As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel vs Capcom 3 - Fate of Two Worlds - Hopping removed due to infinite on Thor.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    More than anything else, I'd like to see infinites kept out or at least made so difficult they're impractical. Also, I'd really, really like supers balanced so that you can't have crap like Sentinel or Cable going through multiple super bars in the same combo.

And even if Capcom doesn't manage to catch all the broken crap before release (I really don't think they'll be able to), hopefully they've designed the game so they can patch anything broken. I'm all for competitive fighting being about actual fighting rather than broken reset combos or stupidly overpowered repeatable supers.

I don't think that will actually happen, but maybe we can something more like a dozen super characters this time instead of four or five.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • notsoynotsoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    yumadbrah.jpg

Just the input changes will probably make infinites many times more difficult, since most of them involved a great deal of triangle-jumping (which was greatly simplified with just mashing both kicks as opposed to having to double-tap the joystick)...unless they institute some other way to super-jump with just two buttons.

Hopefully, Capcom wises up and deals with infinites the way Guilty Gear did.

notsoy on
    Soul Silver FC: 1978 3200 2285
    GT: HitoriLionheart or dailydro
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Another thing to watch out for is how macros change the game.

For instance, while Wolverine has ground infinites, they're prohibitively hard to do with normal arcade controls since they involve continually cancelling dashes. When more effective button binding is available, like in ggpo, the combos become much, much easier to do, making him a top pick where he'd only be a really good pick.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    More than anything else, I'd like to see infinites kept out or at least made so difficult they're impractical.
    Don't they have hitstun scaling in this one that causes you to be able to block out of combos that go too long?

SabreMau on
  • KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't fucking stand the MvC1 announcer and Megaman's voice in it. They're both very, very grating.

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »
    More than anything else, I'd like to see infinites kept out or at least made so difficult they're impractical.
    Don't they have hitstun scaling in this one that causes you to be able to block out of combos that go too long?

Yeah, they put that in MvC2 and probably will have it in MvC3.

That being said. I think infinites were the least of MvC2's problems as far as broken stuff goes.

Dragkonias on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »

That being said. I think infinites were the least of MvC2's problems as far as broken stuff goes.

I think the most broken thing is that if one of the characters decided to fly and just stay up there almost half the cast would have a bitch of time catching them.

I mean, all the crazy Magneto and Sentinel and Blackheart and Cable combo stuff doesn't come close to the frustration of Runaway Storm.

Taramoor on
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Storm did that because she could sit up there and wiff moves to build meter right? They got rid of that and I believe even mentioned her as an example of why.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    89ed571e6536a9f7878d9b21bd54fff91024x576580w.jpg

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited July 2010

They didn't have hitstun scaling in MvC2. Damage scaling, sure, but hitstun scaling is the one where the hitstun for each move gets shorter and shorter until eventually they're able to start blocking attacks in the middle of your combo. The infinite protection in MvC2 was mostly limited to spinning you into the air (as in the previous games' dizzy mechanic) but having you come down fully able to block, attack, dash, or do anything. The response to that was players not doing infinite combos "infinitely", but stopping at a certain point and going for resets.

SabreMau on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Multiple reports have said that current builds of MvC3 have hitstun scaling similar to TvC's. And trust me, you can get some pretty gnarly stuff out of TvC's engine even with that system in place.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Barrabas wrote: »
    Storm did that because she could sit up there and wiff moves to build meter right? They got rid of that and I believe even mentioned her as an example of why.

Storm was basically a perfect storm (har har) of keepaway. She had a high super jump, could be made to fall really slowly, had an airdash, had an attack which let her basically dash twice after she'd already airdashed, could fly, and had a full-screen column attack which could be done almost fast enough to pin people without any assists. If you don't have somebody who can fly or have a full-screen anti-air attack, you basically just can't get her down. Pretty huge oversight.

Anyway, glad to hear about the scaling stunlock. How is that going to work with reset combos, though?

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited July 2010
    I'd assume you'd still have to deal with figuring out which way to block reset combos. If they can figure out how to keep things like the ROM or Iron Man infinites out that would go more towards removing opportunities to use them.

SabreMau on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    89ed571e6536a9f7878d9b21bd54fff91024x576580w.jpg

That's the best thing I ever saw.

I hope it does more damage the more health he has.

Taramoor on
    edited July 2010
    Or perhaps also how much super meter he has left after expending 3 levels. That's just the first hit. The next two hits involve him picking up his super bar.

SabreMau on
  • SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I love that picture. Deadpool is hilarious :lol:. But one thing has been bothering me, where is the "Pineapples!" thing Deadpool is always saying come from?

"I love me some guns" makes sense. "Shoryuken" makes sense. But i don't get the Pineapples thing.

Sivraj on
    XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Grenades.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Grenades.
    They've got five-five-sixers and pineapples.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Love the random Batista picture.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I want to see some Spider-Man.

One for JJ!

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I want to see some Spider-Man.

One for JJ!

I want to see deadpool versus deadpool

"I told you I could beat myself up!"

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Don't think this has been posted, but:
    At a panel for Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, held at Comic-Con, producer Ryota Niitsuma broke the hearts of Fantastic Four fans when he told a packed room that Marvel's First Family would not be playable in the game.

The news wasn't a surprise following the recent announcement that Super Skrull was in the game. Super Skrull can utilize the powers of all members of the Fantastic Four. Being able to play as just one of the Four really didn't seem to make sense and could even unbalance the game depending on character selection.

That doesn't mean the Fantastic Four won't make an appearance. Lead writer Frank Tieri stated that Marvel has allowed Capcom use of any character in its library for the cut-scenes of the various game endings. Expect plenty of cameos, perhaps even from the FF.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1108285p1.html

I can live with this.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The moment Super Skrull was made official it was obvious the FF were not gonna make it in. And I think it's great.
    Four more slots!

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Meh. The FF have pretty boring powers anyway. Super Skrull mixing them together make them a lot more interesting.

Dragkonias on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well...I do like the Human Torch. Now, The Thing would just basically be The Hulk. But lame.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    edited July 2010
    Well...I do like the Human Torch. Now, The Thing would just basically be The Hulk. But lame.

He's rich now though. So he'd be the Hulk with a Limo

King Riptor on
  • BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Who says The Thing would have to play like the Hulk? There's plenty of room for big guys. :P Besides, Marvel games need more good grapplers.

Torch and Thing would make interesting fighting game characters. There's plenty of rocky and firey stuff to give them to differenciate them from SS.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    edited July 2010
    Banshee wrote: »
    Who says The Thing would have to play like the Hulk? There's plenty of room for big guys. :P Besides, Marvel games need more good grapplers.

Torch and Thing would make interesting fighting game characters. There's plenty of rocky and firey stuff to give them to differenciate them from SS.

I think the Human Torch would easily be distinct enough to have a great fighting style. And the Thing wouldn't actually have to be much like the Hulk at all; Ben Grimm actually does a lot more wrestling-type stuff than just punching everything to death.

But I'd rather have the Super Skrull and three slots for unique characters than have the entire Fantastic Four cast. Maybe MvC4 can have a larger cast and thus include them (or at leas the Torch and Grimm).

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited July 2010
    Banshee wrote: »

The Thing doesn't have rock powers though.

He's got a bullet proof hide and super strength and in ultimate he can breathe any kind of air.

I do agree he'd have a more controlled style than the hulk though

King Riptor on
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, with everyone else from the avengers movie being in...i wonder what the chances of hawkeye being in this would be.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Skab wrote: »
    So, with everyone else from the avengers movie being in...i wonder what the chances of hawkeye being in this would be.

Hawk who?

*I know who Hawkeye is I was just giving you what the general public reaction would be.

Dragkonias on
  • Stand, Killer QueenStand, Killer Queen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm sure the same thing can be said for Morrigan and Deadpool. Maybe not Deadpool lately on account of the mediore movie he was in, but you know what I mean. "Super skrull who? Amata-who? Dormam-who? I remember that gay little Joe midget."

The "public" (that is to say, the people who buy it because it will be the trendy game of the week when it comes out) don't know shit.

Stand, Killer Queen on
    sig.gif
    edited July 2010
    I'm sure the same thing can be said for Morrigan and Deadpool. Maybe not Deadpool lately on account of the mediore movie he was in, but you know what I mean. "Super skrull who? Amata-who? Dormam-who? I remember that gay little Joe midget."

The "public" (that is to say, the people who buy it because it will be the trendy game of the week when it comes out) don't know shit.

Not really. Deadpool is the man in comics at the moment and Morrigan is recognizable if you've been playing games for the last decade.

Ammy's game was pretty recent and got some decent headline even if it did bomb.

Not to mention Hawkeye's costume is lame.

Dragkonias on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Not really. Deadpool is the man in comics at the moment and Morrigan is recognizable if you've been playing games for the last decade.

Actually no, the public doesn't know shit about 98% of comic book characters.

Even though Deadpool is infamous in the comic book scene, casuals still won't recognize him outside of that crappy Wolverine movie.

Godfather on
    edited July 2010
    Godfather wrote: »

Actually no, the public doesn't know shit about 98% of comic book characters.

Even though Deadpool is infamous in the comic book scene, casuals still won't recognize him outside of that crappy Wolverine movie.

Well...that's still enough though...quality of the appearance aside.

Dragkonias on
    edited July 2010
    In all fairness I think the Capcom library of characters are gonna get more of an initial run-through from casuals because they have the luxury of starring in their own blockbucker game franchises.

Which is why I want more Street Fighter characters dammit!

Godfather on
  • Stand, Killer QueenStand, Killer Queen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey it's Van Wilder- WHAT HAPPENED TO HIS FACE?
    Alright Deadpool- WHAT HAPPENED TO HIS MOUTH?

I'm pretty sure nobody was pleased by that movie by die-hard Snikt fans, heh.
    But yeah, I can easily imagine a lot of people, even those who like superheroes, had to wiki Super-Skrull and Dormammu.

To be honest, I don't even know what Dormammu's deal is besides trolling Doctor Strange.
    Godfather wrote: »
    Which is why I want more Street Fighter characters dammit!

Really? Usually their vs. rosters are 70% SF characters. Especially in the SNK games. Well, we got Frank West. That's a fucking victory in my book.

Stand, Killer Queen on
    sig.gif
    edited July 2010
    I thought Ryan Reynolds could have been a great Deadpool, he was just given practically nothing to work with. The dude was born to play that character, I mean come on.

Godfather on