As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm a [CHAT]man (Ski Ba Bop Ba Dop Bop)

1565758596062»

• Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Scrubs = comedy (with a bit of drama)

House = drama (with a bit of comedy)

I feel like I'm one of the only people that doesn't really like Scrubs. The type of humor is too "goofy-silly-lol-balloon-animal-funny-sounds".

Hah, and I thought I was the only one. I was turned off to that show after the first 5 minutes.

On a similar note: I really enjoyed that new show called Trauma. I hate that it got cancelled so quickly. Watch it on Hulu!

I guess I'm sort of part of the problem.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Painting a dodo bird on a toy piano makes me cheeeeerful :D

lyrium on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Maybe I'm the dumb one then.

PROX on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Mustang wrote: »
    Jesus christ that looks horrible.

Yeah, but I do fancy the title card at the end!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Trauma was offensively bad.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Never heard of it. Explanation?

PROX on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Trauma was offensively bad.
    I never said it was good, just that I liked it. I'm really into all of that first-repsonse stuff. Plus, I thought the "Rabbit" character was pretty intruiging. That's just my weak and useless opinion, though.

But the main chick and her boytoy were obnoxious, and her dad was a douche, and the ER guy was lame. That's it, you convinced me. It fucking sucked.

EDIT: PROX: It's a show about EMTs responding to 911 calls. And later, more interesting things.

I might as well type out each page, I swear, this phone is that fucking slow.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    God, that film is trying so hard to be cool. It's like they had a board meeting to brainstorm all the things them kids with their computerwebs are in to these days, and figured they'd find a unifying concept later. "We'll have them there dunjins and dragons and them samoorai and guns and titties. Kids these days like those right?"

Also, 'from the director of 300' is not a positive.

Flay on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Flay wrote: »
    Also, 'from the director of 300' is not a positive.

:^:

DeeLock on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    To be more specific, "Written and directed by the director of 300" is really not a positive. When I watched 300 and saw the fuckin' llama headed freakshow shit pop up, my reaction certainly was not, "Boy, I'd like to see what this guy could do with even more free reign!"

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    But Bacon, he didn't write 300! That shit was a true story.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't think Zach Snyder should catch hell for how 300 was written considering it was Frank Miller that authored it.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    You're missing the point.

The point is that this movie could be even worse than 300, because there is no one at the wheel, not even someone as fucking crazy as Frank Miller, to restrain Zach Snyder's....Syderniness.

H e ' l l p r o b a b l y w r i t e t h e s c r i p t l i k e t h i s s o y o u r e a d i t a l l i n s l o w m o t i o n f o r f u c k ' s s a k e .

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't know about 300 but Watchmen was amazing and Zack Snyder was a totally rad dude when he hung out with a room full of us for a screening of it. It was probably the highlight of the best vacation of my life. Also I got a suckerpunch shirt there but I lost it BAW BAW BAW

and Mango, when I said offensively bad, I actually meant I was literally offended by its existence. They brought Trauma on at the same time they canceled Southland. It was like, legit depiction of police force vs totally dramatized romanticized depiction of hospital shit. Southland was 'too dark and gritty' while they were promoting the shit out of Trauma.

edit: or maybe it was mercy, nono, I think all 3 were on at the same time, anyways, the fact that I can't tell trauma and mercy apart probably means they're -both- shit

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You people just don't understand art, goddammit.

Remember how I said I was going to bed 2 or so hours ago? I'm gonna try again now I guess.

EDIT: No I'm fucking not.

I need to check out Southland. Sounds interesting. Though I'll just end up mad when I get to the end of the series and realize that this shit is cancelled.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    One show which got cancelled that was actually good was Kings. The story was really cool, the actors were really good, and the whole setting had a lot of originality to it.

Sure, it was basically just a section of the bible told future-style, which can turn you off pretty quick, but I found it pretty easy to get past. And they weren't real pushy with it, either; there was a bit of bullshit, but most of it was just the King's struggle to keep power while this punkass kid (not actually a punkass) starts accidentally taking shit over.

I still won't come back and try to defend it when you all tell me how fucking shitty it is (not because it's not worth it, but because I couldn't make a strong argument to save my life) but this one would take a lot more convincing to get me to stop digging it. I think it was a really strong show, and it's probably for the better that it got cancelled. It stopped while it was ahead.

If you haven't seen it, check it out. I followed it on Hulu, but I don't know if they have all of the episodes still up there. If not, I'd say it's worth using up a spot in your Netflix queue.

EDIT: This thread will most likely be closed by the time I wake up tomorrow, so BYE CHAT THREAD! Love you!

Mangoes on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kochikens wrote: »
    They brought Trauma on at the same time they canceled Southland. It was like, legit depiction of police force vs totally dramatized romanticized depiction of hospital shit. Southland was 'too dark and gritty' while they were promoting the shit out of Trauma.

Southland is about to start showing on our channels over here and is being advertised a lot. Weird that it's been cancelled before it's even begun. I thought it looked pretty good.

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh, no, yeah. It got picked up by tnt right after NBC, those dumb fucks, cancelled it. Because its an amazing show. They're already filming the third season.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ahh, k. I guess it's worth watching then. 8-)

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    ugh what the hell, sat down to play starcraft. now its 3am.

PROX on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think I'm the only person on the PA forums who didn't like Watchmen. I saw it on the On Demand list and tried watching it. I had to fast forward through the intro about 5 minutes in to it because the song that played through the whole thing was physically painful to listen to.

It didn't improve much past then. :(

MKR on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ffffffffffffffffffffffff

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    I think I'm the only person on the PA forums who didn't like Watchmen. I saw it on the On Demand list and tried watching it. I had to fast forward through the intro about 5 minutes in to it because the song that played through the whole thing was physically painful to listen to.

I've never seen it, which says a lot about my interest in the movie.

Rorschach looked cool, but nothing else I'd seen really grabbed me.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Watchmen was OK, but I couldn't get into it.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jack3d ...

FEEL DA POWAH!

this shit cant be good for me. Im going to go break things.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    CountBlackulaCountBlackula MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you start turning green, let us know.

CountBlackula on
    8JHfoFW.png Dom's Sketch Cast
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, didn't we already have a 300 argument?

Beavo put up a pretty great argument for it as well that really couldn't be topped.

Godfather on
  • Options
    MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm a late arrival to the Zack Snyder discussion so you should probably pass this rant by and keep going.

I take issue with the movie of Watchmen.
    They turned the comedian's death in to a fightscene, when in the comic it was a murder.
    Rorschach was at one point during the move attached to wires. They made him nimble like a cat.
    He is a weeny sociopath not a ninja.

To be clear, I am not the biggest fanboy of Watchmen. I came along to the comics scene too late to appreciate it as the decade defining piece that it was. I did like 300. It was as un-ironic as the comic it came from and it just as manly, which is just about the only message that story had to offer. MAN GOOD. MAN STRONG. It was fun.

Watchmen missed the meta message of the comic. Watchmen was a comic about comics. The movie was a movie about superheroes.

The slow motion was appropriate in 300 because the format of the visuals of the comic. Widescreen. One panel per page. Very faithful.

The Watchmen comic was 9 panels a page. Violent sequences were given exactly as many panels as conversational ones. It was all about the conversations and the analysis of the violence, not the action. It was violence, murder.

I'll leave it to Scott McCloud. But 300 was faithful to Miller, who when given free reign makes stories like the spirit. Watchmen corrected some flaws in the story by Moore, but it told it without delivering it's message.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think Watchmen's problem was that it was a story really only suited for one medium.

A lot of the changes were made to sell some tickets, for good or bad. Even then the movie was kind of boring and very over-the-top in a few scenes, but it's not like they didn't try their best to make it work.

It's just one of those properties that wasn't meant to work in film.

Godfather on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    I hope they make a Top10 film next.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Grifter wrote: »
    I hope they make a Top10 film next.

Wow. I highly, highly doubt this would happen.

Also, you're the only other person I've ever heard talk about that comic. Interesting.

CountBlackula on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wanna win the chat thread!

Edit: English Question!

You have the Metropolitan Area... but what do you call the space outside it? It's for a phone directory
    Metro Area - 787-787-7878
    XXXX Area - 1-800-MagicToaster

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hey guys, is my birfday!

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    There are two films I never argue about, 1. Watchmen, 2. Hostel.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEELOCK : D

Kochikens on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DeeLock should get to make a birthday chat.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Happy BD, Deelock. How old are you?

Toaster, your question confuses the hell out of me. Am I just dumb?

Anyway, maybe you could call it the greater ______ area, or the _______ suburb? I dunno.

CountBlackula on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Ouch dude.

That was the best part of that movie in my opinion. Bob Dylan with the practically still images of the original watchmen, it was really cool and a great opening to the movie.

edit: I'll make a birthday chat! :P

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Bye again chat thread

EDIT: Make the title fucking good, Deelock. I have to stare at it for the next month!

Mangoes on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I get the feeling Sucker Punch is going to be one of those movies that I'm going to hate for being terrible (in not a good way), but there are going to be a lot of people around willing to go to great lengths to try to convince me it's good, thus annoying me and making me hate it even more.

Look at this:
    This isn't a movie. That's what's called a demo reel.

That looks completely retarded, but it also looks fun, so I'll probably end up seeing it.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Watchmen as a film was okay at best but if you are talking shit about Bob Dylan you can just fuck off and die in a car fire, you uncultured swine.

Spectre-x on
This discussion has been closed.