As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why is my room so hot?

Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi there guys. My bedroom faces east to west and is a fairly modest sized room and yet, it is easily the hottest out of all the rooms in the house. It just naturally is and I want to see what I can do about it.

I have 1 window which is made up of two sheets of glass. It is maybe 1/4th of the western facing wall and the entrance to my room faces east into a hallway which seems to make a halfway decent wind tunnel. Sometimes. The windows are also kind of old and I guess some AC air seeps through the cracks in the wood. Maybe I should get some of that foam tape and try and seal things up perhaps?

Also, what kinds of blinds should I use? Right now I just have a basic thin white mesh as blinds. They are like mosquito nets almost and at times feel to do nothing but reduce glare.

I do have my performance PC and 2 monitors the a corner table out of direct sunlight. Not sure how much these guys contribute but I am sure they don't help the situation. I shut them off though when not in use.

Furthermore, what kinds of light bulbs should I opt for that may help turn the temp down? Obviously not halogens but are there cooler running CFLs available?

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: I probably should have mentioned, it is a slightly older home and my room is on the second floor.

Lucky Cynic on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A fan is probably your best bet. Place it near the AC vent and it should make a huge difference. If you pick up some curtains and curtain rods, you could block out the heat coming from the window as well.

urahonky on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A room with a western exposure is going to be hotter than a room that doesn't have a western exposure. What area of the country are you in? South, East, West, Midwest? Is it a first floor or second floor room?

Cutting down on the sunlight coming into your room will help. A high-end CPU also dumps a lot of heat. And CFLs will be the coolest out of all the different light bulbs that are available. Can you get a ceiling fan going? Or some other type of fan to circulate air out of the room?

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really want to avoid a ceiling fan. It would be a pain to install.

Manlier curtains may be one thing to consider.

And I love in the Midwest and we get all four seasons here. Sometimes seemingly all in the same week.

Could there be any possible heat leaking into my house through the old window and such?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    LuckyYouLuckyYou Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    Putting on thick curtains would be a large benefit. They sell curtains that have a white underside, and those work well in our house. We're selling our house in TX and one of the tips our realtor suggested was to remove all the solar blinds from the house. Their removal would allow a lot more sunlight to enter the rooms and thus brighten them up. I noticed a significant temperature increase without them installed, and even a bigger difference when I close all the blinds and curtains until we're about to show the house.

Ceiling fans are also a lot easier to install than they seem, just make sure the box attachment is mounted to a stud and not just in the middle of a drywall spot.

LuckyYou on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was actually referring to a standing fan, not a ceiling one. :) The air needs to be able to circulate.

urahonky on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is your room above the garage?

Back when I lived at home my room was on the second floor, above the garage. It used to get really hot because obviously the garage isn't cooled and all of the hot air only goes up, which was into my room.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How drafty is it in the winter? If it's fairly drafty, you're going to get heat coming in the same places the cold comes in.

If the window is leaking in hot air, the next couple of things won't be as effective. Get the window properly sealed up and insulating first if you can.

Next, look for "thermal blinds". They're going to be a little heavier than regular blinds, but they also have foam backing and some of them will have a layer of foil in the center to block out radiant heat. They'll also fit fairly tightly over the window and block out most light.

Finally, get some air circulation going, either with a standing fan or a floor fan. Ideally push the hot air out and pull in the cool air.

And keep the computer off when you're not using it. A 4-core CPU can easily output about 80+ watts of heat when it's running. Some of that gets absorbed into the heat sink and cooling materials and case, but a lot of it will go out the back as hot air.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Does your room have a cold air return? Do you keep the door shut all the time?

A house wants to naturally balance the temperature and should have air flow to and from all rooms. I grew up in a room without a cold air return and keeping the door shut all the time would heat the room up even with the AC running.

We added a vent above the door header through the sheet rock and the room was so much more bearable.

meeker on
  • Options
    EterenalEterenal Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The best way to block solar heat gain through a window is through external shading, rather than internal. Many countries which do not have access to air conditioning use a simple shade that is angled down from the top of the window and extends far enough to completely block any direct sunlight, while still providing a view. If you're not up for installing anything as fancy as that, you could look into some cheaper roll up external shades. This would be my number one recommendation for preventing the heat from getting in.

You've got the right ideas when it comes to your internal heat gains. Keep the computer off as much as possible, including the monitors. Use compact fluorescent light bulbs, which come in around 13W, which is a negligible amount of heat.

As for getting the right amount of air in (and out) of your room, you need to make sure your AC vent isn't closed off or has any blockages in the ductwork. Also, the return path must be fairly unobstructed. There should be two grilles in your room, one for supply air and one for return air. If you only see one, then it is likely that the door is undercut to allow air to flow underneath. If you don't see a grille and there is no gap above or under your door, then try opening the door up and see if things improve.

Eterenal on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    PC + TV + monitor + you + relitivly small room = stifling heat.

It does for me anyway. A room fan should solve the problem.

Casual on
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Any chance you can hook up your PC's exhaust to a tube and the let the machine pump the hot air out of the room? (Do make sure to monitor how hot the PC gets in case you don't get the right air flow)

Also what is above your room? Roof, or another room or? If there is just a roof and perhaps some storage space then check how hot it is up there. It could well be some insulation is needed.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.