As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play Revelations: Persona] This is over! Persona 2 in New Thread!

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Okay, I'm updating the portraits so things may look a little odd for a bit, please ignore any weirdness until I say I think I'm finished and you can all tell me how stupid I am because I actually missed some or, like, put Mark in for Yuki or something. Update coming after that.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited July 2010
    Part 4: Seriously, why is that Shrine here?
    We open where we last left off...

SLUS_00339_21072010_073450_0625.jpg

With everyone standing around the lobby of the Hospital waiting for John to head to the Shrine. But, naturally, there are more important things to do than save his friend's mother! Things like making sure he doesn't suck the most out of all his friends.

SLUS_00339_21072010_075933_0218.jpg

MainPortrait.pngHow am I supposed to fight demons with a scalpel? Mark, gimme your axe.
    MarkPortrait.pngWhat? No way, man. Get your own damn axe!
    MainPortrait.pngHey, Yuki--
    YukiPortrait.pngNo.
    MainPortrait.pngWell Nate just has a stupid mop. Haha, Nate sucks. Oh, hey! Ellen! You had a real weapon, right?

SLUS_00339_21072010_075930_0093.jpg

EllenPortrait.pngOh, this? I grabbed it from the fencing club before I left school! I figured with all those demons around I really ought to have something to protect myself. Of course, that was before I learned about Nike. Did you know that in the battle between Zeus and the Titans, Nike fought alongside Zeus as the divine charioteer--
    MainPortrait.pngNo one cares, gimme your sword.
    EllenPortrait.pngOh! Of course, John. Anything for you. ...I mean it. Anything. <3
    MainPortrait.pngThat's a little creepy. Anyway, here. You can have my scalpel, I guess. Don't cut yourself or anything.

SLUS_00339_21072010_075939_0468.jpg

MainPortrait.pngThat's better!
    YukiPortrait.pngGreat, you stole Ellen's weapon...wonderful. Can we hurry up, please?
    MainPortrait.pngActually, Yuki, I have a better idea!
    YukiPortrait.pngWhat? What could possibly be more important than saving Mary's mother?
    MainPortrait.pngWe're gonna compare our Personas and laugh at Mark and Nate because theirs suck!
    YukiPortrait.png...actually, yeah that does sound fun.
    NatePortrait.pngMarkPortrait.pngHey!

John
    SLUS_00339_21072010_072556_0578.jpg
    AKA Seimen Kongou
    STRENGTH: 13
    VITALITY: 9
    TECHNIQUE: 6
    AGILITY: 12
    LUCK: 10
    Reflect Wind
    Weak Against Physical
    Magic Power: 68
    Magic Defense: 49

"Weak against physical" sounds bad, but there's two things to take into consideration: 1) 'physical' is only one type of attack, instead of an all-encompassing term and 2) non-magic attacks are weak and stupid for 99% of the game. Wind is a fairly weak attack spell, but with a Magic Power as high as Starion's, it's more than capable of taking out anything that doesn't resist the element.

Nate
    SLUS_00339_21072010_072612_0625.jpg
    AKA Aizen Myouou
    STRENGTH: 11
    VITALITY: 13
    TECHNIQUE: 10
    AGILITY: 6
    LUCK: 8
    Strong Against Magic
    Weak Against Attack
    Magic Power: 42
    Magic Defense: 72

"Attack" is the term that is used for physical attacks in general. This doesn't really matter again because of point 2 above and also because Voodoo's Vitality is super high. The spell Holy does a small amount of damage to one enemy, and then continues to damage the enemy at the end of each round. The exception to this is enemies with the "Evildark" alignment. They are instantly killed by this spell. The only reason this isn't completely horrible is because we're fighting a lot of zombies, which count as Evildark enemies.

Mark
    SLUS_00339_21072010_072626_0187.jpg
    (Let's not point out that the character they made black has as his initial Persona an African Tribal Warrior...)
    AKA Ogun
    STRENGTH: 14
    VITALITY: 11
    TECHNIQUE: 9
    AGILIRT: 6
    Reflect Gravity
    Weak Against Spirit
    Magic Power: 50
    Magic Defense: 40

Nothing ever uses Gravity, and "Spirit" means "Light and Dark" so he's basically ridiculously easy to one-shot KO. Tackle does decent damage to anything that it can hit, but the fact that it has such a small radius means it can only hit things directly in front of Mark. His horrible Magic Defense means he'll take huge damage from spells, too. For example, in this dungeon, a level 2 Pixie was hitting him for about 15 with a Wind spell.

Yuki
    SLUS_00339_21072010_072640_0218.jpg
    AKA ...Vesta, actually
    STRENGTH: 12
    VITALITY: 12
    TECHNIQUE: 11
    AGILITY: 8
    LUCK: 9
    Absorb Fire
    Weak Against Spirit
    Magic Power: 57
    Magic Defense: 57

Same weak against Spirit as Mark, which still sucks, but Blast is a much better spell and she has higher Magic Defense.

Ellen
    SLUS_00339_21072010_073613_0015.jpg
    AKA Nike! Another left unchanged.
    STRENGTH: 11
    VITALITY: 7
    TECHNIQUE: 6
    AGILITY: 14
    No Effect Against Magic
    Weak Against Attack
    Offensive Magic Power: 59
    Magic Defense: 71

That's right. Ellen is completely immune to all magic except for Darkness Based spells, which will either kill her outright or do massive damage. This is a trait that is shared by almost every single Judgement class Persona, which makes them some of the best in the game. Light is similar to Holy, except it does real person damage to the enemies, instead of ticking off 1-8 a round. It does increased damage to Evildark enemies, to the point of her hitting zombies for about 300 a pop.

The "SP" listed next to each Persona is the amount of SP/MP it costs to summon that Persona. Instead of each spell having its own individual cost like in most games, the costs in this game are tied to the Persona. Each Persona has a unique cost with higher level Personas costing more. You can use any of the Persona's spells for that cost. So if you were to somehow fuse a Pixie Persona with a "Heal everyone in the party to full health" spell, you can now fully heal the entire party for the low, low cost of 2 SP. It is very abuseable if you work at it.

Additionally, you may notice a +2 beside every Persona's level. That is the Persona's Rank. As a Persona's Rank increases, its stats increase and it learns new Spells. So let's do a bit of grinding and take a look at each starter at the max rank of 8, shall we?

John
    SLUS_00339_21072010_101635_0156.jpg
    STR: 19
    VIT: 15
    TEC: 12
    AGL: 18
    LUK: 16
    OMP: 86
    DMP: 67

...Hm. That's...not very impressive, is it? Blind Light, Magic Seal, and Confuse are all status ailment abilities, and as such are nearly completely worthless. Wind All is okay as long as you're not fighting anything that reflects or absorbs Wind, and can end most of the random battles around here in one turn thanks to that insane OMP, and Spin Kick is a small AoE physical attack, which makes it virtually worthless. Yeah. John doesn't get to make fun of people's starter Personas anymore.

MainPortrait.pngAw, man...

Nate
    SLUS_00339_21072010_101642_0609.jpg
    STR: 17
    VIT: 19
    TEC: 16
    AGL: 12
    LUK: 14
    OMP: 60
    DMP: 90

If you were less than impressed with Holy, then the second spell, Candy Voice wasn't likely to win you over, either. It's another Status Effect spell--Charm this time--that works in a very small AoE centered around the caster. Not exactly the most useful spell in the game. An Accuracy increase is nice enough though hardly essential, and Iron Punch is pretty weak so we're still not exactly being wowed by Nate's presence in the party. MagUp, however, is amazing. It increases the Offensive Magic Power of the entire party and, like all buffs, can be cast multiple times for greater effect. This is a great way to lay the damage on bosses, and only two other Personas in the game learn it so this alone will make certain we keep Voodoo around long after tossing the other starters out. HolyWhite is okay, too.

NatePortrait.pngSuck it, John.

SLUS_00339_21072010_101728_0859.jpg
    STR: 20
    VIT: 17
    TEC: 15
    AGL: 12
    OMP: 68
    DMP: 58

This is...okay, I guess. Hit-All spells are pretty good before you start fighting things with varied resistances, but that super low OMP means they won't be doing too much damage, and the super low DMP means we'll be taking lots of it. We'll be changing this Persona ASAP.

SLUS_00339_21072010_101741_0187.jpg
    STR: 18
    VIT: 18
    TEC: 17
    AGL: 14
    LUK: 15
    OMP: 75
    DMP: 75

Three different elemens, one of which is an AoE (Red Fire), an upgrade to her initial spell, and some healing. Good OMP and DMP, too. All-in-all a very respectable (and trustworthy!) Persona.

SLUS_00339_21072010_101752_0421.jpg
    STR: 17
    VIT: 13
    TEC: 12
    AGL: 20
    OMP: 77
    DMP: 89

Magic immunity, attack spells, healing, and buffs. What more do you want? Definitely the best of the five starters.

MainPortrait.pngI don't wanna look at Personas anymore, let's go to the Shrine
    MarkPortrait.pngPsh, you're just saying that because your Persona sucks...
    MainPortrait.pngSHRINE!

City 1 Post-Disaster

Outside, everything looks normal at first; but when you hit the edges of the city...
    SLUS_00339_21072010_073524_0281.jpg

MainPortrait.pngWas that giant, impenetrable, technicolor barrier always there?
    EllenPortrait.pngNo, that's...that's kind of why everyone in town is freaking out. That and the demons.
    MainPortrait.pngRiiiight...

Anyway, let's get going.

SLUS_00339_21072010_083106_0937.jpg

Looks like the easiest way is south and then west past the SEBEC building. Let's head out!

MainPortrait.pngGuys, look. There's something going on by SEBEC.

SLUS_00339_21072010_082528_0718.jpg

NatePortrait.pngWhat's that Guido up to now?
    MainPortrait.pngLet's check it out.

SLUS_00339_17072010_053711_0250.jpg
    EllenPortrait.png That person there...Isn't he the newcomer?
    MarkPortrait.png Huh? Yeah, that's that fool, Chris...What the heck is he doing!?
    ChrisPortrait.png So you won't let me pass, huh? You guys are dead! You know that, right!?
    Man in black: "Do not make us repeat ourselves again. Everything beyond this line is under Sebec's control. If you do not follow our orders, you will be shot."
    MarkPortrait.png What the..? What a fool! He's going to get himself shot!

Mark steps forward to deal with the Men in Black

MarkPortrait.png Yo, what's up? Please excuse this moron. He's under medication...Dude, get outta here you fool! Before you get us all shot!
    ChrisPortrait.png Damn...It's you guys again.

And with that, Chris leaves.

NatePortrait.png So, Mark, you actually help others...Isn't that a surprise!
    MarkPortrait.png Shut the heck up! I'm just trying to save his mom from grieving over his death!

With Chris saved and Mark's softer side revealed, we finally reach the shrine.

SLUS_00339_21072010_103043_0234.jpg

MainPortrait.pngHey, guys...There's something I've been wondering for a while. We're all American, right? Except Yuki, I think Yuki's Asian or something.
    YukiPortrait.pngI'm American, too, John...
    MainPortrait.pngWell, whatever. Anyway, my point is, if we're all Americans living in a small American town, how come there's a giant Shinto Shrine right behind the school?
    YukiPortrait.pngNatePortrait.pngMarkPortrait.pngEllenPortrait.png...

MarkPortrait.pngCultural diversity?
    MainPortrait.pngThat's exactly as good an answer as any other. Let's go!

SLUS_00339_21072010_103116_0781.jpg

Shrine (Philemon's Voice)

EllenPortrait.png Here we are! Oh, there's Mary's mom! Wow! A beautiful butterfly!

The butterfly circles the shrine a few times, and everyone seems enthralled by it.

YukiPortrait.png This butterfly...Isn't there something strange about it?
    MarkPortrait.png Wh...what the...!

Suddenly, everything goes white. When we're finally able to open our eyes...

SLUS_00339_17072010_062827_0296.jpg

MainPortrait.pngAw, crap...am I dead again?

PhilemonPortrait.jpg Welcome back, my friend! Have you mastered the use of your Persona? As you have noticed, the whole world has started to shift to a world that should not be. People with strong minds can stop this insane shift from moving any further. Many doors will be open to you in the future, and you will see the deeds of very evil men. It will be up to you to decide which door is the right door. Do not forget this.

Again we flash out, and just as suddenly as we were gone, we're back at the shrine.

YukiPortrait.png What was that? A dream?
    NatePortrait.png "Life is stranger than fiction," many have said.
    EllenPortrait.png That was another important life experience.
    MainPortrait.pngWhat? Are you guys high? What's with the attempts at being deep?

MarysMotherPortrait.png Ou...Ouch...
    SLUS_00339_17072010_063131_0921.jpg

MarkPortrait.png Hey, hey! Don't forget Mary's mother.
    YukiPortrait.png Are you all right?
    NatePortrait.png You've been grazed by a bullet...Who shot you?
    MainPortrait.pngYeah, I mean, it's not like we ran across a bunch of very large men that threatened to shoot us or anything.
    MarysMotherPortrait.png Guido's men...
    NatePortrait.png Guido? Guido of Sebec Corp.?
    MainPortrait.pngWhy are you making her waste her energy on obvious questions, Nate?
    MarysMotherPortrait.png The changes in the town are all Guido's doing. As an engineer at Sebec, I was involved in developing a very specialized machine. This machine is called the "Deva System".
    NatePortrait.png Machine...Is that what caused all these changes?
    MarysMotherPortrait.png The Deva System deforms the air dimensions causing supernatural changes. Guido doesn't care about the people or this town...We have to tell the police!
    EllenPortrait.png Well, that's going to be a problem. I just checked the Police Station and it's infested with demons!
    MarysMotherPortrait.png Oh my...Somebody has to stop Guido!
    MarkPortrait.png How did you escape from Sebec?
    MarysMotherPortrait.png The abandoned factory has a secret cargo entrance. Use this Security Card to...
    YukiPortrait.png Nancy!! She just fainted! We have to get her to the school and fast!
    MarkPortrait.png John, I'm going to leave that up to you. I'm going to the factory.
    NatePortrait.png John, I'll leave that up to you. I'm going with Mark.
    YukiPortrait.png Hey guys! Wait up! There they go again, always forgetting about us and leaving us behind. Let's just hurry back to the school.
    EllenPortrait.png Those two are exactly the same--stupid! They'll meet us back as soon as they see what's going on at the factory.

SLUS_00339_17072010_063328_0031.jpg

And then there were three. Well, three and one unconcious lady, but I don't think she counts. Let's head to the school!

...Next time, this is getting pretty long as is.

Next time: There is absolutely nothing in that box, don't bother looking

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just wanted to chime in to say that this Let's Play is really good and appreciated. This wacky Americanized Persona was one of the first Playstation games I owned and it blew my mind. I got overwhelmed somewhere in the middle though and I'm pretty sure I never finished it. I thought about picking up a PSP to finally get some resolution, but I'm not sure I could stand the first person dungeon crawling these days. This LP is a great alternative. Thanks Blackjack!

Teucrian on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Welcome back, my friend! Have you mastered the use of your Persona? As you have noticed, the whole world has started to shift to a world that should not be. People with strong minds can stop this insane shit from moving any further. Many doors will be open to you in the future, and you will see the deeds of very evil men. It will be up to you to decide which door is the right door. Do not forget this.

That's how I read it.

Also, "the whole world has started to shift to a world that should not be." This is a bad sentence and it should feel bad.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The level 8 Nike picture is missing.

Excellent though - I forgot how strange it seemed to have Mark and Nate bickering then saying "oh, let's go off the factory together"

Kipling on
    3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That large butterfly mask shadow thing in the shrine is pretty neat.

Also, 'Deva System', eh?
    Does it somehow screw around with Bishamon and his pals so that the barrier protecting [strike]Tokyo[/strike] this small American town gets weaker, therefore allowing all those demons into this world?

WotanAnubis on
    edited July 2010
    Kipling wrote: »
    The level 8 Nike picture is missing.

Ah! Thanks, should be fixed now.
    Excellent though - I forgot how strange it seemed to have Mark and Nate bickering then saying "oh, let's go off the factory together"
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Also, "the whole world has started to shift to a world that should not be." This is a bad sentence and it should feel bad.
    Yeah, this is where the writing really starts to get crazy and bad and hilarious because it's bad.
    That large butterfly mask shadow thing in the shrine is pretty neat.

Also, 'Deva System', eh?
    Does it somehow screw around with Bishamon and his pals so that the barrier protecting [strike]Tokyo[/strike] this small American town gets weaker, therefore allowing all those demons into this world?
    I don't wanna give anything away, but the real answer is much more stupid!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    Things to look forward to:

Because I don't get to use Alana (:() and because Chris's forbidden Arcana list is so staggeringly huge (:() I don't get to use my normal Personas. So you all get to see me play through with wacky Persona setups that I've never tried before!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Awesome update. Can't wait for the next one!

...although, is there any reason you're using JPEGs instead of PNGs for the screenshots?

The Anonymous on
    edited July 2010
    Because that's how my program saved them and I didn't think to check. Next one will be using PNGs because I finally noticed.

If I get ambitious I may reupload the old pictures but I'm not making promises.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    JPGs are common practice for screenshot LPs, because they upload quicker. Saving .PNGs takes up a lot of time and space.
    (Uh, or above)

Re: Chris - it wouldn't be fun if the game wasn't challenging. Besides, you're playing Persona Easy Type. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited July 2010
    Oh, it's not challenging, just new!

(Personas I'm using just in case people want to be surprised? I guess?)
    I never used Hellcat, for example, but now I am.

Ix1 is still a staple, though, because she can all but oneshot Tiny. :lol:

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    Okay! As of Right now all of the Portraits should be in nice, new .PNG format. Not the actual screenshots, but the portraits. I'll be looking through past updates to make sure but everything should look okay.

Big update coming either today or tomorrow, depending on when I get it finished. Summer Class finals are starting soon and I don't know if I'll be able to get any more updates done during those two weeks so I figured I'd give you guys a big one -- a lot of story, a lot of dungeon crawling, and four new Personas. :)

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Re: Chris - it wouldn't be fun if the game wasn't challenging. Besides, you're playing Persona Easy Type. :P

Wait, this is the easy version of Persona? I thought the PSP version was the easy one, since I kinda waltzed through it with the starter stuff.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited July 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »

Wait, this is the easy version of Persona? I thought the PSP version was the easy one, since I kinda waltzed through it with the starter stuff.
    No version is all that difficult, but this is definitely the easier one.

They cut down the number of random battles which means, since your SP recovers as you walk around, you'll almost always be at full or near-full SP unless you're doing a lot of grinding in the late game when Personas start costing a good bit of SP to summon. Because the encounter rate is lower, they also increased the amount of experience each encounter gives you.

I was actually going to go into this in the update, to explain the "grinding Persona ranks" process. :lol:

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    Didn't they also reduce the HP of bosses? I remember hearing that somewhere.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DracoGriffinDracoGriffin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Getting good!

DracoGriffin on
    edited July 2010
    Expect an update in an hour or two. This one's massive, guys. For those of you that are familiar with the game, I'm covering everything from reaching the school a second time through to entering the Factory. I may end up splitting it into two parts just to keep it readable. This is because, like I mentioned earlier, finals are coming up for my summer term, so I won't really be able to offer much in the way of updates. I have a mechanics update planned, because that won't actually take up very much time and it will give me a chance to finally explain all the contact stuff, but no real gameplay updates until the middle of August.

Also, I may as well say it, since fRAWRst had to abandon his Persona 2 LP, I'm planning on doing that after this one, if a) no one else has done it and b) anyone would be interested in it. I would be doing both games of it, of course.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    SLUS_00339_22072010_102312_0859.png

We open outside the school, because Ellen won't let us actually go anywhere else once we leave the shrine, so why not, right? Ellen turns to address one of the students guarding the gate.

SLUS_00339_22072010_102316_0750.png
    Guard: No! You must say the password. I can't let you in if you don't!
    EllenPortrait.png I know it...Roses are red, zombies are blue, but my face is white, so you know I'm true.
    Guard: OK, you can pass!

The guard opens the gate, but everyone needs to take a moment after that
    SLUS_00339_22072010_102312_0859.png
    MainPortrait.png...you know, as far as passwords go, that one is not only awful, it's kind of racist, too.
    YukiPortrait.pngSeriously. Who came up with that?
    EllenPortrait.pngI know, right? Zombies aren't even blue, they're more of a grey-ish green color...
    MarysMotherPortrait.pngHelp...
    MainPortrait.pngYeah, yeah, 'oh, stop Guido!' 'Oh, I've been shot!' 'Oh, take me to the school even though there's a perfectly good clinic the exact same distance from the shrine!' We're discussing important social issues here, you know. Fine, let's go.

Inside, we are greeted by Ms. Smith

SLUS_00339_22072010_102502_0593.png

TeacherPortrait.png Oh, John! Is everyone OK!? I'm so glad you're safe...What happened to her?
    YukiPortrait.png I'll explain later! Quickly! We must take her to the infirmary!
    TeacherPortrait.png OK! John, come with me to the infirmary! Yuki, Ellen, can you go to the hole in the wall? Alana and T.J. are trying to fill that hole up. Please go and help them.
    YukiPortrait.png Just make sure the demons can't get in, right? OK! Let's go Ellen!
    EllenPortrait.png Let's.

We cut to the infirmary, where Nancy has regained consciousness and is explaining the events up to now.

MarysMotherPortrait.png ...And that's what happened.
    TeacherPortrait.png Sebec...What is going on there!? Can you believe them John? Oh, I'm sorry, but...can you please go to the hole in the wall and tell them not to close it? Mark and Nate might be coming back that way.
    MainPortrait.pngAnd we all know Mark can't get in through the front gate!
    NursePortrait.png ...
    MarysMotherPortrait.png ...
    TeacherPortrait.png...
    MainPortrait.pngWhat? It's their racist password!

Okay, so we're back in school! Complete with one of my favorite songs off the soundtrack:

Monochrome

In the American version of Persona, this second trip is just another stop along the way, important mainly for the events at the very end of the visit. In the Japanese version of however, what you do here is insanely important. You see, there is an entire second path through the game called The Snow Queen Quest (compared to the plot we're playing through, called The SEBEC Quest) that can be started in the school. You activate this quest by talking to various people throughout the school, all of whom mention an old, supposedly cursed, play called The Snow Queen that the school used to perform. All of the actresses that played The Snow Queen and wore the cursed Snow Queen Mask died in unusual circumstances. Because of these deaths, the play has been forbidden to be performed and the mask sealed away in storage. Once you find the mask and someone puts it on, though, all hell breaks loose, and the spirit of the Snow Queen traps the school in an icy dimension surrounded by four towers. Dungeon Crawling ensues, characterization happens (at least for Alana and Yuki, who are required party members), and a tedious experience is had by all. Although the Snow Queen Quest is a completely separate path and the game ends once it is completed, the canonical time line for Persona 1 indicates that the Snow Queen Quest happened and then the SEBEC path was completed.

Now, enough of that. Let's get going.

SLUS_00339_22072010_105950_0093.png
    MainPortrait.pngYup. That's a hole in the wall, all right.
    AlanaPortrait.png Ellen went outside alone. I tried to stop her, but she wouldn't listen. You know how she is. She kept saying something about how she has the Scalpel of True Love now or something, so no demons could stop her? How weird! I wonder if there is actually an exit out of town.
    MainPortrait.pngShe is so creepy. Anyway, we're not plugging up the stupid hole because Ms. Smith is the only person in the entire world that cares about Nate and Mark, so you losers can keep hanging out here or whatever, I'm gonna go explore the rest of the school.
    YukiPortrait.pngWhat? You mean we're not just going to run out the hole and go blindly after Guido?
    MainPortrait.pngGood idea, Yuki, but not just yet! Ellen, creepy as she is, gave me an idea!
    YukiPortrait.pngWhat's that?
    MainPortrait.pngI'm gonna loot the sports clubs!

And so we do!
    SLUS_00339_22072010_104656_0937.png
    Three sets of headgear and a pair of boxing gloves from the boxing club!

SLUS_00339_22072010_104735_0218.png
    A bow from the archery club!

SLUS_00339_22072010_104949_0984.png
    Two pairs of Trentshoes (your guess is as good as mine!) from the ballet club!

And in the fencing club...well.

SLUS_00339_22072010_104806_0312.png
    TadPortrait.png Is my bald father alive?

SLUS_00339_22072010_104811_0484.png
    TammyPortrait.png Why don't you go outside yourself, Tad, hmm? You're such a whimp!

SLUS_00339_13072010_035826_0083.jpg
    SLUS_00339_13072010_035835_0958.jpg

TadPortrait.png St...stupid! I'm not afraid of demons! You're scarier than they are! You buff and manly woman!
    TammyPortrait.png What did you call me? You're a whimp! Whimp whimp whimpy boy!
    TadPortrait.png Dog face!! You manly-looking girl! Man man man manly girl! Wow, what a tongue twister!!

MainPortrait.pngOkay, not that I care, but I can see a treasure box beside you guys so is there any way I can get you to shut up?
    TammyPortrait.pngHuh? Hey, John, let me give this to you.. I used this at my previous school I attended. I think that you'll need this more than I will...

SLUS_00339_22072010_104851_0515.png

MainPortrait.pngHaha, you mean I didn't need to send Ellen out into the demon infested wilderness with nothing but a scalpel and a crush? Sweet. Thanks, Tammy.
    TadPortrait.png She really has no redeeming value, John, does she?
    MainPortrait.pngUh, dude, she just gave me an entirely free weapon. You want my support, you gotta beat that.
    TadPortrait.pngHmm...oh! I've got it! My dad owns the local pharmacy, and I happen to know for a fact that Nate can't stand the music they play there. It drives him insane and gets stuck in his head for days!
    MainPortrait.png...you are a gentleman and a scholar, Tad.

The chest turns out to be worthless, unfortunately. It containts three gauntlets which would be nice, if I hadn't collected something like 30 of them from monster drops while grinding Personas to rank 8. There is something of interest here, though!

SLUS_00339_22072010_104923_0187.png
    She even pointed out their differences. She said there are some that will join you and some that won't. There are even some that are afraid.

Hmm...seems like Tammy used that rapier for more than fencing at her old school.

This is actually a reference to Shin Megami Tensei: If..., a spinoff of the first Shin Megami Tensei game for the Super Nintendo. It's also the start of the Persona timeline, and a lot of the ideas in If... were later refined and brought into Persona. Tammy is the main character of that game (well, the canonical one, anyway. When you play you're given a choice between Tammy and an unnamed male protagonist). Tammy also has the honor of being the only person in the series that is both a Demon Summoner and a Persona user.

That, essentially, is the end of the school for us. We can head into the storage room off the side of the gym to find an obviously suspicious box...

SLUS_00339_22072010_103648_0609.png

But the game simply pops up a "there's nothing here" message and boots us back to the gym. (This is, fairly obviously, the Snow Queen Mask.) I guess John just doesn't like the looks of that box or something, given the fact that he's been spending the last half hour wandering through the school and doing nothing but opening boxes that have been left lying on the floor.

SLUS_00339_22072010_105950_0093.png

MainPortrait.pngAll right, I'm outta here. Where the hell's Yuki?
    TJPortrait.pngShe went to check on Mary's mother. She said she'll be back in a little bit, if you wanted to wait for her?
    MainPortrait.pngNo way, I guess she just doesn't get to be a part of Operation: Kick An Old Rich Guy's Ass. Tell her not to open that box in the storage room. I don't like the way it was looking at me. Well, see ya!

Before we leave, however, another familiar face comes to check out the hole in the wall.

SLUS_00339_22072010_110019_0718.png

MaryPortrait.png Oh, John! What're you guys doing!?
    TJPortrait.png Oh... Is that you...Mary?
    AlanaPortrait.png What? Is it you...Mary?
    MaryPortrait.png Yeah, it's me. The one and only Mary the Magnificent! What's wrong Alana?
    AlanaPortrait.png John, this is too strange. Mary was never this happy and giggly. What's going on!?
    MaryPortrait.png Alana, what are you talking about? Oh? That big hole...John, you did it, right?
    MainPortrait.pngWhat? We're not talking about a few missing bricks here! That hole is giant. How would I even do something like that?
    AlanaPortrait.png See? Something is wrong! Weren't you just in the hospital?
    MaryPortrait.png Alana, stop it! You're really starting to upset me! Would you prefer that I was in the hospital?
    TJPortrait.png Um... I think she's the real Mary.
    AlanaPortrait.png How can you tell? She could be a demon or something!
    TJPortrait.png Mmm... Sorry, but she's carrying her favorite compact. She's never without it.
    MaryPortrait.png Alana, stop badgering T.J.! But, T.J., there's something definitely not right around here...

We don't get to find out what that something is, though, as Nate suddenly appears through the hole in the wall, surprised as anyone to see Mary.

SLUS_00339_22072010_111619_0312.png

NatePortrait.png John! What? Why is Mary here?
    MaryPortrait.png Not you too! Stop joking around, Nate. By the way, what's wrong? You're (sic) face looks flushed and upset.
    NatePortrait.png I'm not upset! I'm just out of breath from running back here. That idiot Mark got caught by demons at the Police Station. Mark thought it was a good idea to obtain weapons and ammo for extra protection. That's when he got caught. Normally, I wouldn't think twice about leaving that idiot there to die, but he's got the Security Card. You have to help me go and rescue him!
    MaryPortrait.png Mark? ...Demons? John! We have to rescue him!
    MainPortrait.pngWe do? Uh--I mean, uh--we do!
    NatePortrait.png Here's a gun. Using a Persona, greatly decreases your energy level. That's how Mark got caught. It won't hurt to be prepared. Don't forget to equip the gun.
    MaryPortrait.png Persona? I don't understand it very well.
    MainPortrait.pngDon't worry. You will in about five minutes. Call it a hunch.
    MaryPortrait.png Oh well...Let's go!

So. Mary somehow is not only out of the hospital, but doesn't remember ever being there in the first place. This is definitely strange. Maybe talking to her again before heading through the hole will help.

MaryPortrait.png This must be the work of the Girl in Black. I'll show her! John, hurry!

SLUS_00339_22072010_112000_0171.png

John doesn't even know what the fuck. But, this isn't the first time we've heard of a Girl in Black. Remember that man in the hospital who said he'd been seeing a ghostly Girl in Black around the Sebec building? How does Mary know about that, though...

As soon as we leave the school, things get even weirder with Mary.

SLUS_00339_22072010_112332_0859.png

NatePortrait.png This is no time for a joke.
    MaryPortrait.png Joke? No, really! What is it?
    NatePortrait.png A government organization that keeps the peace and order in society. Therefore, we are going to the "Police" Station. Get it?
    MaryPortrait.png Uhhhh... I'm slowly remembering something, or am I?

Just then, Mary notices the gym and freaks out.

MaryPortrait.png What? The gym!? It looks brand new! When did they rebuild it?
    NatePortrait.png It was redone six months ago, while you were in the hospital.
    MainPortrait.pngAw, crap, here we go again...
    MaryPortrait.png There you go again...I was never hospitalized! Stop kidding around!
    NatePortrait.png Hey, John...Is she suffering from amnesia?
    MainPortrait.pngMan, how do I know? She was in the hospital for mental delusions! For all I know she thinks this is a live action game of Candy Land!
    NatePortrait.png Maybe we shouldn't take her along...
    MaryPortrait.png What are you guys mumbling about? We're wasting time. Mark's in danger!

Before we can head out, though, we see the rarest of things. A canonical example of a random battle!

SLUS_00339_22072010_112444_0359.png

This dude literally just fades in from nowhere.

SLUS_00339_22072010_112448_0937.png

So you know what that means, everyone!

SLUS_00339_22072010_112558_0562.png
    SLUS_00339_22072010_112604_0046.png

MaryPortrait.png So that was Persona? The power from my mind...Another self within me...
    NatePortrait.png Persona is a Latin word which means "mask". From this word, English words such as "personality" were derived.
    MainPortrait.pngThanks, Professor. Seriously, dude, that was random and pointless. I don't think she was expressing shock at the word Persona.
    MaryPortrait.pngYeah, not so much. It was more the fact that there are demons and angels co-existing within our souls?
    NatePortrait.png If you want to be poetic, an eye for an eye and a demon for a demon. I don't understand how it works, but it could prove to be very useful!
    MainPortrait.pngYou're high right now aren't you?
    MaryPortrait.png We can do it! We can find out why demons have invaded and defeat them. We can take our city back!
    NatePortrait.png Yes. but to do that, we have to go rescue that idiot Mark.

But first! Let's talk to Mary again.

MaryPortrait.png We will not let that girl do what she wants with us! Right, John!?

SLUS_00339_22072010_113016_0078.png

John still doesn't know what the fuck.

Let's get out of here. Mary is strange and confusing.

SLUS_00339_22072010_113031_0984.png

MaryPortrait.pngOkay! We have to hurry and save Mark right away, John!
    MainPortrait.pngAbsolutely. Let's head to the Police Station.
    NatePortrait.pngWait for it...
    MainPortrait.pngBut first!

SLUS_00339_22072010_112822_0906.png
    SLUS_00339_22072010_112835_0906.png
    SLUS_00339_22072010_112853_0609.png

MainPortrait.pngLook at that shit. That is some terrible equipment we have. I mean, really, Nate? A mop. How is that going to help us? Are you going to pretend to be a janitor? A little demon janitor? No, but seriously. To the casino!
    NatePortrait.pngWait, what?

SLUS_00339_23072010_063708_0218.png

Casino2.png Can I help you? We exchange money for tokens here.
    MainPortrait.png...oh my god. What ARE you?

We swallow our terror and buy a few coins off him. It's a direct 1-to-1 ratio of dollars to coins, and I've accumulated quite a few dollars from grinding Persona ranks, so I'm able to buy quite a few coins, too.

But, which game to play. There's slot machines, of course, and blackjack, and something called Code Breaker which I'll explain more of in another update. The real moneymaker, though, is Poker.

The payouts themselves aren't so great, but when you win, you get a chance to double your money.

SLUS_00339_23072010_064019_0281.png

Big & Small is the one we're going for. It's pretty self-explanatory, they give you a card, you guess if the next one is going to be bigger or smaller. With a little patience, you can get very lucky this way.

SLUS_00339_23072010_064345_0203.png

Very, very lucky. And yes, I know I was stupid for playing a 9, but I always push my luck farther than I should in these games. I just went ahead and took my 20000 coins there, though.

About a half hour or so in the casino and a little exchanging coins for items later, our gear looks better.

SLUS_00339_25072010_171055_0250.png
    SLUS_00339_25072010_171057_0625.png
    SLUS_00339_25072010_171059_0093.png

Much better.

And with a little extra grinding, Mary's Persona is on par with John and Nate's, too.

SLUS_00339_23072010_070954_0437.png
    AKA Mazu/Matsu/Maso
    STR: 15
    VIT: 17
    TEC: 19
    AGL: 16
    LUK: 18
    OMP: 88
    DMP: 89
    Absorb Chill
    Weak Against Fire

Maria's pretty good as far as starter Personas go. Chill is the lowest level ice spell, but Freezer is a nice upgrade that does AoE damage. Multi Bow is an excellent physical attack, that hits random enemies in the area anywhere from 3 to 5 times. Cure is always good to have, and Poison Cure is surprisingly useful as we'll start to find treasure boxes that spring Poison Traps and I always forget to buy Poison Cures. Trap Cure is of limited use though, as it protects us from damage floors. There aren't too many damage floors in the game, and those that do exist don't hurt enough to matter.

With all of that out of the way, we're ready to head into the Police Station!

SLUS_00339_23072010_072431_0703.png

Up next: If you thought the password was racist, you ain't seen nothin' yet!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    The inside of the police station is no better off than the hospital. Cabinets are destroyed, payphones have been ripped off their mounts, boxes overturned and paper strewn about the place. Mary, though, seems to be getting a little less crazy, at least.

SLUS_00339_23072010_072450_0250.png
    MaryPortrait.png This is the Police Station? Oh, yeah! That's right, I remember now.
    NatePortrait.png Let me see... Mark must be in jail, John... However, we can't open the cell without the key...What should we do?
    MaryPortrait.png Maybe it's somewhere around here... Let's try finding it.
    NatePortrait.png Yeah, that's right... John, help us look for it.

SLUS_00339_23072010_072549_0890.png

MainPortrait.pngGEE, I WONDER WHERE IT COULD BE.

SLUS_00339_23072010_072601_0296.png

NatePortrait.png Now we can get it. Let's go.

And go we do.

MAJIN...FOREVER

SLUS_00339_23072010_073145_0281.png
    SLUS_00339_23072010_074638_0828.png

The Police Station is a bit more complex than the hospital, although not by much. The enemies are all new, but because we're expected to still be using the starter Personas, they're still nothing noteworthy. This dungeon trip proceeds exactly the same as the previous one, with me talking every enemy out of its spell card and not actually fighting very many of them.

On the second floor we find a stairway leading down to a second area of the first floor. Here, all we find is a door leading into a small room. These must be the cells, surely?

SLUS_00339_23072010_074735_0859.png

And, indeed, upon heading in, we find Mark!

SLUS_00339_23072010_075451_0062.png

Wait, who's that in the second cell? It's hard to tell, but it kind of looks like...Brad?

MarkPortrait.png Yo! Who's there!? Damn, I'll kill you all! Get me out of here!!
    BradPortrait.png Hey, Mark! Just kick back! There's no use pissing them off even more! We should just kiss up to them, and maybe they'll let us out... Oh...What!?
    MaryPortrait.png There you are! Are you OK, Mark? ...Oh!? Brad is here too!
    NatePortrait.png Hahaha! You fools look like some caged up monkeys! How did we end up at the zoo?
    MainPortrait.pngDuuuuuuuude. Did you seriously just say that.

Okay, okay. I get that the translators were just translating the lines and not thinking anything about it, but if you're going to make a character black, and then have him be arrested, maybe you should change that line into something other than 'you look like a caged monkey' because I mean seriously.

MarkPortrait.png Shut up, Nate!! What took you guys so long!? ..........Mary?
    BradPortrait.png Psh, it's you guys...I know, I know...You all missed me, huh?
    MaryPortrait.png Oh, Brad...You're still here?
    BradPortrait.png Ouch...
    NatePortrait.png What is this fool talking about? I didn't even know you were here, Brad.
    MainPortrait.pngSo that 'monkey' comment was directed solely at Mark, then? Admit it, you're the one that wrote the password for the school, aren't you?
    NatePortrait.pngThat's not important. By the way...Why are you here?
    MaryPortrait.png Let's just get them out first.

Mary unlocks their cells, and Brad tries to explain the whole 'captured by demons'

BradPortrait.png Even I can't kill those damn demons without any weapons...So we came here to look for something useful, but we ended up like this instead.
    MarkPortrait.png Damn it, Brad! Just don't say anything! ...Mary!? What are you doing here? Are you sure you're able to be out here?
    MaryPortrait.png What? Why is everyone so concerned about me? I'm perfectly fine!
    MarkPortrait.png Okay... I was just making sure. Anyway...

Mark is interrupted by the sound of the door opening.

SLUS_00339_23072010_075632_0734.png
    Officer: Like you're supposed to...

MarkPortrait.png Shut the heck up! This better not be any of your stupid jokes! I didn't even do anything yet!
    NatePortrait.png Wait! Something's wrong!

SLUS_00339_23072010_075646_0265.png
    Captain: Execute them!

MarkPortrait.png What the..?

Officer: Execute! Execute! Execute, execute, execution! Die! Hahahaha!!

Try not to be surprised here, guys, but they're actually demons, and they attack.

SLUS_00339_23072010_075705_0031.png

BradPortrait.png Oh, crap!
    MarkPortrait.png You're the one who's gonna die!

John, Mary, Mark, and Nate make short work of the four zombie cops surrounding the demon captain.

SLUS_00339_23072010_075802_0500.png

I am only including that so you can see the hilarious :shock: face the captain makes when they kill the cops.

But, this guy's pretty good at strategy and has a plan of his own:

SLUS_00339_23072010_075809_0562.png
    SLUS_00339_23072010_075811_0984.png

BradPortrait.png I don't want to die!

We know what happens next!

SLUS_00339_23072010_075817_0406.png
    SLUS_00339_23072010_075821_0562.png

Brad, understandably, is kind of shocked.

SLUS_00339_23072010_075912_0484-1.png

Nate, not so understandably, is also shocked.

NatePortrait.png What..? You too, Brad? I would at least think that monkeys wouldn't be able to handle such powers...I guess I was wrong.
    MainPortrait.pngDude, it should be pretty obvious by now that everyone that played Persona had those dreams and got these powers. And seriously, stop it with the monkey thing already.
    MarkPortrait.png OK, I'll explain everything...So just sit down and listen up...

Thankfully, the game doesn't make us listen to exposition we've already been exposed to, so the screen fades out and then back in after Mark finishes explaining everything.

Brad is no longer confused and is now, excited as all hell.

SLUS_00339_23072010_075930_0234.png
    BradPortrait.png See? I knew I was different! I've had this feeling since I was a kid! Ah, yeah! It's all about ME!
    MarkPortrait.png What the heck is this guy getting all excited over? Psh, whatever...Anyway...Hey John, is it cool if I go with you guys? I feel a bit uneasy leaving this up to you guys...

Despite the wording, we have no choice but to take him with us...

NatePortrait.png I feel the same way about you... Mark, give the Security Card to John.
    MarkPortrait.png Alright... Here you go... Don't lose it!
    NatePortrait.png Here, Mark, your gun. Don't shoot me with it!
    BradPortrait.png Hey! I know you all are just wishing for me to come along! I don't think any of you has what it takes to become a hero! You guys lack spirit! Stop lying to yourself! You know you want my company! So what's up, John?
    MarkPortrait.png Psh, whatever...Hey John, do you want to take him along?
    MainPortrait.pngMmmmmmmno.
    BradPortrait.png Oh, serious? You won't regret it? OK, fine...I'll just go back to school then... (Sigh) You're going to regret this!

Brad disappears into the demon infested city. Alone. Canonically speaking, everyone went together and John didn't tell any of his friends to fuck off into hordes of demons just because he wants the dude with the scar in his party.

MaryPortrait.png Okay! Now that we're all here... ...Where do we go?
    MainPortrait.pngWell...I hear that new shop just opened up! Let's go see.

SLUS_00339_23072010_080532_0125.png

Velvet Room

SLUS_00339_23072010_080540_0531.png

IgorPortrait.png You can call upon your inner self in this room... Please, show me your Persona. What is your desire?
    MainPortrait.pngUh...I guess I'll make some new Personas?

SLUS_00339_23072010_080551_0281.png

MainPortrait.pngSelf-Service, obviously! I'm not some little kid that needs the creepy dude with the nose to hold my hand the whole time!
    IgorPortrait.pngSelf-Service it is, then...

SLUS_00339_23072010_080554_0750.png

MainPortrait.png...So, uh...you said something about Full-Service?

It's actually not quite as complicated as it looks, don't worry. The Persona 1 Wiki has an excellent write up on Fusion Theory, here's the important bits.
    White Normal: Nothing special
    Orange Unstable: Higher chance for fusion accident
    Blue Beneficial: Result Persona have +5 to its highest stat, and +20 to Magic Def

o Normal Fusion: No skill inheritance
    → 1st Dominant: Skill will be inherited from the 1st demon entering the recipe, according to the priority
    ↑ Beneficial 2nd Dominant: Skill will be inherited from the 2nd demon entering the recipe, according to the priority; all stats +1
    ↓ Unfavorable 2nd Dominant: Skill will be inherited from the 2nd demon entering the recipe, according to the priority; all stats -1
    X Cannot Fuse

So, let's fuse some Personas! We don't want anyone to feel left out, so we make four.

One for John...
    SLUS_00339_23072010_192806_0125.png

One for Mary...
    SLUS_00339_23072010_192759_0406.png

One for Mark...
    SLUS_00339_23072010_192827_0687.png

And one for Nate!
    SLUS_00339_23072010_192811_0562.png

Of course, they aren't too helpful, what with only being on Rank 1, but we can deal with that easily enough.

Didn't Alana say Ellen left to find a way out of town? I wonder if we can find her.

We find her in the subway, by using the highly scientific method of "well, she wasn't anywhere else!"

SLUS_00339_23072010_081817_0937.png
    EllenPortrait.png ...Mary? When did you leave the hospital?
    MainPortrait.pngAw, crap, she said the H word!
    EllenPortrait.png Oh, excuse me...I suppose this isn't the time to discuss that now. I'm just glad that everyone is safe and sound.
    MarkPortrait.png Damn, this place is all messed up...
    EllenPortrait.png I'm afraid so... I went around all over, but I couldn't find a way out...By the way, where is everyone? Are they searching for clues to what caused all this?
    MarkPortrait.png I guess you could say that... Actually...

We fade out and in as another explanation occurs...

EllenPortrait.png Oh really...Is that what happened!? May I go with you, John? I would like to do my own research, too... There are still so many things I don't know...your favorite color, the type of music you like, what shampoo you use... Please, take me with you!
    MainPortrait.pngOh my god are you serious? No. Absolutely no. Veto. Denied.
    EllenPortrait.png I understand...You want me to stay somewhere safe, don't you?
    MainPortrait.png...Yeah. Okay. That works. Let's go with that.
    EllenPortrait.png But since I'm alrady out here, I think I'll take another look around town...Take care. <3
    MainPortrait.pngShe is so creepy... Oh, I know! Yuki! Yuki can come with us! To the school!

When we get there, though, we find that the school wasn't quite as safe as everyone thought it was.

SLUS_00339_24072010_112011_0015.png
    NatePortrait.png This, too, is caused by the Deva System.... That Guido, I'll get him!

Attempting to enter the space the school once was, allows us a vision of the school, surrounded by four towers.

SLUS_00339_24072010_112030_0390.png

MainPortrait.pngYou just had to open the box, didn't you...
    MaryPortrait.pngNow what do we do..?
    MainPortrait.pngOkay, guys, I know this is sad and confusing, but we need to focus. We need to take out Guido, and to do that, we'll need supplies. To the Pharmacy!
    NatePortrait.pngTh-the Pharmacy?
    MainPortrait.pngYeah. Unless, of course, you can think of a reason we shouldn't go...
    NatePortrait.pngNo! No reason. Right. The Pharmacy. Let's go...

Satomi Tadashi

SLUS_00339_25072010_162037_0968.png
    SLUS_00339_25072010_162040_0937.png

MainPortrait.pngHahaha, you're the best, Tad! Okay, let's go.
    NatePortrait.pngDid you even buy anything!?
    MainPortrait.pngNope! To the Factory!

On the way to the factory, we make sure to get everyone's new Persona up to Rank 8. Let's take a look.

John
    SLUS_00339_24072010_113734_0343.png
    AKA Urvashi and no, I have no idea what an Ixl is
    STR: 14
    VIT: 10
    TEC: 16
    AGL: 27
    LUK: 10
    OMP: 167
    DMP: 123
    Reflect Chill
    Weak Against Physical

Ixl is a magical Powerhouse. Her stats aren't anything to write home about, but Ice All is an amazing spell that does good damage and has a chance to freeze enemies, causing them to lose a turn. And with her ridiculous magic power, it will do about 300 damage to enemies not weak to ice.

Mary
    SLUS_00339_24072010_113727_0125.png
    AKA Phaleg
    STR: 16
    VIT: 11
    TEC: 7
    AGL: 22
    LUK: 17
    OMP: 156
    DMP: 156
    No Effect Against Magic
    Weak Against Attack

Halo is phenomenal. His stats aren't special, but Heal All heals the entire team for approximately 250-300 health. Red Fire is a decent spell thanks to his high OMP, and Wind All was a nice fusion bonus. Strength Drop is a huge help against quite a few bosses, too. Halo will be with us for the entire game.

Mark
    SLUS_00339_24072010_113745_0640.png
    AKA Gozu-Tennou
    STR: 46
    VIT: 18
    TEC: 20
    AGL: 11
    OMP: 151
    DMP: 54
    Reflect Blast
    Weak Against Spirit

Nuke More is all he has going for him. Strength is a dump stat, Squash is useless, Poison Pin is decent at best, Nuke is outclassed by Nuke More, and Light Kick is horrible. I've already talked about Weak to Spirit and his DMP is horrid. Is Nuke More really worth it?

SLUS_00339_24072010_113135_0890.png

Oh, it has its uses...

Nate
    SLUS_00339_24072010_113740_0343.png
    AKA Fuutai
    STR: 15
    VIT: 22
    TEC: 52
    AGL: 43
    LUK: 9
    OMP: 72
    DMP: 65
    No Effect Against Tackle
    Weak Against Whip

Immune to Tackle and Weak to Whip are both pointless, and his OMP isn't high enough to make use of his decent spell selection. DMP is obviously terribly low, too. But look at those stats. Nate is a tank with this guy active, and is taking the front row center position to take all the physical hits thrown by the enemy.

Now, like John said...to the factory!

SLUS_00339_24072010_113448_0343.png

...next time.
    Next time: We send another one of our friends out into the wilderness unprepared.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    That is some nice music in Part 5.

Also, little late on the Devil Summoner couple. :P Can't you meet them early on?

Nice touch on Atlus USA dubbing the graffiti walls. It's in Japanese in Persona PSP. Except for 'don't be a crazy dog'. :lol:

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited July 2010
    Also, I may help out for Persona 2; in a sense. I can do the path in EP you don't. Or something like that. I just want to jump in on that somehow. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You persona freak

Do one of Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited July 2010
    Don't have a capture card. And people know how awesome DDS 1 & 2 is. And I just finished replaying them not long ago.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I never played them.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited July 2010
    You should.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Okay, so this:

Is supposed to be this:
    urvashi-pururavas_by_rrv.jpg

But all I can think is this:
    bu03.jpg

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You should.

If you like boring games with Dickgirls, maybe.

Well, I suppose you are reading a Persona 1 LP though, so it might just be your bag.
    A very well done LP so far though. I'm enjoying it despite my distaste for this particular game.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is there any way to include the Snow Queen Quest here since the PSP remake does have it (if I'm not mistaken)?

Maybe as a (series of) bonus update(s) after you've finished or something. I just wanna see it, really.

WotanAnubis on
    edited July 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Okay, so this:

Is supposed to be this:
    urvashi-pururavas_by_rrv.jpg

But all I can think is this:
    bu03.jpg
    Maybe that's what an Ixl is! Who knows.
    Also, little late on the Devil Summoner couple. :P Can't you meet them early on?
    You can. In fact, I did. The expository 'who are these people' text is from my first exploration of the school--you can see Mark in the corner there. I didn't include them then because, well, it's a really boring scene that is basically them fighting, and then talking about how much they fight.
    Also, I may help out for Persona 2; in a sense. I can do the path in EP you don't. Or something like that. I just want to jump in on that somehow. :P
    Hm. I was planning on doing both, actually. So that I can show off the bonus boss in the bonus dungeon, which requires you to go through both paths. We'll work something out, though! I can always do the other one just to get to the bonus dungeon or something. That's still a long way away.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    Good news and bad news:

Good news: I actually have a bit more time than I thought before my finals start, so I may be able to get out a real update between now and then.

Bad news: I was playing around with the idea of doing video for the boss fights, Fraps only records in 30 second increments and with a watermark because I refuse to pay money for this LP sorry, and VirtualDub desyncs the audio something fierce. I'll play around with it a bit more to see if I can get it to work, but right now assume no video. :(

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Good news and bad news:

Good news: I actually have a bit more time than I thought before my finals start, so I may be able to get out a real update between now and then.

Bad news: I was playing around with the idea of doing video for the boss fights, Fraps only records in 30 second increments and with a watermark because I refuse to pay money for this LP sorry, and VirtualDub desyncs the audio something fierce. I'll play around with it a bit more to see if I can get it to work, but right now assume no video. :(

Camstudio is good for this. You can also try the native AVI output, according to how you are playing this

elliotw2 on
  • KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Great update. When I first played the game, I thought Ixl was LXL in lowercase. I don't know why that made more sense to me.

Doesn't the casino have cheap stones to merge into persona at this point? Or are you going to avoid doing that because of cost and confusion?

Kipling on
    3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
    edited July 2010
    Great update. When I first played the game, I thought Ixl was LXL in lowercase. I don't know why that made more sense to me.

Doesn't the casino have cheap stones to merge into persona at this point? Or are you going to avoid doing that because of cost and confusion?
    They don't have any yet. I got, like, a Wind Stone and a Chill Stone from CodeBreaker and a couple Chill Stones off Jack Frosts, but those are for crappy weak spells so I'm not putting them on anything yet.

I'll talk about adding items when I have items worth adding.

edit: Oh, and they have totems to fuse some special Personas, but see above re: going into it when I do it. :)

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Good news and bad news:

Camstudio is good for this. You can also try the native AVI output, according to how you are playing this
    Camstudio works, thanks! Made a little test video of Philemon's intro (up to the name input), let me know what you guys think (volume, etc)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQNlPZ_-sgQ

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    I found that reading the Something Awful LP was enough.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited July 2010
    Huh, I've never seen that version of the Twilight Zone intro, strange.
    It works and sounds perfectly fine, glad it worked for you

elliotw2 on
    edited July 2010
    I found that reading the Something Awful LP was enough.
    This is a constructive comment, thank you.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited July 2010
    I was referencing me not playing DDS

Zen Vulgarity on