As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nibcrom's Thread

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks Paradise.

Maybe I'll do another AC robots drawing someday. :)

NibCrom on
    edited May 2010
    20100503.jpg

NibCrom on
  • ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nice one. Are those real people?
    "Oh yeah, I totally want that poster!"

Paradise on
    edited May 2010
    Thanks, Paradise. I used photo reference.
    Pete declined the offer, but later regretted his decision.

NibCrom on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wet willy comic is hiiiiiilarious.

earthwormadam on
    edited May 2010
    Thanks, Adam!

NibCrom on
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Paradise wrote: »
    ACRobots_names.jpg

Oh, what's this?! I should've looked in this thread a lot sooner!

Sorry I've never read your thread before Nib, but I love "mob" pictures. Sweet! I may have to change my avatar.

Also: very nice Megalon. My very favorite second-teir Godzilla nemesis in spite of the fact that he gets no respect. But hell: he's armored, he can fly, and he can shoot some kinda weird beam outta that star thing stickin' out of his forehead. I figure the only thing better than that would be a "mecha" version. One can only hope the engineers of Seatopia are hard at work on that one.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
    edited May 2010
    haha, no worries. Glad you like the final product.

I think Megalon gets no love because he was only in one movie. But for some reason I find him to be very memorable, despite his off-beat design.

NibCrom on
    edited June 2010
    20100607.jpg

NibCrom on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ha, that's pretty funny Nib.

Also, I always thought that thing was an upside down tv aerial.
    Then again I also thought Darth Vader was Dark Fader and a Light saber was a Lifesaver until I was about 10.......17.......29. :(

Mustang on
    edited June 2010
    Thanks, Mustang. I guess that could be a whole 'nother comic.

Luke lands on the weather vane, interrupting Lobot watching CSI: Coruscant.

NibCrom on
    edited June 2010
    20100614.jpg

NibCrom on
    edited June 2010
    this is so silly I love it

Paradise on
    edited June 2010
    Thanks, Paradise!

NibCrom on
    edited July 2010
    20100726.jpg

NibCrom on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hahaha! Fistbump Ironman!
    NibCrom wrote: »
    20100614.jpg

Also, I have the impression that your robot has breasts in this comic. Still, I laughed hard at it!

MagicToaster on
    edited July 2010
    Thanks, MagicToaster. I see what you're saying about his chest. I'll have to rethink how I draw that.

NibCrom on
    edited August 2010
    20100816.jpg

NibCrom on
    edited August 2010
    Nib you need to spend some time working on expressions, all your characters have a dead mannequin look about them.

Mustang on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    the lack of eyelids will do that.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited August 2010
    This is a pretty good tree diagram for facial expressions.

When practicing, try to push your expressions a lot more than you think is reasonable, if only to explore the boundaries of what can look good.

Paradise on
    edited August 2010
    Cool link P, stuck that one in my favorites. :^:

Mustang on
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, it's from PA:AC's deviantart group. They have some cool tutorials and stuff collected over there.

Paradise on
    edited August 2010
    Well, the guy in the orange shirt is intently staring at the television, so I wanted him to look that way. But that's something I'll work on. Thanks guys!

NibCrom on
    edited August 2010
    20100823.jpg

Any better on this one?

NibCrom on
  • JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My only beef is that he's looking up in the last panel, when he should be looking in the same direction as the scowl panel. Also, the scowl is pretty good :)

JLM-AWP on
    edited August 2010
    I see what you mean. I think I could've set up the geography better in that scene. I was aiming for him to look away, angry and then just shout the comeback at no one in particular. Maybe that was too complicated for how I had the panels set up. Thanks for the feedback, JLM.

NibCrom on
  • JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I figure I should at least return the favor. You've helped me a bunch.
    Dawww

JLM-AWP on
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    NibCrom wrote: »
    I see what you mean. I think I could've set up the geography better in that scene. I was aiming for him to look away, angry and then just shout the comeback at no one in particular. Maybe that was too complicated for how I had the panels set up. Thanks for the feedback, JLM.

i just thought he was challenging the deity of his choice to some sort of action figure combat.... i might just be very very ill.... mentally.

farbekrieg on
    edited August 2010
    Here's the next one.

Also, as of yesterday, Nibcrom Lives is five years old.

20100830.jpg

NibCrom on
    edited August 2010
    Congrats on 5 years Nib.

Also your dudes head (in the first panel) is on a wicked lean to the right from his jaw up. I find the best trick to avoiding that kind of stuff is to constantly flip horizontally, stops your eyes from becoming too comfortable.

Mustang on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Congrats NC :D

mensch-o-matic on
    edited August 2010
    Thanks, Mensch!

Thanks, Mustang!

Mustang - yeah, I see what you're talking about. I'm thinking I'll flip my pencils in Photoshop after they're scanned. Hopefully that will help me avoid mistakes like that in the future before I ink them. Good advice!

NibCrom on
    edited December 2010
    Secret Santa art for Slacktron:

slacktron.jpg

And a comic:

20100927.jpg

I've been trying to take your guyzes advice and draw eyes better and make expressions more clear.

NibCrom on
    edited December 2010
    Hey good comic!

You may want to do some more expression studies though cause that second panel doesn't really read as a disgusted face. It looks like he is sticking his tongue out while vacantly staring into the distance. Try to push it a bit more to the extreme methinks.

Great linework though, and I think you can be pushing the lineweight variation and camera angles a bit more too. The quality of the lines is certainly there, and it is so clean, so clean I could eat off it.

earthwormadam on
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Panel 2 expression is definitely the weakest link.

There're some really sweet books on expression if you've got a sack of Christmas munnies left over or something. I picked up this one awhile ago and it's helpful but not life-altering; I think the 5 star Amazon rating is a little much.

Since I'm here, now: an extremely belated congratulations on your 5 years. That's a lot of comics, and even more commitment.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Thanks, Adam. I'll see what I can do about more interesting camera angles. As far as line weight goes, do you think some of the lines should be thicker? Or just more different line weights?

Squidbunny - Yeah the more I look at that panel, the more the dialogue doesn't really match it. I added that book to my Amazon list, so thanks for that. And thanks for the congrats. (:

NibCrom on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah I would try to get some thicker lines in there, while also implementing some thinner ones also.

For example the second panel has pretty much the same line thickness for everything. The bottle he's holding in front of him is no thicker than the folds in his shirt, and the folds in his shirt are no thicker than his nose, ect ect. Learning to get a bit bolder with thick and thin will give the reader a better idea of the hierarchy of importance within the panels. I like when lines are shifting around dramatically in thickness from one end to the other, but obviously that may not be what you're looking to do with this comic. Cheers mate.

earthwormadam on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I'm inking on a Wacom. I'm not sure how to make the line thickness shift throughout the line. I ink pretty slowly, but that's something I wouldn't mind trying.

20110110.jpg

NibCrom on
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can't help but have radical line weight shifts when inking with a tablet; you must have yours set stiffer than mine. Mine generally feels like an overloaded brush. Or maybe you're just using a thinner weight, pressing hard and taking it slow? Either way, I'ma chime in and say that more width variance could add a little more visual interest, sure, but I've never had issues with your inks; they're not totally stale and static or anything.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg