take credit for his deductions, and Una Stubbs (EastEnders, The Catherine Tate Show) as Mrs Hudson, their long-suffering housekeeper.

Steven Moffat says: "Everything that matters about Holmes and Watson is the same. Conan Doyle's stories were never about frock coats and gas light – they're about brilliant detection, dreadful villains and blood curdling crimes and frankly, to hell with the crinoline.

"Mark and I have been talking about this project for years, on long train rides to Cardiff for Doctor Who. Quite honestly, we'd still be talking about it if Sue Vertue, of Hartswood Films, hadn't sat us down for lunch and got us to work."

Mark Gatiss says: "The fact that Steven, myself and millions of others are still addicted to Conan Doyle's brilliant stories is testament to their indestructibility.

"They're as vital, lurid, thrilling and wonderful as they ever were. It's a dream come true to be making a new TV series and, in Benedict and Martin, we have the perfect Holmes and Watson for our time."

Sherlock was commissioned by Jay Hunt, Controller of BBC One, and Ben Stephenson, Controller of BBC Drama Commissioning.

Sherlock is executive produced by Beryl Vertue, Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat. The BBC executive producer is Bethan Jones.

Sherlock is a Hartswood Films production for BBC Wales, co-produced with Masterpiece. Rebecca Eaton is the executive producer for Masterpiece.

Sherlock is simulcast on the BBC HD channel – the BBC's High Definition channel, available through Freesat 108, Freeview 50, Sky 143 and Virgin 108.

So, this starts tonight at 9pm on BBC1. Anyone else watching?

BobCesca on

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The first episode, definitely - I've just started reading the originals from the beginning after finishing The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes a few months back. It'll be interesting seeing how the methods of deduction are translated to an era of CSI teams.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is like.

The perfect thing. At least for me.

Thank you, world!

I seriously can't get over this. I like Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman both a lot. And Sherlock Holmes. And Stephen Moffat. And BBC adaptations of books I already love.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    IsidoreIsidore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Benedict Cumberbatch

Come on...

Isidore on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    I am looking forward to this.

Bogart on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wasn't paticularly impressed by the adverts for this on the beeb, but I have faith in Moffat and Gatiss, so I will be watching.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Moffat fan.

Sherlock fan.

It is a simple calculation, after that.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ah, but who will be playing Moriarty?

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The first twenty minutes were pretty good. It's a retelling of "A Study in Scarlet", but I like how this guy plays Sherlock. I'd watch more, but my signal crapped out.

Also...
    "Harry is short for Harriet."
    "...A sister! There's always something!"

:P

EDIT: Oh, it's on iPlayer live! :D

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    that was kinda cool, and i liked the acting and the music

some of the stuff felt a bit above me though, like i was lagging behind holmes and he was having to tell me shit, which i suppose is the intended effect but it meant there's no satisfying "oh what if it's XYZ". i have to confess i've never read a sherlock holmes book- did he always pull that "oh, your trouser leg is 5 millimeters shorter on the left side, indicating your dick is rotting off from the leprosy caught from the lady over there who is bluh bluh bluh" logic from mid air?

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That was probably the best thing I've seen on TV this year. It might be because it's just finished, but that was amazing.
    Martin Freeman's performance was an amazingly low-key complement to Sherlock. What made it for me was his reply when Holmes snapped at him to use his imagination for his dying words: "I don't have to." I got chills.

The art direction was brilliant, with the thoughts and text messages being presented very cleverly - it reminded me a bit of Night Watch, especially with the brief shot from behind the text when Holmes was looking at the body.

I loved all the nods to the originals - the case being a "three patch problem", and the curious case of Watson being shot in different places depending on which book you read.

I was completely taken in with the bait and switch with Mycroft - I should have known better to have assumed that Steven Moffat would have had such a typical introduction to the series nemesis :D

Edit: Yeah, Nuzak, Holmes does that a lot - in The Hound of the Baskervilles, he comes up with three or four paragraphs' worth of information from a walking stick.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Aw, my net connection died at the end, I didn't realise it was Mycroft. :( That makes the ending doubleplus better.

For some reason, I think the showdown with the serial killer went on a little too long for a Sherlock Holmes adaptation.

All in all, a pretty solid start. Will all episodes be 90 minutes long, or will they be more condensed like most of the stories?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Reasonably enjoyable, but a few things annoyed me regarding Holmes' deductions:
    - I immediately guessed a taxi driver, before disregarding it for being too obvious (lots of taxi driver rapists and murderers).

Also surely after the first couple of suicides people knew they were going to die, yet look like a suicide. Take the 'bullet' then at least the police will treat it like a murder.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    StuartenhaffenStuartenhaffen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Really really liked it. Sunday night is going to be enjoyable for the next fortnight anyway.

Anarchy Rules:
    Good to see you would take one for humanity. Unlike you, I would probably go for the pill. The option of potential survival will always be a nicer option than a bullet through the face, even if it was to ultimately expose a murderer.

Stuartenhaffen on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I imagine it's harder for him to get opium.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Reasonably enjoyable, but a few things annoyed me regarding Holmes' deductions:
    - I immediately guessed a taxi driver, before disregarding it for being too obvious (lots of taxi driver rapists and murderers).

Also surely after the first couple of suicides people knew they were going to die, yet look like a suicide. Take the 'bullet' then at least the police will treat it like a murder.
    That's assuming that the victims had read enough about the previous suicides to know that it was a pattern. I doubt the first few were reported in any depth if they were just seen as suicides.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cumberbatch was superb, as was Freeman. There were times Sherlock seemed to be unusually slow - how did he not work out it was taxi drivers? - but overall the deduction (especially the thought process represented on screen) was superb.

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath, I know you've read the file" - brilliant.

The Princess Bride ending was a little difficult to take seriously, and Mark Gatiss is very difficult to take seriously, but overall this is showing a lot of promise.

Seol on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Seol wrote: »
    Cumberbatch was superb, as was Freeman. There were times Sherlock seemed to be unusually slow - how did he not work out it was taxi drivers? - but overall

The Princess Bride ending was a little difficult to take seriously, and Mark Gatiss is very difficult to take seriously, but overall this is showing a lot of promise.
    I thought it was done very well, as it wasn't really about the choice - it was just a McGuffin to show how Holmes' mind works. I like that it wasn't revealed which one was the correct one, as I did initially think that it would be resolved with some antidote trick or something.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Seol wrote: »
    I thought it was done very well, as it wasn't really about the choice - it was just a McGuffin to show how Holmes' mind works. I like that it wasn't revealed which one was the correct one, as I did initially think that it would be resolved with some antidote trick or something.
    Yeah, it's more that it was undermined (for me anyway) by the reflex reference to TPB than anything wrong with the scene. If it wasn't for that, it'd be fine, and that's hardly the fault of the program.

Seol on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That was awesome. Enjoyed it so much.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It was fantastic. I liked the way the train of thought was illustrated for us when Sherlock wasn't thinking aloud.
    part of me was expecting the case to go on more than one episode. Is this going to be a new adventure every week with underlying bigger plot? Not that I'm opposed to that of course. sometimes you can only take so much suspense.

How many episodes of this are there? I'm hoping it'll cure my Doctor Who cravings for a while.

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    3 episodes, sorry

Nuzak on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, I got a third of the way into this, enough to really want to see more

then my internet died

Fuck sky

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looks interesting. Is there any way to get this in the States without stealing it?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thread title made my mind go here:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOxqNApbR0VFFvPp-FWBuTbDzcmIR4rc4NWjDK3poDgndWtNg&t=1&usg=__rSc8Ag7-8aDe1JE5RrsMarXrM1U=

I liked it a lot. I thought it was going to be a weekly type of thing, but 3 feature length movies is just as good. I haven't read any of the books, but this makes me want to.

Holmes left me in the dust when
    he broke down the Watson's past and the cell phone.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    This was lots and lots of fun.
    Guessed that Gatiss was Mycroft just before the reveal, and was immensely pleased that Gatiss hadn't cast himself as Moriarty, as he would have been completely wrong for the part.

Freeman and Cumberbatch (made up name, surely) were great, and the whole thing bounced along merrily with few, if any, slow passages.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    Cumberbatch (made up name, surely)

It is England.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    facetious wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Cumberbatch (made up name, surely)

It is England.

Bogart's English. That's a weird name. And made up I think.

His mum is Wanda Ventham. I used to fancy her. How odd.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Doesn't the english actors guild require everyone to have a unique name?

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    ObligatoriousObligatorious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Curse basic cable! I want to love everything about this, but I CAN'T WATCH. D:
    SanderJK wrote: »

I dunno, Michael Caine's real name is Maurice Micklewhite. I'd say he toned it down.
    I actually have no idea if what you said is true, I just like saying Maurice Micklewhite :D

Obligatorious on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Yep. David Tennant's real name is David McDonald. He claimed to have gotten his new name from Smash Hits!

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Benedict Cumberbatch's real name is...
    Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch. It's not a stage name.

Seol on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Fairly sure the American one does as well - or maybe it's just the Writers' Guild, as I remember David X Cohen mentioning it in a Futurama commentary.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    Thread title made my mind go here:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOxqNApbR0VFFvPp-FWBuTbDzcmIR4rc4NWjDK3poDgndWtNg&t=1&usg=__rSc8Ag7-8aDe1JE5RrsMarXrM1U=

I liked it a lot. I thought it was going to be a weekly type of thing, but 3 feature length movies is just as good. I haven't read any of the books, but this makes me want to.

Holmes left me in the dust when
    he broke down the Watson's past and the cell phone.

Hi5!

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Fairly sure the American one does as well - or maybe it's just the Writers' Guild, as I remember David X Cohen mentioning it in a Futurama commentary.

You can't have the same name as another member. Which is frankly retarded.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sherlock Holmes was all panicky after the cabby was shot, worried that he wouldn't got the answer to the puzzle. Why didn't he just take the pill to a mass spectrometer or something. Hell, take both of them, to make sure the cabby wasn't cheating by, I don't know, taking the antidote in advance. This way he would get his answer.

Also, if the cabby had held a gun to my head, I would have picked the pill too. I would have done it differently, though. His superpower is to predict my thought process in choosing the bottle, and, on basis of that, either hand me the poison or the not-poison. If you accept that he truly is a genius, and that he has a better than 50% chance of survival, we can limit his chances of survival by making the choice truly random. Toss a coin. Heads and I take the one handed to me. Tails and I take the other one.

If everyone did that, he would be lucky to survive more than two attempts.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Sherlock Holmes was all panicky after the cabby was shot, worried that he wouldn't got the answer to the puzzle. Why didn't he just take the pill to a mass spectrometer or something. Hell, take both of them, to make sure the cabby wasn't cheating by, I don't know, taking the antidote in advance. This way he would get his answer.

Also, if the cabby had held a gun to my head, I would have picked the pill too. I would have done it differently, though. His superpower is to predict my thought process in choosing the bottle, and, on basis of that, either hand me the poison or the not-poison. If you accept that he truly is a genius, and that he has a better than 50% chance of survival, we can limit his chances of survival by making the choice truly random. Toss a coin. Heads and I take the one handed to me. Tails and I take the other one.

If everyone did that, he would be lucky to survive more than two attempts.
    That's assuming the game is actually as presented. Given his success rate, that's unlikely.

Also, according to my brother, the breaking down Watson's past and phone is lifted almost entirely wholesale from the first Conan Doyle Holmes story (except there, it was referring to a pocket-watch, not a cellphone).

Seol on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just got finished watching it. I didnt know if i would like it much, never having been drawn to sherlock, but this was all kinds of awesome. Its witty, smart, and has good writing. Cant wait for more.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I loved
    just about everything. I had a hard time buying that Holmes was actually going to take the pill, as I was so sure it was leading up to a moment where he was going to be all "I may be a sociopath, but I'm not crazy" or something.

Mycroft coming in at the end there, however, was hilarious. I totally didn't see it coming, to the point where when "Mummy" came up I was all "wait, Moriarty and Holmes are brothers in this?"

I loved the nod to Watson's love for the ladies with him constantly trying to pick up Mycroft's PA there. Definitely looking forward to next week.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Enjoyed this very much, felt like it should have been called 'Withnail and CSI'

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    Enjoyed this very much, felt like it should have been called 'Withnail and CSI'

Not only is that a pretty good pun, it's making me want to watch this even more.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.