As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

(Doodle) All Night Long (NSFW)

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Now colour and render it.

Mustang on
  • MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would, but then I would have to painstakingly color and render it and still have the final result of an ugly lady; BUT IN FULL COLOR!

EDIT: Also I didn't save it as a PSD because I am dumb like that.

EDIT 2: Another drawrin'.
    http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa136/bucketCANVAS/derivative-1.png

EDIT 3: Changed it so his neck and the back of his head weren't so monstrous.
    notatallderivative.png

Mangoes on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    CapnMango wrote: »
    ugly.png
    I made the ugliest woman I could possibly make. Trying to get used to making thin lines look clean.

this is awesome

Tam on
    edited July 2010
    Just my luck. The thing I spend 15 minutes on and think everyone will hate gets more compliments than the thing I worked for 2 hours on.

But thanks. I still appreciate the compliment.

Mangoes on
    edited July 2010
    yep, same thing has happened to me too

Tam on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That is super cool Mango. I mean god damn, I think you found your style.

Godfather on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For some reason when I look at her, I get the impression she would be even more ugly if she smiled, somehow. Luckily I also get the impression that she is not about to smile any time soon.

lyrium on
  • AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    circles03.png

I doodled again

edit: fixed

AgentofOrange on
    edited July 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    That is super cool Mango. I mean god damn, I think you found your style.
    Noooooo!!!! What have I done?

Is this some sort of evil prank you people are all in on?

Mangoes on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We found a mango cobbler recipe that everyone really wants to try.

MKR on
  • AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    sisterray02.png

AgentofOrange on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    lady.jpg

birdandflag.jpg

I'm trying to get more comfortable with ink, so I made doodles.

lyrium on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lyrium, that top ink is excellent.

AoO: I likes it.

F87 on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just a quick comp, but I'm liking this one so far.

runner.jpg

Wassermelone on
    edited July 2010
    I love your stuff, wasser. Do you have a website where I can look at more of your work? I looked yesterday but I couldn't find one.

I'm enjoying the brushes, by the way.

Mangoes on
    edited July 2010
    CapnMango wrote: »
    I love your stuff, wasser. Do you have a website where I can look at more of your work? I looked yesterday but I couldn't find one.

I'm enjoying the brushes, by the way.

Thanks Mango!

I havn't posted my website here in the past for reasons, but thats changed a bit, so here: http://whitmorian.com/

Wassermelone on
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    0718.jpg

So pumped for August 13th! :D

melting_doll on
  • multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Caveat: I never really paint any kind of landscapes. That said, I'm having a really hard time with this one, because I can't get the ground to look good in either the fore or background. Any pointers?

speedpaint7-25-1.jpg

multimoog on
    edited July 2010
    It doesn't look like the moonlight is mixing with the shadows created by the light in the trees. Might help a bit, but I'm not even at novice level when it comes to painting so can't be sure.

MKR on
  • multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wouldn't be opposed to a paint-over, if someone thinks they're BAD enough!

(of a Dude to rescue the President)

multimoog on
    edited July 2010
    multimoog wrote: »
    I wouldn't be opposed to a paint-over, if someone thinks they're BAD enough!

(of a Dude to rescue the President)

you were warned

speedpaint7-25-1.jpg
    speedpaint7251paintover.jpg

The bottom of the trees also need some reflected light from the ground and mystery light in the trees, but that's so far out of my league that I won't even try.

I've seen what a full moon does to the world when there's no artificial light. Everything's painted blue, even the shadows. Very nice to look at.

MKR on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    0718.jpg

Really awesome! She looks 'BADass'. I think her closest foot should be a tad bit bigger. Its looking a little small at the moment.
    also, i dont like her nose. it doesnt fit her frame of face.

all up nice design and colours.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited July 2010
    melting_doll is trying to give us the diabeetus.

MKR on
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ramona

Really awesome! She looks 'BADass'. I think her closest foot should be a tad bit bigger. Its looking a little small at the moment.
    also, i dont like her nose. it doesnt fit her frame of face.

all up nice design and colours.

Thanks! I am terrible with feet at different angles other than profile. I'll probably work on fixing it a little later, and I kind of agree with the nose myself..Thanks for the pointers (:

melting_doll on
  • AimAim Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    multimoog wrote: »
    Caveat: I never really paint any kind of landscapes. That said, I'm having a really hard time with this one, because I can't get the ground to look good in either the fore or background. Any pointers?

(night scene with forest)

One thing, the lights cast on the ground on the left by the mystery light are very parallel - that would place the light quite a bit to the right of the image (out of view), and conflicts with the apparent place between the right trees

Aim on
    edited July 2010
    Errr.......help!

I feel like I've hit a roadblock with this.

bhunter.jpg

Mustang on
  • ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If it's intended to be like a fighting stance, you probably need to match the legs and waist to the positions of his arms.

At first I thought he was begging and holding out a cup.

Chromatomic on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TrollKochi.png

Kochikens on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nice one kochi! I should do one too.

PROX on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    @Mustang: I think you're running into a lot of problems as a result of trying to work out the drawing's structure and the painting at the same time, which is leading to an overemphasis on details, and too little emphasis on the light. For example, in trying to work out the folds of cloth, you've made each fold extremely contrasty and very much its own sort of object, rather than being subservient to the broader, overall forms- the block of the torso, the cylinders that make up the arms, etc.

It's also leading to you forgetting things like the broad brim of the hat casting a shadow on the coat, the coat casting a shadow on the feet.

I also suspect that while you're trying to design this character, you're trying to figure out the local colors- 'oh this is white, this is blue', so you stick those colors in- but when you think about the light and where it's coming form, those colors would be stuck into shadow or effected far more by the light's color than the local color, so it ends up looking out of place, and unrealistic.

I did a quick paintover here, but look at what I did with it- it looks more realistic and solid, but how I got there was stripping away and simplifying detail, not adding it. To be sure, in a more finished illustration, there would be more detail, but being able to figure out this broad, overall read is what will make the subsequent additional details hold up.
    Mustang_Bot.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited July 2010
    bacon whenever you post lighting-oriented drawovers I hiss out a little sound of pleasure and right click save

Kochikens on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    @Kochi: Well, uh, strap in, I guess.

@MM: The major problem, in my view, isn't the ground, it's the sky. Biggest major point is that at night (or really, any time of day other than noon on a clear day), it can't really be assumed that clouds are going to be white. Clouds have a density to them that blocks light, so most clouds you see at night will appear black when viewed from the ground, excepting very thin areas of cloud where the moonlight can penetrate that density. So in order to appear believable, even when given a stylized treatment, the clouds should reflect this idea- right now, the clouds appear to glow unnaturally, and are therefore far more conspicuous in the composition than they should be.

Moving beyond that, I'd bring up your color choices- given, any night scene is going to require a bit of imagination because otherwise the viewer would wonder why they're looking at a picture that's 90% black, but I'm detailing my somewhat subjective choices to make a point.

In your original, the major colors are defined by white, a deep purple, and black. While this can work, it does tend to make the colors a little flatter, a little more drawing-like than paint-like, if you get my meaning. What I've done is try to introduce more of a color temperature shift- I've used white very sparingly, and replaced most of the previous highlights with a warmer, cyanish color, and used that to gradient into the cooler deeper purple/blue in the darks. This makes for a softer, more interesting color transition, as well as holding back whites for where it can be really used to make a bold, contrasty statement, ie: the moon. I also used this with the light in the forest- rather than just be a yellow light, having it transition to another color creates more contrast within the light, making the source more obvious, and creating a greater sense of depth. The result is that it appears to be a bolder statement, even though that technically, the value of the light is actually dimmer than in the original.

MM_night.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited July 2010
    Thanks Bacon, I was secretly hoping you'd give me a paintover.

Makes way more sense to simplify the shape to get the light and colours down before hitting the details.

Mustang on
    edited July 2010
    Workin workin workin

runner3.jpg

Wassermelone on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Your color scheme is beautiful. I love the composition as well, even though I feel it would benefit from being a little wider set. But I make all of my stuff way to square and boring, so I'm sure this way works better.

Does your wife realize how talented you are? Also, I keep forgetting I shared a hostel with you! I was severely impressed with your skills then and even more so now. Keep up the awesome work, Wass-san!

F87 on
    edited July 2010
    ugh wasser that is fucking beautiful, that colour scheme is just
    everything I want to do

Kochikens on
    edited July 2010
    F87 wrote: »
    Your color scheme is beautiful. I love the composition as well, even though I feel it would benefit from being a little wider set. But I make all of my stuff way to square and boring, so I'm sure this way works better.

Does your wife realize how talented you are? Also, I keep forgetting I shared a hostel with you! I was severely impressed with your skills then and even more so now. Keep up the awesome work, Wass-san!

Thanks! ... Frank :)
    I'm terrible with names, I'm surprised I didn't have to look that up. And man, that must have been what, four years ago? Will we ever be together again my dar... oh right, PUBLIC forums! Er.

My wife tells me she really likes my stuff... but its my wife -- can't trust her. Its probably a set up :P

Wassermelone on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My wife tells me she really likes my stuff... but its my wife -- can't trust her. Its probably a set up :P

She probably has the hots for you or something. You'd better steer clear - we all know where THAT leads!
    cooties.

NightDragon on
    edited July 2010

I don't trust my wife either, she says she likes my stuff, but my I know deep down that she secretly thinks it's all terrible.

Mustang on
    edited July 2010
    yesterday I was looking for stuff to draw
    kochikens said I should draw two dudes makin out

so I drew two dudes makin out

125tni0.jpg

Tam on
This discussion has been closed.