As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gulf Coast Oil Spill]It Ain't Over Yet

1464748495052»

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    So what's the barrels spilled at now?

Rhode Island is the new unit of measurement.

MKR on
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    So what's the barrels spilled at now?

Rhode Island is the new unit of measurement.

So long as the cost to BP is measured in $Texas, I approve.

Lynx on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    right now this has cost BP... well they're still well profitable, so. Not much.

override367 on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Company is firm on the view that the claims of its negligence in the oil spill are baseless.

@lulz.

I'm going to Godwin now. You been warned.
    I don't see any reason to be tasteful about Auschwitz. It's baloney, it's a legend. Once we admit the fact that it was a brutal slave labour camp and large numbers of people did die, as large numbers of innocent people died elsewhere in the war, why believe the rest of the baloney?" Irving said.
    He added, "I say quite tastelessly, in fact, that more women died on the back seat of Edward Kennedy's car at Chappaquiddick than ever died in a gas chamber in Auschwitz."

He went on, "Oh, you think that's tasteless, how about this? There are so many Auschwitz survivors going around, in fact the number increases as the years go past, which is biologically very odd to say the least. Because I'm going to form an Association of Auschwitz survivors, survivors of the Holocaust and other liars, or the ASSHOLS."

- David Irving, firm in his view regarding the 'baseless' claims that a holocaust occurred

Can't wait until a few month down the road, when BP inevitably begins denying that there was really any kind of explosion at all.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/27/louisiana-oil-geyser-20fo_n_660874.html
    NEW ORLEANS - (AP) Oil is spewing from a damaged well north of a bay where officials have been fighting the spill from the BP disaster in the Gulf of Mexico.

The Coast Guard says a tow boat called Pere Ana C. hit the wellhead near Mud Lake early Tuesday. No injuries were reported.

The Coast Guard did not know who owns the small well or how much oil has leaked. But a sheen has been spotted in the lake. Jefferson Parish Councilman Chris Roberts says oil is spewing from the wellhead.

It's like the disaster that keeps on.... disastering.

Suriko on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Suriko wrote: »
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/27/louisiana-oil-geyser-20fo_n_660874.html
    NEW ORLEANS - (AP) Oil is spewing from a damaged well north of a bay where officials have been fighting the spill from the BP disaster in the Gulf of Mexico.

The Coast Guard says a tow boat called Pere Ana C. hit the wellhead near Mud Lake early Tuesday. No injuries were reported.

The Coast Guard did not know who owns the small well or how much oil has leaked. But a sheen has been spotted in the lake. Jefferson Parish Councilman Chris Roberts says oil is spewing from the wellhead.

This is the spill that never ends
    Cause it goes on and on my friend

Some people started ignoring the safety protocols
    And they'll continue doing so forever just because

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How do they not have a file somewhere of who owns what wells?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How do they not have a file somewhere of who owns what wells?

They have the file, but it's on paper, and buried away in a storage room at some government facility.

MKR on
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Ender wrote: »
    Can't wait until a few month down the road, when BP inevitably begins denying that there was really any kind of explosion at all.

Well I don't see any oil. 8-)

Nartwak on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    nuka wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »

This is the spill that never ends
    Cause it goes on and on my friend

Some people started ignoring the safety protocols
    And they'll continue doing so forever just because
    This was very well done.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, here's a little news from my back yard.

Dispersant found in Cotton Bayou.
    When the opportunity arose she took some samples. "It was floating in the water. A boat goes by making a bigger wake than its suppose to and it came over the seawall and I had puddles of water along here."

She got samples and sent them to chemist Bob Naman in Mobile whose tests results show 13 point 3 parts per million of the chemical dispersant corexit.

And I'll include this blog posting. It adds more information and some interesting allegations from the chemist doing the work.
    More imporantly, Naman told me that he found 2-butoxyethanol in the sample.

BP and Nalco - the manufacturer of Corexit - have said that dispersant containing 2-butoxyethanol is no longer being sprayed in the Gulf. As the New York Times noted in June:

Corexit 9527, used in lesser quantities during the earlier days of the spill response, is designated a chronic and acute health hazard by EPA. The 9527 formula contains 2-butoxyethanol, pinpointed as the cause of lingering health problems experienced by cleanup workers after the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill, and propylene glycol, a commonly used solvent.

Corexit 9500, described by [Nalco's spokesman] as the "sole product" Nalco has manufactured for the Gulf since late April, contains propylene glycol and light petroleum distillates, a type of chemical refined from crude oil.

So yeah. Still ain't over.

Drake on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There's also this little known spill in Michigan that seems to have been glossed over by media in the wake of the Gulf spill.

http://www.michigan.gov/oilspill

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, that's terrible. But thank god it's not nearly as herp derp as BP with the shenanigans down in the gulf.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Well, that's terrible. But thank god it's not nearly as herp derp as BP with the shenanigans down in the gulf.

I think that is only because of scale. IIRC, the company was slow to respond, and the state was unprepared for the event.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you really want to get all twisted up inside, check out the documentary Gasland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZe1AeH0Qz8

I can only describe the petrochem industry with one word now. Insane.

Drake on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That's one of those situations where it's like... how... how can you fuck that up?

"Hey boss.. uh... there's oil leaking into the river"

"Can't you see I'm getting busy with my whor... secretary? Fuck off."

... "Hi this is XYZ, I work for Bossguy, I need you to shut off the flow to them thar oil."
    "Yeah I'd love to but we need the two keys and release valve locking codes, two of them."

"Derp herp"

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me